IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , racism charges , Trump campaign , Trump supporters

Reply
Old 25th October 2016, 11:18 AM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 50,315
Trump's Little Stormtroopers....

Good article on how the White Nationalists have inflirtrated the Trump Campaign.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...t-right-214388

It does the best job of explaining why the White Nationalists have such love for Trump despite his Jewish connections and why Donald has de facto accepted their support,when any other GOP candidate would have ran away from them.

So the party of Lincoln has come to this....
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 11:31 AM   #2
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 50,412
Infiltrated? I figured they were there right from the start. It is the problem with when someone is calling trump a nazi, you don't know if they are a trump supporter or opponent.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 08:49 PM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 40,235
No, he said "inflirtrated". They dress in women's clothes, and Donald grabs their crotches.
__________________
If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 09:12 PM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,639
Once Trump tanks this election, his "2nd Amendment" people might be a greater danger to him than Clinton, especially since he will be freshly out of Secret Service protection or campaign money to pay for private security.
__________________
So what are you going to do about it, huh?
What would an intellectual do?
What would Plato do?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 09:34 PM   #5
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 20,227
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Good article on how the White Nationalists have inflirtrated the Trump Campaign.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...t-right-214388

It does the best job of explaining why the White Nationalists have such love for Trump despite his Jewish connections and why Donald has de facto accepted their support,when any other GOP candidate would have ran away from them.

So the party of Lincoln has come to this....
Question....a very weird, tongue in cheek question

So I am probably the whitest person ever (23andme has me as 99%+ northern and eastern European, much to my surprise). If I were ever to believe there was an inferior race.....it would definitely be white people. If I took measures to advance us inferior white people, is that still as ugly as white supremecy?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 09:49 PM   #6
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,618
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Question....a very weird, tongue in cheek question

So I am probably the whitest person ever (23andme has me as 99%+ northern and eastern European, much to my surprise). If I were ever to believe there was an inferior race.....it would definitely be white people. If I took measures to advance us inferior white people, is that still as ugly as white supremecy?
I'll take your question seriously. Sometimes race is a way to avoid talking about social and economic class. The Tea Party and Trump phenomena are partly, if not largely, the result of the fact that the elites in both parties are contemptuous of working-class whites. There are pockets of rural white poverty in the U.S. that are every bit as terrible as urban black poverty, and where the victims are equally helpless against larger social forces. If you were to develop programs to improve education in Appalachia, say, or retrain out-of-work West Virginia coal miners to earn a decent living in other fields, most of the people you would be helping would be white. But the focus would be on economic need, not skin color. That's way different from promoting the KKK. So what "measures" do you have in mind?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 09:53 PM   #7
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 20,227
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I'll take your question seriously. Sometimes race is a way to avoid talking about social and economic class. The Tea Party and Trump phenomena are partly, if not largely, the result of the fact that the elites in both parties are contemptuous of working-class whites. There are pockets of rural white poverty in the U.S. that are every bit as terrible as urban black poverty, and where the victims are equally helpless against larger social forces. If you were to develop programs to improve education in Appalachia, say, or retrain out-of-work West Virginia coal miners to earn a decent living in other fields, most of the people you would be helping would be white. But the focus would be on economic need, not skin color. That's way different from promoting the KKK. So what "measures" do you have in mind?
My primary concerns are our food sucks, our music sucks, our penises are small, we are less attractive, our dancing sucks, our parties suck....I could go on.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 10:11 PM   #8
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,207
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Good article on how the White Nationalists have inflirtrated the Trump Campaign.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...t-right-214388

It does the best job of explaining why the White Nationalists have such love for Trump despite his Jewish connections and why Donald has de facto accepted their support,when any other GOP candidate would have ran away from them.

So the party of Lincoln has come to this....
2 days ago Trump supporters started yelling "lugenpresse" at the media. That is NAZI language yelled at the press during Hitler rallies. It means "lying press". History is repeating itself.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 10:41 PM   #9
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Once Trump tanks this election, his "2nd Amendment" people might be a greater danger to him than Clinton, especially since he will be freshly out of Secret Service protection or campaign money to pay for private security.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 11:01 PM   #10
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,207
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Once Trump tanks this election, his "2nd Amendment" people might be a greater danger to him than Clinton, especially since he will be freshly out of Secret Service protection or campaign money to pay for private security.
He'll get about a week.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 11:08 PM   #11
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Posted the link elsewhere, but as long as we're talking about stormtroopers, here's the latest plan from Brownshirt Roger Stone (who me, I didn't do that, it must've been one of the staff, no really, I was at my haberdasher).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0a03911ee03bc
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 12:28 AM   #12
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,181
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
2 days ago Trump supporters started yelling "lugenpresse" at the media. That is NAZI language yelled at the press during Hitler rallies. It means "lying press". History is repeating itself.
Jesus...

I wonder how many of them do this knowingly. Things are getting increasingly scary.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 12:52 AM   #13
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 25,731
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Infiltrated? I figured they were there right from the start. It is the problem with when someone is calling trump a nazi, you don't know if they are a trump supporter or opponent.
Not quite from the start if you read the article. It is long though and I skimmed some parts of it. Here's how it ends:

Quote:
Some white nationalists were upset by the recent release of the 2005 “Access Hollywood” tape capturing Trump bragging about sexual assault. But many attributed the leak and subsequent accusations of sexual misconduct to a Jewish conspiracy.

So they were primed when, in a speech in Florida last week, Trump blasted “those who control the levers of power in Washington, and … the global special interests.” He accused Clinton of conspiring with “international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich these global financial powers.”

For many Americans, these references might seem merely paranoid. But the hard-won, faithful white nationalist converts to Trumpism had heard and used these terms for decades. And they had a clear idea what their candidate’s words meant.

The headline on the VNN Forum that night? “Trump Just Forced the Lying Press to Admit the Kikes Run the World.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...#ixzz4OAuIYQog
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
I really did wonder when he started talking about "international bankers" whether that was a code word.

Donald Trump’s ‘international bankers’ speech leaves some uneasy

Official campaign tweet:

Quote:
"@HillaryClinton meets in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich" her donors. - DJT
Technically I suppose she has in fact met in private (not "in secret") with major banks that conduct global business. I don't think "the destruction of U.S. sovereignty" was the goal, although "enriching her donors" may be involved.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 03:04 AM   #14
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 50,412
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Jesus...

I wonder how many of them do this knowingly. Things are getting increasingly scary.
I would imagine most of them, it isn't an american term, so why wouldn't they be getting it from the Nazi affiliations? Nazi's love him after all so why doubt that those supporters were nazi's?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9069bedcdd9d
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 03:07 AM   #15
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 50,412
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Not quite from the start if you read the article. It is long though and I skimmed some parts of it. Here's how it ends:
And so what? White nationalists support trump and view him as a nazi because they view that as a good thing. That is a basic fact so why should more ties between the trump group and white nationalists be surprising? Trump has repeatedly refused to distance himself from them.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 03:19 AM   #16
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,402
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Jesus...

I wonder how many of them do this knowingly. Things are getting increasingly scary.
I'd assume anyone who uses it. IIRC, it's a term that's not used in Germany anymore, and given the number of Trump fans online that are fond of pictures of Pepe shoving jewish people into gas chambers and the like...

(IOW, its already far worse than that among the white nationalists)
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 03:37 AM   #17
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,181
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I'd assume anyone who uses it. IIRC, it's a term that's not used in Germany anymore, and given the number of Trump fans online that are fond of pictures of Pepe shoving jewish people into gas chambers and the like...

(IOW, its already far worse than that among the white nationalists)
I wonder what our resident Trump apologists have to say about this.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 05:09 AM   #18
NoahFence
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 22,131
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I wonder what our resident Trump apologists have to say about this.
Well I'm sure those that remain will chime in. Sunmaster seems to have taken his ball and gone home, but logger and TBD will no doubt ignore it.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:19 AM   #19
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I wonder what our resident Trump apologists have to say about this.
I'd have to see a link first.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:21 AM   #20
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Well I'm sure those that remain will chime in. Sunmaster seems to have taken his ball and gone home, but logger and TBD will no doubt ignore it.
I can't respond to every hairbrained liberal comment posted, I have children, a wonderful wife and thriving businesses, but you know I'd like to respond.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:35 AM   #21
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
So the party of Lincoln has come to this....
Lol

Another bs article from the left holding onto their playbook of racism. I wonder if there are just as many racist blacks, latinos, jews and Europeans? If Trump says we have to close our borders because its out of control and a bunch of racists agree with it, somehow the party of Lincoln is now racist. That is some contorted thought that is rife with typical liberal EMOTIONALISM.

Trump will carry the largest % of black votes since the sixties, why, because they don't like hillary.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:38 AM   #22
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 13,307
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol

Another bs article from the left holding onto their playbook of racism. I wonder if there are just as many racist blacks, latinos, jews and Europeans? If Trump says we have to close our borders because its out of control and a bunch of racists agree with it, somehow the party of Lincoln is now racist. That is some contorted thought that is rife with typical liberal EMOTIONALISM.

Trump will carry the largest % of black votes since the sixties, why, because they don't like hillary.
'logger' may actually be right about something.

I expect that Trump will get about the same percentage of the black vote that Barry Goldwater did back in 1964.

As far as I can tell, Goldwater hardly got any of the black vote since Johnson got the Civil Rights Act passed in 1964; and considering the numerous racists that have been supporting Trump since he declared, then I do not expect too many African Americans to be voting for Trump.
__________________
I can barely believe that I made it through the Trump presidency.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 26th October 2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: To add the last sentence
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:47 AM   #23
Jrrarglblarg
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,673
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol

Another bs article from the left holding onto their playbook of racism. I wonder if there are just as many racist blacks, latinos, jews and Europeans? If Trump says we have to close our borders because its out of control and a bunch of racists agree with it, somehow the party of Lincoln is now racist. That is some contorted thought that is rife with typical liberal EMOTIONALISM.

Trump will carry the largest % of black votes since the sixties, why, because they don't like hillary.


Bookmarked for revisiting on the 9th.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:49 AM   #24
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 25,048
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And so what? White nationalists support trump and view him as a nazi because they view that as a good thing. That is a basic fact so why should more ties between the trump group and white nationalists be surprising? Trump has repeatedly refused to distance himself from them.
The point is that the White Nationalist community didn't support Trump at first. His rhetoric, culminating in "global special interests", has had the effect of recruiting them to his cause, wittingly or not.

I doubt it's wittingly in Trump's case, but may be (and almost certainly is, in my opinion) witting in those around him who feed him his sound-bites.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:52 AM   #25
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 25,048
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Trump will carry the largest % of black votes since the sixties, why, because they don't like hillary.
The obvious question is why you think you have a clue as to what "they" feel about Hillary Clinton.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:56 AM   #26
NoahFence
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 22,131
Originally Posted by logger View Post

Trump will carry the largest % of black votes since the sixties, why, because they don't like hillary.
Did someone move this thread to the humor subforum when I wasn't looking?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:56 AM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 50,315
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
The point is that the White Nationalist community didn't support Trump at first. His rhetoric, culminating in "global special interests", has had the effect of recruiting them to his cause, wittingly or not.

I doubt it's wittingly in Trump's case, but may be (and almost certainly is, in my opinion) witting in those around him who feed him his sound-bites.
Steve Bannon, he campaign strategists, is an important figure in "alt.right".

No doubt, that if Trump were elected, he would have a problem with alt.reich, in a sort of Hitler/Rohm situation.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:57 AM   #28
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,837
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
The point is that the White Nationalist community didn't support Trump at first. His rhetoric, culminating in "global special interests", has had the effect of recruiting them to his cause, wittingly or not.

I doubt it's wittingly in Trump's case, but may be (and almost certainly is, in my opinion) witting in those around him who feed him his sound-bites.
I think it was more a realization that the Orange Menace and white supremacists beliefs aligned. The campaign has aggressively courted them with the effort headed by Donnie Jr.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 01:14 PM   #29
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16,999
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
2 days ago Trump supporters started yelling "lugenpresse" at the media. That is NAZI language yelled at the press during Hitler rallies. It means "lying press". History is repeating itself.
Not quite right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lying_press
The term "Lügenpresse" predates the Nazi rule by several generations, and it has been used by conservatives, leftists, nationalists and anarchists alike at different times in different places.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I'd assume anyone who uses it. IIRC, it's a term that's not used in Germany anymore, and given the number of Trump fans online that are fond of pictures of Pepe shoving jewish people into gas chambers and the like...

(IOW, its already far worse than that among the white nationalists)
Your recollection would be mistaken. It has become highly popular among populist and nationalistic protesters in recent years, complete with threats against journalists, so much so that "Lügenpresse" was named the "Un-word of the year" in 2014.
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 01:32 PM   #30
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,181
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Not quite right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lying_press
The term "Lügenpresse" predates the Nazi rule by several generations, and it has been used by conservatives, leftists, nationalists and anarchists alike at different times in different places.


Your recollection would be mistaken. It has become highly popular among populist and nationalistic protesters in recent years, complete with threats against journalists, so much so that "Lügenpresse" was named the "Un-word of the year" in 2014.
As I understand it then, it's a term used by far-right anti-immigration activists in Germany.

Interesting to hear it at a Trump rally.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 01:38 PM   #31
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16,999
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
As I understand it then, it's a term used by far-right anti-immigration activists in Germany.

Interesting to hear it at a Trump rally.
Yes, that is a large issue among those using it. The xenophobic "Pegida" movement ("Patriotic Europeans against the islamisation of the occident") made it popular, the right-populist, anti-European party AfD ("Alternative for Germany") uses it with much consciousness.
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 01:39 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 50,315
And Alex Jones,who Trump has said nothing but good things about goes full Anti Semite.....

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/26/alex...urt-americans/

Jones has been edging around Anti Semitism for years, but now he Really Goes There Full Tilt.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 01:56 PM   #33
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient
 
Firestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,992
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And Alex Jones,who Trump has said nothing but good things about goes full Anti Semite.....

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/26/alex...urt-americans/

Jones has been edging around Anti Semitism for years, but now he Really Goes There Full Tilt.
Will the US mainstream networks dare ask Trump or one of his main surrogates to clearly condemn this?
__________________
The method of science is tried and true. It is not perfect, it's just the best we have. And to abandon it, with its skeptical protocols is the pathway to a dark age. -- Carl Sagan
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 02:09 PM   #34
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,207
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Not quite right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lying_press
The term "Lügenpresse" predates the Nazi rule by several generations, and it has been used by conservatives, leftists, nationalists and anarchists alike at different times in different places.


Your recollection would be mistaken. It has become highly popular among populist and nationalistic protesters in recent years, complete with threats against journalists, so much so that "Lügenpresse" was named the "Un-word of the year" in 2014.
Not my recollection, but my information. Thanks for the new information.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 04:02 PM   #35
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
The obvious question is why you think you have a clue as to what "they" feel about Hillary Clinton.
Because unlike you I'm a citizen of this great country.

And I hear many who just don't like her, but it would be common sense that she isn't going to get as many votes as the first black president.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 04:05 PM   #36
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Anyone have any proof of this "un-word" actually being yelled at a rally?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 04:10 PM   #37
NoahFence
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 22,131
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Because unlike you I'm a citizen of this great country.

And I hear many who just don't like her, but it would be common sense that she isn't going to get as many votes as the first black president.
Backtracking now?

Pathetic.

Trump will be damn lucky to get 2% of the black vote, never mind most of it.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 04:12 PM   #38
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28,207
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Anyone have any proof of this "un-word" actually being yelled at a rally?
I saw a CNN video on YouTube. Also reported by the Washington Post.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RosieGray...85264282271744

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...a-trump-rally/
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.

Last edited by acbytesla; 26th October 2016 at 04:14 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 04:19 PM   #39
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16,999
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Anyone have any proof of this "un-word" actually being yelled at a rally?
Yes. The source seems to be BuzzFeed's Rosie Gray:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/t...ARK#.iad7wAK40
There is a video in that article. Short transcript of two men talking, one of them holding a "Make America great again" sign:

Maga-man: "Okay. That's what you are." (Pointing at journalists, apparently)
Other man: "How do you say that?"
Maga man: "Lügenpresse!"
Other man: "Lügenpresse!"
Maga man: "You say it right."
Other man: "I know. ... You're all in bed with the Clintons. You're all bought and payed for..."
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 04:19 PM   #40
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Backtracking now?

Pathetic.

Trump will be damn lucky to get 2% of the black vote, never mind most of it.
Did I say most of it? 2% seems like wishful thinking on your part.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.