IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , racism charges , Trump campaign , Trump supporters

Old 2nd November 2016, 11:08 AM   #361
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If Trump wins, I am expecteing a huge uptick in violence directed at minorities.
I figure this will happen either way. I am expecting an uptick in political violence on the far right no matter who wins.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 02:30 PM   #362
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Congratulations. You are now going to be an official, proper sort of poll watcher. The kind they have everywhere, but not the sort the loonier trumpers are looking for. Do you have cammo fatuiges and an AR-15?
Yep, I'm an official part of the official officialness.

Oh! Better do this right!

TrumpTrooper Update:
Just got back from 4 hours watching nothing exciting happen. I saw the official county election judges doing their best to help an old man who had lost his wallet. They ended up accepting his name on a piece of joint paperwork his wife found in her purse. I saw a judge wander over to a deaf couple and use clumsy but functional ASL to help them get the ID issues organized.

I have no idea what naive and ignorant vision Trump had for sending observers out to watch the election, but this is the real deal: what I'm doing is within the ordinary mechanics of the election, approved and legal at Federal, State and County levels. Any "watcher" who hasn't taken the Secretary of State's training gets a yellow lanyard and you can stay the hell over there and watch. I got a green lanyard and was allowed to see stuff the judges were doing, including looking over their shoulders at the voter registration database.

Trump's original idiotic call to action would have untrained derps interfering with the Secretary of State-appointed judges with no authorization, authority, agency, legitimacy, freedom of movement or ability to actually do the job of Poll Watching in any functional, or efficatious manner. And it would be very easy for a gaggle of ignorant dipwads to break laws at county, state and federal level.

I saw nothing worthy of comment, excessive curiosity or paperwork.

Saturday I will be at County watching some portion of morning ballot handling and preparations.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 2nd November 2016 at 02:34 PM.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 02:31 PM   #363
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol sure go talk with them, they aren't the ones the world is concerned over.
I do. Almost every day. Nadir is one of my gym buddies. I was saying that you should actually talk to one instead of living in fear.

Quote:
And I doubt you even understand that, your whole premise I've been playing with is just simple denial.
Judging by your flailing around with the Scotsman, you don't understand my premise.

Now then, are you voting for the guy who wants to stirs gain of their rights?
Old 2nd November 2016, 03:09 PM   #364
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
I do. Almost every day. Nadir is one of my gym buddies. I was saying that you should actually talk to one instead of living in fear.

Judging by your flailing around with the Scotsman, you don't understand my premise.

Now then, are you voting for the guy who wants to stirs gain of their rights?
Yup, I probably know more practicing Muslims than Christians. I do know some Biblical literalists as well, but they tend to be wrong-headed on many other things so I try to avoid them.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 03:27 PM   #365
logger
Banned

Dear, its not fear, its reality. Have you ever asked him why muslims are running around the world causing mayhem wherever they go? What does he say about Jihad? How does he defend Muhammad's zeal to spread Islam by the sword.

Finally, how is it that leftists like you seem to have a soft spot for the most violent religion ever created, then as people question it, its all about fear. It really is a ridiculous premise you're pedaling here.

Yes, I know your answer will be "not my muslim friends, they're good muslims" well that's wonderful, theirs billions who would like to cut your head off. Who needs a head when sand covers so much of it?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 03:30 PM   #366
NoahFence
Banned

Quote:
Finally, how is it that leftists like you seem to have a soft spot for the most violent religion ever created, then as people question it, its all about fear. It really is a ridiculous premise you're pedaling here.
The number of Jihadists vs how many Muslims there are in the world is so small as to almost be laughable, were it not for that small number being so violent.

The large number if morons insisting that all Muslims subscribe to Jihad is also laughable.

So thanks for that.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 03:35 PM   #367
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
The number of Jihadists vs how many Muslims there are in the world is so small as to almost be laughable, were it not for that small number being so violent.
Total BS. You haven't a clue, you're simply in denial.
Quote:
The large number if morons insisting that all Muslims subscribe to Jihad is also laughable.

So thanks for that.
You're reading with nothing but emotion again, I never said all were, way too many are. Muslims have to ignore what the book says and "choose" to not be apart of actual Islam.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 03:36 PM   #368
Jrrarglblarg

Dear, its not fear, its reality. Have you ever asked him why muslims are running around the world causing mayhem wherever they go? What does he say about Jihad? How does he defend Muhammad's zeal to spread Islam by the sword.

Finally, how is it that leftists like you seem to have a soft spot forthe most violent religion ever created, then as people question it, its all about fear. It really is a ridiculous premise you're pedaling here.

Yes, I know your answer will be "not my muslim friends, they're good muslims" well that's wonderful, theirs billions who would like to cut your head off. Who needs a head when sand covers so much of it?
Facts, in response to the bold assertion
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-most-violent/
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 03:42 PM   #369
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
Facts, in response to the bold assertion
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-most-violent/
Opinion, that anyone who follows the news can see is crap.
Old 2nd November 2016, 03:57 PM   #370
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Logger has apparently never heard of the Crusades, the Inqusition,the Religious Wars in Europe in the 16th and 17th century,, the Witch Hysteria,the Persecution of the Jews in the Middle Ages,etc. Not trying to defend the record of Islam...which is not quite as good when it comes to tolerance as some Historians have it...but Christinity is no damn better.
Yes, Islam is going through a bad period, but so did Christanity.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 2nd November 2016 at 03:58 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 04:01 PM   #371
Jrrarglblarg

Logger has apparently never heard of the Crusades, the Inqusition,the Religious Wars in Europe in the 16th and 17th century,, the Witch Hysteria,the Persecution of the Jews in the Middle Ages,etc. Not trying to defend the record of Islam...which is not quite as good when it comes to tolerance as some Historians have it...but Christinity is no damn better.
But but but 2016 now!!! "Christendom" hasn't made war on anyone for at least a week.
Old 2nd November 2016, 04:01 PM   #372
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Heck. I know a 'Christian' who advocates that all 'leftists' should be rounded up, and sent to the coast, or to camps or something. Should I apply that to ALL Christians?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 04:04 PM   #373
Jrrarglblarg

Opinion, that anyone who follows the news can see is crap.
Facts are not opinions. Facts are not limited to a myopic, cherry-picked view of history that starts in 1956.
Old 2nd November 2016, 04:46 PM   #374
NoahFence
Banned

Total BS. You haven't a clue, you're simply in denial.

You're reading with nothing but emotion again, I never said all were, way too many are. Muslims have to ignore what the book says and "choose" to not be apart of actual Islam.
Way too many, huh?

Give me a number. How many muslims are there and how many are jihadists?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 04:48 PM   #375
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe you should all take your Jihad to its own thread.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 04:52 PM   #376
logger
Banned

Sure I have, they were the wrong answer to Islam. But it gets a little tiresome when Islam does these things, the anti god atheists and skeptics here want to bring up the ills of Christianity from the 16th and 17th century. None of you can lay blame on what is happening NOW. Its clear most of you have a soft spot for Islam, that's fine with me, it actually makes sense that you would align with it.
Old 2nd November 2016, 05:02 PM   #377
Jrrarglblarg

Sure I have, they were the wrong answer to Islam. But it gets a little tiresome when Islam does these things, the anti god atheists and skeptics here want to bring up the ills of Christianity from the 16th and 17th century. None of you can lay blame on what is happening NOW. Its clear most of you have a soft spot for Islam, that's fine with me, it actually makes sense that you would align with it.
Horse poop and off topic, with an ad hom chaser.

This thread is about Trump's Little Stormtroopers.
Old 2nd November 2016, 05:18 PM   #378
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Dear, its not fear, its reality. Have you ever asked him why muslims are running around the world causing mayhem wherever they go?
... it's not fear but we should be afraid of the mayhem? Of all 1.whatever billion of them?
Quote:
What does he say about Jihad?
They, I know several. Of course all of them struggle with different things. As far as a military Jihad? None agree with ISIS, ISIL, etc...

Quote:
How does he defend Muhammad's zeal to spread Islam by the sword.
They don't agree with it.

Quote:
Questioning Islam is fine. Pretending that you know how every Muslim feels, thinks, behaves, etc... is just stupidity born from fear

Using the "logic" you've displayed here, I should've run from my wife the first time she said "hi" because she's white.

Quote:
Whoops, you were wrong!

Now then, for the third time ( since you keep running from the question) Are you going to vote for a guy that is willing to strip gays of their rights?

Last edited by 332nd; 2nd November 2016 at 05:23 PM.
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2016, 01:03 AM   #380
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trumpistas beware!
The reason why the coalition let's ISIS fighters via a corridor out of Mossul is so they can vote for Clinton!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:21 AM   #381
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Some crusaders / storm troopers / not-jihadists getting ready.
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:28 AM   #382
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Why is that a surprise? Most of rural USA is a third world country.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:29 AM   #383
Jrrarglblarg

Background on the movement generally
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Percenters
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:32 AM   #384
Jrrarglblarg

Quote:
Back in Georgia, the Three Percent Security Force wrapped up rifle practice in the midday sun. They then headed further into the trees to tackle an obstacle course with loaded pistols at their sides, ready for whatever may come.

“We’ve building up for this, just like the Marines,” he said. “We are going to really train harder and try to increase our operational capabilities in the event that this is the day that we hoped would never come.”
Even journalism suffers from autocomplete errors, in this case miscompleting the word "eventually."
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:55 AM   #385
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
I hate Alex Jones, but, frankly, this is the kind of mischief that happens in every election. Sending moles to an opponents rally to protest or try to embarrass the candidate is and old,old,American political practice. It is just getting more coverage this year because of the high level of tension.
Where Jones is stupid is in blurting it out in front of God and everybody.

BTW I am would make a bet on Jones. If Trump is elected, in a few months he will turn On Trump when Trump...as is inevitable, backs down on some of his more flamboyant statements, and begins to schoomze with some of the Wall Street insiders he now denounce,Jones will scream that Donald has Sold OUt To the Man. Jones has even suggested is a couple of places the possibility that Donald is a con man, though Jones "thinks" he is the read deal.
Jones makes his living by fighting against the man and the Vast Evil Forces Controlling the US Government. It's his shtick. He HAS to Turn on whoever is in the White House.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:05 PM   #386
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I hate Alex Jones, but, frankly, this is the kind of mischief that happens in every election. Sending moles to an opponents rally to protest or try to embarrass the candidate is and old,old,American political practice. It is just getting more coverage this year because of the high level of tension.
Where Jones is stupid is in blurting it out in front of God and everybody.

BTW I am would make a bet on Jones. If Trump is elected, in a few months he will turn On Trump when Trump...as is inevitable, backs down on some of his more flamboyant statements, and begins to schoomze with some of the Wall Street insiders he now denounce,Jones will scream that Donald has Sold OUt To the Man. Jones has even suggested is a couple of places the possibility that Donald is a con man, though Jones "thinks" he is the read deal.
Jones makes his living by fighting against the man and the Vast Evil Forces Controlling the US Government. It's his shtick. He HAS to Turn on whoever is in the White House.
I think you sell Trump short. I believe he can deftly continue to string along his faithful while selling them out. They are mentally invested in him.
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:37 PM   #387
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think you sell Trump short. I believe he can deftly continue to string along his faithful while selling them out. They are mentally invested in him.

I agree, but I can't see Jones playing the loyal supporter for ANYBODY in the White House since his whole career is based on violent opposition to The Man.
I also think you can't lump all Trump supporter together. I think here is a hard core into the personality cult, where as you have another bunch who are probably a little skeptical simply because Trump is ,despite his rhetoric, such an obvious establishment figure.
There is so much we just don't know...like how much of Trump's policies are just cons to get the suckers to vote for him, and how much he might actually means. I really hope we don't have to find out.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd November 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 3rd November 2016, 03:59 PM   #388
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...d-trump-230716

Looks as though Donald is indeed sleeping with the enemy........given how rants against "Goldman and Sachs" are common among the Trumpistas.

Just more proof his whole anti establishment,anti Wall Street pose is a bunch of B.S. to fool the rubes.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd November 2016, 07:15 PM   #389
logger
Banned

... it's not fear but we should be afraid of the mayhem? Of all 1.whatever billion of them?
Afraid of it? We should defeat it!

Quote:
They don't agree with it.
Ahh yes, part of the picking and choosing.

Quote:
Questioning Islam is fine. Pretending that you know how every Muslim feels, thinks, behaves, etc... is just stupidity born from fear
Never said how every muslim feels, you're again putting words in my mouth, probably born of fear.
Quote:
Using the "logic" you've displayed here, I should've run from my wife the first time she said "hi" because she's white.
Who really cares I don't. You throw fear around like candy, do you have a chip or something?

Quote:
Whoops, you were wrong!
About what?
Quote:
Now then, for the third time ( since you keep running from the question) Are you going to vote for a guy that is willing to strip gays of their rights?
What are you talking about? Is this another fear of yours?
Old 3rd November 2016, 07:19 PM   #390
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Why is that a surprise? Most of rural USA is a third world country.
Actually rural USA will survive longer than any other community, why, because they're self sustaining. Most importantly they have lead and aren't going to be willing to share when the liberal hordes come to be fed.
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:14 PM   #391
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Actually rural USA will survive longer than any other community, why, because they're self sustaining. Most importantly they have lead and aren't going to be willing to share when the liberal hordes come to be fed.
This shows a staggering ignorance of the realities of the vast majority of agriculture in the US. I'm a country boy, and if **** hits the fan such that society is breaking down, you don't have till harvest season to get your crop in to eat. You depend on trade and transport to get other food from a vast network of other farmers, just like everyone else. There are some who have products that could be used year round, and many do stockpile some food, but those are as likely to be hippies or liberals like my brother and his girlfriend as you right-wing tribalists (and yes, we have lead too).

Besides that, you're just not as important nor as independent as you think. Many people who live in cities have farming skill too, having come from farms in their childhood. Just because you don't choose to do something doesn't mean you can't. You're just as replaceable as anyone else, especially with logging.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:21 PM   #392
Jrrarglblarg

Living in a state covered in wheat or corn fields does not make a person, family or community "self sustaining" at any level or in any sense of the term. And when your tractor runs out of diesel, you're back to dragging a stick behind an ox, if you can find an ox.
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:29 PM   #393
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Been watching Mad Max again, have we? Paleos just can't help themselves from fantasizing over post-apocalyptic warlord societies where their bullets get them more votes.

In the meanhow, rural America is shrinking faster than the sea is rising. The US Census counts "actual" rural America as representing 20% of the population.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:46 PM   #394
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Gawd damn it...

Maddow just had a short segment on a voter suppression/trolling campaign of official looking "Paid for by Hillary for President" messages saying to vote by phone/e-mail/"text to xxxxx".

Not that it'll have much impact, but just how *********** low can this cycle get?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2016, 07:31 AM   #395
Belz...
Fiend God

If Trump wins, I am expecteing a huge uptick in violence directed at minorities.
Unfortunately that might happen either way.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2016, 07:44 AM   #396
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Unfortunately that might happen either way.
Yeah, I can see the deplorables taking either result as an excuse to be deplorable.
Old 4th November 2016, 07:46 AM   #397
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Good article on how the White Nationalists have inflirtrated the Trump Campaign.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...t-right-214388

It does the best job of explaining why the White Nationalists have such love for Trump despite his Jewish connections and why Donald has de facto accepted their support,when any other GOP candidate would have ran away from them.

So the party of Lincoln has come to this....
Trump disavows these groups. He said so recently. I believe America could have had better candidates and I also feel that its a sorry state of affairs when this is as good as we can do. I'm not a Trump fan but overall he's better than Hillary.
Old 4th November 2016, 07:49 AM   #398
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

How about something a little more recent like the killing of abortion doctors and bombing of clinics?

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2016, 07:54 AM   #399
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Trump disavows these groups. He said so recently. I believe America could have had better candidates and I also feel that its a sorry state of affairs when this is as good as we can do. I'm not a Trump fan but overall he's better than Hillary.
Actually I don't recall ever hearing Trump disavow these groups; it's been his surrogates stating this. And he has openly courted them starting with the Birther claims, re-tweeting fake, racist statistics and hiring Steve Bannon who is immersed in the alt-right, racist, misogynist groups.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2016, 07:55 AM   #400
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I'm not a Trump fan but overall he's better than Hillary.
Not in any measure conceivable by reality or imagination.

Frankly, I'd wager even her dick is bigger than his.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics