IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , racism charges , Trump campaign , Trump supporters

Old 26th October 2016, 09:39 PM   #81
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Not liking Clinton to the point of refusing to vote for her does not necessarily mean that they like Trump enough to vote for him. They might dislike both candidates and vote for neither.

In any case, I am sure this thread will contain a great deal of mocking on the day after the election. I'll be sure to come back to find out which side will be doling out the I-told-you-so's.
I believe many Republicans will vote for a third party candidate than vote for Trump and they can't get themselves to vote for Clinton. My neighbor hates the Clintons. He was big in the Tea party movement. He's a super conservative, we agree on very little, but we get along very well. He saI'd he voted for Hillary this cycle and prays they can kick her out the next time.

I was shocked that he said he was going to vote for Hillary, I wss sure given the distaste he has voiced against her that he would vote Trump or libertarian. He said he thought about it and wanted to, but believes our country and democracy was more important. He felt it was his patriotic duty to make sure Donald Trump never rules this country.

I was flabbergasted, but really felt good about my neighbor
Old 26th October 2016, 09:52 PM   #82
cmikes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And Alex Jones,who Trump has said nothing but good things about goes full Anti Semite.....

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/26/alex...urt-americans/

Jones has been edging around Anti Semitism for years, but now he Really Goes There Full Tilt.

Edging around Anti-semitism? I thought he was a full blown "Jooooooz did 9/11 guy!" with Bush knowing about it beforehand?
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 09:55 PM   #83
cmikes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I believe many Republicans will vote for a third party candidate than vote for Trump and they can't get themselves to vote for Clinton. My neighbor hates the Clintons. He was big in the Tea party movement. He's a super conservative, we agree on very little, but we get along very well. He saI'd he voted for Hillary this cycle and prays they can kick her out the next time.

I was shocked that he said he was going to vote for Hillary, I wss sure given the distaste he has voiced against her that he would vote Trump or libertarian. He said he thought about it and wanted to, but believes our country and democracy was more important. He felt it was his patriotic duty to make sure Donald Trump never rules this country.

Not voting for either seems to be a very popular position in my circle of friends, both on and off-line. It's certainly my position. I just haven't decided if I'm going to bother to write in a real person or just go with the traditional "Mickey Mouse" yet.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 09:57 PM   #84
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Having white guys hang around our polling station might not be the best way to encourage black people to vote for you ...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:18 PM   #85
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Not voting for either seems to be a very popular position in my circle of friends, both on and off-line. It's certainly my position. I just haven't decided if I'm going to bother to write in a real person or just go with the traditional "Mickey Mouse" yet.
I get it. I know a few Republicans taking that position. That's one of the reasons I was shocked. But Trump or Clinton is going to be President and god forbid it will be Trump.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:55 AM   #86
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Not liking Clinton to the point of refusing to vote for her does not necessarily mean that they like Trump enough to vote for him. They might dislike both candidates and vote for neither.

In any case, I am sure this thread will contain a great deal of mocking on the day after the election. I'll be sure to come back to find out which side will be doling out the I-told-you-so's.
Regardless, a lot of black people do like Clinton, and almost everyone despises Trump. He'll get around 5%, in the end.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 07:29 AM   #87
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
What does the hilited part mean?

Was Trump raised by his mother?

I am missing what you are whistling at here.
Real men won't vote for a wonan?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 07:31 AM   #88
Jrrarglblarg

Men "raised by their mothers" are of dubious masculinity and are usually queers. Once again the Trump campaign is moving forward, into the past.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 07:48 AM   #89
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Real men won't vote for a woman?
That is what I was thinking too. Real men weren't raised by their mothers?

Or, more specifically, like Jrrarglblarg says below.

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
Men "raised by their mothers" are of dubious masculinity and are usually queers. Once again the Trump campaign is moving forward, into the past.
Yes, this is what I heard too. Sigh....

Makes me wonder about Trump's mother.

Is his misogyny nature or nurture?
Old 27th October 2016, 08:05 AM   #90
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop
Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
What does the hilited part mean?

Was Trump raised by his mother?

I am missing what you are whistling at here.
Real men won't vote for a wonan?

well, Trump talks like a woman...

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...g-style-214391
Old 27th October 2016, 09:21 AM   #91
Jrrarglblarg

Storm trooper volunteers

As mentioned elsewhere, I've poked at the trump campaign to find out more about the campaign watchers scheme.

As an aside, I sent email to both campaigns on the same day. Trump's team has sent me a few random emails, while the Hillary team has bombed me with contribution request.

But here's this one:

Quote:

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016, Jonathan Dimock <lawyers@donaldtrump.com> wrote:
Dear Jrrarglblarg

Thank you for your interest in being a poll watcher in the upcoming election. Poll watchers are a crucial component to conducting fair and open elections and the training and credential information in this e-mail is an important part of the process.

First, in order to serve as a poll watcher you will need to complete the Watcher Certification Course. You can find the course here:http://cosos.learnercommunity.com/pr...-course-public

You will need to create an account, or sign in with your existing Secretary of State account. If creating an account, you will need to fill out all information requested. Where it says "Job Title" you will select "Other" before filling out your employer.

Upon completion of the 30 minute course, you will receive a Certificate. Please SAVE THIS CERTIFICATE AS A PDF, as you will need to present it to your county party chair when seeking to be appointed.

After you have the PDF, please email Jefferson Thomas, Colorado's Political Director, at jthomas@donaldtrump.com. Please include your: First and Last Name, Best Contact Number, Days and Times you are available to work, as well as your county of residence, along with the PDF sent as an attachment. Jefferson will then connect you with the County Party Chair.

If you have any questions, please reach out to Jefferson at the email above, or on his cell phone at 720-575-3300.

Thank you again for your interest in helping Donald J. Trump become our next President of the United States!

Team Trump

Jefferson R. Thomas
Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.
jthomas@donaldtrump.com
NOTE: I'm posting this entire email intact, minus my meatspace handle, because it is part of the historical record of the events and activities of the election and I feel this thread needs the information. If mods disagree, I'll redact it down or something, but it wasn't private communications. It was an email list blast.

The training link is to the Colorado Secretary of State's official course, so we should be all doing legal and above - board stuff. I think this course would be one of several required for the bluehairs manning the actual precinct book and boxes, but I barely glanced at it. I guess I should follow through with this class and Trump campaign project, for academic purposes.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 09:29 AM   #92
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

... I'll keep y'all posted.
Thanks.

Somebody should volunteer to be a poll-watcher in Oregon.
Old 27th October 2016, 09:44 AM   #93
Jrrarglblarg

Nearing the end of the course, I am asked to view scenarios to identify correct and incorrect watcher behaviour. I cannot proceed with the course until I complete this task.

Quote:
Now let's try some scenarios.

Take a look at the VSPC. See if you can identify the potential watcher violations.

Place your mouse over the three watchers to check your answers.
I'm using an iPad. The software does not appear to realize this. I cannot proceed. I've tried double clicking, triple clicking, press and hold, all the things that Apple does in lieu of mousing an iPad.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:29 AM   #94
logger
Banned

I always worry about turnout. It's the nature of the beast. If people think it's going to be a blowout they may not show thinking their vote doesn't matter. I'm somewhat comforted by Clinton's organizational advantage. Early and vote by mail helps with the turnout.

It ain't over till its over so take heart. Keep in mind that there will be another election in only 4 years.
Why are you concerned about the minorities not turning out?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 10:29 AM   #95
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Edging around Anti-semitism? I thought he was a full blown "Jooooooz did 9/11 guy!" with Bush knowing about it beforehand?
Oh, he has been dropping hints about the You Know Whos being behind 9/11 for a long time (I called him on it on this website back in 2008) but he has never out and out stated it in plain language before.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 10:30 AM   #96
Jrrarglblarg

Did he say minorities or did you make that up?
Old 27th October 2016, 10:30 AM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe the Democrats should organize their own Poll Watchers to see that nobody is denied the right to vote. Time to fight fire with fire.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 10:31 AM   #98
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That's easy enough to go around. But I'm sure someone of your many expert qualifications already knows that.
I don't need any newspaper bedding.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 10:33 AM   #99
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Yeah you did.

How else would Trump carry the largest % if he doesn't get most?
I suppose you couldn't figure out I was referring to the republican vote, as the article also states. I'll try to spell things out a little better for you next time.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:34 AM   #100
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That's someone else's opinion.

You didn't answer the question.

What percentage of the black vote will Trump pick up, in your opinion?
16%
Can I not agree with another?
Old 27th October 2016, 10:46 AM   #101
logger
Banned

There is no possible way a super conservative could vote for hillary, he agrees with nothing she wants, why add his vote to something he's already wishing to kick out in four years. Yes, I'm calling BS.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:49 AM   #102
logger
Banned

Not usually queers, but mostly democrats.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:50 AM   #103
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Not usually queers, but mostly democrats.
Prejudice is so ugly.

Also: you don't get to redefine the dog whistle code words. They existed before you.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:52 AM   #104
logger
Banned

Passive aggressive self-righteous arrogance is cute, but not very helpful in actually convincing others of the veracity of your opinions. It just makes you look petty.
I think bitching about someone's spelling, punctuation and general bad writing (which everyone seems to suffer from) is quite petty.

Besides, I don't come on here to convince you folks. At our ages if you can't figure out what truly works, I doubt anything will change minds.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:53 AM   #105
logger
Banned

Prejudice is so ugly.

Also: you don't get to redefine the dog whistle code words. They existed before you.
What is prejudice in what I posted? Queers? You used it, I was answering it.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:56 AM   #106
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There is no possible way a super conservative could vote for hillary, he agrees with nothing she wants, why add his vote to something he's already wishing to kick out in four years. Yes, I'm calling BS.
I guess that also applies to all the super-conservative newspapers, politicians and ex-officals that have endorsed Clinton, right?

By some polls, 17% of all self-identified conservatives plan to vote for her.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 10:59 AM   #107
Jrrarglblarg

What is prejudice in what I posted? Queers? You used it, I was answering it.
No, the other part.
Old 27th October 2016, 11:00 AM   #108
logger
Banned

No, the other part.
What other part?
Old 27th October 2016, 11:01 AM   #109
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

What other part?
That would be the part that is east of the sun and west of the moon.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 11:01 AM   #110
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I guess that also applies to all the super-conservative newspapers, politicians and ex-officals that have endorsed Clinton, right?

Many moderates and rino's call themselves conservative. Interesting, people sure get pissed when you call them liberals.
Old 27th October 2016, 11:14 AM   #111
gregthehammer
Muse

Many moderates and rino's call themselves conservative. Interesting, people sure get pissed when you call them liberals.
In the true sense of the word, Moderates are the conservatives, i.e. not wanting a fast change in governance to the left or the right of the political spectrum. It is the Reactionaries on the right who have hijacked the term Conservative for their own purposes, twisting and distorting what it means to be conservative, and thus labeling anything not reactionary as a liberal, rino, what have you.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 11:16 AM   #112
Jrrarglblarg

I would be just as pissed if you called me a conservative, because I support private gun ownership and a few other "anti-lib" positions.

Labels are tools for ignorant people to avoid thinking.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 27th October 2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 27th October 2016, 11:23 AM   #113
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I consider myself a true conservative, I am for minimal government. Trump is not a conservative, in my opinion. He is an opportunistic demagogue, a populist. I will vote for Gary Johnson, because I don't want a proto dictator as leader of my country. I would not be sad to see Trump lose to Clinton, who I could not vote for. Some true conservatives are also social conservatives or hawks, and would not vote for Johnson. Clinton as a Hawk and anti full pot legalization could get their vote.

Trump is a real Rino.

Last edited by LSSBB; 27th October 2016 at 11:24 AM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 11:32 AM   #114
Jrrarglblarg

Election Watcher Update:

Colo sec/state course complete, class certificate PDF printed and saved on two machines, Trump team notified.

Should anyone else desire to take the course, be aware it demands a mouse to mouse-over stupid graphics on one page and will not work on an iPad. I'll send the State a bug report on it later, because it's dumb.
Old 27th October 2016, 11:34 AM   #115
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I consider myself a true conservative, I am for minimal government. Trump is not a conservative, in my opinion. He is an opportunistic demagogue, a populist. I will vote for Gary Johnson, because I don't want a proto dictator as leader of my country. I would not be sad to see Trump lose to Clinton, who I could not vote for. Some true conservatives are also social conservatives or hawks, and would not vote for Johnson. Clinton as a Hawk and anti full pot legalization could get their vote.

Trump is a real Rino.
Not really he is getting in touch with the real conservative base of the party, that being anti integration, that is what brought in all the Christians in the first place.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 11:43 AM   #116
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Oh really?

I would not think that is true about liberals, however you may be right.

In any event, I know a good way to test that idea; so please let me see if your idea is actually true or not ...

'logger' is a "liberal". In fact, 'logger' is the most liberal person on planet Earth.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 11:50 AM   #117
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SOme Trump poll watchers at work...just substitute Trump for Democrats.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:12 PM   #118
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Just in case Logger calls BS on you.

Quote:
A new CNN/ORC poll released today shows an interesting bit of data that should cause the Republican party to sit up and take notice.

Apparently, Trump is so disliked by and large that 17% of the Conservative movement has moved away from him, and has now said that they will be voting for Hillary Clinton instead. http://www.redstate.com/brandon_mors...double-digits/
Old 27th October 2016, 12:14 PM   #119
logger
Banned

Just in case Logger calls BS on you.
You do understand that people calling themselves conservative aren't always conservative?
Old 27th October 2016, 12:17 PM   #120
Jrrarglblarg

You do understand that people calling themselves conservative aren't always conservative?
Would you care to put a forum wager on the spread? I'll give you ten to one odds trump gets his ass waxed like a Brazilian hooker. 10 point spread, minimum, of the popular vote nationwide.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics