IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , racism charges , Trump campaign , Trump supporters

Old 27th October 2016, 12:18 PM   #121
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
I would be just as pissed if you called me a conservative, because I support private gun ownership and a few other "anti-lib" positions.

Labels are tools for ignorant people to avoid thinking.
Says the one who can't stand labels. Labels are tools for people to show their core values, many would like to hide from what they are.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:21 PM   #122
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Says the one who can't stand labels. Labels are tools for people to show their core values, many would like to hide from what they are.
Were you raised by your mother?

What label do you give to those raised by their mothers?
Old 27th October 2016, 12:23 PM   #123
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
Were you raised by your mother?

What label do you give to those raised by their mothers?
logger seems to be triggered by certain labels. Like fascist. He should accept the label for what he is.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:23 PM   #124
Jrrarglblarg

If a one word label can summarize your core values, I'm very sorry. Most of us get at least a bit of nuance and independent thought out of our education.

But that explains so much. Enjoy your label.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:26 PM   #125
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I consider myself a true conservative, I am for minimal government. Trump is not a conservative, in my opinion. He is an opportunistic demagogue, a populist. I will vote for Gary Johnson, because I don't want a proto dictator as leader of my country. I would not be sad to see Trump lose to Clinton, who I could not vote for. Some true conservatives are also social conservatives or hawks, and would not vote for Johnson. Clinton as a Hawk and anti full pot legalization could get their vote.

Trump is a real Rino.
But you aren't voting for Clinton directly.

By you saying you would not be sad to see him lose to her is suspect. Everything she stands for goes against your supposed beliefs. If you mean that her election will somehow wake the country up, that might be true with Obama not her. Think of this, for the first time in your lifetime we will have a leftist court, once that happens it is truly over. Your conservatism will not have a chance once the left gets control of the court. They can completely remake this country and legislators will be able to do nothing.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:27 PM   #126
logger
Banned

If a one word label can summarize your core values, I'm very sorry. Most of us get at least a bit of nuance and independent thought out of our education.

But that explains so much. Enjoy your label.
It explains much about you too.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:27 PM   #127
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
What does the hilited part mean?

Was Trump raised by his mother?

I am missing what you are whistling at here.
It's a dog whistle for people of whom the poster feels disdain...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:29 PM   #128
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Phiwum I can only assume you Would realize I meant on the republican side

If you assumed I meant more than Obama, a bit of critical thought would tell you that couldn't possibly correct, then you would have realized I meant republicans, mkay
...TY for your retractions, and your "explanation".
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:30 PM   #129
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Which consists of everyone who does not think exactly as he does.

Hate is hate.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:31 PM   #130
logger
Banned

Lol

Wouldn't it be nice if we could ask the questions we would like to?
Old 27th October 2016, 12:31 PM   #131
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

No one beats biden, his groping of women might earn him another title.
...evidence?
Old 27th October 2016, 12:32 PM   #132
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Which consists of everyone who does not think exactly as he does.

Hate is hate.
Which would be most here, and I don't hate you, someone in deep denial doesn't deserve hate.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:33 PM   #133
Jrrarglblarg

It explains much about you too.
Yes, it does: I'm overeducated for the venue.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:36 PM   #134
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Which would be most here, and I don't hate you, someone in deep denial doesn't deserve hate.
'lol' Denial about what? You know nothing about me. You do not know who I am, what I am. You are an angry ball of hate. You hate those that don't think like you. You hate those who call 'leftists', which you use as an insult against everyone.

I pity you.

Old 27th October 2016, 12:37 PM   #135
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Why are you concerned about the minorities not turning out?
See? This is why assuming what a poster "really meant" is a mug's game. You added a concept to the poster's words.

In context, it certainly makes you appear dishonest...

I'm willing to grant you it was a typo.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:37 PM   #136
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You do understand that people calling themselves conservative aren't always conservative?
Sure, that's always the possibility. In fact, I would argue that the so called conservative movement never has been conservative. The problem with this argument is like the question, "who is a Christian"? Who defines that? You?

Here is what conservative Charles Fried, former Solicitor General under Reagan said about his voting for Hillary. Its not enough to simply not support Trump, It is imperative that this man not be allowed to get anywhere near the levers of power. He must be defeated, and the only way to do that is by supporting Hillary Clinton.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:39 PM   #137
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

I don't need any newspaper bedding.
Inorite? All those pesky facts...
Old 27th October 2016, 12:40 PM   #138
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

I suppose you couldn't figure out I was referring to the republican vote, as the article also states. I'll try to spell things out a little better for you next time.
Is that why you assumed you could add words to another poster's post?
Old 27th October 2016, 12:42 PM   #139
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Would you care to put a forum wager on the spread? I'll give you ten to one odds trump gets his ass waxed like a Brazilian hooker. 10 point spread, minimum, of the popular vote nationwide.
That's optimistic. I'd say 6 to 8 tops. But I would be thrilled if you were right and I was wrong.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:43 PM   #140
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Not usually queers, but mostly democrats.
See? I assumed you were using the dog whistle correctly (by your lights).

Thank you for your retraction.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:45 PM   #141
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That's optimistic. I'd say 6 to 8 tops. But I would be thrilled if you were right and I was wrong.
I'm understating what I think the actual spread will be.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:48 PM   #142
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Lol

Wouldn't it be nice if we could ask the questions we would like to?
I can. Observe:

Why are you so fundamentally mistaken about the bte noire you mislabel "the left", and how do you intend to repair your misunderstandings? Why are you so very often mistaken about those against whom you fling the term as if it were an epithet?

One wonders why you think you can't...

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 27th October 2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:53 PM   #143
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Sure, that's always the possibility. In fact, I would argue that the so called conservative movement never has been conservative. The problem with this argument is like the question, "who is a Christian"? Who defines that? You?

Here is what conservative Charles Fried, former Solicitor General under Reagan said about his voting for Hillary. Its not enough to simply not support Trump, It is imperative that this man not be allowed to get anywhere near the levers of power. He must be defeated, and the only way to do that is by supporting Hillary Clinton.
"...but, but, no TRUE 'conservative'...!"
Old 27th October 2016, 12:53 PM   #144
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm understating what I think the actual spread will be.
Man, I hope you're right.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:55 PM   #145
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I guess that also applies to all the super-conservative newspapers, politicians and ex-officals that have endorsed Clinton, right?

By some polls, 17% of all self-identified conservatives plan to vote for her.

RINO.

No True Conservative.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:57 PM   #146
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Many moderates and rino's call themselves conservative. <snip>

Called it.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 12:57 PM   #147
logger
Banned

'lol' Denial about what? You know nothing about me. You do not know who I am, what I am. You are an angry ball of hate. You hate those that don't think like you. You hate those who call 'leftists', which you use as an insult against everyone.

I pity you.
I really pity you too, why, because I've never had an actual conversation with you, you always come with an insult, have it your way.
Old 27th October 2016, 12:59 PM   #148
logger
Banned

You can tell a Christian by what he/she does but only God knows the heart.

So if we take that example, we can tell a conservative by what he/she does.

Snopes news...
http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/17/fa...beral-blogger/
Old 27th October 2016, 01:04 PM   #149
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Quote:
Here is what conservative Charles Fried, former Solicitor General under Reagan said about his voting for Hillary.

Yup. RINO.

Old 27th October 2016, 01:06 PM   #150
NoahFence
Banned

I pity you.
None of it is real.

So there's that bit of solace.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 01:10 PM   #151
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You can tell a Christian by what he/she does but only God knows the heart.

So if we take that example, we can tell a conservative by what he/she does.

Snopes news...
http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/17/fa...beral-blogger/
So by that argument, Trump is neither a Christian or a Conservative.
Old 27th October 2016, 01:23 PM   #152
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Think of this, for the first time in your lifetime we will have a leftist court, once that happens it is truly over.
Just out of interest, (1) when was the last time that Democratic party appointed justices formed the majority in the SCOTUS, and (2) why wasn't it truly over then?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 01:26 PM   #153
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Just out of interest, (1) when was the last time that Democratic party appointed justices formed the majority in the SCOTUS, and (2) why wasn't it truly over then?

Dave
He's right though. The current culture war will be over when liberals take over the court. That's the thing about progressiveness vs reaction.

Reactionaries will at that point find another cause to latch on to and declare new culture wars. That's the way towards progress.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 01:33 PM   #154
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Washington (CNN)Former Rep. Joe Walsh appeared to call for armed revolution Wednesday if Donald Trump is not elected president.

Walsh, a former tea party congressman from Illinois who is now a conservative talk radio host, tweeted, "On November 8th, I'm voting for Trump. On November 9th, if Trump loses, I'm grabbing my musket. You in?"

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/26/politi...ail_bottomlist
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 01:40 PM   #155
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Washington (CNN)Former Rep. Joe Walsh appeared to call for armed revolution Wednesday if Donald Trump is not elected president.

Walsh, a former tea party congressman from Illinois who is now a conservative talk radio host, tweeted, "On November 8th, I'm voting for Trump. On November 9th, if Trump loses, I'm grabbing my musket. You in?"

As mentioned in another thread where it came up "musket" is a dog whistle code word for armed insurgency by civilians, and the AR rifle is called "modern musket" by some people who associate the second amendment freedoms generally with the specific rifle used by troops in any time.
Old 27th October 2016, 01:54 PM   #156
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

He was a one term congressman....thrown out by the voters after just one two year term. FOr that to happen so quickly shows what a nutjob he is.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 02:12 PM   #157
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Nearing the end of the course, I am asked to view scenarios to identify correct and incorrect watcher behaviour. I cannot proceed with the course until I complete this task.

I'm using an iPad. The software does not appear to realize this. I cannot proceed. I've tried double clicking, triple clicking, press and hold, all the things that Apple does in lieu of mousing an iPad.
Election Watcher Update:

Colo sec/state course complete, class certificate PDF printed and saved on two machines, Trump team notified.

Should anyone else desire to take the course, be aware it demands a mouse to mouse-over stupid graphics on one page and will not work on an iPad. I'll send the State a bug report on it later, because it's dumb.
I've always imagined Apple products to be more of a Liberal thing. Maybe it is a feature not a bug?

link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 02:14 PM   #158
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

...evidence?
He was filmed boasting about it on his TV show in 2005?

Oh, sorry that was someone else, whose name escapes me as it doesn't seem so prominent on his brands now.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 02:15 PM   #159
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
Yea, what the hell does it mean "over"? Was it "over" during the Warren Court years? There are different issues for each generation. Will it signal the end of the battle on reproductive rights? I doubt it Will it mean people will have to give up their guns? Highly unlikely. Will Citizens United be overturned? Possibly.

The idea that it's over when you're own personal political ideological position no longer holds sway is not how a democracy works logger. Sometimes, the other guy wins.

Last edited by acbytesla; 27th October 2016 at 02:33 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2016, 02:17 PM   #160
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

As mentioned in another thread where it came up "musket" is a dog whistle code word for armed insurgency by civilians, and the AR rifle is called "modern musket" by some people who associate the second amendment freedoms generally with the specific rifle used by troops in any time.
Did he see what happened to the Oregon Militia?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics