IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , racism charges , Trump campaign , Trump supporters

Old 27th October 2016, 09:55 PM   #241
Jrrarglblarg

As has Romney's.

Remember when politicians argued about policy, not pussy? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 12:22 AM   #242
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by logger View Post
1- not in my lifetime.

2- because the left has proven they will legislate from the bench.
Which we should if republickers refuse to do their job otherwise. No biggie for the piggies. They're just too busy guzzling their slops and feces!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 01:45 AM   #243
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

1- not in my lifetime.

2- because the left has proven they will legislate from the bench.
Neither of these actually answers the question asked, but thanks for trying.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 06:02 AM   #244
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Why do some conservatives presume Hillary will be able to wreck the Second Amendment, while saying Trump won't be able to wreck the First Amendment?

Half the party hates the other half but that may be understating the actual schisms that are going on. Conservatives came up with the RINO label to vilify other Republicans. Has anyone accused Hillary of being a DINO?
From my point of view the wacky wing wanted the party all to themselves, and believed so deeply in their own self-righteousness that they couldn't abide other voices in the party. As they got shriller and shriller more tea-party's pols and pundits took advantage of it, riding the crest of the wave toward eventual dissolution and obscurity. The Rino term is the epic symbol of the whacked lemming horde. At least the term NIMBY was crafted in jest. Such irony that the term Rino is used by those seeking the tiniest tent possible, an echo chamber filled with the unwilling to engage in reasonable discussion.

The left is crafting it's own version of this, much of it had leapt on the Bernie wagon. Their only saving grace now is their leading candidate is not a demagogue, as the Republicans have with their reality star, hero to wanna be stormtroopers.
Old 28th October 2016, 09:15 AM   #245
Jrrarglblarg

TrumpTrooper Update:
Quote:

On Friday, October 28, 2016, Jefferson Thomas <jthomas@donaldtrump.com> wrote:
Thank you all for completing the SOS certification course to be a poll watcher. Your information has been received and will be sent to the appropriate county party chairman today, so we can continue through the appointments process set forth in state law.

We currently haven't had anyone sign up in Pueblo county. If anyone from El Paso, Fremont, or Teller county would be willing to be a poll watcher for us in Pueblo, that would be a great help.

Again, thank you for your help and willingness to help Mr. Trump become the next President of the United States!

Best,

1475770950083_Trump:Pence

Jefferson R. Thomas

Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.

(720) 474-5575

jthomas@donaldtrump.com
Again, I'm presenting a bulk-send email intact as an historical document relevant to the discussion. If this is improper, I'll change it, but there better be a darn good explanation why.

Pueblo County should be solid red, except it won't be because Trump opened his campaign by pissing on Mexicans, who as Catholics have traditionally been aligned with the Republicans due to Righ To Life issues. I'm very surprised nobody from "pyeblo" (as the while people there pronounce it) volunteered.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 09:30 AM   #246
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Thanks Jrrarglblar, very interesting.
Old 28th October 2016, 09:30 AM   #247
Jrrarglblarg

Also, Trump campaign wants door knockers to canvass neighborhoods, but isn't asking me for money, while Clinton's folks want a dollar at the bottom of every single email.
Old 28th October 2016, 09:40 AM   #248
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
TrumpTrooper Update:

Again, I'm presenting a bulk-send email intact as an historical document relevant to the discussion. If this is improper, I'll change it, but there better be a darn good explanation why.

Pueblo County should be solid red, except it won't be because Trump opened his campaign by pissing on Mexicans, who as Catholics have traditionally been aligned with the Republicans due to Righ To Life issues. I'm very surprised nobody from "pyeblo" (as the while people there pronounce it) volunteered.
I think you should volunteer for Pueblo County. And approach every single white person.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 09:48 AM   #249
Jrrarglblarg

Pueblo sucks. It lacks any redeeming features.
Old 28th October 2016, 10:15 AM   #250
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Isn't that were all the government brochures and pamphlets come from?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 10:16 AM   #251
Jrrarglblarg

What did I just say? What did I JUST say? No redeeming features! The best thing about Pueblo is it has highways leading away from it in 4 directions.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:51 AM   #252
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
From my point of view the wacky wing wanted the party all to themselves, and believed so deeply in their own self-righteousness that they couldn't abide other voices in the party. As they got shriller and shriller more tea-party's pols and pundits took advantage of it, riding the crest of the wave toward eventual dissolution and obscurity. The Rino term is the epic symbol of the whacked lemming horde. At least the term NIMBY was crafted in jest. Such irony that the term Rino is used by those seeking the tiniest tent possible, an echo chamber filled with the unwilling to engage in reasonable discussion.

The left is crafting it's own version of this, much of it had leapt on the Bernie wagon. Their only saving grace now is their leading candidate is not a demagogue, as the Republicans have with their reality star, hero to wanna be stormtroopers.
Says the conservative.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 12:21 PM   #253
fuelair
Banned

Not even great Mexican food???
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 12:25 PM   #254
Jrrarglblarg

Nope. Not even good Mexican food. South to New Mexico, or North to Denver metro. I recommend any random mom and pop restaurant on 38th avenue. If Abuela is running the register with someone's kids underfoot, extra points.
Old 28th October 2016, 12:27 PM   #255
fuelair
Banned

Yes - and Green Chile/i!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...o.html#REVIEWS
Old 28th October 2016, 12:28 PM   #256
fuelair
Banned

I love good Green!!! On it's own or on other stuff!!!!! Can't find that in Florida so far!!! Beyond ok that is.
Old 28th October 2016, 12:46 PM   #257
Jrrarglblarg

One of my go-to tests for a Mexican restaurant is the "smothered burrito" which is served covered in green chili, cheese, lettuce, and awesomeness.

But not in pyeblo.
Old 28th October 2016, 01:54 PM   #258
fuelair
Banned

the predators presidency sure wasn't headed in that direction, he was forced by the congress, but I do give him credit for working with them, now he'll have that lasting legacy. What will Obama have? He had a pen and a phone and in the end he'll have nothing, because he didn't work with congress!
No, congress refused to work with him. And please do not try any arguments on that. The Democrats including Obama never said or tried openly to make a person a one term President in the ways the republickers openly did, the republickers bravely and frequently touted it re: Obama. Fortunately, but not for the republickers, there are lots of records/recordings of republickers saying it about Obama. Working with Congress was not rational or possible given their attitude.
Old 28th October 2016, 01:57 PM   #259
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
That's the definition of job approval. But keep living in your fantasy world if it makes you feel better.
It does and it seems to.
Old 28th October 2016, 01:59 PM   #260
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Republicans control Congress and most people hate it.
I certainly do!!!!!!! And I am certain there have not been any republicans since the early 80's.
Just republickers.
Old 28th October 2016, 06:20 PM   #261
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Good article on how the White Nationalists have inflirtrated the Trump Campaign.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...t-right-214388

It does the best job of explaining why the White Nationalists have such love for Trump despite his Jewish connections and why Donald has de facto accepted their support,when any other GOP candidate would have ran away from them.

So the party of Lincoln has come to this....
Lincoln was a White supremacist and White nationalist.

He said that blacks shouldn't be voters or jurors and should be relegated to the inferior position in any society they inhabited along with Whites.

He was intent on shipping them all out of America after the civil war.

He said he'd gladly preserve the union in a way that left them as slaves, if necessary.

Jefferson and the other founding fathers were also total White supremacists and White nationalists and founded the USA with the intent of restricting citizenship to Whites only. They were quite open about all of this.

So it's those of you who are NOT White nationalists who are out of step with this nation's intended nature AND out of step with your beloved Abraham Lincoln, as well.

Quote:
"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause]—that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race." -Abraham Lincoln
Lincoln was also nearly killed in an attack by blacks in New Orleans as a teenager and I'm sure that didn't endear them to him greatly either.

Coincidentally, New Orleans is still a great place to get killed by blacks if you're a White teenager today.

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 28th October 2016 at 06:27 PM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 06:58 PM   #262
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
No, congress refused to work with him. And please do not try any arguments on that.
Lol

We were talking about Clintons term an the congress worked with him quite well. As to Obama, that's the difference, Obama is a narcissist, he always refused to work with congress. His terrible legacy is his own fault.

Quote:
The Democrats including Obama never said or tried openly to make a person a one term President in the ways the republickers openly did,
Aww, the poor little baby, the opposition wanted to defeat him, lets all go cry somewhere. Yes, dems cry about this all the time, its because they are girly men who are raised by their mothers.
Quote:
the republickers bravely and frequently touted it re: Obama. Fortunately, but not for the republickers, there are lots of records/recordings of republickers saying it about Obama. Working with Congress was not rational or possible given their attitude.
Lol
Boo hoo poor little dinglebarry.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 07:21 PM   #263
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

One of my go-to tests for a Mexican restaurant is the "smothered burrito" which is served covered in green chili, cheese, lettuce, and awesomeness.

But not in pyeblo.
[OT] For a very very Northener, can you explain what green chili is?[/OT]

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 07:27 PM   #264
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yea, what the hell does it mean "over"? Was it "over" during the Warren Court years? There are different issues for each generation. Will it signal the end of the battle on reproductive rights? I doubt it Will it mean people will have to give up their guns? Highly unlikely. Will Citizens United be overturned? Possibly.

The idea that it's over when you're own personal political ideological position no longer holds sway is not how a democracy works logger. Sometimes, the other guy wins.
But Trump hugs the flag! He hugs the flag!!!
Old 28th October 2016, 07:32 PM   #265
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by cantonear1968 View Post
http://www.food.com/recipe/tradition...le-sauce-28467

Murkins think of chili as brown with a reddish underlay to it. There are many chilis.

It's sorta like the second level shock westerners go through over here when they find we have green curry, red curry and the better-known in the west yellow curry. Different chilis have different tastes and impart different colors to the final dish. Same applies to New Mexico Green Chile. (Yeah, it's become common usage to use the c-h-i-l-e spelling. I still think that's a country.)

This derail has been brought to you buy Foolmewunz's OCD, a forum feature for over a tenth of a century.

ETA: Pay no attention to smartasses from New Mexico. Everyone from the deep south knows "chile" is a small human, as in "Cletus! How many times I gots to tell ya? Don' pull on the hound's ears, chile. He's just gonna bite you, agin and you ain't hardly got no fingers left."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 28th October 2016 at 07:42 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2016, 07:34 PM   #266
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by cantonear1968 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_chile

The fruit of any one of several cultivars of Capsicum peppers. Usually roasted, then peeled and chopped.

New Mexico has an official State Question: "Red, or Green?", asking if one wants one's chiles green, or ripe. (The best answer is, "Christmas", that is, both, one on each side of the plate).

If a New Mexican is twitching, being anti-social, or talking about voting for Trump, they have probably gone too long without chile (two meals, or a meal and a snack). They can be returned to sanity by serving them a CHile Relleno, or some Enchiladas Verdes.

ETA: certain expats to the contrary, "chili" is a cooked, gringo dish, often even involving spaghetti, "Chile" is the capsicum fruit.

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 28th October 2016 at 07:36 PM.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 12:12 AM   #267
fuelair
Banned

Red Chiles are good, Green Chiles are excellent!!!!! Green Chili is divine!!!!!
Old 29th October 2016, 12:15 AM   #268
fuelair
Banned

With or without meat. With, I prefer chopped or ground pork.................

Generally harder to find on it's own. Not best pleased about that!!!!! (Heavy Paddington stare!!!!!)
Old 29th October 2016, 12:17 AM   #269
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Lincoln was a White supremacist and White nationalist.

He said that blacks shouldn't be voters or jurors and should be relegated to the inferior position in any society they inhabited along with Whites.

He was intent on shipping them all out of America after the civil war.

He said he'd gladly preserve the union in a way that left them as slaves, if necessary.

Jefferson and the other founding fathers were also total White supremacists and White nationalists and founded the USA with the intent of restricting citizenship to Whites only. They were quite open about all of this.

So it's those of you who are NOT White nationalists who are out of step with this nation's intended nature AND out of step with your beloved Abraham Lincoln, as well.

Lincoln was also nearly killed in an attack by blacks in New Orleans as a teenager and I'm sure that didn't endear them to him greatly either.

Coincidentally, New Orleans is still a great place to get killed by blacks if you're a White teenager today.
Got a citation on that one??? First I have ever heard it claimed.
Old 29th October 2016, 01:16 AM   #270
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It's sorta like the second level shock westerners go through over here when they find we have green curry, red curry and the better-known in the west yellow curry. Different chilis have different tastes and impart different colors to the final dish.
Interestingly OT, thanks. In the UK, I would guess that Thai red curry is the most commonly found in supermarkets, followed by green. Yellow is more to be found in restaurants. In Belgium I don't remember seeing anything other than red in supermarkets. In Malaysia, all are widespread. Superior to all of them is the Massaman (YSMV) curry, but that's mainly because potatoes are the best curry delivery mechanism.

When are we going to get a food sub-forum?
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 02:02 AM   #271
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Got a citation on that one??? First I have ever heard it claimed.
http://www.ulpress.org/catalog.php?item=64

Quote:
"In 1828, a teenaged Abraham Lincoln guided a flatboat down the Mississippi River to New Orleans. The adventure marked his first visit to a major city and exposed him to the nationís largest slave marketplace. It also nearly cost him his life, in a nighttime attack in the Louisiana plantation country."
Other sources explicitly say the attack was by black slaves.
Old 29th October 2016, 04:53 AM   #272
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...

Generally harder to find on it's own. Not best pleased about that!!!!! (Heavy Paddington stare!!!!!)
Where are you located? PM me--it ships very well, frozen.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 08:02 AM   #273
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Red Chiles are good, Green Chiles are excellent!!!!! Green Chili is divine!!!!!

Serious question: is that different from the Chile Verde I order in pretty much every Mexican restaurant I visit?
Old 29th October 2016, 08:28 AM   #274
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

In 1828, at the age of 19, Lincoln made a flatboat trip down the Mississippi to New Orleans. He accompanied a friend, Allen Gentry, transporting meat, corn and flour. Enroute they were reportedly greeted by river pirates, African American, who soon tried to steal their cargo. Lincoln and Gentry were able to fight them off. I pieced this together from several accounts including one on Wikipedia.

Lincoln also wrote:
Quote:
"I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong. I can not remember when I did not so think, and feel." Link
So the statements by Mr. Tank appear to be just more of the usual half-truths and distortions of someone with a clear agenda. What a surprise!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 08:56 AM   #275
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In 1828, at the age of 19, Lincoln made a flatboat trip down the Mississippi to New Orleans. He accompanied a friend, Allen Gentry, transporting meat, corn and flour. Enroute they were reportedly greeted by river pirates, African American, who soon tried to steal their cargo. Lincoln and Gentry were able to fight them off. I pieced this together from several accounts including one on Wikipedia.

Lincoln also wrote:

So the statements by Mr. Tank appear to be just more of the usual half-truths and distortions of someone with a clear agenda. What a surprise!
Clearly explain what was a half-truth or a distortion?

The university I linked to said he was nearly killed. Descriptions I've seen elsewhere made it clear the attack had murderous intent. I know I've read somewhere that there were fatalities and/or vicious wounds suffered by the crew Lincoln was part of. I'm not 100% sure of that being true though.

Every view I attributed to Lincoln about blacks is undeniably accurate and directly attested to by his own words. Such views were also nearly universal among whites in his era, so why would this be surprising?

Him opposing slavery doesn't contradict that. Do people who think the meat industry is horrible therefore necessarily think cows are our mental equals and fit for citizenship?

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 29th October 2016 at 08:58 AM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 09:48 AM   #276
fuelair
Banned

Also, Trump campaign wants door knockers to canvass neighborhoods, but isn't asking me for money, while Clinton's folks want a dollar at the bottom of every single email.
On that I agree. I inform them that if they want/need surveys I will happily do the survey. But I am not going to take the time or effort to send them money to take it!!!!!
Old 29th October 2016, 09:50 AM   #277
fuelair
Banned

Note: I learned on some news program on NPR about that technique and why it was used.

It actually works on some people. I like surveys and fundage requests to be carefully separated!!!!!!!
Old 29th October 2016, 09:55 AM   #278
fuelair
Banned

Dictionaries are very useful in political discussions. Of course, knowing words well (good vocabulary) is even better and faster!!!!!
Old 29th October 2016, 09:58 AM   #279
fuelair
Banned

Thanks!!
Old 29th October 2016, 10:15 AM   #280
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Lincoln is the source. It's in his writings in the University of Michigan collection. He wrote it in the third person for a newspaper at the time. He doesn't say slaves. He reported the attack was by "negroes". http://quod.lib.umich.edu/l/lincoln/...;view=fulltext
See Page 62.

However, the speculation that this experience informed his later feeling on race is pure projection on your part. There is no such evidence.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics