IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , racism charges , Trump campaign , Trump supporters

Old 29th October 2016, 10:18 AM   #281
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Where are you located? PM me--it ships very well, frozen.
Thanks!!! I found a source for it recently and have been experimenting with it. - and the source is New Mexico by way of Amazon (10 pounds in two five pound freezer packs). The chili itself is excellent, but the chile I have not got quite right yet. Trying small batches of various recipes. All tasty, but none quite the one I am looking for (specifically the taste that was over the years common to a little Mexican food place in Nashville, LePeeps in Orlando, a diner going west (about 15-20 miles) from Denver and down the street from a Holiday Inn (6 -7 years back) a restaurant up in the mountains 40-50 miles from Denver (also west). There was a restaurant in the town that had advertised green chili but theirs was mediocre. We found the other by very lucky accident!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 10:26 AM   #282
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Serious question: is that different from the Chile Verde I order in pretty much every Mexican restaurant I visit?
Probably not (or not very)though there are variations - as noted in my search for the right set of specific ingredients for the version I love, The basics are the green chiles: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=114S8X4R731U6

I am on my last 5 of 20 pounds of Autumn Roast. All have been good, just not quite my ultimate!!!!! Great with slow cooked pulled pork by the by.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 05:11 PM   #283
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Probably not (or not very)though there are variations - as noted in my search for the right set of specific ingredients for the version I love, The basics are the green chiles: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=114S8X4R731U6

I am on my last 5 of 20 pounds of Autumn Roast. All have been good, just not quite my ultimate!!!!! Great with slow cooked pulled pork by the by.
My, has this ever led me down an internet rabbit hole. Best I can tell, generic Mexican restaurant Chile Verde is basically the same dish as yours. But the execution, as well as the chilis, are probably rather different.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Trumpets.
Old 29th October 2016, 05:16 PM   #284
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Serious question: is that different from the Chile Verde I order in pretty much every Mexican restaurant I visit?
No more so than applesauce is different from pieces of apples, or whole apples...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 05:18 PM   #285
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Thanks!!! I found a source for it recently and have been experimenting with it. - and the source is New Mexico by way of Amazon (10 pounds in two five pound freezer packs). The chili itself is excellent, but the chile I have not got quite right yet. Trying small batches of various recipes. All tasty, but none quite the one I am looking for (specifically the taste that was over the years common to a little Mexican food place in Nashville, LePeeps in Orlando, a diner going west (about 15-20 miles) from Denver and down the street from a Holiday Inn (6 -7 years back) a restaurant up in the mountains 40-50 miles from Denver (also west). There was a restaurant in the town that had advertised green chili but theirs was mediocre. We found the other by very lucky accident!!!!
PM me, and we can talk recipes...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2016, 09:38 PM   #286
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Says the conservative.
That's what I am. Small government, strong defense, pro-free trade. Constiutionalist: free speech, freedom of religion, right to bear arms for purposes of a strong militia. I don't support anyone being prosecuted for what should be their own private business either. And I think all human beings should be judged on the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

Hence: no rounding up the Mexicans, building a wall against them, calling them racists, stirring up fear of Muslims, all things a populist demagogue would run with.
Old 30th October 2016, 12:59 AM   #287
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
That's what I am. Small government, strong defense, pro-free trade. Constiutionalist: free speech, freedom of religion, right to bear arms for purposes of a strong militia. I don't support anyone being prosecuted for what should be their own private business either. And I think all human beings should be judged on the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

Hence: no rounding up the Mexicans, building a wall against them, calling them racists, stirring up fear of Muslims, all things a populist demagogue would run with.
Yeah, remember when Barry Goldwater basically told the racists to get the **** out of the party(more politely, of course)? The Arizona TPs wanted to rename the state GOP HQ and take his name off the building!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 07:17 PM   #288
logger
Banned

Hence: no rounding up the Mexicans, building a wall against them,
Open borders, got it. As a conservative, I'd rather have orderly legal immigration.

Quote:
calling them racists,
That's actually what the corrupt left calls us.
Quote:
stirring up fear of Muslims
Its called un-PC truth.
Quote:
all things a populist demagogue would run with.
Something a leftist would say.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 07:28 PM   #289
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Open borders, got it. As a conservative, I'd rather have orderly legal immigration.

Its called un-PC truth.

I'm wondering how many white Christians you asked to be banned from entering the country after the Oklahoma City bombing.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 09:28 PM   #290
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by cantonear1968 View Post
I'm wondering how many white Christians you asked to be banned from entering the country after the Oklahoma City bombing.
You don't contemplate removing the bedrock, core, founding demographic of a society based on its problems because that does not compute. They *are* the society.

Evaluating optional outsiders on the basis of cost/benefit and compatibility, however, makes all the sense in the world.

I don't ponder disowning my son because I found pot in his room, but I might object to a crack addict stranger moving in and sleeping on the couch.

One is a part of the family and his issues are lesser. The other has worse issues, few if any redeeming qualities, and is an outsider. His presence is neither beneficial nor natural and excluding him or kicking him out after making the mistake of letting him in is the most normal, logical thing I could ever do.
Old 30th October 2016, 09:32 PM   #291
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Its called un-PC truth.

I did not say open borders, and thanks for turning on a long time Republican and demonstrating the problem I identified with with the party.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:36 PM   #292
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
You don't contemplate removing the bedrock, core, founding demographic of a society based on its problems because that does not compute. They *are* the society.

Evaluating optional outsiders on the basis of cost/benefit and compatibility, however, makes all the sense in the world.

I don't ponder disowning my son because I found pot in his room, but I might object to a crack addict stranger moving in and sleeping on the couch.

One is a part of the family and his issues are lesser. The other has worse issues, few if any redeeming qualities, and is an outsider. His presence is neither beneficial nor natural and excluding him or kicking him out after making the mistake of letting him in is the most normal, logical thing I could ever do.
Your concept of redeeming qualities may differ from mine, though. I, for instance, don't think that exclusionary language and behavior are a redeeming quality. Misogyny kinda grates on me, too. And that sucking-up-to-white-nationalists thing? Damn, but I thought I was through with that crap. You probably find all that redeeming and a Secretary of State taking some unnecessary and perhaps frivolous liberties with her e-mail? That's reprehensible to you, I take it?

We may have different values. My half-caste son (same lineage as Tammy Baldridge) is as American as you or I.

Oh, and perhaps you could point out in the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution where it says "White People". I'm unfamiliar with those passages. The founders of the country HAPPENED to be white (well, there are questions about Alexander Hamilton, so maybe that's "most of the founders"). There was no intent. They happened to be in the ascendency in that era of history. It's no longer an exclusive club. Live with it.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 06:10 AM   #293
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Not natural? What a crappy metaphor.

The presence of immigrants, legal and illegal, in this country is one of the constants of this nation since Jamestown. One of the other constants would be the earlier immigrants and their descendants opposing new immigrants. They use the same old tired arguments. "Those damn Papists want to make the country subservient to the pope."
"If they want to have government documents printed in their language, they should go back to Germany."
"They are taking all the jobs (but they're cheap, so of course, I've hired them when I needed them)."
"All those Poles/Italians/Irish/Jews want to destroy our country."

You know after 240 years the xenophobia is a bit tiresome.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 11:13 AM   #294
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Lincoln was a White supremacist and White nationalist.

He said that blacks shouldn't be voters or jurors and should be relegated to the inferior position in any society they inhabited along with Whites.

He was intent on shipping them all out of America after the civil war.

He said he'd gladly preserve the union in a way that left them as slaves, if necessary.

Jefferson and the other founding fathers were also total White supremacists and White nationalists and founded the USA with the intent of restricting citizenship to Whites only. They were quite open about all of this.

So it's those of you who are NOT White nationalists who are out of step with this nation's intended nature AND out of step with your beloved Abraham Lincoln, as well.

Lincoln was also nearly killed in an attack by blacks in New Orleans as a teenager and I'm sure that didn't endear them to him greatly either.

Coincidentally, New Orleans is still a great place to get killed by blacks if you're a White teenager today.
Lincoln opinions on Blacks in the US changed.. By the end of his presidency he had totally dropped the "ship them back" opinion.
I still want to know what you White Nationalist would do to Blacks in the US.
BTW I despise Donald Trump, but IMHO he will drop the support of the open White Nationlists about five minutes after he is (Heaven forbid) elected. They will become a liability.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 12:12 PM   #295
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Lincoln opinions on Blacks in the US changed.. By the end of his presidency he had totally dropped the "ship them back" opinion.
BTW I despise Donald Trump, but IMHO he will drop the support of the open White Nationlists about five minutes after he is (Heaven forbid) elected. They will become a liability.
Trump will drop everybody and anybody who he doesn't think can help him out going forward. Loyalty to him is paramount. Loyalty from him, not so much.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 12:54 PM   #296
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Trumpets.
You have no idea how similar the subjects are in their volatility. I have friends I can't talk politics with for fear of fists flying. And here, I know better than to correct Slowvehicle on his assertions regarding the superiority of New Mexico Chili over Texas Chili. So I just hold my tongue to keep the piece.
At least until I can slide into Blake's for my fix. What can I say, I was poor the I lived in NM and so my tastes are rather pedestrian. Although the Pink Adobe and Santacafe will always hold a special place in my heart.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 01:06 PM   #297
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You have no idea how similar the subjects are in their volatility. I have friends I can't talk politics with for fear of fists flying. And here, I know better than to correct Slowvehicle on his assertions regarding the superiority of New Mexico Chili over Texas Chili. So I just hold my tongue to keep the piece.
At least until I can slide into Blake's for my fix. What can I say, I was poor the I lived in NM and so my tastes are rather pedestrian. Although the Pink Adobe and Santacafe will always hold a special place in my heart.
An it harms none, eat what thou wilt...

...just learn the difference atween "chili" and "chile".
Old 31st October 2016, 01:10 PM   #298
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm glad I don't belong to any such cults. As long as your hurling engine is powered by gravity or twisted rope. Air cannons blow!

I actually always have trouble with that. I use "Chile" for the country, and "chili" for the peppers, but the soup/stew seems to swing either way
Old 31st October 2016, 01:30 PM   #299
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

God, you people are relentless.

I mean people who correct spelling, obviously.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 01:31 PM   #300
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm glad I don't belong to any such cults. As long as your hurling engine is powered by gravity or twisted rope. Air cannons blow!
Nice!

Quote:
I actually always have trouble with that. I use "Chile" for the country, and "chili" for the peppers, but the soup/stew seems to swing either way
Me to.

Old 31st October 2016, 01:36 PM   #301
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I like Sainsbury tinned Chilli love the beans.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 31st October 2016 at 02:19 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 07:30 PM   #302
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I like Sainsbury tinned Chilli love the beans.

Is that anything like food?

Had a peek at Google images of the stuff... glad I haven't eaten yet.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 07:39 PM   #303
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by cantonear1968 View Post
You have a soft spot for radical islam? How cute!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 07:41 PM   #304
logger
Banned

I did not say open borders, and thanks for turning on a long time Republican and demonstrating the problem I identified with with the party.
Well at least your honest about calling yourself a longtime republican, because I don't see any conservative coming from you.

Going to vote for Hills now?
Old 31st October 2016, 07:44 PM   #305
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Well at least your honest about calling yourself a longtime republican, because I don't see any conservative coming from you.

Going to vote for Hills now?
No, because I am a conservative and she represents big government, as Donald Trump will with his pricey xenophobic solutions. Neither one is a decent candidate.
Old 31st October 2016, 07:47 PM   #306
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

No, I imagine it's more like my views on my Muslim friends. I don't blame all of them for the actions of a few like you seem to do... but then fear isn't a rational emotion.
Old 31st October 2016, 07:49 PM   #307
logger
Banned

No, because I am a conservative and she represents big government, as Donald Trump will with his pricey xenophobic solutions. Neither one is a decent candidate.
No kidding?

But one certainly agrees with more of what you supposedly believe. You do understand the concept of "the lesser of two evils"?

I didn't like McCain, but I voted for him. He is a disgusting rino republican. I voted for Romney who comes from the freak show of Mormonism and another rino.

Now I'm going to vote for Trump, who has trouble controlling himself but is infinitely better than hilldawg. Who are you with my Republican friend?
Old 31st October 2016, 07:53 PM   #308
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
No, I imagine it's more like my views on my Muslim friends. I don't blame all of them for the actions of a few like you seem to do... but then fear isn't a rational emotion.
That's wonderful except the Muslims I know would consider your Muslim friends to be infidels.
Old 31st October 2016, 07:54 PM   #309
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

No kidding?

But one certainly agrees with more of what you supposedly believe. You do understand the concept of "the lesser of two evils"?

I didn't like McCain, but I voted for him. He is a disgusting rino republican. I voted for Romney who comes from the freak show of Mormonism and another rino.

Now I'm going to vote for Trump, who has trouble controlling himself but is infinitely better than hilldawg. Who are you with my Republican friend?
Gary Johnson is a better Republican than Trump, he gets my vote. And he is not a scamming liar, like Trump and Hillary. Enough about me though. I don't see MY name in the thread title.
Old 31st October 2016, 07:57 PM   #310
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Him opposing slavery doesn't contradict that. Do people who think the meat industry is horrible therefore necessarily think cows are our mental equals and fit for citizenship?
Well no, but I did know a relative of Adolph Eichmann who thinks a relative of a Tuskegee_Airman is a mental & physical superior to white nationals. Tick, tick, tick.
Old 31st October 2016, 07:59 PM   #311
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

That's wonderful except the Muslims I know would consider your Muslim friends to be infidels.
How many do you know? Also, why would they describe my folk as infidels? Please be specific.

Last edited by 332nd; 31st October 2016 at 08:02 PM.
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2016, 08:00 PM   #312
logger
Banned

Gary Johnson is a better Republican than Trump, he gets my vote. And he is not a scamming liar, like Trump and Hillary. Enough about me though. I don't see MY name in the thread title.
Fine, a vote for Johnson is a vote for Clinton. So the very thing you don't want ends up happening. Remember the lesser of two evils?

Besides Johnson is just another rino who desperately wants to be part of the establishment. The clue would be him picking another rino, Weld as his VP
Old 31st October 2016, 08:01 PM   #313
logger
Banned

How so? Please be specific.
Do your Muslim friends believe in Sharia?
Old 31st October 2016, 08:53 PM   #314
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Do your Muslim friends believe in Sharia?
Yup, & just like Christians they pick & choose what really matters... kinda like how you tried to breeze past that first question.

Now then, how many Muslims do you know?
Old 31st October 2016, 09:15 PM   #315
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Is that anything like food?

Had a peek at Google images of the stuff... glad I haven't eaten yet.

I'll have you know, sir, that Sainsbury's has won several awards for "Canned Item Most Similar to Real Food". (If you think their Chili looks worrisome do NOT try their baked beans.)

Old 1st November 2016, 05:58 AM   #316
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
People are complicated. Soundbites like the ones ST is pushing, from early in Lincoln's career, are silly.
As Douglass put it: "In his company, I was never reminded of my humble origin, or of my unpopular color".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2016, 09:57 AM   #317
logger
Banned

Yup, & just like Christians they pick & choose what really matters... kinda like how you tried to breeze past that first question.

Now then, how many Muslims do you know?
1.5 billion, why does it matter?

So your friends believe in subjugating women? Marginalizing gays?
Old 1st November 2016, 10:28 AM   #318
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

God, you people are relentless.

I mean people who correct spelling, obviously.
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Old 1st November 2016, 10:30 AM   #319
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Air cannons blow!
Old 1st November 2016, 10:31 AM   #320
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

You...evaded...the question.

surprise

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics