IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags heaven , religion humor , Trump supporters

View Poll Results: Does a vote for Trump decrease the likelihood for going to heaven?
Yes 10 55.56%
No 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th November 2016, 08:58 AM   #1
Caper
Philosopher

Would a vote for Trump decrease the lucklihood of going to heaven?

Just curious as to the general consensus would be from the skeptic community?
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 09:02 AM   #2
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Don't know, but I'm adding "lucklihood" to my vocabulary list. I'm guessing it means: "the probability of a beneficial outcome by chance."
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 09:06 AM   #3
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

What kind of support does Trump have in the gay community? I would suspect it's less than the proportion of people who are gay, so a simple analysis would suggest that the average Trump voter would be less likely to be a client of Heaven than a non-trump voter.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Trump voters might still go to heaven, but if he wins there will be Hell to pay.
Old 7th November 2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

If he gets the nuclear launch codes, there's a good chance the 7 billion of us will be in Heaven soon.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 09:26 AM   #6
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Don't know, but I'm adding "lucklihood" to my vocabulary list. I'm guessing it means: "the probability of a beneficial outcome by chance."
Geeze. I at least got it right in the poll question.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 09:27 AM   #7
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

You forgot 3 options :
3) I ain't even American !
4) Heaven does nit exists so... ?
5) Planet X

Last edited by Aepervius; 7th November 2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: forgot not
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 09:39 AM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The opposite - the more you suffer in this life, the better chance at front row seats in the afterlife .
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 09:44 AM   #9
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The way I figure it is this:

there is no afterlife, but the world is wondrous and it's all the heaven we'll get.

A vote for Trump is done by people who believe the world is hell, and thus it pretty well guarantees that whatever heaven there is, you've missed it so far; and the future is bleak, as a loss confirms that your world is hell and a win brings it closer to reality.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The opposite - the more you suffer in this life, the better chance at front row seats in the afterlife .
This was my thought.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 06:09 PM   #11
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Going to where exactly? Heaven? Where is that?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 06:27 PM   #12
applecorped
Banned

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
For who going to Heaven? The voter, Trump, or someone else?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 06:43 PM   #13
Ray Brady
Graduate Poster

Coincidentally, I believe the odds of my voting for Trump to be exactly equal to the odds of me going to Heaven.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 06:52 PM   #14
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to imagine a god of a universe with millions of clusters of galaxies caring about the politics of one country, on one planet in the slightly regarded, unfashionable western spiral arm of the Milky Way.

Hat tip to Douglas Adams.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 07:01 PM   #15
Thor 2
Philosopher

If you believe in Heaven then a vote for Trump has every chance of getting you there sooner.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 04:50 AM   #16
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Of course Trump supporters will go to Heaven. Trump is a Republican. Jesus was a Republican. Duh.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:38 PM   #17
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
If there was a heaven and a decent god, no one voting for Trump would be able to avoid going to Hell. Rapidly.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:56 AM   #18
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
If there was a heaven and a decent god, no one voting for Trump would be able to avoid going to Hell. Rapidly.
It's more economical, apparently, to import hell.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 07:24 AM   #19
annnnoid
Banned

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Trump voters might still go to heaven, but if he wins there will be Hell to pay.

He wins!
…and so we awake to a smaller world.
Whatever heaven may or may not be,
…hard to see how a vote for stupidity could ever get you there.
annnnoid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy