IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , Trump supporters

Reply
Old 19th January 2017, 02:26 PM   #1361
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 5,147
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
He could have done a bit more to combat this fascination with racial tensions in the press, but he didn't.
What does this even mean? You think Obama should have instructed the free press of the United States to not report on racial issues?

Does that not strike you as unConstitutional as well as ludicrous?

Also, if you don't blame Obama for perceived worsening race relations, then I recommend avoiding the use of phrases like "Under Obama . . . " This applies to anything we might blame on or credit to a president, e.g., unemployment, housing, environmental protections, etc. Tying some problem to a president's administration implies that the administration bears culpability for that problem.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 08:04 PM   #1362
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Thank you for presenting the 538 piece. It's obviously a Left leaning site by looking at their featured stories.

538's discussion included only Black and White respondents. No need to read any further. We have Hispanics in the US too, as well as a few others. This is exactly the reason I prefer the NORC info, 538's piece left out a great deal of info in order to paint a pretty picture. If you'll notice NORC includes a number of races and ask questions that are not triggers for a certain response as they're not looking for a preconceived outcome.


You're not going to get a pass by focusing only on Black and White respondents and you're not going to get a pass directing me to a Liberal presentation of cherry picked info.

All links I provided included NORC info. You do realize that you are arguing that Race relations have improved in the US? Seriously? You don't see any issue with Black Lives Matter, Police shootings, rioting, burning of entire blocks, looting businesses? We've not seen anything like this since the Rodney King ordeal.
Chris B.
Data is data. 538 are not a liberal site. They crunch numbers. In this case they crunched NORC's numbers. As you can see by the trend line, those numbers contradict your contention.

The thing with the NORC data is that it's available. Rather than picking one report(*) from Column A and two from Column B, why don't you go to their site and download the data set and show us.

538 did some simple graphs and the trend over the past forty-six years is that actual attitudes are improving and blatant racist ideas are being washed away. That data is from the GOP/Conservative eras under Nixon, Reagan, Bush I, Bush II - total of 24 years and Carter, Clinton, Obama - total of 22 years. That score is pretty even and the control of Congress was also relatively evenly split.

It's not liberal bias to report people's responses. The numbers are there.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2017, 08:24 PM   #1363
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,238
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Would you agree that those living in a bubble only agree with what they want to be true?
Chris B.
I don't know. Do you?
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2017, 01:12 AM   #1364
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,181
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
That's a bizarre way of looking at it. It looks like you simply wish to deny, without really investigating the subject or presenting evidence to counter mine. I'm afraid I'll require a bit of evidence on your part before conceding. I suppose you could just admit I'm right and can skip the homework. Or you can skip the homework and stick with the denial without ever having presenting anything to support your position to prove me right. I'll accept either.
Chris B.
I really don't care what you require, because it's an unreasonable request. You made an assertion that Obama was wrong (which he might well be). You were asked to provide evidence, and you failed spectacularly to provide any evidence that actually backed what you were saying. Posting links isn't the same as providing evidence. The text in the links provided also has to actually correspond to the argument made.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2017, 06:31 AM   #1365
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility (USA, sort of)
Posts: 26,169
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Thank you for presenting the 538 piece. It's obviously a Left leaning site by looking at their featured stories.

<snip>

You and logger have a lot in common, I see.
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2017, 06:58 AM   #1366
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 5,147
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You and logger have a lot in common, I see.
Re: 538 being a "Left-leaning" site:

In our post-fact world, using objective data to inform a position is leftist.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:41 PM   #1367
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,718
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Easy for me to sit as a white guy and say that. However, I don't think my perspective is necessarily all that meaningful.

There is no reason for me to think that racists that came out of the woodwork in recent were any less racist in 2006. They are just howling more about it.

in the meantime, people of color are also more wiling and able to stand up and call it out, and don't feel obligated to sit quietly.

That seems like progress to me.
I am not sure that you and I disagree.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2017, 04:43 AM   #1368
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 50,412
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Re: 538 being a "Left-leaning" site:

In our post-fact world, using objective data to inform a position is leftist.
They just use alternate facts.

Truthiness has become the official position of the white house, think Colbert will get any money from it?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:57 AM   #1369
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 7,447
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
They just use alternate facts.

Truthiness has become the official position of the white house, think Colbert will get any money from it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqOTxl3Bsbw

Colbert weighed in on the matter before. "Truthiness" is what's in play. "Trumpiness" is what's in play. Truthiness at least has to sound true. Trumpiness doesn't even need to do that. Or be believed.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2017, 08:22 PM   #1370
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Interesting read.
https://news.grabien.com/story-dnc-c...y-charged-foru
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.