IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , internet incidents , Trump supporters , Twitter incidents

Old 25th January 2017, 06:03 AM   #1
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Trump Twitter rally goes hilariously/sadly wrong

Trump supporters attempted to get the hashtag #ThankYouTrump to trend on Twitter, only to have it be hijacked by people pointing out facts and thanking Trump for things his supporters likely wouldn't appreciate. A lovely sampling is included in the link if you care to be amused and saddened all at once. I think my favorite is the Ansel Adams quote listed first.

The results are funny, but also heartbreaking. We are five days into Trump's presidency and he's well on his way to becoming the most hated, vilified President in US history. He's attempted a gag order on releasing climate data (which the Park Service is rightfully choosing to ignore), he's screwing over women, he's screwing over the environment, and there's more coming. How anyone can think this waste of skin is good for the country is utterly beyond me.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:14 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Trump supporters attempted to get the hashtag #ThankYouTrump to trend on Twitter, only to have it be hijacked by people pointing out facts and thanking Trump for things his supporters likely wouldn't appreciate.
Yeah, typical Twitter stuff. The internet's not the place to ask people to make your wishes come true. It's like a world-wide "corrupted wishes" machine.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:21 AM   #3
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Trump supporters attempted to get the hashtag #ThankYouTrump to trend on Twitter, only to have it be hijacked by people pointing out facts and thanking Trump for things his supporters likely wouldn't appreciate. A lovely sampling is included in the link if you care to be amused and saddened all at once. I think my favorite is the Ansel Adams quote listed first.

The results are funny, but also heartbreaking. We are five days into Trump's presidency and he's well on his way to becoming the most hated, vilified President in US history. He's attempted a gag order on releasing climate data (which the Park Service is rightfully choosing to ignore), he's screwing over women, he's screwing over the environment, and there's more coming. How anyone can think this waste of skin is good for the country is utterly beyond me.
Two questions: First, how is Trump screwing over women? Second, is skin actually a valuable resource so that it makes sense to talk about "wasting" it? I like to think of Trump as more of a waste of hair spray.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:22 AM   #4
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Two questions: First, how is Trump screwing over women?
I think it's in reference to proposed changes to abortion and contraception access.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Worm
Illuminator

Has a twitter rally ever not been hijacked? Seems to be par for the course.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:23 AM   #6
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I think it's in reference to proposed changes to abortion and contraception access.
Can you elaborate? I haven't heard about such proposed changes.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:25 AM   #7
sts60
Illuminator

Minor point: there was apparently a former NPS employee who used one park's Twitter account to make some client-related comments. It's not a general speak-out.

This shapes up as the most science-hostile government in U.S. history. Between President "global warming is a Chinese hoax" Trump, Vice-President "smoking doesn't cause cancer" Pence, and the mix of Republican Congressmen who reject science because they're fossil-fuel spokesmen, or fundamentalist YECs, or just hate federal regulation more than pollution, we're in for interesting times.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:26 AM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

Sorry -- discussed by the GOP. Trump talked about abortion during the campaign, and several on his team are dedicated to make it as hard as possible for it to be available.

Old 25th January 2017, 06:27 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
This shapes up as the most science-hostile government in U.S. history. Between President "global warming is a Chinese hoax" Trump, Vice-President "smoking doesn't cause cancer" Pence, and the mix of Republican Congressmen who reject science because they're fossil-fuel spokesmen, or fundamentalist YECs, or just hate federal regulation more than pollution, we're in for interesting times.
The people who claim we need to reduce human population significantly might get their wish.

Old 25th January 2017, 06:31 AM   #10
sts60
Illuminator

Well, I'm sure that a Trump/Republican Federal government, sincere in wanting to prevent abortions, will make evidence-based sex education, and easy and affordable access to contraception, a high priority; that's the best way to do it, so being responsible leaders, I'm sure that's the way they'll go.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:33 AM   #11
Belz...
Fiend God

"Evidence"? What are you, an old coot? Get with the program, man.

Old 25th January 2017, 06:36 AM   #12
elgarak
Illuminator

The executive order he signed shut down federal funding of foreign NGOs if they promote abortions.

This is not a proposed change. It is shutting down funding immediately.

This does not affect female citizens of the US, but people worldwide who rely on such services organized by NGOs (the funding is shut down if the NGO does even so much as referrals to abortion clinics or doctors, and probably even if it just offers counseling/information which happens to include information on abortion).

Last edited by elgarak; 25th January 2017 at 06:39 AM.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:42 AM   #13
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Well, I'm sure that a Trump/Republican Federal government, sincere in wanting to prevent abortions, will make evidence-based sex education, and easy and affordable access to contraception, a high priority; that's the best way to do it, so being responsible leaders, I'm sure that's the way they'll go.
Silly rabbit !

Don't you know that the only way to discourage a slut is to deny her easy access to sex education or contraception and then to force her to carry any pregnancy to full term.

Boys on the other hand are merely "sewing their wild oats", so there's no need to trouble them.....
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:42 AM   #14
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry -- discussed by the GOP. Trump talked about abortion during the campaign, and several on his team are dedicated to make it as hard as possible for it to be available.
I guess the problem is that Trump is a Republican. Technically at least. So it doesn't really have anything specific to do with Trump. Although Trump has been co-opted by the GOP to some extent, he's not really any kind of anti-abortion crusader. Neither was Reagan or Bush I or II. Abortion isn't really a federal issue anyway, beyond the Supreme Court ruling deeming it unconstitutional to ban it for pregnancies short of the point of fetal viability. I suppose a pro-choicer could be concerned that Trump's SCOTUS pick will be more inclined to overrule precedent on the abortion issue than a pick by a Democratic President, but there's no way to know if it would actually happen. I think it's pretty unlikely. In any case, it's kind of a stretch to say that Trump is screwing over women because he'll pick a conservative justice for the Supreme Court.
Old 25th January 2017, 06:45 AM   #15
Belz...
Fiend God

I guess the problem is that Trump is a Republican. Technically at least. So it doesn't really have anything specific to do with Trump. Although Trump has been co-opted by the GOP to some extent, he's not really any kind of anti-abortion crusader. Neither was Reagan or Bush I or II. Abortion isn't really a federal issue anyway, beyond the Supreme Court ruling deeming it unconstitutional to ban it for pregnancies short of the point of fetal viability. I suppose a pro-choicer could be concerned that Trump's SCOTUS pick will be more inclined to overrule precedent on the abortion issue than a pick by a Democratic President, but there's no way to know if it would actually happen. I think it's pretty unlikely. In any case, it's kind of a stretch to say that Trump is screwing over women because he'll pick a conservative justice for the Supreme Court.
See elgarak's post.

Old 25th January 2017, 07:01 AM   #16
fuelair
Banned

Lovely!!!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 07:45 AM   #17
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

See elgarak's post.
Pretty lame. That was the policy before Obama too anyway. Maybe it's good for women in the US because it saves their tax dollars. In any case, how about netting such a minuscule change in policy against Trump's dedication to eradicating ISIS? ISIS is about the most anti-woman organization on the planet. It keeps thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of women as sex slaves and is responsible for the murder of at least that many. How about his commitment to reducing the number of immigrants from countries where a medieval attitude towards women's rights is pervasive? That right there will do more for the future of women's rights in the US, as well as their physical safety now, than virtually anything else that has been on the table in decades. By similar reasoning (which I think is valid), Angela Merkel is the most anti-woman leader in the free world.
Old 25th January 2017, 07:48 AM   #18
Belz...
Fiend God

Pretty lame. That was the policy before Obama too anyway. Maybe it's good for women in the US because it saves their tax dollars. In any case, how about netting such a minuscule change in policy against Trump's dedication to eradicating ISIS? ISIS is about the most anti-woman organization on the planet. It keeps thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of women as sex slaves and is responsible for the murder of at least that many. How about his commitment to reducing the number of immigrants from countries where a medieval attitude towards women's rights is pervasive? That right there will do more for the future of women's rights in the US, as well as their physical safety now, than virtually anything else that has been on the table in decades. By similar reasoning (which I think is valid), Angela Merkel is the most anti-woman leader in the free world.
I think you're seriously lacking focus, here. None of this is relevant to the Executive Order being discussed or the claim that Trump's screwing over women.

Old 25th January 2017, 07:49 AM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It should have been
"Thanks, Trump!"
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 07:54 AM   #20
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Don't you know that the only way to discourage a slut is to deny her easy access to sex education or contraception and then to force her to carry any pregnancy to full term.

Remember, the only birth control a woman needs is an aspirin. She holds it between her knees and she doesn't get pregnant.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 07:57 AM   #21
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

I think you're seriously lacking focus, here. None of this is relevant to the Executive Order being discussed or the claim that Trump's screwing over women.
Huh? Of course it's relevant. Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired, to say the least.
Old 25th January 2017, 07:58 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't this thread use to be about a twitter rally? You're a bit late to demand more focus.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 07:59 AM   #23
Belz...
Fiend God

Huh? Of course it's relevant. Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired, to say the least.
What does reading comprehension have to do with whether something is relevant or not? We're talking about TRUMP screwing over WOMEN. And Elgarak provided an example. When I pointed it out to you you instead went on a field trip about other administrations, ISIS and other stuff. How is any of that relevant, tell me?

Old 25th January 2017, 08:27 AM   #24
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Didn't this thread use to be about a twitter rally? You're a bit late to demand more focus.
Sunmaster asked for an example of Trump's action and got them. He handwave dismissed it and rambled about something completely different.

Threaddrift is one thing, this was a hairpin turn.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 08:28 AM   #25
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Two questions: First, how is Trump screwing over women? Second, is skin actually a valuable resource so that it makes sense to talk about "wasting" it? I like to think of Trump as more of a waste of hair spray.
How about the defunding of planned parenthood as campaign promise ? Among other stuff. The "giving access to care" as described sound like they will allow to offer cheapo plan which cover nothing, especially women gynecology prevention.

@Elgarak even better : it was already done not announced.

Last edited by Aepervius; 25th January 2017 at 08:31 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 08:38 AM   #26
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

What does reading comprehension have to do with whether something is relevant or not? We're talking about TRUMP screwing over WOMEN. And Elgarak provided an example. When I pointed it out to you you instead went on a field trip about other administrations, ISIS and other stuff. How is any of that relevant, tell me?
I really don't know why I get involved in these kinds of discussions, because they're painfully tedious and annoying, but when somebody claims that a President is "screwing over women" there has to be some context. If Trump is doing precisely what any Republican President would do, and which was the status quo as of 2008, then it strikes me as a gross exaggeration to say that is "screwing over women." Also, it's not even American women. And arguably it's not even "screwing" anybody. Finally, it is quite relevant to talk about other policies and their effects on women. The effects of the "good" and "bad" policies should be netted. It's crazy to focus only on the "bad" and ignore the "good."
Old 25th January 2017, 08:43 AM   #27
Belz...
Fiend God

I really don't know why I get involved in these kinds of discussions, because they're painfully tedious and annoying, but when somebody claims that a President is "screwing over women" there has to be some context.
The implication isn't that he's raping them, of course (though he might grab them by the pussy), but that he's signing or pushing legislation that hurts them, specifically in their ability to choose not to have kids.

Quote:
If Trump is doing precisely what any Republican President would do, and which was the status quo as of 2008, then it strikes me as a gross exaggeration to say that is "screwing over women."
What a strange bit of logic. As if other people doing the same thing somehow means that he's not really doing it. A large portion of the American people being overweight doesn't mean that describing a particular one as fat is a gross exaggeration.

Quote:
Also, it's not even American women.
That wasn't the claim for which you asked evidence for.

Quote:
Finally, it is quite relevant to talk about other policies and their effects on women.
Except that they don't change the ones that we're talking about. If I punch you in the face and give you a thousand dollars, pointing to the money doesn't mean I'm not hurting you.

Old 25th January 2017, 09:58 AM   #28
wareyin
Philosopher

The implication isn't that he's raping them, of course (though he might grab them by the pussy), but that he's signing or pushing legislation that hurts them, specifically in their ability to choose not to have kids.

What a strange bit of logic. As if other people doing the same thing somehow means that he's not really doing it. A large portion of the American people being overweight doesn't mean that describing a particular one as fat is a gross exaggeration.

That wasn't the claim for which you asked evidence for.

Except that they don't change the ones that we're talking about. If I punch you in the face and give you a thousand dollars, pointing to the money doesn't mean I'm not hurting you.
More relevantly to sunmaster14's claim, if you punched him in the face and then pointed out that someone else murdered someone else, that doesn't mean sunmaster14 wasn't punched in the face. Similarly, if you stole from sunmaster14's bank account every penny that he has earned since 2008 (thus "returning him to the status quo" of 2008), you have still taken something away from him.

Last edited by wareyin; 25th January 2017 at 10:23 AM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 10:22 AM   #29
NoahFence
Banned

Well then open your *********** eyes and read something besides right wing echo chamber rags for once.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 10:27 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

How does it do that?
Old 25th January 2017, 10:30 AM   #31
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Remember, the only birth control a woman needs is an aspirin. She holds it between her knees and she doesn't get pregnant.
Or even no asprin, then she can claim a headache.
Old 25th January 2017, 10:37 AM   #32
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Policies are not Karma: you don't get free bad ones to balance out the good ones.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 10:39 AM   #33
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How does it do that?
Talking costs cash, apparently.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 10:41 AM   #34
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It is a strategy used by conservatives and mastered by Kellyanne Conway. Instead of answering questions or taking responsibility, toss out tons of other "issues" and questions to deflect and confuse. None of it is relevant, they know it.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 10:42 AM   #35
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds like he's trying to unify the nation and bring us all together in the only way he knows how. Interestingly, his supporters seem to be the main ones who still don't get it.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 10:48 AM   #36
3point14
Pi

Is there an agreed upon 'worst president in history' for Trump to be compared to?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 10:49 AM   #37
Belz...
Fiend God

Obama, I think?

Old 25th January 2017, 10:52 AM   #38
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Is there an agreed upon 'worst president in history' for Trump to be compared to?
Nixon?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 10:54 AM   #39
3point14
Pi

Obama, I think?
I did say 'agreed upon' (I realise this is politics and US politics at that, so I'm not actually expecting much in the way of agreement )

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Nixon?

Sounds like a decent shot. He was good in Dr who though

These conversations always lead to me thinking about Ralph Wiggum singing "We are the lesser presidents"

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 10:56 AM   #40
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I did say 'agreed upon'
Yeah but we're in the post-fact, alternative fact world, so I can say whatever I want.

Quote:
Sounds like a decent shot. He was good in Dr who though
And a fearsome opponent in Black Dynamite!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics