IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Omarosa Manigault , Trump appointees , Trump supporters

Old 17th August 2018, 01:31 AM   #121
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You should mostly ignore what he says, yes. What he does is a different matter, but you don't need to read his tweets to follow that.
Bollocks. Utter and dangerous bollocks.

What a President does for a job is saying things.
Old 17th August 2018, 01:50 AM   #122
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
WilliamSeger appealed to Dan Rather. ...
No, he *credited* Rather, which is the courteous thing to do if you recreate someone else's brainchild.
Old 17th August 2018, 01:51 AM   #123
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Motte and bailey. If people accept Dan Rather's authority, then that was what was intended all along. And if not? "I didn't really mean for you to consider Dan Rather. I just mentioned him because reasons."

Bollocks.
Old 17th August 2018, 02:22 AM   #124
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Apparently, since this has turned into the traditional tit-for-tat bickering, the answer to the OP is that there is no common ground.

I'll try to establish a base line from the left. I can find common ground with fiscal conservatives who break from Trump and the monster that the Tea Party and Alt-Right have made of the Republican Party.

I don't guarantee I agree with them on everything (well, on anything) but I can at least discuss things with them.

With Trumpistas? I don't think there's anything to discuss any longer. They are beyond hope. With Trump apologists? Pretty close to the same thing. There's a bit more hope (but just a bit) for the conservatives who run away from the Trump name/brand but still think it's their duty to run interference for him because he's the de facto leader of the party that represents their faction.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 04:15 AM   #125
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
"Wacky Omarosa, who got fired 3 times on the Apprentice, now got fired for the last time. She never made it, never will. She begged me for a job, tears in her eyes, I said Ok. People in the White House hated her. She was vicious, but not smart. I would rarely see her but heard....

While I know it’s “not presidential” to take on a lowlife like Omarosa, and while I would rather not be doing so, this is a modern day form of communication and I know the Fake News Media will be working overtime to make even Wacky Omarosa look legitimate as possible. Sorry!
"

Can you imagine what would have happened if Obama or Bush had said something this retarded? And this is just example A in the ongoing **** show.

How can anyone take a Trump supporter seriously? What common ground does an intelligent person have with these people?
It really shows how good a judge of character he is.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 04:40 AM   #126
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Dan Rather. Criticizing other people for lost credibility.
I gather that Dan Rather isn't very credible, then.

In which case it is indeed ironic that the POTUS is less credible.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 04:46 AM   #127
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

So he's crossed the line for you. Do you expect him to cross back? Now that he's crossed, do you care about how many times he crosses it again?

What new information do you gain by continuing to pay attention to everything he says? Is he actually saying anything new? Do you hope to accomplish something by listening to him? What do you think that will be?
Maybe, he will eventually cross the line for someone else.

Maybe he'll start admitting to crimes on Twitter
Old 17th August 2018, 11:41 AM   #128
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to have common ground with a Personality Cult, since a Personality Cult if founded on the idea that Dear Leader Is Right, and to oppose or criticize him in any way is Evil.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 11:49 AM   #129
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

well said Dudalb.

Of course, several will complain that you are saying mean things about them.
Old 17th August 2018, 11:52 AM   #130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think a couple of the Trump supporters here are not True Belivers in Trump but Mickey Mouse Republicans....they will support anybody in the White House who is a Republican. They would support any Republican the same way they are supporting Trump. With the hard core members of the Personalty Cult, it's Trump or nobody.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 12:21 PM   #131
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think a couple of the Trump supporters here are not True Belivers in Trump but Mickey Mouse Republicans....they will support anybody in the White House who is a Republican. They would support any Republican the same way they are supporting Trump. With the hard core members of the Personalty Cult, it's Trump or nobody.
My sense is that they would not defend any republican as much. I very much believe that Trump has really ramped up the tribalist aspect to American poltics(not just the obvious racism) but the tribes of left/Dem/progr vs cons/Rep. Which has caused a lot of Rs to circle the wagons more than they would have for just about any other president. Which is why I tend to sound like I'm defending him or his supporters. I think we really need to ratchet done the "They're all horrible racists" talk if we want to get trump out of office or elect dems this year.

As I've said before, even before Trump being a republican was defacto evidence of racism and or fascism for a lot of lefties. This did two things, it made the GOP and conservatives stop trying and stop listening to the accusation.

This is also why I've argued against conflating all the blanking while black stores and really take issue with OPs like this. A. Very few people are actually irredeemable, I recently heard a great interview with a from Neo-Nazi skin head that demonstrates exactly that. B. Acting like everything trump does is obviously racist just keeps his supporters from seeing the actual racism. As someone said, if everything is racist then nothing is racist.

Last edited by ahhell; 17th August 2018 at 12:24 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 12:52 PM   #132
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post

As I've said before, even before Trump being a republican was defacto evidence of racism and or fascism for a lot of lefties. This did two things, it made the GOP and conservatives stop trying and stop listening to the accusation.
It made them stop pretending to be non-racist and non-fascist?

"We" "far leftists" get accused of being authoritarian racists all the time. Do you think we're about to start actually becoming that as a result of false accusations?
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 12:54 PM   #133
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You think they'd support Bernie Sanders or someone like him if he ran as a Republican and somehow won?
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 01:50 PM   #134
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
It made them stop pretending to be non-racist and non-fascist?

"We" "far leftists" get accused of being authoritarian racists all the time. Do you think we're about to start actually becoming that as a result of false accusations?
It hasn't made you change your mind about anything either has it? Do actually pay attention to a conservative that accuses you of racism? Do you ever think, "I wonder if he has a point?" It seems unlikely.

You think they'd support Bernie Sanders or someone like him if he ran as a Republican and somehow won?
I think they would. As I've mentioned, there's decent research showing folks will agree or disagree with an idea depending on who the claimed source is.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2018/02...erything-else/

https://youarenotsosmart.com/transcr...al-psychology/
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 01:58 PM   #135
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It hasn't made you change your mind about anything either has it? Do actually pay attention to a conservative that accuses you of racism? Do you ever think, "I wonder if he has a point?" It seems unlikely.

I think they would. As I've mentioned, there's decent research showing folks will agree or disagree with an idea depending on who the claimed source is.

You have badly misunderstood the purpose of this thread. The point is to demand why the other side isn't making concessions to your side. Attempting to understand them is effectively off topic here, and might even subject you to moderator action.

Get with the program and start blaming your opponents for everything that's wrong.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 01:59 PM   #136
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

No, I have never paid attention to false accusations, to my recollection.
Are you saying the rightwingers used to?

Quote:

I know that's a real effect, but a lot of rightwingers are primed to only respond to a certain type of rage, and they seek strong, authoritarian leaders.

This free (relatively short, scientific, entertaining) ebook is kind of crucial reading for all skeptics, in my opinion:
https://theauthoritarians.org/
Old 17th August 2018, 02:02 PM   #137
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

You have badly misunderstood the purpose of this thread. The point is to demand why the other side isn't making concessions to your side. Attempting to understand them is effectively off topic here, and might even subject you to moderator action.

Get with the program and start blaming your opponents for everything that's wrong.
The OP was just venting, but once a thread is out there, different people will use it for their own purposes.

But I know you're just venting, too.
Old 17th August 2018, 07:50 PM   #138
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

My sense is that they would not defend any republican as much.
No other has been attacked so much (because no other has earned it so much). "Resistance" equals the force that's applied. Put a 2-pound object on a table, and the table pushes up against it with 2 pounds of force. Put a 15-pound object on the same table, and the table pushes up against it with 15 pounds of force. (Also known in psychology as the "backfire effect")

As I've said before, even before Trump being a republican was defacto evidence of racism and or fascism for a lot of lefties.
It's become so automatic for a lot of them over the years that they don't seem to even be fully aware of what they're doing themselves anymore. The thread where they're simultaneously saying that any & all of their opposition consists of racists/nazis/whatevers but also gloating about how little support a recent racist/nazi gathering got (and most of them in general get) is truly a dizzying sight to behold.

if everything is racist then nothing is racist.
It's funny that Dan Rather's forged-letter episode came up, because the left's reaction to that was one of the most classic examples ever. "Encyclopedia brownshirts". Literally (literally literally), failing to fall for the left's lies equals being a Nazi.

And this was long before Trump, back when some are now claiming that they totally weren't acting the same back then as they are now. No "reich wing", no calling the White House a "plantation house", no saying that some bit of news made the President, VP, or members of the cabinet so happy they'd "goosestep around the Oval Office" in celebration... none of it ever happened.

I think we really need to ratchet do{wn} the "They're all horrible racists" talk if we want to get trump out of office or elect dems this year.
Anything will be sufficient this year, but the effect will wear off if the Democrats' name-calling wing retains the internal power they've held for ages instead of losing enough internal power to the party's focusing-on-policies-to-make-life-better-here wing.

Common ground is to be found not by navigating along the left-right spectrum, but by navigating along the populism-elitism spectrum. Some of Trump's campaign talk (which he has not followed through on in office) was identical to some of Bernie's talking points, and has been very popular coming from both of them. Trump won, and continues to please his rally audiences, by appearing as far from an elitist as possible, and was against an opponent whom nobody could ever mistake for anything but an ultra-elitist.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 06:39 AM   #139
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
No other has been attacked so much (because no other has earned it so much). "Resistance" equals the force that's applied. Put a 2-pound object on a table, and the table pushes up against it with 2 pounds of force. Put a 15-pound object on the same table, and the table pushes up against it with 15 pounds of force. (Also known in psychology as the "backfire effect")

It's become so automatic for a lot of them over the years that they don't seem to even be fully aware of what they're doing themselves anymore. The thread where they're simultaneously saying that any & all of their opposition consists of racists/nazis/whatevers but also gloating about how little support a recent racist/nazi gathering got (and most of them in general get) is truly a dizzying sight to behold.

It's funny that Dan Rather's forged-letter episode came up, because the left's reaction to that was one of the most classic examples ever. "Encyclopedia brownshirts". Literally (literally literally), failing to fall for the left's lies equals being a Nazi.

And this was long before Trump, back when some are now claiming that they totally weren't acting the same back then as they are now. No "reich wing", no calling the White House a "plantation house", no saying that some bit of news made the President, VP, or members of the cabinet so happy they'd "goosestep around the Oval Office" in celebration... none of it ever happened.

Anything will be sufficient this year, but the effect will wear off if the Democrats' name-calling wing retains the internal power they've held for ages instead of losing enough internal power to the party's focusing-on-policies-to-make-life-better-here wing.

Common ground is to be found not by navigating along the left-right spectrum, but by navigating along the populism-elitism spectrum. Some of Trump's campaign talk (which he has not followed through on in office) was identical to some of Bernie's talking points, and has been very popular coming from both of them. Trump won, and continues to please his rally audiences, by appearing as far from an elitist as possible, and was against an opponent whom nobody could ever mistake for anything but an ultra-elitist.

What a pantload. If you want to understand most social issues, you need to look along the empathy-apathy spectrum first, and trumpers' hypersensitivity to being called racists is a good example. No, I don't believe all trumpers are racists; I think a goodly number of them just don't care that Trump and "half" his base are, because it's not an issue that affects them personally, but they know they need that other "half" to maintain political power. They just don't care that racism has real consequences to real people and that Trump's absurd pseudo-populism demagoguery is firing up that base. Then you want to act all offended if anyone points that out?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 08:30 AM   #140
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
What a pantload. If you want to understand most social issues, you need to look along the empathy-apathy spectrum first, and trumpers' hypersensitivity to being called racists is a good example. No, I don't believe all trumpers are racists; I think a goodly number of them just don't care that Trump and "half" his base are, because it's not an issue that affects them personally, but they know they need that other "half" to maintain political power. They just don't care that racism has real consequences to real people and that Trump's absurd pseudo-populism demagoguery is firing up that base. Then you want to act all offended if anyone points that out?
Where is your evidence that I'm a racist? I'm definitely in "half" of Trump's base.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 08:41 AM   #141
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Where is your evidence that I'm a racist? I'm definitely in "half" of Trump's base.
You apparently didn't understand my post. Which "half" you're in is something only you can know (ETA: unless you tell us you're a racist, as many do).

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 18th August 2018 at 08:44 AM.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 08:50 AM   #142
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Now this is a post done right: blame the other side entirely for any failure to find common ground. That's the proper way to post in the politics section.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 09:00 AM   #143
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

You apparently didn't understand my post. Which "half" you're in is something only you can know (ETA: unless you tell us you're a racist, as many do).
I certainly do understand your post. It says half of Trump's base is racist and the other half doesn't care. You pulled the "half" out of thin air and can't possibly support it. You can't even tell me which half I'm in, let alone 30 million other people in my half who voted for Trump. The left has a habit of making things up and using their newly created "evidence" in debate. Must be what they teach in graduate school.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 09:01 AM   #144
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Now this is a post done right: blame the other side entirely for any failure to find common ground. That's the proper way to post in the politics section.

What's the common ground between empathy and apathy? Being selective about whom one has empathy for?

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 18th August 2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 18th August 2018, 09:16 AM   #145
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I certainly do understand your post. It says half of Trump's base is racist and the other half doesn't care. You pulled the "half" out of thin air and can't possibly support it. You can't even tell me which half I'm in, let alone 30 million other people in my half who voted for Trump. The left has a habit of making things up and using their newly created "evidence" in debate. Must be what they teach in graduate school.
He put "half" in scare quotes to signify that it wasn't an even split. Paraphrased, it could read "a lot are actual racists, and the rest don't really care that the other ones are."
Old 18th August 2018, 09:21 AM   #146
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I know you believe that or wish to contend that both sides are equally responsible but that is never actually true. Frankly, until this President I see few differences between the parties on foreign policy. Different politicians might have different perspectives, but it isn't party specific.

On domestic policy it pretty much comes down to social engineering. How do we deal with the poor and the middle class?

The GOP position pretty much takes its inspiration from Ayn Rand, Adam Smith and Gordon Gekko. The view is that selfishness is inevitably good for everyone. By assisting the poor we are being counterproductive. That we are taking away their incentive to do for themselves. The best remedy for poverty is for the government to get out of the way and resist the attempt to help.

Democrats OTOH, see the inherent unfairness of the economic system and see that the every man for himself leads to a good quality of life for only a select few. That government involvement is not only good but necessary. If there is an inspiration for Democrats, it would have to be John Rawls and his Original Position and the veil of ignorance.

These two positions are so diametrically opposed that finding common ground is pretty much an impossibility.
Old 18th August 2018, 09:23 AM   #147
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

You understand neither my point nor why I put "half" in quotes. I suspect that I can only help you with the second one: It was the word Hillary used in the remark that trumpers took such great offense to.
Old 18th August 2018, 09:26 AM   #148
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Delvo, your rightwing comrade, did it first!
Old 18th August 2018, 09:50 AM   #149
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I know you believe that or wish to contend that both sides are equally responsible but that is never actually true.
No, that is neither what I believe nor contend.
Old 18th August 2018, 09:52 AM   #150
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

What's the common ground between empathy and apathy? Being selective about whom one has empathy for?
Everyone is selective about whom they have empathy for. Nobody has empathy for everyone.
Old 18th August 2018, 09:54 AM   #151
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No, that is neither what I believe nor contend.
Fair enough. It seems that way though.
Old 18th August 2018, 09:56 AM   #152
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Everyone is selective about whom they have empathy for. Nobody has empathy for everyone.
That may be true, but some try harder to extend that empathy beyond friends or casual acquaintances.
Old 18th August 2018, 10:00 AM   #153
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

True enough, and now can you explain why "half" of trumpers don't care about racism?
Old 18th August 2018, 10:00 AM   #154
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That may be true, but some try harder to extend that empathy beyond friends or casual acquaintances.
And some have empathy for strangers but treat the people around them like crap. The world is full of variety.
Old 18th August 2018, 10:02 AM   #155
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

True enough, and now can you explain why "half" of trumpers don't care about racism?
The premise of your question is unproven.
Old 18th August 2018, 10:05 AM   #156
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I actually can answer that. They literally don't know how harmful it is. They really think there's more discrimination against white folks nowadays. They think black people have access to all kinds of government benefits white people don't have access to, and other beliefs like that which make the occasional klan rally seem like not a big deal to them.
Old 18th August 2018, 10:06 AM   #157
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

How many Trump fans do you know?
Old 18th August 2018, 10:09 AM   #158
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

How many Trump fans do you know?
My surroundings are not representative. No possible answer I could give to your question could prove or disprove the assertion in question. Nor can I read minds to know what people actually care about.
Old 18th August 2018, 10:18 AM   #159
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And some have empathy for strangers but treat the people around them like crap. The world is full of variety.
No question. But it's not really a coincidence that Republicans are frequently described by Democrats as 'selfish' and Republicans refer to Democrats as 'bleeding hearts'. Which do you think is more likely to being 'empathetic'?
Old 18th August 2018, 10:21 AM   #160
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

The evidence is that they first nominated and then elected Trump. I rest my case.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics