IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Omarosa Manigault , Trump appointees , Trump supporters

Old 20th August 2018, 08:08 AM   #321
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
You know this whole empathy mini-discussion is a result of Zig using a very "unconventional", almost unique to him definition of the word in order to argue that empathy is a very bad thing, yes?
I said empathy is overrated, and I said that it's a bad basis for evaluating public policy. I never said it was a very bad thing. In fact, I explicitly said it was useful for personal interactions.

What is that nonsense supposed to mean?
You will need to further specify your confusion if you want additional clarification, because I see nothing wrong with what I wrote.

Or maybe he actually hates empathy.
That is an actual distinct possibility, too.
That stuff is kind of a thing with libertarians.
This is one of the ironies of this discussion: you're championing empathy in the abstract, but you can't manage to actually display any towards me. I'm not a libertarian, and I don't hate empathy.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 08:09 AM   #322
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Women are 51% of the population and they are largely (and correctly) seen as marginalized.
Ok so how do we marginalize trump supporters? Who currently poll at 40%.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 08:17 AM   #323
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
When linguistic nuance is being used intentionally as an argumentative instead of arising naturally repeatedly stopping the conversation for clarification does not help, indeed it is counter productive.

As I said, I think you're missing a lot in this particular case. But okay, take it back to what started the discussion of definitions. As an example of what I was talking about with the "empathy-apathy spectrum" might be Trump's Muslim ban. Can you put yourself in the position of being a Muslim living in America, perhaps not far removed from a foreign country, and the president is saying we don't want any more of your kind here? And what will his followers make of that, which might affect your well-being? I'm sure not all trumpers hate Muslims or any of the other groups that Trump does, but they also don't care what effect Trumpism has on them. Put whatever definition you want on that, and it's still the same.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 08:23 AM   #324
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

One thing that can be very helpful to more discussion forward is to sum up what you think the other side is saying and see if they agree that you got their views right. This can actually be a pretty useful way of reaching common ground, at least as a first step toward that goal.

Can anyone sum up Ziggurat's views?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 08:24 AM   #325
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I said empathy is overrated, and I said that it's a bad basis for evaluating public policy. I never said it was a very bad thing. In fact, I explicitly said it was useful for personal interactions.
You said it (but not compassion) is "very bad" when used in policy formulation. Of course you think it's fine in personal stuff, because you're using that bizarre definition where it just means "empathy as in compassion (when it's a sympathetic sort) for members of your in-group and maybe a few exceptions, because that's the only sort of empathy that really exists."

Quote:
You will need to further specify your confusion if you want additional clarification, because I see nothing wrong with what I wrote.
You still won't tell me where you're getting your definition of empathy from.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

"Empathy is a complex psychological response in which observation, memory, knowledge, and reasoning are combined to yield insights into the thoughts and feelings of others."
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 08:28 AM   #326
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
One thing that can be very helpful to more discussion forward is to sum up what you think the other side is saying and see if they agree that you got their views right. This can actually be a pretty useful way of reaching common ground, at least as a first step toward that goal.

Can anyone sum up Ziggurat's views?
He thinks empathy is over-rated and "very bad" when used in the formulation of policies, because empathy is biased, and sometimes it results in bringing out people's drive to seek revenge on another's behalf if you see a victim. He thinks "compassion" is acceptable in formulating policy, though.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 08:37 AM   #327
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not a libertarian, and I don't hate empathy.
I guess being a libertarian isn't like being pregnant or not. It's a scale.

On a 1 to 10 scale of libertarianism, where a one is someone who would be totally fine as a member of the ruling elite in Brave New World, and a 10 is Charles or David Koch, where are you?

I'm put myself at a... 4, I guess.
Old 20th August 2018, 12:37 PM   #328
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It's hard to find common ground with people who make up their own facts.
That's what I'm absolutely terrified of.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 12:40 PM   #329
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
That's what I'm absolutely terrified of.
Well at least the white house sacked the speech writer who gave a speech and a nazi convention.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/19/polit...lub/index.html
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 04:09 PM   #330
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well at least the white house sacked the speech writer who gave a speech and a nazi convention.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/19/polit...lub/index.html
I heard he's gone to work for the campaign.
Old 20th August 2018, 06:03 PM   #331
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The reality is that there is very little common ground politically. Non-Politically there is a lot, both sides think that hot dogs are a perfect food for a baseball game, and for some reason believe that a Cheese pizza is actually something, rather than that it's missing the real toppings. They agree that you have Turkey on Turkey Day, and Parades and fireworks on Independence Day.

Sadly when it comes to Politics these just isn't the case. Over half of those voting in the 2016 General Elections reported via exit polling that they distrusted the party they didn't vote for to the point where they believed if that party were to gain power, they would destroy the US through their policies, and the difference in percentage between which party was voted for wasn't that significant.

When over half the country believe that their political rivals are so terrible that they are out to destroy the country, how can you find common ground politically? Sadly, I suspect that should this poll be conducted today, the stats would be even worse.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 06:16 PM   #332
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
The reality is that there is very little common ground politically. Non-Politically there is a lot, both sides think that hot dogs are a perfect food for a baseball game, and for some reason believe that a Cheese pizza is actually something, rather than that it's missing the real toppings. They agree that you have Turkey on Turkey Day, and Parades and fireworks on Independence Day.
Which is why the federal government should be reduced in size. The less important it is in our daily lives, the less consuming these political differences are.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 06:22 PM   #333
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

We're breaking the government so compromise by doing exactly what we want and break it more! Even though that will give us more power over your lives by removing protections!

Such ground. Much common.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 06:30 PM   #334
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Which is why the federal government should be reduced in size. The less important it is in our daily lives, the less consuming these political differences are.
I totally agree, but I'd also like to point out that a lot of outrage seems to be based on a gross overestimation of how important the federal government is in our daily lives, even in its current intrusiveness.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 06:35 PM   #335
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I totally agree, but I'd also like to point out that a lot of outrage seems to be based on a gross overestimation of how important the federal government is in our daily lives, even in its current intrusiveness.
Why do you think Medicare and S.S. are referred to as the "third rail" in politics? If those checks stopped coming you would have a revolt.

Last edited by Fudbucker; 20th August 2018 at 06:38 PM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 06:39 PM   #336
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Why do you think Medicare and S.S. are referred to as the "third rail" in politics?
Why do you think that Plato's Socratic Douchebaggery was a better way to explain your point of view, than simply explaining your point of view?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 07:01 PM   #337
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Which is why the federal government should be reduced in size.
Government bad, Anarchy good!

Quote:
The less important it is in our daily lives, the less consuming these political differences are.
Even if there was no Federal government, there would still be plenty of political differences.

Could be interesting though. No congress, no judiciary, no president! 50 individual states each with their own army - some with nukes. With any luck the political differences between them will spark a multitude of wars. Those of us who hate America say, bring it on!
Old 20th August 2018, 07:03 PM   #338
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Except that this isn't common ground either.The Right wants less Government Regulating Businesses, the Left wants more regulations protecting people from Businesses. The Left want the Government out of the bedroom and Toilets, the Right wants the Government to regulated who you can love, have sex with, marry and which bathroom you have to use.

Neither side really want less Government, they just want less Government control over their pet areas and more controls over the other side's pet areas.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 20th August 2018 at 07:05 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 07:08 PM   #339
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Why do you think that Plato's Socratic Douchebaggery was a better way to explain your point of view, than simply explaining your point of view?
Um, OK. This claim you made:
Quote:
was wrong. It was wrong because government is HUGELY important in people's lives. People UNDERESTIMATE how important it is. I illustrated this by pointing out how important Medicare/S.S. are to a huge amount of people.

I could go on about other governmental programs, but you get the point now, right?

Last edited by Fudbucker; 20th August 2018 at 07:10 PM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 07:10 PM   #340
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Um, OK. This claim you made:

was wrong. It was wrong because government is HUGELY important in people's lives. People UNDERESTIMATE how important it is. I illustrated this by pointing out how important Medicare/S.S. are to a huge amount of people.

I could go on about other governmental programs, but you get the point now, right?
That's your claim.
Old 20th August 2018, 07:13 PM   #341
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Except that this isn't common ground either.The Right wants less Government Regulating Businesses, the Left wants more regulations protecting people from Businesses. The Left want the Government out of the bedroom and Toilets, the Right wants the Government to regulated who you can love, have sex with, marry and which bathroom you have to use.

Neither side really want less Government, they just want less Government control over their pet areas and more controls over the other side's pet areas.
You skipped reproductive rights. That one trumps everything for me. The Right has been on the wrong side of that issue since I've been alive. The Left could sell out on taxes and business regulations (like a lot of people think they have), but as long as they're pro-choice, I'll support them.
Old 20th August 2018, 07:13 PM   #342
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I don't agree with this opinion. The government should be there to protect our environment, people, food, drugs and more. The government should be there to protect minorities from the persecution of the majority. Government should be there to provide for the general welfare of the public. Government should be there to help the poor, the disabled and those who can't help themselves. Reduction in the size of government only serves to give power to the wealthy and away from the people.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 07:14 PM   #343
Fudbucker
Philosopher

That's your claim.
Yes, my claim is that you're wrong. I gave an example why. Do you still think people overestimate how important the federal government is in their lives?
Old 20th August 2018, 07:15 PM   #344
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You skipped reproductive rights.
That was covered in the "each side's pet areas" bit.

Old 20th August 2018, 07:17 PM   #345
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, my claim is that you're wrong. I gave an example why. Do you still think people overestimate how important the federal government is in their lives?
I believe they underestimate the importance. From what we eat, to what we drive and drive on is safer because of government. Without government, acid rain would still be a thing and even worse. Fraud would not be a crime. It's been shown time and time again that the free market does not self-correct with the public's safety or interest in mind.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 07:23 PM   #346
Fudbucker
Philosopher

That was covered in the "each side's pet areas" bit.
The problem with that is that reproductive rights aren't any more of a "pet area" than civil rights (which is also a Democrat thing). The modern Democratic party has been right on these issues (reproductive rights and civil rights), and has had to do constant battle against a religiously motivated opposition that has shown itself to be racist, misogynistic, and ignorant.

There is no moral equivalency between the two sides. If not for our weird system, liberals would be running Congress and the Presidency and choosing SCOTUS judges.
Old 20th August 2018, 07:42 PM   #347
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Plato was a Socratic douchebag. Got it.

Originally Posted by tyr_13
Such ground. Much common.
Actually I think there is a lot of common ground, but it won't be admitted to by certain posters because that would involve being on ground that doesn't belong to them alone. And they will stand their ground no matter how swampy it becomes, because to move onto common ground is to admit that theirs is a swamp.
Old 20th August 2018, 07:47 PM   #348
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

The lack of moral equivalency on health care is so stark that, after we get that under control like the entire rest of the modern civilized world, it will be one of those things that even the conservatives of the time will agree are obviously such basic government obligations that of course there's no way they or any other sane person would ever oppose any of them or any responsible government would ever neglect, just like clean water, food that isn't rotten or parasite-infested, roads, a military force, and police.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 07:52 PM   #349
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Except that this isn't common ground either.
What do you mean, “except”? Yes, lots of people don’t agree with me, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong about it.
Old 20th August 2018, 07:57 PM   #350
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Government bad, Anarchy good!
When my opponents use such ridiculously transparent straw men, it makes me wonder if they are trying to convince other people, or themselves.
Old 20th August 2018, 08:05 PM   #351
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The lack of moral equivalency on health care is so stark that, after we get that under control like the entire rest of the modern civilized world, it will be one of those things that even the conservatives of the time will agree are obviously such basic government obligations that of course there's no way they or any other sane person would ever oppose any of them or any responsible government would ever neglect, just like clean water, food that isn't rotten or parasite-infested, roads, a military force, and police.
You would think that they aren't opposed to clean water, food..etc. However, they are applauding the Trump regimes dismantling of EPA and FDA standards.
Old 20th August 2018, 08:08 PM   #352
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

After 350 posts I think we can safely say that the common ground (sub: in the current US political environment) is that both sides like to belittle the other.

Question answered. Thread closed.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 08:24 PM   #353
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This is a 300 million + people country. There a multitude of complicated complex needs. What size is right? What government services are not needed? Should we eliminate SSN, AFDC, NOAA, DARPA, NASA, FDA, FEC, HUD, EPA, DOT, NHTSA, FAA,etc, etc. How about the Navy or the Air Force?

This idea of reducing the Federal government without knowing precisely why and how it should be cut and what the effects would be is absurd.

I'm all in favor of being efficient but smaller just for the sake of smaller is basically dumbass right wing radio talk.

Last edited by acbytesla; 20th August 2018 at 08:27 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 09:24 PM   #354
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I heard he's gone to work for the campaign.
From the CNN story:

Quote:
The White House, which asked CNN to hold off on the story for several days last week declined to say when Beattie left the White House. Beattie's email address at the White House, which worked until late Friday evening, was no longer active by Saturday.
Apparently CNN honored that White House request? How did they find common ground? I actually find it kind of encouraging that there is apparently a working relationship between CNN and the White House.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 09:39 PM   #355
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Non-Politically there is a lot, both sides think that hot dogs are a perfect food for a baseball game, and for some reason believe that a Cheese pizza is actually something, rather than that it's missing the real toppings. They agree that you have Turkey on Turkey Day, and Parades and fireworks on Independence Day.
I'll be attending a ballgame with my right-wing brother and nephew Saturday ... courtesy my left-wing brother's birthday gift to said nephew ... we will talk about baseball.

I'm rooting for Havana to get an MLB team.

When over half the country believe that their political rivals are so terrible that they are out to destroy the country, how can you find common ground politically? Sadly, I suspect that should this poll be conducted today, the stats would be even worse.
I keep wondering about this. At the extremes of polarity how can it get worse? Civil war, of course. There's that.

Though in its heart of hearts I'm pretty sure the Right knows that the POS in the White House is not worth fighting a war over.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 09:59 PM   #356
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'll be attending a ballgame with my right-wing brother and nephew Saturday ... courtesy my left-wing brother's birthday gift to said nephew ... we will talk about baseball.

I'm rooting for Havana to get an MLB team.

I keep wondering about this. At the extremes of polarity how can it get worse? Civil war, of course. There's that.

Though in its heart of hearts I'm pretty sure the Right knows that the POS in the White House is not worth fighting a war over.
If fake news would stop lying about everything political under the sun the problems would go away. For example, the whole Ferguson debacle was caused by fake news. No fake news, no Ferguson.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 10:08 PM   #357
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
If fake news would stop lying about everything political under the sun the problems would go away. For example, the whole Ferguson debacle was caused by fake news. No fake news, no Ferguson.
The DoJ disagree

Seriously, you should read it. When the court officials use their work emails to send racist jokes about crimestoppers funding abortions for blacks, and void traffic fines for them and their friends whilst saying that blacks don't take responsibility for their actions, then justice is obviously not being administered equally.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 10:09 PM   #358
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I have never thought that way about the GOP even though I have strong differences about the best way forward for the country. But the Republican party isn't even the party it was 2 years ago. Now it is the party of Trump. And Trump's attacks on dedicated public servants, and the press not to mention his dumbass tariffs all pose a serious threat to the country.
Old 20th August 2018, 10:48 PM   #359
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The problem with that is that reproductive rights aren't any more of a "pet area" than civil rights (which is also a Democrat thing). The modern Democratic party has been right on these issues (reproductive rights and civil rights), and has had to do constant battle against a religiously motivated opposition that has shown itself to be racist, misogynistic, and ignorant.

There is no moral equivalency between the two sides. If not for our weird system, liberals would be running Congress and the Presidency and choosing SCOTUS judges.
But see this is just it, you are so sure that you are right about where you stand on Abortion and Civil Rights issues, and yet so are those that are on the other side. What you see as the right of a woman to have control over her own body, they see as murdering another human. There is no common ground because you are diametrically opposed to each other's positions, and you both exclaim that you are the ones whom are right.

Case in point....

What do you mean, “except”? Yes, lots of people don’t agree with me, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong about it.
It's not about being wrong or right, the fact is that both sides claim to be the ones that are right, it's that as you yourself admit, there are lots of people that don't agree with you, and thus there is no common ground.

Old 20th August 2018, 10:55 PM   #360
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Another perfect example of the issue. One side depicts the media as "Fake News" and liars and enemies of the people, brainwashing those that listen to them to hate the President, believe untruths, and to see a distorted version of reality.

The other side sees the media as courageous stalwarts, standing firm against the flood of lies coming from the White House and a dysfunctional President, a press corps that is willing and able to inform and tell the people the truth and reality of the situation the country is in.

How do you find any common ground here?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics