IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: What will happen to Rudy.
He's so loyal Trump will make him his running mate in 2020. 1 2.78%
He'll continue being Trump's crazy lawyer and spokesperson. 8 22.22%
He won't be indicted, but Trump will pretend he doesn't know him. 10 27.78%
Rudy will be indicted but won't be convicted. 6 16.67%
He'll be convicted but Trump will pardon him 7 19.44%
The guy is toast. "America's mayor will die in prison. 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th November 2019, 06:07 PM   #1
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What's going to happen to Rudy?

I figure it is time to give Rudy his own thread. Given that he's being investigated by the group of pit bulls he use to lead 25 years ago, I'm curious what people think what will happen to him.
Old 9th November 2019, 06:10 PM   #2
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think that all depends on how successful the Federal Bureau of Prisons has been in stopping sexual assault in their facilities.
Old 9th November 2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He'll die. Eventually. Sometime before that he'll become a punch line.
Old 9th November 2019, 06:16 PM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

His cursed dentures are going to bite his tongue off as soon as he hits his one millionth lie. Saw it in an episode of Twilight Zone!
Old 9th November 2019, 06:46 PM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Hanging's too good for him.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:53 PM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Hanging's too good for him.
Thanks to fractals his old man turkey neck has an infinite circumferance, they'd never manage to get a noose big enough.
Old 9th November 2019, 06:55 PM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Thanks to fractals his old man turkey neck has an infinite circumferance, they'd never manage to get a noose big enough.
People can be hanged by other body parts and left until picked clean by the vultures.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 07:19 PM   #8
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
What will happen to Rudy?

He's so loyal Trump will make him his running mate in 2020.

He'll continue being Trump's crazy lawyer and spokesperson.

Whatever he's accused of doing with or saying to Trump, they'll both deny, then some evidence will be found, then they'll both say they don't remember, then it'll be proven in other ways, then they'll say, it doesn't matter Biden's cousin's neighbour did D,F, or G.

He will be indicted, and throw Trump under the bus for a plea bargain.

He'll be convicted and Trump will try to pardon him in return for some shady mob stuff behind bars, but too late when the GOP's election campaign will be ruled invalid by 19 House Committee investigations, multiple state investigations, the IRS, and Russia, Iran, China, Korea, Israel and Saudi Arabia throwing the Trump Campaign, its associates, and the GOP under the bus.

They're all toast.

Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 08:03 PM   #9
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I have suspicions, but currently I'm waiting on the evidence.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 08:49 PM   #10
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I figure it is time to give Rudy his own thread. Given that he's being investigated by the group of pit bulls he use to lead 25 years ago, I'm curious what people think what will happen to him.
I first read that as "tread". As in "bus tire".
Old 9th November 2019, 09:07 PM   #11
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Michael Cohen under one tire and Rudy under another. What is it they say?

"The wheels on the bus go round and round

all over Rudy."
Old 9th November 2019, 09:37 PM   #12
sphenisc
Philosopher

The shadows on the wall tell me the sun is going down
And Rudy, will take his love to town.
Old 9th November 2019, 09:46 PM   #13
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

He will be prosecuted, and he and Trump will use the diversion to cry more Witch Hunt!
At the end, Trump will Pardon him.
Old 9th November 2019, 10:02 PM   #14
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

"Rudy Giuliani? I don't know him, never met him."

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 11:42 PM   #15
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I have no idea yet. The fact that the dems aren't enforcing the subpoena yet is worrying me.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 12:14 AM   #16
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Firstly, he will get a very close look at what the underside of a bus looks like.

Secondly, SDNY will indict him (I believe Barr's loyalty to Trump is not infinite)

Thirdly, when the prospect of ending up in a Federal prison as an inmate with so many of the crims he put there looks to approach certainty, he will sing like a canary.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 01:43 AM   #17
Cain
Straussian

Since Rudy's one of the people who truly knows what happened and can clear the president, Democrats will do everything in their power to stop him from testifying.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 06:11 AM   #18
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I think the more interesting question is, “What happened to Rudy?”

Granted, he rode 9/11 pretty hard, but not without some merit, to some extent at least. Did he simply pull an Icarus and attempt to fly too high on a poorly thought out set of wings? Or is he exhibiting dementia? Or just had too much Trump kool-aid?
Old 10th November 2019, 08:35 AM   #19
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
People can be hanged by other body parts and left until picked clean by the vultures.

Nobby Hall was hanged by his one remaining arm, apparently.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 09:12 AM   #20
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post

Granted, he rode 9/11 pretty hard, but not without some merit, to some extent at least. Did he simply pull an Icarus and attempt to fly too high on a poorly thought out set of wings? Or is he exhibiting dementia? Or just had too much Trump kool-aid?
I saw a thing a while back that said he's developed a really bad drinking problem. Pretty sure he dumped his wife for a younger model, too. Basically, a chaotic personal life. You can't rule out the possibility that he takes the same drugs Trump probably does (stimulants at times, tranquilizers at others.)

I sense that he was never very bright (he probably barely passed the bar), but had a lot of natural charisma, and that's what he coasted on for most of his life.

Once Trump entered his life on an close and personal level, the "Everything Trump Touches Dies" effect kicked in. "Crazy" can be contagious, too. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_%C3%A0_deux

eta:
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/...i-divorce.html
Quote:
Judith Giuliani is every bit as calm and cool as the empty, deeply air-conditioned Mount Fuji in Southampton where she has opted to meet late on a blistering August afternoon. Her soon-to-be-ex-husband, in commenting on her commenting on his infidelity and mendacity, has told reporters that she is spiteful and full of rage
Quote:
So, as if to get the whole thing over with, she has raced straight to the answer to the big question that is buzzing like a bee around the table as it has been buzzing around New York and, apparently, her life: What has happened to Rudy?
Quote:
“It was an ongoing process,” she insists, “that began when he lost the presidential campaign.” Okay, then: a process of what? Aging, dementia, galloping halitosis; loss of faith, relevance, marbles … what? Maddeningly, she goes mum.

“For a variety of reasons that I know as a spouse and a nurse,” she seals it, “he has become a different man.”

“Nurse” feels like a clue, as does her repeated use of the word “enablers” to describe his posse. Rumors abound as to his drinking and he denied them.
Quote:
There seems little doubt that Rudy has been known to overdo it. “I’ve seen him drink more in the past two years than I’d seen him drink in the past twenty,” a friend of Rudy’s told me
Quote:
Last August, while hosting a barbecue with Judith here in the Hamptons, Rudy took a serious fall, necessitating an ambulance, surgery, and months of arduous therapy overseen by his wife whom, he told “Page Six,” he had taken to calling “Nurse Nancy.” I ask whether that fall involved alcohol. Judith declines to comment.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by kellyb; 10th November 2019 at 09:23 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 09:30 AM   #21
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I have no idea yet. The fact that the dems aren't enforcing the subpoena yet is worrying me.
Their strategy is not getting bogged down waiting for the courts but to list the stonewalling as one of the articles of impeachment. And frankly, i think that article is the most damning.

I do hope they follow up and issue contempt citations to every single person who refused their subpoenas. And I don't say that seeking retribution but allowing this sets a horrible precedent.
Old 10th November 2019, 09:41 AM   #22
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

My take:
He has been part of Team Trump for a long time, but that team has been losing members - Alies, Cohen, Stone, to name the most critical.
I think Giuliani took it upon himself to replace all of them: become a lawyer, fixer and media surrogate looking for the dirty trick to help Trump stay in power.
Seeing how much success and contacts Manafort had in Ukraine, and how much of a pain the country has been in Trump's attempts to make Russia a formal ally, it is not surprising that Rudy thought he could do an Roger Alies-level false information campaign.
Old 10th November 2019, 10:04 AM   #23
dann
Penultimate Amazing

He's so loyal Trump will mate with him in 2020.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 12:08 PM   #24
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Michael Cohen under one tire and Rudy under another. What is it they say?

"The wheels on the bus go round and round

all over Rudy."
I don't think The PDJT realizes (or cares) that if he gets reelected, Michael Cohen will be released from prison shortly into his second term. I can't wait for the inevitable tell-all book.
Old 10th November 2019, 12:41 PM   #25
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Rich old guy? He'll get off scot-free. They all will.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 01:20 PM   #26
Mumbles
Philosopher

He's been scummy for a good long time, IMO, although he's recently seen new lows as an open subverter of US diplomacy. His weird ferret ban, his vindictive attacks on museums, his unsealing Patrick Dorismond's juvinile record to show that "he was no altar boy" (Dorismond had actually served as an altar boy), His fondness for Bernie Kerik, his launching his mayoral campaign during a racist police riot (that was a response to Dinkens attempting to create a civilian review board)...

Even in 9/11 he was actually a hindrance, having demanded the NYC's Emergency Management Center be placed in building 7 of the WTC, despite it being a known terrorist target.

(Do his kids still refuse to talk to him?)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 01:38 PM   #27
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Wishful thinking, I'm afraid, though I don't think Trump would hesitate to throw him under the bus, if he decides it's to his advantage to do so.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 01:39 PM   #28
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

I hear the words "I barely knew him. We might have met once or twice, he basically got the coffee" in his future.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 03:21 PM   #29
portlandatheist
Illuminator

What I don't understand is why there is such little talk about his blatant violations of the Logan Act. There is some chatter about it, but not very much
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 04:02 PM   #30
Mumbles
Philosopher

As for consequences: Ghouliani's already being blamed for the entire mess - although how this works when Dolt 45 outright tells the Ukraine PM to talk to him in his pseudo-transcript, I have no clue.

I expect he'll be disbarred, but will likely avoid jail time.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 05:03 PM   #31
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Their strategy is not getting bogged down waiting for the courts but to list the stonewalling as one of the articles of impeachment. And frankly, i think that article is the most damning.

I do hope they follow up and issue contempt citations to every single person who refused their subpoenas. And I don't say that seeking retribution but allowing this sets a horrible precedent.

Those who have have refused to respect lawful subpoenas need to go down, and go down hard. This is necessary to send a clear and unequivocal message to those in future who are subpoenaed by Congress that compliance is not optional!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 05:10 PM   #32
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Those who have have refused to respect lawful subpoenas need to go down, and go down hard. This is necessary to send a clear and unequivocal message to those in future who are subpoenaed by Congress that compliance is not optional!
Yep,
Old 10th November 2019, 05:16 PM   #33
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He'll die. Eventually. Sometime before that he'll become a punch line.
I see him like a caricature. A pathetic one. I voted Trump will throw him under the bus, no fuss, a flick of one of his small fingers.
Old 10th November 2019, 05:32 PM   #34
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I see him like a caricature. A pathetic one. I voted Trump will throw him under the bus, no fuss, a flick of one of his small fingers.
I figured that Trump will pardon him if Trump is voted out of office. The worst thing for Rudy would be for the Senate to convict Trump. But if that doesn't happen I figure Trump will pardon Rudy and Flynn and Manafort and himself. I mean no skin off Trump.
Old 10th November 2019, 05:42 PM   #35
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

I figured that Trump will pardon him if Trump is voted out of office. The worst thing for Rudy would be for the Senate to convict Trump. But if that doesn't happen I figure Trump will pardon Rudy and Flynn and Manafort and himself. I mean no skin off Trump.
Yes, yes. It's just that I get such enjoyment from imagining them in jumpsuits. But I don't see that as happening, in reality. So many scenarios to contemplate.
Old 10th November 2019, 05:50 PM   #36
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Yes, yes. It's just that I get such enjoyment from imagining them in jumpsuits. But I don't see that as happening, in reality. So many scenarios to contemplate.
Rudy's problem is like Trump's in that appears as if he has criminal liability in NY State as well. The two Russians that were indicted are looking like they are going to flip on Giuliani and Trump. There are going to be more shoes to drop.
Old 10th November 2019, 06:16 PM   #37
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

Rudy's problem is like Trump's in that appears as if he has criminal liability in NY State as well. The two Russians that were indicted are looking like they are going to flip on Giuliani and Trump. There are going to be more shoes to drop.

Do you really think that a man like Lev Parnas would flip?

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...to-investigate

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 06:48 PM   #38
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Do you really think that a man like Lev Parnas would flip?

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...to-investigate
I guess even faster than I thought.

I swear the GOP's thinks "gaslighting" the entire United States is the best strategy.

Is Vindman lying? Is Ambassador Taylor lying? Is Fiona Hill lying? Is Ambassador Yovanovitch lying? Is Ambassador Sondland lying? Hell EVERY SINGLE testimony has backed up the Whistleblower's report and all the serious sycophants have decided they can't be bothered to testify even though they were subpoenaed!

And yet Trump is being denied due process? Give me a break. Rudy, the liar, I mean lawyer in thie middle of all this and only mentioned more than 600 times in the various testimonies could clear this up. But does Rudy testify? Nope. Mulvaney is Trump's chief of staff. He could correct the record on Trump's behalf couldn't he? That is if he would be willing to stand up and be counted. Does he testify? Nope. How about Secretary of State Pompeo? Nope. Energy Secretary Perry? No again.

And yet the GOP is whining that the whistleblower who admitted that ALL of his knowledge was second hand needs to testify? A person who has EVERY RIGHT to keep silent? Give me a break you dishonest scumbags.
Old 10th November 2019, 08:17 PM   #39
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
What I don't understand is why there is such little talk about his blatant violations of the Logan Act. There is some chatter about it, but not very much
Well, the text of the law says:

Quote:
Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
It was authorized by Trump, and traditionally, the president sets foreign policy.

I'm not sure I'd choose this particular law to run on with this stuff...
Old 11th November 2019, 03:25 AM   #40
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has thrown several people under the bus, and a week or two ago publicly distanced himself from Giuliani by saying that he hadn't spoken to him and didn't know if he was still Trump's lawyer. So I wouldn't bet my house on loyalty and protection from Trump, were I Giuliani.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics