ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th August 2019, 07:50 AM   #41
sackett
Philosopher

Rebop a lula, a...

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
Why don't you believe in life after death?
I believe in the magic of rock 'n roll.

...bop bam boom

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:56 AM   #42
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Just to note: the point of the Shakespeare quote is whether one should commit suicide.

Oh, I want to. But there's no evidence.
Are you sure there is no evidence? would it be evidence of science?
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:57 AM   #43
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

There's no credible evidence.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:57 AM   #44
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Listen since you literally haven't been coherent enough to pass a Turing Test, I'll be brief.

There is no other kind of evidence then "evidence of science."

The voices in your head are not evidence.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:06 AM   #45
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Listen since you literally haven't been coherent enough to pass a Turing Test, I'll be brief.

There is no other kind of evidence then "evidence of science."

The voices in your head are not evidence.
are you skeptical? what evidence would be valid?
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:08 AM   #46
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
There's no credible evidence.

Dave
What would be evidence for you?
Old 13th August 2019, 08:13 AM   #47
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Smile

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
I believe in the magic of rock 'n roll.

...bop bam boom
I already read a book called "a rocker in the beyond" I think it has not translated into English!
Old 13th August 2019, 08:24 AM   #48
Thermal
Philosopher

Ricardo. Dude. Just an observation:

Probably every poster on this forum has considered your OP question. In their teen years, or perhaps when lit up like a Christmas tree. What many of us land on is that consciousness is a property of living critters. As far as we can tell, it stops upon death. What with decaying animals not being responsive to stimuli and what have you. The rest of the musings are kind of speculative, and you may be met with an expectation of something more than Socratic rhetoric to entertain the OP query. Just a heads up.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:27 AM   #49
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Properly controlled experiments yielding unambiguous positive results. And forget all the "your scientific approach cannot measure everything" crap; the purpose of the scientific method is to distinguish between actual phenomena and the specious claims of lying charlatans, and saying "Your skepticism prevents you knowing the Truth" is what those latter individuals inevitably hide behind.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:29 AM   #50
8enotto
Muse

Ricardo, why should anyone worry of life after death?

What are the consequences of either choice involved, as you know?
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 10:34 AM   #51
LarryS
Muse

We live, think, act, that is positive; we die, and that's no less right. Leaving Earth, where are we going? What will we become? Will we be better or worse? Will we be or won't we? To be or not to be, such is the alternative; it is forever or never; it is all or nothing: either we will live forever, or it will all end without return. It's well worth thinking about.
I don't always drink, but when I do, I make sure to post.
LarryS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:08 AM   #52
Mojo
Mostly harmless

What would be evidence for the fairies at the bottom of the garden?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:39 AM   #53
Belz...
Fiend God

Are you sure there is no evidence?
Yes.

By all means, present the evidence you think you have. I warn you, though, the odds of you presenting something I haven't seen before are slim.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 12:56 PM   #54
winter salt
Critical Thinker

Unlike others I don't require a scientific evidence.
If I can experience something of it I might accept it as evidence,
providing that I can believe that that experience was not a hallucination or just a dream.
I had dreams relating to dead people but I am not convinced that they're anything beyond dreams.

I'd prefer another (better) life than this one though.
Please convince me there's one.
If I'm convinced I might destroy everything here to go there now, maybe take everybody else with me (they'll forgive me).

Would you like someone else do that for you? Take you there now since you're not going yourself ?
winter salt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 12:58 PM   #55
JesseCuster
Muse

"Before I give you any evidence, let's discuss what would qualify to you as evidence..."

Heard it before. If you've got anything, present it.
JesseCuster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 02:51 PM   #56
Thor 2
Philosopher

Do you still believe that there is no life after death?

We have lots of evidence that the life of a person ceases when the body dies. We can observe the deterioration of the functioning of the brain, and hence the quality of the self entity, when physical brain damage happens. This can be the result of disease or trauma.

If a person suffers a deterioration of self entity what has happened to the part that is lost? Is it hovering around waiting for the remaining part, still in the physical body to join it, when the body dies?
Old 13th August 2019, 06:02 PM   #57
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Well most religions claim you should worry about it a lot, because what you are doing now will have effect on what will happen then.
And the most important thing is to choose the right religion, as following wrong one leads to bad afterlife for sure.
Some amount of aggresivity is clearly needed so the religion can survive the competition with other religions suck your bank account dry while convincing you that you made the "right choice".
Accuracy.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 06:20 PM   #58
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

We live, think, act, that is positive; we die, and that's no less right. Leaving Earth, where are we going? What will we become? Will we be better or worse? Will we be or won't we? To be or not to be, such is the alternative; it is forever or never; it is all or nothing: either we will live forever, or it will all end without return. It's well worth thinking about.

Try going into the hospital for a fever and coming out 6 weeks later on dialysis for the rest of your life - unable to take a shower ever again, too weak to walk, too tired to drive, unable to pack lunch for your children.

There are a hell of a lot more options than being alive or dead. And many of them suck.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 06:55 PM   #59
winter salt
Critical Thinker

Ricardo,

you haven't answered any of my questions.

I wanted to be convinced of an afterlife.

Go to hell.
winter salt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:01 PM   #60
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by winter salt View Post
Ricardo,

Go to hell.
He can't ..
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:56 PM   #61
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Ser o no ser, esa es la pregunta,
Si es más noble en la mente sufrir
Las hondas y flechas de escandalosa fortuna,
O tomar las armas contra un mar de problemas,
¿Y al oponerse a ellos? Morir: dormir;
No más; y por un sueño para decir que terminamos
El dolor de corazón y las mil conmociones naturales.
Esa carne es heredera, es una consumación
Devotamente deseable.

Even with Google Translate, it sounds even more delightful in Spanish.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 01:41 AM   #62
Dave Rogers

To understand it fully, you have to read it in the original Klingon.

maH ghojmoHwI'pu'na', 'e', 'AY', ghaH be; Hegh maH 'ej 'e' pagh qup lugh. tera' mej, nuqDaq wIja''a'? nuq moj maH? Dunmo' pagh Qugh, 'ach? ghaH maH joq Qo' maH? 'e' mu'tlheghvam, jIvlaw' yInmey; reH pagh not; Hoch pagh pagh: vo' vImughta' yIn maH reH joq Hoch qabna'Daj 'oH Hutlh chegh. toH worth pagh umqu' ghot.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 14th August 2019, 02:27 AM   #63
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by winter salt View Post
Ricardo,

Go to hell.
Well, that escalated quickly.

Give him time. I'm sure he'll have some solid evidence that no one's ever brought up before.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:12 AM   #64
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Well, that escalated quickly.

Give him time. I'm sure he'll have some solid evidence that no one's ever brought up before.
There is a vast literature on the subject! but it is not official science. Official science and its scientific method have their limitations, not forgetting the politicization of science. The revelation of this truth can harm many interests.
Old 14th August 2019, 04:21 AM   #65
Dave Rogers

There is a vast literature on the subject! but it is not official science. Official science and its scientific method have their limitations, not forgetting the politicization of science. The revelation of this truth can harm many interests.
I think that scores 40 points.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 14th August 2019, 04:38 AM   #66
Belz...
Fiend God

I can't help but notice that you haven't responded to my request for evidence.

You do have some of that, don't you? I'm not asking for double-blind studies, here. Just some solid evidence that can't be easily explained away with the science we do know. And I don't mean "unknown stuff". I mean actual observations or arguments.

Your move.

Old 14th August 2019, 04:50 AM   #67
dann
Philosopher

Leaving Earth, where are we going?

The ones who leave Earth are a very small minority, but they seem to have four options when choosing their destination: MEMORIAL SPACEFLIGHT EXPERIENCES
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 14th August 2019 at 04:59 AM.
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 04:58 AM   #68
dann
Philosopher

Just to note: the point of the Shakespeare quote is whether one should commit suicide.

Since November 2018 we no longer have to suffer the Slings and Arrows, so I see no reason to do so.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 05:45 AM   #69
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

I can't help but notice that you haven't responded to my request for evidence.

You do have some of that, don't you? I'm not asking for double-blind studies, here. Just some solid evidence that can't be easily explained away with the science we do know. And I don't mean "unknown stuff". I mean actual observations or arguments.

Your move.
Do you want evidence? contact the people on this ! search on KAI MUEGGE
Old 14th August 2019, 05:47 AM   #70
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Would the evidence you want come from the scientific community?
Old 14th August 2019, 05:49 AM   #71
Belz...
Fiend God

Would the evidence you want come from the scientific community?
I've already answered this. No, I want it to come from you. What are you waiting for?

Seems to me like you know you have no evidence whatsoever. None that'll convince someone who isn't already in your cult, that is.

Old 14th August 2019, 05:52 AM   #72
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by science.howstuffworks.com
Limitations of the Scientific Method
Clearly, the scientific method is a powerful tool, but it does have its limitations. These limitations are based on the fact that a hypothesis must be testable and falsifiable and that experiments and observations be repeatable. This places certain topics beyond the reach of the scientific method. Science cannot prove or refute the existence of God or any other supernatural entity. Sometimes, scientific principles are used to try to lend credibility to certain nonscientific ideas
https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/scientific-experiments/scientific-method10.htm

Edited by jsfisher:  Edited add citation for compliance with Rule 4 of the Membership Agreement.

Last edited by jsfisher; 17th August 2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:55 AM   #73
Belz...
Fiend God

Irrelevant. I'm not asking you for scientific proof, as I've already told you twice. Any good demonstration, argument or observation that cannot be explained with known physics or that doesn't rely on ignorance will do.

Quote:
Science cannot prove or refute the existence of God or any other supernatural entity.
Which puts us in a difficult position. If there cannot be objective evidence for supernatural entities, which I would generally agree is true, how do you intend to prove that one exists?

Old 14th August 2019, 05:58 AM   #74
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

I've already answered this. No, I want it to come from you. What are you waiting for?

Seems to me like you know you have no evidence whatsoever. None that'll convince someone who isn't already in your cult, that is.
I am not a researcher! Do you want evidence? Contact researchers! here is the site https://issmpi.org/about/team/
Old 14th August 2019, 05:59 AM   #75
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Clearly, the scientific method is a powerful tool, but it does have its limitations. These limitations are based on the fact that a hypothesis must be testable and falsifiable and that experiments and observations be repeatable. This places certain topics beyond the reach of the scientific method. Science cannot prove or refute the existence of God or any other supernatural entity. Sometimes, scientific principles are used to try to lend credibility to certain nonscientific ideas
This is why no one can prove I am not the God or a god.

I encourage skeptics to disbelieve in me because it's just so darn cute.
Old 14th August 2019, 06:01 AM   #76
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

For the goddamn last time "I'm butthurt that at some stage science stops telling me what I want to hear" is not a "limitation of the scientific method."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:04 AM   #77
Belz...
Fiend God

I am not a researcher!
I didn't ask you for research. This is the fourth time that I tell you that I don't require scientific evidence from you.

You're stalling. You have only faith, no evidence, and you know that any attempt by you to provide evidence would reveal this. So stop pretending that there's actual research that proves your faith. Just take it as faith, and leave the rest of us who don't operate on childish belief in magic to our own.

Old 14th August 2019, 06:07 AM   #78
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
This is why no one can prove I am not the God or a god.

I encourage skeptics to disbelieve in me because it's just so darn cute.
https://issmpi.org/ contact these researchers ... I'm not a researcher!
Old 14th August 2019, 06:07 AM   #79
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You're not a lot of things.
Old 14th August 2019, 06:09 AM   #80
Belz...
Fiend God

You keep saying that. Do you or do you not have a good reason to believe in God?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy