ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jeffrey Epstein , sex offenders , sex trafficking

Old 12th August 2019, 01:36 AM   #441
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Do the words "ponzi scheme" mean anything to you?
he seems to have gone from math teacher to options trader to partner in a bank to hedgefund manager to probably spy and then some.

Epstein was obviously much more than a scammer and blackmailer.
He must have been very, very intelligent. Note he also provided services like recovering huge amounts of money from fraudulent investments and helped rich people park their money in tax havens.

This guy taught math at an elite prep school, contacted the very prominent parents their and impressed them (well, Greenspan) so much they gave him a job as an options trader.

If anything, he must have had incredible people skills and the ability to learn to trade with very complex financial products, law and particularly tax law.

as for blackmail:

The island thing seems perfect for that. The ideal setting to get people to act in ways they would never do in their own surroundings. a combination of feeling isolated from normal society on 'orgy island', away from the law and eyes of colleagues, family, press and community. The perfect spot to let go.

Then later, you're not so sure about how private that all was. And reviewing the facts, you really would not like these things to become public. Too much alcohol, you had not done any coke since college. That girl might have been a bit too young now that you've sobered up and what if that Epstein dude has cameras on that island?

And then your secretary calls. Mister Epstein is on the line and he wants to know if you're interested in investing in his hedge fund.
Old 12th August 2019, 01:38 AM   #442
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Epstein using the underage prostitutes for blackmail doesn't make sense, because it's either a two-headed snake or a wolf with no teeth, depending on how you look at it. Epstein couldn't expose anyone without taking himself down at the same time. He was not in a position to blackmail anyone.
Imagine you're Prince Andrew and someone leaks explicit photos of you shagging a seventeen-year-old.

I don't think exclaiming 'But Jeffery does that all the time, and he said it was OK!' is going to be a winning PR move.
Old 12th August 2019, 02:04 AM   #443
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Imagine you're Prince Andrew and someone leaks explicit photos of you shagging a seventeen-year-old.
No big deal - the age of consent in UK is 16, so it's only stupid Americans would care about it.

It's the 13/14 year olds Andy's worried about.
Old 12th August 2019, 02:42 AM   #444
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I don't think exclaiming 'But Jeffery does that all the time, and he said it was OK!' is going to be a winning PR move.
It doesn't have to be; "this photo was taken at Epstein's estate and the girl was provided by him" puts Epstein in prison, is the only point I'm making. MAD.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:13 AM   #445
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
One explanation, of many possible with no regard to probability, is that power of attorney was a blackmail payment.
I'd' find it far more likely that he was a con artist and/or was a lover of Leslie Wexner and that's how he came to effectively have control of all his personal finances in what can only be considered a highly informal and irregular arrangement.
Old 12th August 2019, 03:27 AM   #446
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I'd' find it far more likely that he was a con artist and/or was a lover of Leslie Wexner and that's how he came to effectively have control of all his personal finances in what can only be considered a highly informal and irregular arrangement.
It seems out of character for a billionaire business owner to give free rein over his affairs to another person, even a spouse.

I think Epstein also acquired his enormous house in NY for a symbolic amount from Wexner.

Quote:
For reasons that have never been explained, Wexner appears to have made a gift of the house to Epstein, transferring title for the cost of $0 around 1996. The New York Times reports the property was formally transferred in 2011 from a trust controlled by Wexner and Epstein to a Virgin Islands-based entity controlled by Epstein; Wexner, meanwhile, told the Times through a spokeswoman that he "severed ties" with Epstein a decade ago.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...per-east-side/

Last edited by Eddie Dane; 12th August 2019 at 03:30 AM.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 04:02 AM   #447
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Epstein using the underage prostitutes for blackmail doesn't make sense, because it's either a two-headed snake or a wolf with no teeth, depending on how you look at it. Epstein couldn't expose anyone without taking himself down at the same time. He was not in a position to blackmail anyone.
If he had incriminating pictures or videos, the threat may be to send those anonymously to employers, families, spouses or law enforcement.

Sure, the target could have turned around and named Epstein, but he likely could have assured they had no hard evidence backing that accusation. Sure he may technically have been at risk, but I think in that situation their level of risk looks a lot higher than his.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:01 AM   #448
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'd' find it far more likely
Please don't ignore where I wrote

Quote:
of many possible with no regard to probability
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:04 AM   #449
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Let's turn too far into the skid and start forgetting that people would occasionally met with Epstein for reason that weren't child pimping.

I'm sure the Tribes will be digging through the AP Photos for the next century trying to find every picture of someone from the other side shaking hands with Epstein at a dinner or whatever to wave about, but there's more then enough actual people with actual plausible connections to his actions to worry about.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:11 AM   #450
Drewbot
Philosopher

The prison guards are now in his will?

That is why it took 2 weeks from the time of the last attempt.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:59 AM   #451
Arcade22
Philosopher

It seems out of character for a billionaire business owner to give free rein over his affairs to another person, even a spouse.

I think Epstein also acquired his enormous house in NY for a symbolic amount from Wexner.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...per-east-side/
He wasn't just strictly his "personal money manager" either:

Quote:
From the outset, Mr. Epstein’s role extended far beyond that of a traditional money manager. In the late 1980s, Mr. Wexner started building Limitless, a 316-foot yacht. Mr. Epstein managed its construction and design, said Craig Tafoya, who captained Mr. Wexner’s ships for 15 years.

In meetings with shipbuilders in London, Mr. Tafoya said, Mr. Epstein dove into details about the yacht and cast himself as a tough negotiator. “He didn’t take B.S. from anybody,” Mr. Tafoya said, adding that Mr. Epstein didn’t spend much time on the yacht because he “could look at a glass of water and get seasick.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/b...as-secret.html

Edit:

Quote:
In a letter last week to his family foundation, Mr. Wexner, 81, accused Mr. Epstein of having misappropriated “vast sums.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/b...as-secret.html

Last edited by Arcade22; 12th August 2019 at 06:04 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 06:09 AM   #452
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

As a side note: I wonder if Victoria's Secret (owned by Wexner) brand will be affected by this involuntary co-branding with a notorious sexual exploiter of young women.
Old 12th August 2019, 06:10 AM   #453
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
but there's more then enough actual people with actual plausible connections to his actions to worry about.
Specifically?
Old 12th August 2019, 09:35 AM   #454
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

It doesn't happen.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 10:06 AM   #455
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
A lot of people including scientists, diplomats and their staff went to Epstein's island. I'd bet most if it was purely business and he kept it under wraps more than people think.
If he was not a complete idiot, of course he was keeping it under wraps. I know a fair number of people seem to think that pedophilia is rampant among the rich and powerful, and that any of them would leap at the opportunity to share Epstein's "massage" girls, the reality is that any time he offered to share, he was taking a risk of exposure.

Personally, had Epstein's activities involved adult women, I wouldn't give a **** about it. Yes, he might have been violating prostitution laws, but, I'm of the opinion that as long as consenting adults are involved, it's nobody's business but their own. However, given the age of the girls, he deserved to never see the light of day again.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 06:58 PM   #456
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Personally, had Epstein's activities involved adult women, I wouldn't give a **** about it. Yes, he might have been violating prostitution laws, but, I'm of the opinion that as long as consenting adults are involved, it's nobody's business but their own. However, given the age of the girls, he deserved to never see the light of day again.
Interesting. Don't agree at all, especially depending on how you define an adult woman. Legal 18 year old American? Epstein picks her up and she's trapped there, forced to do things to his powerful buddies she never signed up for? I think that's extremely serious.

Personally I don't believe anyone should not see the light of day unless they've actually killed someone, and even then, I think it's too Medieval-y radical.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:15 AM   #457
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Far out

It is either extremely dodgy or the mother load of all badly run prisons

I didn't even think you could hang yourself with the sheets they use these days

Maybe he bribed himself a fancy silk one

Forgive me if already posted

https://nypost.com/2019/08/12/jeffre...dsheet-source/

Quote:
Jeffrey Epstein hanged himself with prison bedsheet: source

Jeffrey Epstein was found hanging in his lower Manhattan jail cell with a bedsheet wrapped around his neck and secured to the top of a bunk bed, The Post has learned.

The convicted pedophile, who was 6 feet tall, apparently killed himself by kneeling toward the floor and strangling himself with the makeshift noose, law enforcement sources said Monday. He hadn’t been checked on for several hours, sources said.

Epstein was “unresponsive” when he was discovered in his cell at the Special Housing Unit of the Metropolitan Correctional Center at around 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, the federal Bureau of Prisons has said.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 4.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todays Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by zooterkin; 14th August 2019 at 01:46 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 04:58 AM   #458
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Far out

I follow some defense attorney Twitter and it might be uniquely bad. They are sharing stories of clients who have been to multiple facilities and we're begging to go back to Rikers rather than stay at MCC and reports from 2018 of just how bad the staffing shortages were.

The American jail system might be a travesty.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 05:05 AM   #459
dann
Philosopher

Could it be that Epstein was afraid of adult women - if they weren't employed by him as procurers?
Susan Astani is married to Danish multimillionaire Christian Kjr, who had a meeting with Epstein, who wanted to buy his Caribbean island:

Quote:
But he was very annoyed that Astani would be at the meeting.
"He didn't even look at me. He just said that it was a serious meeting - between men," says Susan Astani, who describes Jeffrey Epstein as an odd character.
But Christian Kjr did not agree that Astani couldn't be at the meeting. He made it clear to Epstein that his wife would have to participate if he hoped to buy the island.
Jeffrey Epstein was very keen to buy the island from Christian Kjr since he already owned the neighboring island Little St. James and hoped to build a bridge between the two paradise islands, which are a part of the Virgin Islands.
Kjr insisted that his wife attended the meeting, which didn't make the atmosphere between Astani and Epstein any better.
"At no time did I have eye contact with him. It was as if he and Christian were the only two people in the room," she says and states:
"I got the clear impression of him that he was a male chauvinist."
Susan Astani had an unpleasant experience with deceased multimillionaire (BT, Aug. 12, 2019)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 05:13 AM   #460
Drewbot
Philosopher

"MALE CHAUVINIST"

Really? Male Chauvinist? This guy was an Epstein-Chauvinist.

He really loved himself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9030411.html

Quote:
Jeffrey Epstein for years hoped to seed the human race with his DNA by impregnating women at his ranch in New Mexico, according to a new report that also detailed his apparent interest in having his head and penis frozen when he died.
He was either completely broken down, to be able to kill himself... or... (Insert conspiracty theory here)
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:17 AM   #461
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Far out

I didn't even think you could hang yourself with the sheets they use these days
Well i guess we should defer to your no doubt extensive experience with prison bed-sheets.
Old 13th August 2019, 07:45 AM   #462
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The DailyFail has published footage of a raid on Epstein's Island taking place yesterday. Pretty sure there isn't much left to find, because someone has been posting drone footage of the Island since early July, and inbetween stuff went missing like the computer equipment seen on the thumbnail of this video and disappeared on a later one. Room also shown in video apparently filmed by the drone yesterday during the raid..

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 13th August 2019 at 07:51 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:52 AM   #463
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I love how the news is now almost universally referring to it as "Pedophile Island."

I like to think that was its name on like navigation charts for years and nobody questioned it. Or that was always the name and that's why Epstein bought it.

"Okay after you leave the harbor you take a sharp left at Pedophile Island..."
"Wait... take a sharp left where?"
"Pedophile Island. That's what the map says."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:59 AM   #464
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I love how the news is now almost universally referring to it as "Pedophile Island."

I like to think that was its name on like navigation charts for years and nobody questioned it. Or that was always the name and that's why Epstein bought it.

As the story goes that's indeed the name locals have given it. Wikipedia has sources.
Old 13th August 2019, 08:08 AM   #465
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
As the story goes that's indeed the name locals have given it. Wikipedia has sources.
It was in the Virgin Islands.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 09:36 AM   #466
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
The DailyFail has published footage of a raid on Epstein's Island taking place yesterday. Pretty sure there isn't much left to find, because someone has been posting drone footage of the Island since early July, and inbetween stuff went missing like the computer equipment seen on the thumbnail of this video and disappeared on a later one. Room also shown in video apparently filmed by the drone yesterday during the raid..
I'm a bit shocked at how ugly the house is.

It looks like the kind of discount villa you get in the not-so-popular parts of Spain.

Was he timesharing?
Old 13th August 2019, 10:33 AM   #467
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

It looks like the kind of discount villa you get in the not-so-popular parts of Spain.

Was he timesharing?
He might have been a rich mo-fo but he was a gauche rich mo-fo.
Old 13th August 2019, 10:41 AM   #468
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
"MALE CHAUVINIST"

Really? Male Chauvinist? This guy was an Epstein-Chauvinist.

He really loved himself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9030411.html

He was either completely broken down, to be able to kill himself... or... (Insert conspiracty theory here)
Ya think? He really seemed to think he was just so damned fantastic as to be practically untouchable. He's got to be the embodiment of the saying "(false) pride comes before a fall."
Old 13th August 2019, 10:50 AM   #469
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Could it be that Epstein was afraid of adult women - if they weren't employed by him as procurers?
Susan Astani is married to Danish multimillionaire Christian Kjr, who had a meeting with Epstein, who wanted to buy his Caribbean island:
You seem to be ignoring the fact that many, if not the majority, of the women employed by Epstein were actually adults, even if they were relatively young.

More importantly, this NYT article shows that he had no actual problems with contacting or socializing with adult women.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/b...interview.html

If anything it only raises my suspicion that he tended to act like a fraudster by inflating his credentials and whom he associated with, sharing photos of him with notable people and disclosing tidbits of information about his alleged "unofficial influence", while at the same time refusing to state any concrete examples of what he actually did.

I get a strong impression that he wanted her to write about him, perhaps even a book, and sought to raise her interest by name dropping famous people. He himself might have been the one who put out the rumor that he was "advising" Elon Musk.

Last edited by Arcade22; 13th August 2019 at 10:54 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:06 AM   #470
Joe Random
Master Poster

"Don't worry, they played fast and loose with the name. It's more of an archipelago than an island."
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 12:08 PM   #471
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm still waiting for another run-in from one of our Master Pedants about how Epstein wasn't technically a pedophile and that DISTINCTION IS VERY IMPORTANT AND WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW.
Old 13th August 2019, 12:28 PM   #472
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm still waiting for another run-in from one of our Master Pedants about how Epstein wasn't technically a pedophile and that DISTINCTION IS VERY IMPORTANT AND WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW.
JoeRandom just cut that off at the knees rather well, I thought.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 12:52 PM   #473
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I get a strong impression that he wanted her to write about him, perhaps even a book, and sought to raise her interest by name dropping famous people. He himself might have been the one who put out the rumor that he was "advising" Elon Musk.
Well i guess we should defer to your no doubt extensive experience with name dropping and exaggerating your importance.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todays Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:32 PM   #474
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Warden at prison where Epstein died is temporarily reassigned and multiple staffers placed on leave

Quote:
Washington (CNN)The top official at the New York prison that had housed Jeffrey Epstein before his apparent suicide is being moved temporarily as the FBI and the Justice Department's inspector general investigate the circumstances of the death.

Two employees at the Metropolitan Correctional Center who had been assigned to Epstein's unit are also being placed on administrative leave, Justice Department spokeswoman Kerri Kupec said, adding that "additional actions may be taken as the circumstances warrant."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/13/polit...den/index.html
Old 13th August 2019, 01:50 PM   #475
wasapi
Philosopher

Was he timesharing?
Money can't buy class.
Old 13th August 2019, 04:09 PM   #476
angrysoba
Philosophile

Technically not paedophile island doesnt have the same ring to it.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 08:23 PM   #477
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It was in the Virgin Islands.
There's a joke in there someplace.

Last edited by Mike!; 13th August 2019 at 08:28 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:06 PM   #478
dann
Philosopher

You seem to be ignoring the fact that many, if not the majority, of the women employed by Epstein were actually adults, even if they were relatively young.

No, I don't! On the contrary, I mentioned it explicitly and you quoted it:

Originally Posted by dann View Post
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 11:27 PM   #479
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Money can't buy class.

Money is class. It's all there is to it.
That money can't buy class is a myth meant to perpetuate the idea that true upper class means that you're very refined and distinguished, i.e. that you have class.
Classism at its worst.
At the other end of the scale, in my language, we find the word fattigfin, a combination of the two words poor (fattig) and refined (fin), meaning that somebody pretends to be refined, but they can't possibly be so, not really, since they are poor and so can't be members of the refined upper classes.
Money just enables ******** to become even bigger ********, mingle with their peers and take advantage of poor people on a much larger scale. If you can impress people with your own airplane or yacht, you don't need a luxurious mansion for you and your friends to **** little girls.

Last edited by dann; 13th August 2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 13th August 2019, 11:28 PM   #480
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Me too. Everyone seems convinced that Hillary had him whacked because we all know arranging a prison assassination of the most high profile prisoner in the nation is way easy for someone that successfully rigged a presidential election.
It's been reported that one of the prison guards was named Travis Bickle.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events