ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers , Mike Hughes

Old 25th March 2018, 10:40 AM   #121
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
What part of "FLAT Earth" don't you get? There's no such thing as mountains ether.
Then what, may I ask, is light waving to if there is no mountains ether?!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2018, 03:55 PM   #122
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
In broad principle we ought to applaud this. This is the very essence of science. You don't have to take anyone's word for it; you can do the experiment yourself.

On the other hand, the 'experiment' he's designing is ludicrous, massively more dangerous and expensive than it needs to be and is just going to get him killed.
You will not mind, I trust, if I look forward to his imminent demise due to stupidity and ignorance. The deserved end of those who trust themselves over real science/scientists (including flat earthers, Shaverites, Mu and Atlantisians, antivaxxers, peach pit or coffee enemas cancer fixers, loose changers and the rest of that ilk, etc., etc, ad inf......................................)!!!!!!!! !
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2018, 03:59 PM   #123
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by skbuncks View Post
He doesn't believe in science:

Quite where he thinks the formulae come from is anyone's guess... fairies maybe.
Needs to work on them landings too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3feaiPcv6yE
Pretty sure they are pulled brown and odiferous from someone's rectum.
(Adjustments in the quoted part by me)
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2018, 04:01 PM   #124
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
It's all very well getting to 1800 feet, But how is he going to get down again?
I know, I know!!! Call on me!!!!
Old 26th March 2018, 04:03 PM   #125
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Why not just drive to Denver, or hike up the nearest mountain, or maybe even visit the top of the new World Trade Center building? Or any of the many very tall buildings available world wide?

There are far less risky ways to look at the Earth from a high point other than a home made rocket.
Don't help him!!! I want to see how this plays out!!!!!
Old 27th March 2018, 02:14 AM   #126
Octavo
Illuminator

I can propel myself 1,875 feet up by climbing a hill.
Obvious shill for NASA cover-up is obvious. Everyone with any brains already knows that hills and mountains are a conspiracy concocted by NASA and the illuminati to fool you into thinking.

Yes, I meant to end that sentence there.
Old 28th March 2018, 01:51 AM   #127
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Obvious shill for NASA cover-up is obvious. Everyone with any brains already knows that hills and mountains are a conspiracy concocted by NASA and the illuminati to fool you into thinking.

Yes, I meant to end that sentence there.
And 'shill' is an anagram of 'hills'.
The fiends! See how they mock the human cattle!
Old 28th March 2018, 09:13 AM   #128
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
It's all very well getting to 1800 feet, But how is he going to get down again?
Getting down is not a problem. Doing so in a manner that leaves him alive and functional (well, at least as functional as he was before) is a bit more difficult.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 10:16 AM   #129
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Getting down is not a problem. Doing so in a manner that leaves him alive and functional (well, at least as functional as he was before) is a bit more difficult.
I fear I am far from any concern about his condition in landing - though I trust he will die happy knowing he, at least, is flat from the trip ending crash!!!!!!!
Old 28th March 2018, 10:43 AM   #130
CORed
Philosopher

I saw a headline recently describing this guy as a "self-taught rocket scientist". I don't know if he describes himself as a "rocket scientist" but it still leaves me at a loss for a term for someone of exceptional intelligence. First Ben Carson forever destroys the notion that brain surgeons are geniuses, now this guy does it for rocket scientists. Maybe the last is unfair, as he is no more a rocket scientist than I am a brain surgeon.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2018, 06:36 PM   #131
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Here is a post in the *other* thread about this, showing two videos of his flight a few days ago, plus a question that I posed....

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post12234183
Old 9th August 2019, 05:08 PM   #132
Nowhere Man
Critical Thinker

He's at it again, this time shooting for 5000 feet.

https://www.space.com/amp/flat-earth...19-launch.html

Fred

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684
Nowhere Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:49 AM   #133
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Mad Flat-Earther to Launch Himself 5,000 Feet Up on a Homemade Steam Rocket

To infinity and Beyond

Update for Aug. 12: Mad Mike Hughes and his team are now targeting a launch today (Aug. 12) at 1 p.m. EDT for his steam powered rocket after a 24 hour delay.

Mad Mike Hughes — a flat-Earther, rocket builder and daredevil who previously launched himself 1,875 feet (572 meters) into the air on a homemade rocket — will attempt to launch himself again to a much higher altitude this Sunday (Aug. 11). The attempt will be filmed by the Science Channel for the upcoming new series Homemade Astronauts.

https://www.space.com/flat-earther-m...19-launch.html
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:23 PM   #134
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Today:

Quote:
Update for Aug. 12: "Mad" Mike Hughes and his team are now targeting a launch for this upcoming Saturday (Aug. 17) after an issue with the steam-powered rocket's heater arose Aug. 12.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 12:29 PM   #135
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Did someone forget to plug the kettle in?
Old 12th August 2019, 12:35 PM   #136
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

They need a longer extension cord.

gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:00 PM   #137
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
They need a longer extension cord.
Are you sure it is not a bigger boat?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:28 PM   #138
Thor 2
Philosopher

I think I must be missing something here.

What has all this to do with proving the Earth is flat?
Old 12th August 2019, 02:35 PM   #139
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I imagine two scenes being recreated here:

#1 at the zenith, from Contact "Oh! It's so beautiful!"

and #2 on the way back, from Hitchhiker's Guide, "What's this big, friendly-looking thing rushing towards me? Oh! Hello 'Ground'!"
Old 12th August 2019, 03:13 PM   #140
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I think I must be missing something here.

What has all this to do with proving the Earth is flat?
Well, if he gets high enough he'll be able to see the flatness of the earth with his own eyes. Something like that.

The fact that he could fly higher already using any number of aircraft, or fly a balloon carrying a camera even higher, should not distract flat-earthers with more money than sense from continuing to donate funding for his crackpot hobby.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:19 PM   #141
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

It's he what may end up flat.

Old 12th August 2019, 03:49 PM   #142
Thor 2
Philosopher

Well, if he gets high enough he'll be able to see the flatness of the earth with his own eyes. Something like that.

The fact that he could fly higher already using any number of aircraft, or fly a balloon carrying a camera even higher, should not distract flat-earthers with more money than sense from continuing to donate funding for his crackpot hobby.

Well yes, that's what I thought. Apart from flying in commercial aircraft I have been higher than 5000 ft in a glider, flying solo with all round vision. Wonderful experience and the curvature of the earth plain to see.
Old 12th August 2019, 04:53 PM   #143
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Well yes, that's what I thought. Apart from flying in commercial aircraft I have been higher than 5000 ft in a glider, flying solo with all round vision. Wonderful experience and the curvature of the earth plain to see.
I think there may be an earlier thread on his original flight and this may have come up; I am not sure. But yes, why doesn't he just take a chartered Cessna flight up to 10,000 ft, or a commercial flight to 36,000 ft? Can he possibly believe a conspiracy includes streaming fake videos to the airplane windows in all these cases?

I suspect he figured out a way of ripping off Flat Earth believers to pay for his desire to build and fly a personal rocket.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:48 PM   #144
welshdean
Rugby World Cup
   CHAMPIONS

Don't the flatties subscribe to some CT that the airlines are in on the spherical earth hoax and trick the passengers into seeing that the earth ain't flat? Or something ...
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 06:52 PM   #145
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I may be mistaken but we had a flattie here who promoted the idea, probably popular in their tree fort, that if you launched a rocket straight up and it came right back down, to the same spot it would prove that the earth hadn't moved for the duration. Or something like that.

And the poster had a friend who knew a guy who was being silenced because he worked for IATA or ICAO and had the proof.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 06:56 PM   #146
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Don't the flatties subscribe to some CT that the airlines are in on the spherical earth hoax and trick the passengers into seeing that the earth ain't flat? Or something ...
I have read assertions that the windows on airliners are specially ground to create the illusion of curvature when at altitude. Just how the optics of this would work, and why you can not see any distortion on the ground is not clear.

It also assumes that all the aircraft maintenance people are in on the conspiracy.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:52 PM   #147
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You can't hardly detect the curvature of the Earth even at 35,000 feet. And even then you require a very wide view. You absolutely cannot at 5,000. feet.

https://www.quora.com/At-what-altitu...e-of-the-Earth
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 07:55 PM   #148
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Over-complicating things, as usual. He's a nutcase.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 08:11 PM   #149
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Previous thread:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=325003

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 05:03 AM   #150
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Merge
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 12:47 PM   #151
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
He's at it again, this time shooting for 5000 feet.

https://www.space.com/amp/flat-earth...19-launch.html

Fred
He'd better be careful. If he keeps increasing by a factor of five, his next flight will be high enough that he will need oxygen. Still lower than a commercial airline flight though. I would guess that he could buy a ticket for a lot less money than it's costing him to build his rockets.

ETA: quote from our "rocket scientist from the article linked in the quote:
Quote:
Hughes will lift off aboard a refurbished, improved version of the steam-powered rocket he launched last year. He told Space.com that he's using steam to propel his rocket because it is both inexpensive and relatively simple. "There's no fuel cost; it's water," he said. "Homemade Astronauts," which is set to premiere in 2020, showcases civilians who endeavor to build and launch rockets and equipment for spaceflight.
No fuel cost? I wonder how he' getting that water hot enough to turn into steam.

Last edited by CORed; 13th August 2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 13th August 2019, 04:51 PM   #152
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
He'd better be careful. If he keeps increasing by a factor of five, his next flight will be high enough that he will need oxygen. Still lower than a commercial airline flight though. I would guess that he could buy a ticket for a lot less money than it's costing him to build his rockets.

ETA: quote from our "rocket scientist from the article linked in the quote:

No fuel cost? I wonder how he' getting that water hot enough to turn into steam.

Someone always has to muddle up the wooly thinking with facts. I wouldn't expect to much analytical thinking from this rocket man.
Old 13th August 2019, 05:03 PM   #153
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Someone always has to muddle up the wooly thinking with facts. I wouldn't expect to much analytical thinking from this rocket man.
All the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week...
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 07:03 PM   #154
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Merge
Already requested, but there's a backlog of reports.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 05:13 AM   #155
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I think there may be an earlier thread on his original flight and this may have come up; I am not sure. But yes, why doesn't he just take a chartered Cessna flight up to 10,000 ft, or a commercial flight to 36,000 ft? Can he possibly believe a conspiracy includes streaming fake videos to the airplane windows in all these cases?

I suspect he figured out a way of ripping off Flat Earth believers to pay for his desire to build and fly a personal rocket.
He's a daredevil. He wants to build rockets and launch himself into the air again and again for as long as he can. He may be a genuine Flat Earther, but his main goal is launch himself in rockets. I suspect you're right and the Flat Earther line was a ruse to get them to fund a rocket or two.
Old 14th August 2019, 05:20 AM   #156
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You can't hardly detect the curvature of the Earth even at 35,000 feet. And even then you require a very wide view. You absolutely cannot at 5,000. feet.

https://www.quora.com/At-what-altitu...e-of-the-Earth
Did you mean "can"? Because I had the distinct impression that I did at 40,000+ feet.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:07 AM   #157
Drewbot
Philosopher

Iron Maiden wrote about him.

Quote:
His eyes seem so glazed
As he flies on the wings of a dream,
Now he knows his father betrayed
Now his wings turn to ashes to ashes his grave.

Fly, on your way, like an eagle,

Fly as high as the sun
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 06:10 AM   #158
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Listen if this guy can get a bunch of idiots to pay for his thrill seeking vacation, more power to him.

Hey any Flat Earthers that are listening. I'll help you prove the Earth is flat. I'll just need a lot of Cuban Cigars, Single Malt Scotch, and rare signed first edition horror and sci-fi books. Send cash, check, credit card (the actual cards not your credit card info), bitcoins, or precious metals to this address...
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 07:27 AM   #159
rockysmith76
Scholar

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Then what, may I ask, is light waving to if there is no mountains ether?!
Its not like its round.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2019, 07:29 AM   #160
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

A secret is something only one person knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-busiest-airports-in-the-world-share.jpg (113.2 KB, 19 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal