ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th April 2016, 09:25 AM   #1
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Flyboard Air - An actual "hoverboard" Is it real? / 4 reasons why Flyboard is a hoax

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

https://www.facebook.com/mastersofdi...4097971536796/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-te...-reveal-video/

Interview here
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 09:38 AM   #2
wareyin
Philosopher

Doesn't look real. This appears to be a guy dangling from a helicopter with the lines edited out. In the real world, that much mass on top of the board would cause a high center of gravity, making it very tippy.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 09:50 AM   #3
CJW
Muse

plus the camera never gives you a good look above the guy when he's in the air.
Old 27th April 2016, 09:54 AM   #4
3point14
Pi

Where on earth is it storing enough energy to do that?

(It's not, would be my guess)

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 09:56 AM   #5
wareyin
Philosopher

Here is a different one, with a much wider base. Even with a wider, more stable base, notice how hard it is to balance on. Yet, the Flyboard Air operator never wobbles, even on "test one".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Jrrarglblarg

A random RC turbine engine:

http://www.jetcatusa.com/rc-turbines...tails/p200-sx/

52 lbs thrust
~14" long
24.5 fluid oz per minute fuel consumption at full power

4 of these would provide 200# thrust and consume a thousand fluid ounces of diesel in a ten minute run. That's ~8 gallons, for a fuel weight of 60 pounds.

So, I dunno if the filmed object is real, but it seems unquestioned rejection is, as usual, as unhelpfully unskeptical as unquestioned acceptance.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 10:14 AM   #7
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Here is a different one, with a much wider base. Even with a wider, more stable base, notice how hard it is to balance on. Yet, the Flyboard Air operator never wobbles, even on "test one".

I AGREE
In one segment, about 1:00 in, it seems to me the vehicle and rider might be describing an arc from a long radius above him. Also, the rider is wearing a fall protection harness. In terms of flight testing, it would be reasonable for the pilot of such a device to try it out while attached to a safety point above the flight area, such as a helicopter. Like rock climbing while on belay from a top rope.

Presenting a test without mentioning a safety helicopter seems more than a bit dishonest.

So questions:
Fuel consumption required for the amount of thrust and run time
Type of turbines available for this application, various sizes, fuels and capabilities

If I can quickly Google up a random turbine off the shelf that might be capable, I'd expect an inventor to be able to find a suitable engine over what has supposedly been a 4 year dev process.

I cannot reject the reality of this video out of hand. But it seems fuel volume and use of an unmentioned safety helicopter remain in question.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 10:19 AM   #8
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post

52 lbs thrust
~14" long

4 of these would provide 200# thrust and consume a thousand fluid ounces of diesel in a ten minute run. That's ~8 gallons, for a fuel weight of 60 pounds.

So, I dunno if the filmed object is real, but it seems unquestioned rejection is, as usual, as unhelpfully unskeptical as unquestioned acceptance.

Could you point me to the unquestioned rejection to which you refer?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Could you point me to the unquestioned rejection to which you refer?
Post numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5. As a start. Then all the usual pile on posts I predict coming this afternoon informing me how utterly wrong I am.

Including the ones telling me this post is wrong.
Old 27th April 2016, 10:26 AM   #10
3point14
Pi

Post numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5. As a start. Then all the usual pile on posts I predict coming this afternoon informing me how utterly wrong I am.

Post no. 4 being this from me:

Which includes a question and a guess - you can tell it's a guess cos it says 'would be my guess' at the end.

I really wouldn't define that as 'unquestioned rejection, in fact, it's not because it has a question in it and a self confessed guess.

I can post some unquestioned rejection if you like, just for comparison.

Old 27th April 2016, 10:27 AM   #11
Jrrarglblarg

Perhaps my standards of what constitute contemplative analysis of claims disconform with your own.
Old 27th April 2016, 10:29 AM   #12
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

From the interview (the last link in the OP), the fuel is coming from the tank on his back. It's Jet A1 fuel. It has four engines that produce 250hp each.

All their testing has been over water and he has fallen several times.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 10:31 AM   #13
wareyin
Philosopher

52 lbs thrust
~14" long

In the interview linked in post 1, the inventor claims 4 turbines with 250 lbs thrust each, plus 2 on the sides for stability. I think we're up to more than 8 gallons of "kerosene", and the rider isn't wearing anything capable of storing more than 2-3 liters.
Old 27th April 2016, 10:31 AM   #14
3point14
Pi

Perhaps my standards of what constitute contemplative analysis of claims disconform with your own.
Perhaps I'm just in a really bad mood. My apologies.

Old 27th April 2016, 10:33 AM   #15
wareyin
Philosopher

Post 2 is not unquestioned rejection. It states how the video appears, using technical terms like "look".

eta: Post 5 is also not unquestioned rejection, it is comparing the two hoverboards and noticing the large discrepancies.

Last edited by wareyin; 27th April 2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 27th April 2016, 10:42 AM   #16
Jrrarglblarg

Post 2 closes with a bold statement which rejects the claim of the video out of hand, without interrogating the universe to discover if it is true or could be engineered around to avoid.

Apollo hoax proponents make the same exact argument about rockets. It's solvable engineering. Have the designers actually done so? Dunno. If he is test flying with a safety cable the cable might be helping hold him upright, hiding a problem from themselves. Maybe.

I was looking for evidence of down wash on the water and there might be some but it's difficult to tell if it's just the thrust from the board.
Old 27th April 2016, 10:48 AM   #17
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
4 turbines with 250 lbs thrust each, plus 2 on the sides for stability.
Actually, he claims 250 hp. But that could be a mistake by the reporter.
Old 27th April 2016, 10:48 AM   #18
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

I actually think it's real. Why would he propose such short flight times, if it was fake ? Jetpack from 60s could do this, this doesn't look all that much smaller (including tank on the back). Also that's what's the harness for. It hold the tank on the back.

Last edited by Dr.Sid; 27th April 2016 at 10:51 AM.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2016, 10:52 AM   #19
wareyin
Philosopher

Post 2 closes with a bold statement which rejects the claim of the video out of hand, without interrogating the universe to discover if it is true or could be engineered around to avoid.

Apollo hoax proponents make the same exact argument about rockets. It's solvable engineering. Have the designers actually done so? Dunno. If he is test flying with a safety cable the cable might be helping hold him upright, hiding a problem from themselves. Maybe.

I was looking for evidence of down wash on the water and there might be some but it's difficult to tell if it's just the thrust from the board.
Without interrogating the universe? Post 2 closes with a description of the physics of the universe.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:00 AM   #20
Jrrarglblarg

Uh, no. You make a claim that by implication means a particular configuration cannot ever in any circumstances work. I counter assert that engineering of vertical thrust systems to achieve vertical stability is a real thing. Did they do so? It looks to me as if the thrusters might be canted a bit outboard rather than perfectly vertical, for instance. That is one technique.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:18 AM   #21
Jrrarglblarg

And looking at the interview posted in #1 one can read that the tubines are controlled by software, just as in quadcopters.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:20 AM   #22
Jrrarglblarg

Also the inventors are following on from their previous invention that used water pumped up to the board from a jet ski, thus would have some experience standing on a tippy thing.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:23 AM   #23
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
Actually, he claims 250 hp. But that could be a mistake by the reporter.
Whoops, my mistake. Actually, if it was 250 hp, that is much, much more powerful than the 52 lbs thrust model brought up earlier. The 52 lb thrust ones seem to be listed around 225 Newtons, which comes out to around 0.31 hp. A 250 hp turbine is going to require a lot more fuel than a 0.31 hp one, yet the pilot didn't even have enough carrying capacity for a 10 minute flight on 4-6 turbines in the 0.31 hp range.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:27 AM   #24
Jrrarglblarg

In the interview they claim a combined thousand horsepower total for the thrust engines. Not sure how they calculate that. And that's a hellacious pile of hydrocarbons. I find diesel contains 40 kWH per gallon:
http://www.convertunits.com/from/kWh...+of+diesel+oil

so ten minutes of flight time at 1000hp output should be able to lead us to a fuel capacity requirement to find out if their claims are even feasible.

I don't have time to math now, I have scenery to fix this afternoon.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:29 AM   #25
Jrrarglblarg

See how skeptical questioning can work, here? I may very well conclude by the end of the day that the device is impossible, or maybe not. But reaching Premature Certainty after watching one video ain't it.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:38 AM   #26
wareyin
Philosopher

See how skeptical questioning can work, here? I may very well conclude by the end of the day that the device is impossible, or maybe not. But reaching Premature Certainty after watching one video ain't it.
I am glad that your slow process may lead you to the same place that others have used a much faster process to reach. Being able to understand how a claim can be false more rapidly than others does not equal "Premature Certainty", however.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:41 AM   #27
Jrrarglblarg

Nor does it mean you are correct when you reach conclusions without examining the information. If a person reaches a rapid conclusion because they already know certain things, that differs from a conclusion reached by personal incredulity.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:46 AM   #28
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't know. However, it will soon become clear. If it is demonstrated before a real audience, it's real, if it is only ever shown on YouTube, it's false.

hans
Old 27th April 2016, 11:47 AM   #29
wareyin
Philosopher

Nor does it mean you are correct when you reach conclusions without examining the information. If a person reaches a rapid conclusion because they already know certain things, that differs from a conclusion reached by personal incredulity.
Indeed. When one knows certain things, once is able to more rapidly understand how these videos can be faked. When one has to "ask the universe" whether or not a video is a hoax, one may die of old age before the universe gets around to providing an answer.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:49 AM   #30
Jrrarglblarg

Have a nice day.
Old 28th April 2016, 01:48 AM   #31
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If they are burning fuel, where is the flame? I notice something underneath for a few shots but not all. That is not flame. Just some distortion in the air.

Only looked at the video in the OP.
Old 28th April 2016, 02:44 AM   #32
Tolls
Illuminator

In the interview they claim a combined thousand horsepower total for the thrust engines. Not sure how they calculate that. And that's a hellacious pile of hydrocarbons. I find diesel contains 40 kWH per gallon:
http://www.convertunits.com/from/kWh...+of+diesel+oil

so ten minutes of flight time at 1000hp output should be able to lead us to a fuel capacity requirement to find out if their claims are even feasible.

I don't have time to math now, I have scenery to fix this afternoon.
It's Jet A1, not diesel, though I couldn't tell you how much extra oomph per gallon you get from it.

The only thing that leapt out at me was when he landed. They don't actually show the landing...there's a shot of him coming down, then a close up of the bottom of the unit, and then a hop with it on the ground. It struck me as an odd way of showing this device off...not showing him actually land. Now someone'll point out this is a different vid than the one I saw last week...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 04:10 AM   #33
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
If they are burning fuel, where is the flame? I notice something underneath for a few shots but not all. That is not flame. Just some distortion in the air.

Can you see the plane on commercial airplanes ? They state it's turbine jet engine, not rocket.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 05:29 AM   #34
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It is odd they don't show the take off, or landing. You can see some heat waves coming from the bottom of the device in some shots. I have to guess it uses similar software to the Segway, and wheeled "hoverboards"... I can't say for sure, one way or the other, if it's "real" or not.

Last edited by Mike!; 28th April 2016 at 05:34 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 05:39 AM   #35
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

My first thought. I liked that they used "Shoot to Thrill" from "Iron Man 2". I have often thought that the Iron Man suit isn't crazy. If we had some imaginary source of power.
Old 28th April 2016, 05:40 AM   #36
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
It's Jet A1, not diesel, though I couldn't tell you how much extra oomph per gallon you get from it.

The only thing that leapt out at me was when he landed. They don't actually show the landing...there's a shot of him coming down, then a close up of the bottom of the unit, and then a hop with it on the ground. It struck me as an odd way of showing this device off...not showing him actually land. Now someone'll point out this is a different vid than the one I saw last week...

The differences between jet a, diesel, and cowboy lantern kerosene are mostly academic and irrelevant to this discussion.
Old 28th April 2016, 05:45 AM   #37
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

For the same reason you don't see flames coming out of a 747. Or a Honda Civic, for that matter -- visible flames are wasted energy. All combustion takes place inside the mechanism.

You can see a hot plume of exhaust coming down from the bottom of the board many times in the video.

Given that RC sized turbines exist, the motors are what concern me the least.
Old 28th April 2016, 05:57 AM   #38
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Here's an article where the inventor/developer Franky Zapata discusses it in more detail.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/15/11...oard-interview
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2016, 06:11 AM   #39
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I have to guess it uses similar software to the Segway, and wheeled "hoverboards"
Yes, the interview touches on how much work they put into the software to keep it stabilized.
Old 28th April 2016, 06:12 AM   #40
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Here's an article where the inventor/developer Franky Zapata discusses it in more detail.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/15/11...oard-interview
It's almost as if you didn't click the last link in the OP.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology