ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th June 2016, 02:08 PM   #121
macdoc
Philosopher

THIS is pretty hard to fake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUogzafUug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErMU2eczdWc

and this from theGuiness World Record site

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...-france-427011

He's learned to balance very well on a cone of thrust that has quite a large base.

I notice he needs help to get stable in the first meter...that makes sense.

This only has two jets plus the water intake which makes it more stable....4 jet motors in a cone....yeah I see no barrier to it other than how hellishly efficient are those jets.

Last edited by macdoc; 5th June 2016 at 02:17 PM.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2016, 02:24 PM   #122
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
I believe this new post in regards to new footage of a supposedly new public FLyboard Air event ( for which only video exists, no other record of it anywhere else online) deserves its own thread.
I think it should have gone in the original thread.
Old 5th June 2016, 02:26 PM   #123
esspee
black goo

Reply to Macdoc.

Yes - it is hard to fake - but not impossible.

There is even better and even more convincing footage released in the last few days.

Search youtube for the following 2 videos - "Zapata Racing - Another day on the Flyboard Air"
and
"Franky Zapata on his Flyboard Air in Monaco during the Formula 1 2016"

The latter is a public event in front of a crowd.

However - there is no mention of the event or this occurrence anywhere on line outside of this and one other very grainy low res video.

I have looked everywhere.

This thread is really about the video in the OP and the inconsistancies it draws attention to.
(The video can be found by searching youtube for "4 reasons why the FLYBOARD AIR is a HOAX ")
namely.

- There is a HUGE lack of third part independent footage of any kind.

- Low video resolutions - something which is unlikely in this day and age.

I am focusing on what does NOT seem legit about this Flyboard Air, in order to get to teh bottom of it.

And for me that is, despite two seemingly large public events - almost no third party footage of any kind. ANd that which does exist is of low resolution. Which is rare these days, but handy if you have some kind of masking to do on a video to cover something fishy up.

I believe time will prove me correct. As such a hoax as this can not be kept secret forever. ( or if i am wrong - which i do not think i am, it will prove me wrong and I will eat humble pie)

p.s. hovring on a platform dragging a huge heavy tail filled with water is hard, but much easier than with nothing as claimed by this new invention

Last edited by esspee; 5th June 2016 at 02:46 PM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2016, 02:49 PM   #124
macdoc
Philosopher

Are you really questioning the Guiness footage???? it's on their website FFS

He's good at this....move on.
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2016, 02:54 PM   #125
esspee
black goo

IN reply to Macdoc.

I am questioning the lack of third party footage from two public events.

And also the lack of photographs of either event, other than a handful and lots of screen grabs.

The reason I started this thread seperatly was to get away from the Guiness argument.

And to focus on the inconsistencies,

As i said before, last time i posted this video i got deleted and banned from a forum for 'trolling'.

because people cannot see past a Guinness endorsement.

I wish to talk to people who are still skeptical DESPITE this endorsement.

I can assure you - I am not trolling here.

i genuinely believe this is a hoax, and I believe it will come out in time that I am correct.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2016, 03:04 PM   #126
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

because people cannot see past a Guinness endorsement.
Guinness are in on it!

Quote:
i genuinely believe this is a hoax, and I believe it will come out in time that I am correct.
I suspect you are right - your belief will not be shaken no matter what facts emerge.
Old 5th June 2016, 03:14 PM   #127
esspee
black goo

In reply to Roger Ramjets.

I want to believe it is real.

And i will welcome any proof that it is with open arms.

When i see a live event, or a public event with lots of third party footage I will admit I am wrong.

Wholeheartedly.

I will even apologise to you in this thread personally when i am proven wrong.

in the meantime, can you explain why their is no mention of the recent public demonstration of the device at the Sunset Beach Party at Hotel Le Meridien ( during the formula1 29/05/2016) anywhere on the internet, despite a video of it?.

No mention on the party organisers facebook page ( SunsetMonaco) or in any Monaco press or basically anywhere on the web of it even?

What has bothered me about this whole thing from the start about this is the lack of a credible digital trail online.

Perhaps it should bother you too.
Old 5th June 2016, 03:17 PM   #128
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Maybe it is not a hoax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LyLhmhUSwU

Watch at 40 seconds and notice the wobble. It's the sort of move I'd expect to see of a top heavy flying thing if the thrust vector changed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LyLhmhUSwU

Another vid in a different location.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFVbh-vB9sI

Last edited by Steve001; 5th June 2016 at 03:22 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2016, 03:24 PM   #129
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote:
On hand to officiate this morning’s record attempt was Guinness World Records adjudicator Sofia Greenacre (pictured below), who confirmed that the hoverboard complied with the rules of the record and had reached an historic distance.
She may have accepted a bribe to promote a hoax. Has she bought anything expensive since the event?

esspee, there are forums out there that ban trolls but this one does not.
Old 5th June 2016, 03:48 PM   #130
esspee
black goo

in reply to William Parcher.

thanks.

Although I am not a troll, that is good news.

p.s. i predict this thread will explode when it eventually begins to trickle out that this is a fake in the general online community.
If it is a Hoax ( i think it is) it cannot be kept up forever as before long people start asking the questions that cannot be answered, like the ones I have asked here.
Old 5th June 2016, 04:00 PM   #131
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

However - there is no mention of the event or this occurrence anywhere on line outside of this and one other very grainy low res video.
- There is a HUGE lack of third part independent footage of any kind.

- Low video resolutions - something which is unlikely in this day and age.
Really?

http://www.gizmag.com/franky-zapata-interview/43151/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/15/11...oard-interview

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/flyboard-ai...-works-1554301

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/franky-za...103605821.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...travel-34-mph/

Looks like you didn't try very hard
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2016, 04:10 PM   #132
esspee
black goo

In reply to Smart cooky.

All of that and the other footage is taken from a very small pool. And all the articles have the same footage.

The HD footage pool is very small.

And the non hd low resolution (240p or 360p) 'third party' footage is also small.

The articles are second hand cut and paste style.

Similar to official press releases of all kinds these days.

If you can find INDEPENDENT third party footage and witnesses please share them with me.

Trust me - I have read A LOT of the 'articles' online about this.

Might i also say - it was genius of the marketing guys behind this to have "Hoax or not" and "is it fake" etc in their press releases.

This buried any real info online under pages and pages oon google.

Very clever of them

The Achilles heel of this hoax is not the footage. That is impeccable and state of the art.
The weakness is the lack of third party mobile phone videos, and the lack of an ordinary digital footprint/ digital trail you would expect from such a thing

Last edited by esspee; 5th June 2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 5th June 2016, 04:50 PM   #133
macdoc
Philosopher

pathetic hardly cuts it ...it's real move on.
Old 5th June 2016, 06:17 PM   #134
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry espee, but your assertion that this is fake borders on ludicrous.

Guinness World Records is a highly reputable organisation, and the flight and record attempt appears on their website

Their scrutineering of record attempts, especially those involving technology, and the ratification of successful attempts is of the highest order. They will have had aeronautical engineers examine the flyboard before allowing anyone to associate their name with a potentially dangerous act (the last thing they want is for people getting killed attempting to break or set their records).

The Guinness representative and adjudicator at the demonstration and attempt, Sofia Greenacre, will have witnessed the flight personally, and she is the genuine article...

For this to be a hoax/fake, they would have needed to fool the engineers, the GWR adjudicator, and all the thousands of members of the public who were actually present watching it fly. So far not a single member of the public has come forward and cried foul!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2016, 06:34 PM   #135
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I know that all of us like to speculate. One this particular issue, however, I am happy to wait to have the device confirmed, or repudiated, by reputable outside agencies and experts.

I realize that there is some evidence for it, but there are also a lot of suspicious aspects to the device and the video demos. It certainly would require a lot of well integrated advances in automation, control, etc. It will be interesting to find out if it is all true, true but mixed with a lot of hype, or mostly a fraud. We should find out soon.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2016, 06:37 PM   #136
macdoc
Philosopher

Some evidence???!!!

Old 5th June 2016, 06:49 PM   #137
esspee
black goo

reply to smart cooky.

Yes - agree.

It is the only thing that makes no sense.

But i do not think Guinness is what you think it is.

Not anymore.

THey are a marketing company nowadays. I can not post links yet, but google "Guinness world records Services for Brands & Agencies"

And google this too :"Guinness World Records is no longer just a book company"

I doubt very much they had engineers etc at this event. I think those days are gone.

But i do agree the Guinness endorsement does not fit into the scenario of it being a hoax very well at all. Why put their brand on the line?

One explanation is that something else is going on with the record. That is it somehow meets the criteria/definition laid out in the record, but something fishy is going on- something they have to edit out, and keep secret.

Like i said - i have chosen to ignore the the Guinness endorsement part of this story.

Reason being i am focusing on INCONSISTENCIES with the story.

These i have laid out in this thread very clearly.

Others will start to ask these same questions too.

Just because one part of a story is watertight, it does not make up for other 'holes in the bucket' if they are there.

I really wish this thing was real - But at the moment there is simply too much that does not ring true.

No one yet has answered the questions I have posed regarding the lack of digital footprints and lack of third party footage/photos from two events.... which if you believe videos, show lots of spectators in attendance.

you said it yourself "For this to be a hoax/fake, they would have needed to fool .......<edit>........ and all the thousands of members of the public who were actually present watching it fly. So far not a single member of the public has come forward and cried foul!"

So far not a single member of the public has posted a photograph anywhere that they took themselves.
Or a video in anything other than 360p 0r 240p. And even then there are less than a dozen or so. I have looked everywhere, trust me.

There are none for the latest event in Monaco. Only one official video and one in 240p from a member of the flyboard team. ( i might add neither video is on the Zapata youtube channel - likely due to legal reasons as the party organisers likely did not give permission to be linked to a hoax)

These are inconsistencies. ( my favorite word today)

None of the public who have seen it have come forward and cried " i was there, i saw it" either.
( they exist on video , but do they exist in real life as part of these events?)

And according to an exhaustive google search no one at the recent event, including organisers of the party have mentioned it ever happening, or hyped it in advance. Not one account of it anywhere online.

For me - all of this is highly suspicious dodgyness.

And an endorsement form a once great company such as Guinness, which has since changed hands several times,( and now has a new buisness model of brand marketing,) does not answer these questions satisfactorily.

Last edited by esspee; 5th June 2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 5th June 2016, 06:59 PM   #138
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I know that all of us like to speculate. One this particular issue, however, I am happy to wait to have the device confirmed, or repudiated, by reputable outside agencies and experts.

I realize that there is some evidence for it, but there are also a lot of suspicious aspects to the device and the video demos. It certainly would require a lot of well integrated advances in automation, control, etc. It will be interesting to find out if it is all true, true but mixed with a lot of hype, or mostly a fraud. We should find out soon.
I admire your attitude.

Open minded.

This is the way things should be looked at. Even I remain open minded, maybe not as much as you though.

p.s. I hope we find out soon. Part of the reason i posted this thread is to help bring about this. Now the web has something for people to find on google about it other than mere press releases ( loaded with the word hoax and fake).

"I am happy to wait to have the device confirmed, or repudiated, by reputable outside agencies and experts."

This is all I want to see. We have not seen it done yet.
Old 5th June 2016, 07:03 PM   #139
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Some evidence???!!!

If (when) reality catches up with the hype, and the hoax or deception involved with this FLyboard Air is exposed - will you leave all of your posts in this thread or delete them?

I look forward to finding out.
Old 5th June 2016, 07:07 PM   #140
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Have you tried searching for hi-resolution videos from spectators with titles such as "This is awesome" or "Up and away", etc?
Old 5th June 2016, 07:11 PM   #141
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

If (when) reality catches up with the hype, and the hoax or deception involved with this FLyboard Air is exposed - will you leave all of your posts in this thread or delete them?

I look forward to finding out.
Well, we ordinary users don't have the necessary permissions to delete our posts once the editing time has expired... about 60 minutes!

So I guess the answer to that would be no, we won't be deleting them!
Old 5th June 2016, 07:17 PM   #142
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Have you tried searching for hi-resolution videos from spectators with titles such as "This is awesome" or "Up and away", etc?
I am confident I have seen almost every video in existence of this device in action. I have tried many searches but never those two exact searches.

One interesting thing is how many of the channels with 'unique' videos of the event are either on channels affiliated with jetskis in some way - or are on channels less than a month old with either no other uploads or one or two that seem ripped from somewhere and have no purpose in being uploaded.

All up there is only about 20 or so individual videos in circulation of this device in action. Many are mirrors/ re-uploads which i am not counting towards that total.

SOunds fishy right - 20 or so videos? (despite two supposedly public performances)

Last edited by esspee; 5th June 2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 5th June 2016, 08:11 PM   #143
esspee
black goo

Can i request that a MOD puts "FLYBOARD AIR" back into the title of this thread?

The "air" part was removed when the thread was merged.

Now no one can find it on google if they choose to research the topic of it being a hoax.

As the creator of this thread i suggest you remove the word "WHY" to make space

Last edited by esspee; 5th June 2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 5th June 2016, 09:19 PM   #144
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Many of these to-good-to-be-true things do turn out to be advance advertising, some kind of stunt, for an upcoming movie or video game. I can see that esspee may be correct.

Though don't the 4-rotor drones use an on-board computer to keep them balanced? It's probably scalable.

But the pre-esspee question had to do with the propulsion- fuel storage vs thrust. Perhaps Guinness and esspee are both right- it works, but some important details are left out of the video footage, and the venues are being BS'ed.

eta: Possible scenario- it's the same old water jet "rocket belt", but with a computer stabilization system, maybe working with turbo fans, that allows the rider on top, rather than hanging below the thrust.

Last edited by casebro; 5th June 2016 at 09:22 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2016, 09:39 PM   #145
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
eta: Possible scenario- it's the same old water jet "rocket belt", but with a computer stabilization system, maybe working with turbo fans, that allows the rider on top, rather than hanging below the thrust.
With over 2km of water pipe attached? Really?

espee

Here is more third party evidence; photographs by French photo-journalist Clement Mahaudeau and licensed to Getty Images, unless you think Getty Images are in on the hoax.

http://www.gettyimages.co.nz/detail/...hoto/526592690

Getty Images are no mugs and I seriously doubt they would put their good name to hoaxes

Another thing, have you ever heard of Yves Rossy? He designed, built and flew a jet powered wingsuit.

It is powered by four Jet Cat P200 miniature jet engines usually used in large RC aircraft (you can see the engines in pairs side-by-side under each wing

Each engine weighs only 2.5kg and delivers a thrust of 24kg. They are very small too, only 34cm long and 13cm in diameter. Four of these mounted vertically would deliver a thrust of almost 100kg (about 200lb). Take away the 10kg for the weight for the engines, and say another 15kg for the construction of the flyboard and the fuel, and there is enough thrust to lift lift a relatively light weight person, under 65kg (10˝ stone)off the ground. These four engines together consume about 100 fluid ounces of fuel per minute (that is around 3kg, so a two minute flight would need to carry only 6-7kg of fuel.

Technically, this seems quite feasible to me.

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th June 2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 6th June 2016, 12:02 AM   #146
flook
New Blood

In Spanish we have a saying: When a fool takes a path, the path may end, but the fool will keep on walking... :-D

Oh my god, I cannot believe there is still someone telling FlyBoard Air is fake.

I'm sure it will not change your mind at this point, but Franky flew it the other day in the Monaco F1 party. Find video ID Ztx2Wud7-hY at YouTube.
flook is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 12:59 AM   #147
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by flook View Post
I'm sure it will not change your mind at this point, but Franky flew it the other day in the Monaco F1 party. Find video ID Ztx2Wud7-hY at YouTube.
Monaco is in on it!
Old 6th June 2016, 01:30 AM   #148
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Monaco is in on it!

NO, Monaco IS NOT in on it.

No where online can you find can any mention of the event ever taking place.

I am saying the Monaco video was created.
We live an an age where you cannot believe what you see if it is in hte form of video.
It never happened (Monaco)

If it did, show me links to anyone anywhere mentioning the event online. Anyone. Please.
( i found only two, one was on a jetski website, and one was on Zapata-racing website but quickly got removed - I am guessing because MOnaco refused to be 'in on it')
Old 6th June 2016, 01:46 AM   #149
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
With over 2km of water pipe attached? Really?

espee

Here is more third party evidence; photographs by French photo-journalist Clement Mahaudeau and licensed to Getty Images, unless you think Getty Images are in on the hoax.

http://www.gettyimages.co.nz/detail/...hoto/526592690

Getty Images are no mugs and I seriously doubt they would put their good name to hoaxes

Another thing, have you ever heard of Yves Rossy? He designed, built and flew a jet powered wingsuit.

It is powered by four Jet Cat P200 miniature jet engines usually used in large RC aircraft (you can see the engines in pairs side-by-side under each wing

Each engine weighs only 2.5kg and delivers a thrust of 24kg. They are very small too, only 34cm long and 13cm in diameter. Four of these mounted vertically would deliver a thrust of almost 100kg (about 200lb). Take away the 10kg for the weight for the engines, and say another 15kg for the construction of the flyboard and the fuel, and there is enough thrust to lift lift a relatively light weight person, under 65kg (10˝ stone)off the ground. These four engines together consume about 100 fluid ounces of fuel per minute (that is around 3kg, so a two minute flight would need to carry only 6-7kg of fuel.

Technically, this seems quite feasible to me.
Those are the exact same small handful of images i have seen countless times. But did you notice how even in those photos people are taking photos? Add those photos to the thousands of other photos and video taken by the. crowds at these events that are missing in action (presumed to have never existed)
So you have not answered the question of third party footage and photos missing.

You keep falling back on the perceived credibility of companies as defense. At the moment, the only thing holding up this hoax is peoples perceived credibility of companies.

As for Yves Rossy, yes i have heard of him. He is a legend and the real deal.
Yves Rossy is amazing, and his Jetman invention is stunning. If i was him I would be pissed at this flyboard hoax/deception whatever it is.

Remember, he has wings and launches from an aeroplane or helicopter, and later uses a parachute to land.
Big difference compared to a VTOL platform.

I know the power for this flyboard is possible. And that even controlling it on a platform will be possible, in the future perhaps.
I am just saying this particular demonstration is viral marketing, and a hoax or deception of some kind.

Last edited by esspee; 6th June 2016 at 01:48 AM.
Old 6th June 2016, 02:38 AM   #150
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Of course it is viral marketing. But deception ? Bold statement.

Again ..

You can't just 'move away' from that. It's real, get over it.

Last edited by Dr.Sid; 6th June 2016 at 02:41 AM.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 03:07 AM   #151
GraculusTheGreenBird
Thinker

Here's another new hoverboard video, not remotely grainy, of the previous Guinness world record holder Alexandru Duru's invention.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36452739

When these things are reported by the BBC, they tend to be real.
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 04:04 AM   #152
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post
Here's another new hoverboard video, not remotely grainy, of the previous Guinness world record holder Alexandru Duru's invention.

LINK removed as I am a newby

When these things are reported by the BBC, they tend to be real.

I agree, the BBC is one of the most reliable websites online (no disrespect to the people in the 9/11 forum lol)

Have you looked on BBC news for the Flyboard Air?
It is not mentioned. Not a single article. Search it, I have a few times.

Regarding this other canadian guy - i don't want to get sidetracked with him - I will save that for another day. < bites tongue, and shakes with frustration, so much i want to say >

Last edited by esspee; 6th June 2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 6th June 2016, 04:22 AM   #153
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Those are the exact same small handful of images i have seen countless times. But did you notice how even in those photos people are taking photos? Add those photos to the thousands of other photos and video taken by the. crowds at these events that are missing in action (presumed to have never existed)
So you have not answered the question of third party footage and photos missing.
Do you have any idea at how many out of all of the privately taken photos that are taken, how many actually get uploaded for public viewing. It is tiny, a small fraction of 1%. Of there were 1000 witnesses to this flight it would be statistically unlikely that any of them uploaded photos for public viewing, and even less for video.

Quote:
You keep falling back on the perceived credibility of companies as defense. At the moment, the only thing holding up this hoax is peoples perceived credibility of companies.
No, I fall back on their credibility (NOT their perceived credibility)

This is because I am a firm believer in Occam's Razor; the simplest answer is usually the correct one

Now, which is more likely

1. That an innovator (in this case Franky Zapata) has improved on a previous invention using existing, readily available technology, and built a perfectly feasible device, and then demonstrated the device to the public on numerous occasions,

or

2. That the whole thing is a hoax, and that Guinness World Records and the world's leading image distribution company, Getty Images, are in on it, and that the thousands of people who have seen it fly have all been paid off to keep quiet.

Sorry mate, your assertion does not fly (but the flyboard obviously does)

By the way, your assertion that the Flyboard was not demonstrated at Monaco is a lie.

https://www.facebook.com/flyboardvla...type=2&theater

That is definitely Le Meridian Beach Plaza; I recognise it because I have been there.

There are thousands of people watching, both at the Plaza itself and from the hotel and apartment windows in the background. I realise now that I actually saw a few brief snippets of this during SkyTV's coverage of the Monaco F1 GP. I wondered what it was, and now I know.
Old 6th June 2016, 04:30 AM   #154
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Have you looked on BBC news for the Flyboard Air?
It is not mentioned. Not a single article. Search it, I have a few times.
Your search skills must be lacking then.....

http://www.bbc.com/portuguese/videos...ate_voador_lgb
Old 6th June 2016, 04:46 AM   #155
esspee
black goo

IN reply to smartcooky

"Do you have any idea at how many out of all of the privately taken photos that are taken, how many actually get uploaded for public viewing. It is tiny, a small fraction of 1%. Of there were 1000 witnesses to this flight it would be statistically unlikely that any of them uploaded photos for public viewing, and even less for video."

This is a very good point (speculation), and is the Achilles heal of my argument. I am still right though.
Explanation of lack of evidence is still lack of evidence.

"This is because I am a firm believer in Occam's Razor; the simplest answer is usually the correct one"

I choose to see the razor as a guide only.
For example following occams razor - it is possible to perceive almost all magic tricks as real magic and not misdirection and trickery. I believe this flyboard is like that. A magic trick of sorts. An illusion.

"2. That the whole thing is a hoax, and that Guinness World Records and the world's leading image distribution company, Getty Images, are in on it, and that the thousands of people who have seen it fly have all been paid off to keep quiet.
"

Getty deal in images. They are an image agency. I do not see how they have any responsibility or need to research or verify images. They just sell them on behalf. Guinness i believe ARE very likely in on the deception, or even behind it.

"By the way, your assertion that the Flyboard was not demonstrated at Monaco is a lie.

link removed

That is definitely Le Meridian Beach Plaza; I recognise it because I have been there. "

Yes that is the place.
And no I did not lie.
You have just linked to the video i myself posted, only this time it is on a jetski facebook page.
I wish to see other mention of this event outside of this video, or jetski pages. Find some and I will be impresssed. I have to admit- your googling is better than mine as i did not find that facebook page myself.

"There are thousands of people watching, both at the Plaza itself and from the hotel and apartment windows in the background."

Yes, in the video they appears to be. I am saying the video is fake. If the video is fake then it could easily be a video taken when lots of people are there and the hoverboard added in later somehow. If the video is fake it is irrelevant how many people are shown in it. This is why i am searching for evidence outside of this video of the event ever taking place.
Find some and you will seriously undermine my argument.

I realise now that I actually saw a few brief snippets of this during SkyTV's coverage of the Monaco F1 GP. I wondered what it was, and now I know.

Okay this i find very interesting.
Did you see the flybaord air in this skyTV footage?

If you did or can find it - and it is not this video, that would seriously undermine my argument.

p.s Thankyou for the respectful manner in which you have replied and challenged my claims so far. I say challenged, as you have not undermined them yet.
Old 6th June 2016, 04:51 AM   #156
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Your search skills must be lacking then.....

http://www.bbc.com/portuguese/videos...ate_voador_lgb
Clearly! lol.

Seriously, teach me!

Hmmmm. Maybe someone asleep at the wheel on the portugese desk at the BBC? I agree this is evidence against my claim.

But still the main questions have not been cleared up satisfactorily.

1. Lack of diverse independent footage/photos (challenged but not defeated)
2. Lack of digital footprint of the events, particularly the latest one. ( nothing to debunk this claim has been presented so far)

If you can use your google talents to show me why i am wrong with number 2. you win a big victory in this debate.

Last edited by esspee; 6th June 2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 6th June 2016, 05:04 AM   #157
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LzqgpQNhiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLMbdreXzTA

1) independent
2) different angles, new shots
3) portrait

What more could you want ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 05:34 AM   #158
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post

1) independent
3) portrait

Yep, those two pretty much debunk the hoax claims

Independent, from actual witnesses at the Monaco event, using their cellphones!

Case closed!
Old 6th June 2016, 05:36 AM   #159
esspee
black goo

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post

1) independent
3) portrait

You are good <bows>

Very compelling evidence, I have to admit.

You are shaking the sand beneath my castle here. You do realise that!

"What more could you want"

Non-video evidence of the event occurring.

You are at the castle gates now.
Find me non-video evidence of this event and it could be the battering ram that smashes them open.

<hold the door, hold the door, holdor>

Old 6th June 2016, 06:00 AM   #160
macdoc
Philosopher

you don't even have a sand castle ....more like a mud pie.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology