ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political speculation , uk politics

Old 23rd July 2019, 04:24 AM   #361
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A sad day for the UK.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 04:33 AM   #362
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I was listening to an American podcast about Boris this morning. Probably not much new here for Brits, but for non-Brits curious about the new Prime Minister:

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aH...=1563836866652
Old 23rd July 2019, 04:37 AM   #363
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like the British version of Trump wins in the U.K.
Why is white nationalism winning elections?!
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:06 AM   #364
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Congratulations to Boris Johnson on becoming the new Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. He will be great!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:08 AM   #365
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Congratulations to Boris Johnson on becoming the new Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. He will be great!
Sadly, even that doesn't seem to make it any worse.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:13 AM   #366
Shankly
Scholar

I never thought I'd see the day when I was sorry to see Jeremy Hunt lose a vote!

For two years, I've wondered how the US could elect a man like Trump to lead them, and now we've gone and done the same thing.
Shankly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:13 AM   #367
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Yup. But that's also one more nail in the Union's coffin so every cloud has a silver lining.

Amazing to think that while BJ is the most popular politician in the UK his approval rating in Scotland is worse than Farage's.

Last edited by Archie Gemmill Goal; 23rd July 2019 at 05:15 AM.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:39 AM   #368
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Congratulations to the UK in pulling ahead in the "Pasty Old White Guy with Horrible Comb-over/Toupee" Competition. I honestly didn't think anyone would find anyone to beat our guy.

What's that? This isn't a "Pasty Old White Guy With Horrible Comb-over/Toupee" competition? It's the two most powerful Western Democracies elected Heads of State?

Oh well that's not good then...
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:41 AM   #369
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

But less flippantly, and I hate to go back to this well again, but what does this do to the "The Brexit Vote didn't count, it was only an opinion poll (and yes I know that's literally what it was), we need to ask again to make sure" narrative.

Electing the pro-Brexit guy is pretty much a firm "We asked them again and they still said yes." And you can't wave this one off as a "mere opinion poll."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:43 AM   #370
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Electing the pro-Brexit guy is pretty much a firm "We asked them again and they still said yes." And you can't wave this one off as a "mere opinion poll."
Did you miss that only members of the Conservative Party, a party known to be strongly pro-Brexit, were actually voting here?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:47 AM   #371
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

But less flippantly, and I hate to go back to this well again, but what does this do to the "The Brexit Vote didn't count, it was only an opinion poll (and yes I know that's literally what it was), we need to ask again to make sure" narrative.

Yes, if and when he gets elected you might be able to say that.
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:49 AM   #372
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So wait in the UK if a Prime Minister steps down only people from his party get to vote on the next one?

Like functionally equivalent to if Trump were to resigned right now only registered Republicans would be able to vote on the next President?

That's... weird.
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:54 AM   #373
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

So wait in the UK if a Prime Minister steps down only people from his party get to vote on the next one?

Like functionally equivalent to if Trump were to resigned right now only registered Republicans would be able to vote on the next President?

That's... weird.
It's a party leadership election. It just so happens that the leader of the party is also PM at the moment.

We don't vote for a PM here ever.
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:56 AM   #374
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That's... weird.
Correct. That's because the Prime Minister is usually the leader of the party in government (or in the unlikely event of a coalition, the largest party). It's a legislative, not executive position - sorta like Nancy Pelosi's or Mitch McConnell's.

Of course our head of state is appointed by God, not the electorate so it's pretty wacky all round....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 05:57 AM   #375
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That's... weird.
Yes, 120,000 votes were cast in total, under 0.2% of the UK population - damn that EU democratic deficit
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:00 AM   #376
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

They will be able to swap hair care secrets.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:02 AM   #377
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My "There's an alien parasite that looks exactly like a bad bleach blonde thinning comb-over" theory is starting to be oddly convincing.
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:06 AM   #378
Dave Rogers

More specifically, the new party leader is chosen according to the party's own rules for party leadership elections, which may or may not involve a vote by the party members; in past years some parties have simply held a vote among MP's, or only one candidate has been nominated by enough MPs to get on the ballot papers so there was no election.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:08 AM   #379
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

That's... weird.
Google Parliamentarism.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:44 AM   #380
ohms
Graduate Poster

So.....how long until we have a vote of no confidence in the government?
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:50 AM   #381
toto
Muse

That's... weird.
We vote for MPs. Anyway, if Trump resigned now, Pence would become President. I think that only Trump chose him (with advice etc).
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:02 AM   #382
Shankly
Scholar

Interesting article from BJ in the Telegraph in 2007, following Gordon Brown succeeding Tony Blair

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...don-brown-2007

I await Boris calling a GE with bated breath - surely he isn't a hypocrite?
Shankly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:06 AM   #383
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
So.....how long until we have a vote of no confidence in the government?
I'm sure that Jeremy Corbyn is considering it right now.

Then again I'd say that the government would likely survive it. If it's right now, anti no deal Tories could justifiably claim that Boris has said he would work on a deal. If it's before 31 October, they could claim that switching just before a national crisis isn't a good idea.

Even if the no confidence vote was successful, I think there's a good chance that Boris could get the Tories a healthy majority. The remain vote would be split and Brexit Party supporters would be drawn to Boris like flies to **** (or maybe like ***** to more **** ).
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:10 AM   #384
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shankly View Post
Interesting article from BJ in the Telegraph in 2007, following Gordon Brown succeeding Tony Blair

Could be a good call from his perspective. A victory would establish his legitimacy and tbh a dead dog with a blue rosette is a more tempting prospect as PM to most people than an antisemitic soft-Brexiteer who appears to be at odds with most of his own party.
Old 23rd July 2019, 07:11 AM   #385
Doubt
Philosopher

I have a pet theory that that Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, and Doug Ford are all possessed by aliens that sit on top of their heads and sort of look like hair. If Ford becomes the next Canadian PM then the invasion will almost be finished. We would just need to see if Putin suddenly starts sprouting almost life like hair on top of his head.
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:10 AM   #386
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yes, 120,000 votes were cast in total, under 0.2% of the UK population - damn that EU democratic deficit
It's still a lot more votes than the EU leaders get. EU leaders are appointed by a committee - even the MEPs only get a vote to rubber stamp the chosen leader - they don't get a choice between even two candidates.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:00 AM   #387
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
It's still a lot more votes than the EU leaders get. EU leaders are appointed by a committee - even the MEPs only get a vote to rubber stamp the chosen leader - they don't get a choice between even two candidates.
A committee formed of and by?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:03 AM   #388
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Election... mumble mumble.....small chaps but immensely strong....mumble.... thin layer of lemon curd....mumble... Poisonous monkey!....mumble, pause, mumble...lorry load of interesting cheeses.....mumble
I'm afraid the Conservative Party was very very drunk!
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:19 AM   #389
ceptimus
puzzler

A committee formed of and by?
What are you rambling about? Please admit that the latest EU leaders, such as Ursula von der Leyon, received a vanishingly small number of votes in her election appointment - even when compared with the small number that voted for Boris.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:22 AM   #390
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Elected by the MPs. suggested by committee formed from the constituent states of the EU in it's parliament.

Boris was chosen by the MPs of one party and voted by the party members.

Get a ******* clue!
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:24 AM   #391
ceptimus
puzzler

Elected by the MPs. suggested by committee formed from the constituent states of the EU in it's parliament.

Boris was chosen by the MPs of one party and voted by the party members.

Get a ******* clue!
You're the one without any clues. How many people voted for von der Leyon?

I suppose now we'll just hear the sound of crickets.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:26 AM   #392
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

She got more than 50% of the votes of the parliament. What more do you want?
Do you know what 'representative democracy' means?
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:37 AM   #393
ceptimus
puzzler

Boris got more than 50% of the votes of his party's MPs, and almost 2/3 of the votes of his party members. By a rough calculation he had about ninety-two-thousand more people voting for him than von der Leyon did.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:40 AM   #394
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

"Upstairs, the Queen Elizabeth II conference centre was hosting the world’s largest gathering of psychoanalysts for their biennial congress. None of them are going to be short of work in the weeks and months ahead. Indeed, there were several hundred potential patients downstairs for what was more a jobs fair than a Tory party leadership announcement.

Here in the hall every pathology was on view. The smug, the needy, the desperate, the amoral and the deluded. And that was just Boris Johnson. "

The ever brilliant John Crace writing in The Guardian today.
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:44 AM   #395
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Boris got more than 50% of the votes of his party's MPs, and almost 2/3 of the votes of his party members. By a rough calculation he had about ninety-two-thousand more people voting for him than von der Leyon did.
You don't seem to understand why the number of people voting is less important than representation.

EU Leader was voted for by the parliament, the MPs and selected by a representative committee.

Boris was selected by Tory MPs and voted for by party members.
Yes, he won the vote to be leader of a political party.

How, in any kind of fair and rational representative democracy does that make him leader of the government?
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:54 AM   #396
ceptimus
puzzler

He was elected by exactly the same process that May was - except that Leadsom dropped out of the May election so the party members never got a chance to vote for her.

It's the way we do it in this country. I think Gordon Brown was appointed PM with no vote whatsoever when Blair was forced to resign?
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:30 AM   #397
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly the election of May was even more of a disgrace. It wasn't an election at all.
Yes I know you will mention Brown and Blair, that was also a stitch up.
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:44 AM   #398
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Shankly View Post

No, an opportunist. Heíll want to get the next election out of the way while Labour are still in disarray over the anti-semitism thing, and before itís too obvious what a dogís Brexit heís made of the whole thing.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:48 AM   #399
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
We have a really good man who's going to be the prime minister of the UK now, Boris Johnson. He's tough, he's smart... they call him Britain's Trump

http://bbc.in/32H4cdH
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:03 PM   #400
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
I have a pet theory that that Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, and Doug Ford are all possessed by aliens that sit on top of their heads and sort of look like hair. If Ford becomes the next Canadian PM then the invasion will almost be finished. We would just need to see if Putin suddenly starts sprouting almost life like hair on top of his head.
Add Australiaís Scott Morrison to that lot. Compare and contrast to NZ PM Ardern.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics