ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 30th June 2019, 03:14 PM   #281
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Yes. I wonder how Trump supporters think he is making America great:

A notorious liar.
Communicates via Twitter.
Can't spell (and does not have the common sense to let someone proof-read his messages).
... etc, etc.

Does that make America great in your eyes?

It certainly doesn't in the eyes of most of the world. If this wasn't so serious, we'd be rolling on the floor laughing.

Hans
The can’t-spell no-proofreading thing. Why do you think other folks would think that is important? The Republicans planted the seeds of anti-intellectualism more than a generation ago.

And I suspect there are Republicans that are annoyed by it, but they say to themselves, “it annoys the liberals more than it annoys me, so I’ll just take comfort in that.”

In any case the larger point I want to make is that 40% of the country has vastly different values from those of you or me. That is a good foundation for Trumpism. And a good 40 years of reality TV has created a large segment of the population that values style over substance. A transcript of any extemporaneous Trump speech clearly indicates the lack of substance, but a video of any extemporaneous Trump speech shows that he has a style that creates standing ovations.
Old 30th June 2019, 03:20 PM   #282
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
The can’t-spell no-proofreading thing. Why do you think other folks would think that is important? The Republicans planted the seeds of anti-intellectualism more than a generation ago.

And I suspect there are Republicans that are annoyed by it, but they say to themselves, “it annoys the liberals more than it annoys me, so I’ll just take comfort in that.”

In any case the larger point I want to make is that 40% of the country has vastly different values from those of you or me. That is a good foundation for Trumpism. And a good 40 years of reality TV has created a large segment of the population that values style over substance. A transcript of any extemporaneous Trump speech clearly indicates the lack of substance, but a video of any extemporaneous Trump speech shows that he has a style that creates standing ovations.

Every time I see him at a rally pontificating, I can't help but think of Mussolini. They have very similar body language and style.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 03:41 PM   #283
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Every time I see him at a rally pontificating, I can't help but think of Mussolini. They have very similar body language and style.
Yes. If you need a stock photo of pure smugness, those are two go-to guys.
Old 30th June 2019, 03:51 PM   #284
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Yes. If you need a stock photo of pure smugness, those are two go-to guys.
Yes, the jaw-jutting smugness when being idolized by their fans is so similar.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 30th June 2019 at 03:52 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 03:51 PM   #285
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
You mean bumbling around the world on the US taxpayers' tab, saying and doing anything, ANYTHING, as long as it keeps his fat orange face front and center on TV and pays him tax-free. He is such a publicity-whore that he will eat his own **** live on Fox and Friends if it gets him extra publicity.
And bring the kids along too for an experience that money shouldn’t be able to buy.
Old 30th June 2019, 04:00 PM   #286
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

>snip>

He dominates the world news, and as the world pities Mutti Merkel, Trump walks on the freaking DMZ in Korea!
I bet the parents of Adam Warmbier are just tickled pink!
Old 30th June 2019, 04:27 PM   #287
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I bet the parents of Adam Warmbier are just tickled pink!
Otto
Old 30th June 2019, 04:31 PM   #288
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

I had a great meeting with President Xi of China yesterday, far better than expected. I agreed not to increase the already existing Tariffs that we charge China while we continue to negotiate. China has agreed that, during the negotiation, they will begin purchasing large.....

....amounts of agricultural product from our great Farmers.
Trump actually believes that the Chinese Government buys food directly from US American farmers. It really doesn't.

Quote:
At the request of our High Tech companies, and President Xi, I agreed to allow Chinese company Huawei to buy product from them which will not impact our National Security. Importantly, we have opened up negotiations...
An opening up, very positive.

Quote:
....again ...
Maybe not very positive, then.

Quote:
... with China as our relationship with them continues to be a very good one.
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I really gotta hand it to Trump; he knows how to put on a show.
That's good to hear. Trade wars, however easy they are to win, can so get in the way of good relations.

Quote:
The quality of the transaction is far more important to me than speed. I am in no hurry ...
Nov 2020, that's like a lifetime away.

Quote:
but things look very good!
"Good" again. It's the very best word in Trump's vocabulary.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; 30th June 2019 at 04:35 PM.
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 04:35 PM   #289
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Trump actually believes that the Chinese Government buys food directly from US American farmers. It really doesn't.
He made the same claim about the Mexican govt a week or two ago.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 04:36 PM   #290
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Yeah, but one of them is a muslim, mind. You know, like scary Obama.

Funny thing is, now that I think of it, all the Iranian priests probably need to do is invite Trump over, suck up to him, put on a sword dance show for him to watch over his ice cream, and let him touch the shining BFF orb, and he'll be gushing on Twitter about how bigly good and friendly the Iranians are, etc.
I keep picturing that as well. Unlikely, Muslims being worse than atheists or something, but it would be worth it just to see Bolton's head explode.
Old 30th June 2019, 04:36 PM   #291
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Otto
Oh, yes...thank you. I was working on something else at the time concerning someone named Adam and the name stuck in my head.
Old 30th June 2019, 04:39 PM   #292
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I wonder how the GOP-FOX News would have handled Obama stepping into N. Korea?
Old 30th June 2019, 04:46 PM   #293
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

That was my immediate reaction when I first saw Trump in performance. Further observation has confirmed that initial impression. Both are examples of a type, as are the people who fall for their charms. And as their fates when it all goes wrong. Those who live by cultivating resentment die messily when they let people down.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 04:47 PM   #294
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

He made the same claim about the Mexican govt a week or two ago.
Trump really believes that international trade occurs between nations.

Old 30th June 2019, 05:07 PM   #295
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I agree with Trebuchet - Trump has no ideological core that can be called right-wing or left-wing. Without core beliefs, he just says whatever any given group of listeners wants to hear at any given time. I think that’s been patently obvious for a long time.
I don't disagree, but given his embrace of authoritarianism I have a hard time imagining what a real right-winger would offer "conservative" voters that Trump doesn't. That was the context of the discussion. Could a more moderate, traditional Republican have a chance as a third-party candidate? And part of that discussion was, who would be a bigger spoiler for Trump? A Kasich or a real right-winger ... and that's where I come up blank.

This is assuming that the RNC will not allow any Republican challengers to Trump. The election is still a ways out and IMO there's a chance that in 16 months Trump might begin to look less appealing the Republican establishment, especially if any GOP senators get nervous about their own chances for re-election.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 05:14 PM   #296
Minoosh
Philosopher

Trump really believes that international trade occurs between nations.
Given China's governance system I'm thinking the CCP could actually make this kind of commitment. But they are going to be shopping for other sources to get what they need. They know what they need to say to Trump to make him feel good in the moment, while themselves playing a long game that Trump is utterly incapable of.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 05:28 PM   #297
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump has claimed that Obama "begged" constantly for a meeting with Kim but was turned down. Former Obama officials, including Ben Rhodes, who served as Obama’s deputy national security adviser, have said this is simply not true.

I'm shocked! Shocked I tell ya!

Last edited by Stacyhs; 30th June 2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 30th June 2019, 05:34 PM   #298
Paul2
Philosopher

Iran is a shadow of its former self, and clearly no longer a threat to the chosen regimes of Israel & Saudi in the ME.
My rule of thumb is that anytime someone says something is clearly X, there is a fair chance it is not X.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 05:39 PM   #299
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Given China's governance system I'm thinking the CCP could actually make this kind of commitment.
The Mexican government couldn't, nor could anyone on the US side of the deal. The point is that Trump has no conception of what international trade -or, indeed, any kind of trade - actually is. He is a moron.

Old 30th June 2019, 06:13 PM   #300
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

The Mexican government couldn't, nor could anyone on the US side of the deal. The point is that Trump has no conception of what international trade -or, indeed, any kind of trade - actually is. He is a moron.
Yes. I always think it a bit strange when he is referred to as a successful businessman. He knows so little about business.
Old 30th June 2019, 06:20 PM   #301
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
He dominates the news with bullying and rather crude simple insults. This is leadership? In the world he has achieved nothing. He loves Kim because most of the world hates both of them.
Most of the world, outside USA.

His support among American voters is the closest to positive territory it's been so far, despite him acting like a horse's arse and being reviled across the world. He comes across as the tough guy the little coward in him always wanted to be. There's a superb pic of him today leaning over Kim Jung Un. Power, baby.

No more calling for hanging innocent men, he will nuke your ******* arse if you piss him off. He's loving it, and the American public seem to be lapping it up.

I'd be prepared to bet a chocolate fish his RCP & 538 popularity rating will hit positive territory this year.

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
My rule of thumb is that anytime someone says something is clearly X, there is a fair chance it is not X.
Yep, just like 5 is clearly more than 4.

Great saying. Confucius, was it?
Old 30th June 2019, 06:39 PM   #302
Stacyhs
Philosopher

His support among American voters is the closest to positive territory it's been so far, despite him acting like a horse's arse and being reviled across the world. He comes across as the tough guy the little coward in him always wanted to be. There's a superb pic of him today leaning over Kim Jung Un. Power, baby.

No more calling for hanging innocent men, he will nuke your ******* arse if you piss him off. He's loving it, and the American public seem to be lapping it up.

I'd be prepared to bet a chocolate fish his RCP & 538 popularity rating will hit positive territory this year.

Hilite#1: Agreed.

Hilite #2: Please don't describe the minority of Americans as "the American public". I want to vomit every time his smug and smarmy face comes on the TV.

Hilite #3: I'll take that bet and raise you a gummy bear. (Haribo. No knock offs)
Old 30th June 2019, 06:58 PM   #303
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump tweets

The highly respected Farm Journal has just announced my Approval Rating with our great Farmers at 74%, and that despite all of the Fake & Corrupt News that they are forced to endure. Farmers have been unfairly treated for many years - and that is turning around FAST!

The leaders of virtually every country that I met at the G-20 congratulated me on our great economy. Many countries are having difficulties on that score. We have the best economy anywhere in the world, with GREAT & UNLIMITED potential looking into the future!
Farm Journal highly respected? My recollection is that it's a media conglomerate.

Oh, wait... it says Trump is popular, Trump therefore respects it, everything Trump does is "highly, hugely or greatly". It stands to "reason" that it's now a "highly respected" journal.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 07:06 PM   #304
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Oh, dear! Those poor farmers are being forced to watch Fake News! What next? Being forced to watch reruns of Murder She Wrote? Or ...horror of horrors...Green Acres?
Old 30th June 2019, 07:17 PM   #305
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Trump has claimed that Obama "begged" constantly for a meeting with Kim but was turned down. Former Obama officials, including Ben Rhodes, who served as Obama’s deputy national security adviser, have said this is simply not true.

I'm shocked! Shocked I tell ya!
Even Fox's pundits called this out yesterday filling time waiting for the "Historical Moment".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 07:26 PM   #306
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Quick question: When Trump stepped into NK territory, wasn't he, technically, crossing a border wall without a formal visa application? He just invited himself in, didn't he? And Kim kindly let him in without having to pass NK's version of ICE. So shouldn't Trump be out of a job and locked up in a cage there now?

One can only hope...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 07:32 PM   #307
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

https://twitter.com/ParhamGhobadi/st...d-video-2019-6

Ivanka Trump trying to engage in an otherwise serious conversation among world leaders at the G20 by repeating little bits of what other participants had just said and then adding a total non-sequitur.

It's actually more cringe-inducing than anything, because we've probably all had a similar (though far less consequential) experience.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 07:45 PM   #308
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

Ivanka Trump trying to engage in an otherwise serious conversation among world leaders at the G20 by repeating little bits of what other participants had just said and then adding a total non-sequitur.

It's actually more cringe-inducing than anything, because we've probably all had a similar (though far less consequential) experience.
That is bloody weird.
Old 30th June 2019, 07:50 PM   #309
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Hilite#1: Agreed.

Hilite #2: Please don't describe the minority of Americans as "the American public". I want to vomit every time his smug and smarmy face comes on the TV.
Hmm, not sure minority is the right word - it's getting very close to 50/50.

Hilite #3: I'll take that bet and raise you a gummy bear. (Haribo. No knock offs)
Done - a chocolate fish and a packet of Haribo gummy bears.
Old 30th June 2019, 08:25 PM   #310
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, an innocent man likely would.
Trump acts guilty when it comes to everything he's accused of. He's been shown to be guilty several times, but has not demonstrated innocence in any case I know of.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 09:39 PM   #311
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Ivanka, you DO know this is an adult conversation, completely unlike dealing with your father...right?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2019, 10:13 PM   #312
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Ivanka, you DO know this is an adult conversation, completely unlike dealing with your father...right?
And the evidence says, no.
Old 1st July 2019, 12:21 AM   #313
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The look on Christine Legarde's face is just priceless! Ivanka really does look like the uncomfortable unpopular girl trying to be noticed by the cool kids.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 1st July 2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 1st July 2019, 12:28 AM   #314
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Hmm, not sure minority is the right word - it's getting very close to 50/50.

Done - a chocolate fish and a packet of Haribo gummy bears.
That's the not quite half with an IQ under 100.
Old 1st July 2019, 12:51 AM   #315
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I would not take that bet. I've been saying for a while that IMO President Trump has a good chance of being reelected unless there is a sudden recession. Most people don't give a stuff about global affairs and geopolitics, if they feel better off than they did (even if they are objectively worse off) then they will tend to go with the status quo.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 01:45 AM   #316
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

So many amazing things happened over the last three days. All, or at least most of those things, are great for the United States. Much was accomplished!

“Stocks Cap Best First Half Since 1997” @WSJ Our Country is doing great!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 02:35 AM   #317
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I would not take that bet. I've been saying for a while that IMO President Trump has a good chance of being reelected unless there is a sudden recession. Most people don't give a stuff about global affairs and geopolitics, if they feel better off than they did (even if they are objectively worse off) then they will tend to go with the status quo.
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with The Atheist or not. He's saying Trump's popularity could break the 50 percent mark, and that Trump will most likely win ... while you are saying there's a good chance he'll win absent a recession.

You both say things that could be taken as warnings about complacency. You're maybe not quite as bullish on Trump as TA. Am I reading your position correctly?
Old 1st July 2019, 03:06 AM   #318
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with The Atheist or not. He's saying Trump's popularity could break the 50 percent mark, and that Trump will most likely win ... while you are saying there's a good chance he'll win absent a recession.

You both say things that could be taken as warnings about complacency. You're maybe not quite as bullish on Trump as TA. Am I reading your position correctly?
I'm probably marginally less bullish than TA but right now think that President Trump is more likely to be reelected than not.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st July 2019, 03:14 AM   #319
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

So many amazing things happened over the last three days. All, or at least most of those things, are great for the United States. Much was accomplished!
Let's see.

1) You left the USA. That's always a bonus.
2) At G20 you claimed great strides forward with tariffs on China by simply leaving things as they are now. You did nothing.
3) Did you do anything in South Korea besides use their toilets?
4) You went to see your l'il buddy Kim on North Korea. He's playing you like a stupid fish but that's been obvious for years now.
5) You went to North Korea by walking 20 feet. Vacation? And then you came back...pity.

Oh and your daughter distinguished herself by being that annoying little five-year-old at a cocktail party who keeps wanting to show you her dolly.

So yeah. Impressive.

Quote:
“Stocks Cap Best First Half Since 1997” @WSJ Our Country is doing great!
Only in percentage terms. And only after you dicked about with tariffs to drive the market down in the first place. So even a mild rise to a middling level is "yuge". So it's more like a correction back to normal rather than a surge. Rooster taking credit for the dawn.
Old 1st July 2019, 05:22 AM   #320
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I totally misread "your lil buddy Kim" as "your buddy, Lil Kim" up there and wondered briefly what the heck is going on in the DMZ.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics