ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 24th July 2019, 02:28 PM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,649
Girls protesting boys who identify as girl using their restrooms and showers.

I don't blame them. Having to see male private prats is not something a young girl should have to experience.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/t...WlzsZ-E9gFZT8g
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.

Last edited by Cainkane1; 24th July 2019 at 03:37 PM.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 5,319
I have known some females that could be described as prats also.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 02:50 PM   #3
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,968
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I don't blame them. Having to see male private prats is not something a young girl should have to experience.
Seeing a prat in general would be horrifying, whatever it is.

On the other hand, what in the **** are you talking about?

ETA: It is technically qualified as a person's buttocks (I just learned). This does change my outlook. I am extremely pleased to hear they are seeing the males PRIVATE prats, rather than their public prats.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 24th July 2019 at 02:51 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,448
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I don't blame them. Having to see male private prats is not something a young girl should have to experience.
You will now become utterly traumatized when i inform you that male parents often take their young daughters, who are too young to go change on their own, into the male changing rooms (with naked adult men potentially present) when they go public swimming pools and such.

Little girls (potentially) seeing a bunch fat and jolly old men and their PENISES! You now have the right to consider yourself triggered.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Last edited by Arcade22; 24th July 2019 at 03:48 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 5,319
I think there may be some here who appreciate that we have a difficult problem today, when it is recognised a number of people do not fit the perfect mould of male or female. The sensitive among us feel we should try to find ways to accomodate those not fitting. It may not be easy but there's justice in it. Those who just join the shrill cry of outrage are not helpful.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19,230
Having participated in a lot of threads on related subjects, my opinions on the subject are well known.

My opinion on this thread in particular is that it is pure trolling.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 5,319
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
You will now become utterly traumatized when i inform you that male parents often take their young daughters, who are too young to go change on their own, into the male changing rooms (with naked adult men potentially present) when they go public swimming pools and such.

Little girls (potentially) seeing a bunch fat and jolly old and their PENISES! You now have the right to consider yourself triggered.

Hej Arcade, I am Swedish by birth also.

The Swedish are a little ahead of the rest of the World in dealing with gender diversity with the gender neutral "hen" term - relatively recently I believe.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 03:24 PM   #8
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 14,691
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I am extremely pleased to hear they are seeing the males PRIVATE prats, rather than their public prats.
It could be worse. They could be seeing their pubic parts.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 03:32 PM   #9
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing
 
gerdbonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Posts: 17,320
I am not a prat and so's my wife!
__________________
I'll bet you didn't notice that I was Totally ExoneratedTM when I wrote this.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 03:36 PM   #10
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,649
https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/t...WlzsZ-E9gFZT8g

Edited by jsfisher:  Edited to remove much of the disruptive post formatting.



Girls and boys deserve privacy.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.

Last edited by jsfisher; 2nd August 2019 at 02:57 PM.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 03:42 PM   #11
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,649
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
You will now become utterly traumatized when i inform you that male parents often take their young daughters, who are too young to go change on their own, into the male changing rooms (with naked adult men potentially present) when they go public swimming pools and such.

Little girls (potentially) seeing a bunch fat and jolly old and their PENISES! You now have the right to consider yourself triggered.
If by little you mean infants then there's no harm. Perhaps in your culture its ok for little girls and teens to see male private areas but in most parts of America that would be considered indecent exposure.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 04:02 PM   #12
Venom
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,751
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I don't blame them. Having to see male private prats is not something a young girl should have to experience.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/t...WlzsZ-E9gFZT8g
We're talking high schoolers here.

Just a thought.

I don't think elementary schoolers on the other hand would entertain M-F transitioned little kids. But this student might have a case.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 04:10 PM   #13
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19,230
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Ok. The news story is a bit stale, but at least there's an associated news story. That makes it not quite so trollish.


I think if you were to interview the protestors, you would find that their objection was not that they might see male naughty bits, but that someone who is known to the girls as a male might see the protestors' female bits. In other words, the issue is about protecting their own privacy, not about what they might see.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 04:21 PM   #14
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,693
I assumed he meant PARTS, as in "Total noodle frontity" (Archie Bunker)

Seems to me the real problem is American prudery. My parents did not suffer from that. Changing clothes, or my 10 year old sister giving me (6 yo) and my younger bro our baths.

And in 1965 the gym coach explaining that "everybody's plumbing is a little different, but they all work the same. Now 100 boys, get neked in the communal shower". They don't do that anymore either. How about skinny dipping? Co-ed?

Personally, I draw the line at surgery- or you ain't transsexual. Meantime, use the facility for your bio-sex. After surgery, nobody would know.

Meantime we have tyranny by the minority- a very, very small minority. Umm, 1/300? And the only known biological difference for most of those is an imbalance of mental chemicals. How far should 297 people have to go to accommodate 3?

These kinds of issues are what makes me amenable to the idea that the Commies instigated divisiveness since the 50s at least. I just can't believe real people would get their panties in a bunch of such a petty problem without some outside fomenting.
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 04:29 PM   #15
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,448
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Note that this is a far-right and reactionary website run by Canadian evangelical Christians for the sole purpose of disseminating propaganda that is anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, anti-women's rights or otherwise supports their views and is against everything they consider to be contrary to their religious beliefs.

It's not a credible source of information and anything found there is liable to be erroneous or otherwise colored by their bias.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Last edited by Arcade22; 24th July 2019 at 04:31 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 04:44 PM   #16
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,984
The school actually has a gender neutral bathroom

Tell the person with the dangly bits to use it. Problem solved

https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/cou...eb3b3cfc1.html

Quote:
Counselors are also available to speak with students regarding their gender identity, among other subjects. The high school has a gender-neutral restroom anyone can use.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 05:14 PM   #17
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 21,334
Reactionary Chicken Little declares sky is falling. Mass hysteria ensues.
__________________
'The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.' - Richard Feynman
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 06:06 PM   #18
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19,230
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Note that this is a far-right and reactionary website run by Canadian evangelical Christians for the sole purpose of disseminating propaganda that is anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, anti-women's rights or otherwise supports their views and is against everything they consider to be contrary to their religious beliefs.

It's not a credible source of information and anything found there is liable to be erroneous or otherwise colored by their bias.
If you go to google news and type in Council Bluffs transgender, you'll see the same news story from several sources, mainstream, right wing, and otherwise. The mainstream ones obviously won't have the editorializing that was found in the right wing source, but the basics are there, and the quotes are word for word consistent

Last edited by Meadmaker; 24th July 2019 at 06:08 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 07:00 PM   #19
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,212
What is wrong with seeing genitalia of both sexes? I can't think of a reason why it would bother someone. A penis isn't great looking, but that seems like it would lend itself to indifference.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 07:26 PM   #20
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,601
"The backlash against the relentless assault on nearly every civilizational institution by transgender activists seems to be slowly increasing as ordinary men and women realize the implications of the transgender agenda and the abolition of gender."

My God that sentence is packed with bull excrement.

Those transgender activists, how can they oppose every civilizational institution? Every single one! The courts, governments, public libraries, the internet, the rule of law, schools, international treaties, the Freemasons...they're assaulting them all and just won't stop!!1!

And how are we going to procreate once gender is abolished?

How will people be trans-gender without gender?

It's all so very confusing.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 07:26 PM   #21
Myles
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: from Nowhere
Posts: 177
I am a male. Can’t remember the last time I’ve blundered into a ladies room, but are they not equipped with stalls with doors? I don’t recall seeing anything resembling the urinal row in the men’s room. If my memory is correct and if the state of the art is the same, how will the girls observe those naughty bits without being some sort of nosy parker?
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 07:29 PM   #22
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 63,089
For once, and yes I'm shocked, I'm in agreement with BobTheCoward. Seeing perfectly natural body parts should not be a source of shame. Children should be taught that penises (and vulvas) exist from an early age.
__________________
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 07:38 PM   #23
Sherman Bay
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,211
Maybe Robert Rimmer's Harrad Experiment was ahead of its time. At this college, there was one mandatory class for all students -- a swimming pool with no suits allowed for either sex.

In this fictional universe, it seemed to work.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 07:39 PM   #24
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,649
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
For once, and yes I'm shocked, I'm in agreement with BobTheCoward. Seeing perfectly natural body parts should not be a source of shame. Children should be taught that penises (and vulvas) exist from an early age.
Its not me protesting its the girls.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 07:47 PM   #25
applecorped
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,621
Yes girls shouldn't have the right to protest, good job adults
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 07:57 PM   #26
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,212
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Its not me protesting its the girls.
Their offense is misplaced.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 08:00 PM   #27
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 63,089
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Its not me protesting its the girls.
I realise that. In a better world, they should have no reason to protest.
__________________
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 08:40 PM   #28
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19,230
Sigh.


It's always the same old stuff. Same, same, same. I just wish people would not pretend that they don't understand, and wouldn't repeat the same old straw men. That phrase "straw man" is way overused on ISF, but here, it is a perfect example. To be a true straw man, the arguer has to take a real argument, and substitute a similar argument, and then attack the substitute argument.

Here's an example:

Originally Posted by Bob, but others have said and will continue to say the same thing
What is wrong with seeing genitalia of both sexes? I can't think of a reason why it would bother someone. A penis isn't great looking, but that seems like it would lend itself to indifference.
Why is that a straw man? Because the actual argument made by the girls who wish for privacy is that they want some control over who sees them in a state of complete or partial undress. The issue is that the girls might be undressed and, while undressed, be seen by a male. What Bob (et. al.) has done above is to substitute that actual argument for a different argument. In the substitute argument, Bob (et. al.) has said that the girls object to what they might see, i.e. the substitute argument is that the girls do not want to see the male's penis. Now, Bob (et. al.) can criticize the girls for their prudery and make fun of them for fearing that they might see a penis, and that sounds kind of childish. However, that isn't their argument, so all Bob (et. al.) has done is knock down the straw man.


(ETA: Bob correctly noted in subsequent posts that the OP did in fact say that the issue was young girls seeing a penis. God only knows what Cainkane1 was really thinking, but the girls who actually protest about the invasion of female only spaces by males rarely if ever complain about the possibility that they might see a penis. They actually complain about privacy, by which they mean that they are concerned about who might see their bodies, rather than whose bodies they might see.)


Now comes the next straw man.

Originally Posted by Myles, but others have said and will continue to say the same thing
I am a male. Can’t remember the last time I’ve blundered into a ladies room, but are they not equipped with stalls with doors? I don’t recall seeing anything resembling the urinal row in the men’s room. If my memory is correct and if the state of the art is the same, how will the girls observe those naughty bits without being some sort of nosy parker?
So, Myles repeats the previous straw man about girls seeing naughty bits, but he adds the second straw man which is so common in these discussions. This one is routinely repeated by the news media who reports it as well, but it's a straw man. The actual argument made by the girls is that they might be seen while undressed, which, one must admit, is not all that common in a ladies' room. On the other hand, it is extremely common in a locker room, which is what the ladies complain about far more often than with rest rooms. So, Myles (et. al.) takes the actual argument, which is that the girls will be seen undressed if males are allowed into female only spaces where full or partial nudity is common, and substitutes a much more restricted argument, limiting the space in question to restrooms. He then proceeds to demolish the straw man argument by noting that the stall doors preserve privacy, so there is no need to worry. Unfortunately, it does nothing to address the girls' real complaint, which extends beyond bathrooms and into places where being seen undressed is in fact quite common.


But, carry on. I know you will. Heaven forbid anyone should address the actual complaint when the straw men can be demolished so easily.


Oh, and for the next step, some people will go on and insult the desire for modesty that the girls express. It will be said that we ought to be perfectly happy to run about with no clothes regardless of who is watching, or at the very least the sex of the watcher should not be a factor in deciding if they ought to see us undressed. To that I simply say that the argument has the virtue of being honest, i.e. not inherently a straw man, but if you are going to go that way, make sure to go all the way with that argument. By going all the way with that argument, what I mean is that you have to apply it to the trans person as well. In that case, you have to acknowledge that the trans person ought also to be comfortable in either sex's facilities, because no one, including the trans person, ought to care who sees them undressed, or is seen by them while undressed. It shouldn't matter to anyone, including the transperson.

And when you acknowledge that last part, it is revealed that that argument, too, is often a straw man, because it is clear that the real argument is not about modesty and whether it makes sense at all. The real problem with having the transperson use the facilities of their own sex is that to do so would be to assert that the person's self identification is in some sense not "real". i.e. if a transgirl is told to use the boys' room, the real problem is that in doing so the authorities are saying, "You aren't really a girl."


And, they aren't. At least, I and a whole lot of other people don't think that they are. So, if you disagree, then argue about that. Saying, "trans girls are really girls" is not a straw man.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 24th July 2019 at 10:39 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 09:02 PM   #29
Myles
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: from Nowhere
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Sigh.


It's always the same old stuff. Same, same, same. I just wish people would not pretend that they don't understand, and wouldn't repeat the same old straw men. That phrase "straw man" is way overused on ISF, but here, it is a perfect example. To be a true straw man, the arguer has to take a real argument, and substitute a similar argument, and then attack the substitute argument.

Here's an example:



Why is that a straw man? Because the actual argument made by the girls who wish for privacy is that they want some control over who sees them in a state of complete or partial undress. The issue is that the girls might be undressed and, while undressed, be seen by a male. What Bob (et. al.) has done above is to substitute that actual argument for a different argument. In the substitute argument, Bob (et. al.) has said that the girls object to what they might see, i.e. the substitute argument is that the girls do not want to see the male's penis. Now, Bob (et. al.) can criticize the girls for their prudery and make fun of them for fearing that they might see a penis, and that sounds kind of childish. However, that isn't their argument, so all Bob (et. al.) has done is knock down the straw man.


Now comes the next straw man.



So, Myles repeats the previous straw man about girls seeing naughty bits, but he adds the second straw man which is so common in these discussions. This one is routinely repeated by the news media who reports it as well, but it's a straw man. The actual argument made by the girls is that they might be seen while undressed, which, one must admit, is not all that common in a ladies' room. On the other hand, it is extremely common in a locker room, which is what the ladies complain about far more often than with rest rooms. So, Myles (et. al.) takes the actual argument, which is that the girls will be seen undressed if males are allowed into female only spaces where full or partial nudity is common, and substitutes a much more restricted argument, limiting the space in question to restrooms. He then proceeds to demolish the straw man argument by noting that the stall doors preserve privacy, so there is no need to worry. Unfortunately, it does nothing to address the girls' real complaint, which extends beyond bathrooms and into places where being seen undressed is in fact quite common.


But, carry on. I know you will. Heaven forbid anyone should address the actual complaint when the straw men can be demolished so easily.


Oh, and for the next step, some people will go on and insult the desire for modesty that the girls express. It will be said that we ought to be perfectly happy to run about with no clothes regardless of who is watching, or at the very least the sex of the watcher should not be a factor in deciding if they ought to see us undressed. To that I simply say that the argument has the virtue of being honest, i.e. not inherently a straw man, but if you are going to go that way, make sure to go all the way with that argument. By going all the way with that argument, what I mean is that you have to apply it to the trans person as well. In that case, you have to acknowledge that the trans person ought also to be comfortable in either sex's facilities, because no one, including the trans person, ought to care who sees them undressed, or is seen by them while undressed. It shouldn't matter to anyone, including the transperson.

And when you acknowledge that last part, it is revealed that that argument, too, is often a straw man, because it is clear that the real argument is not about modesty and whether it makes sense at all. The real problem with having the transperson use the facilities of their own sex is that to do so would be to assert that the person's self identification is in some sense not "real". i.e. if a transgirl is told to use the boys' room, the real problem is that in doing so the authorities are saying, "You aren't really a girl."


And, they aren't. At least, I and a whole lot of other people don't think that they are. So, if you disagree, then argue about that. Saying, "trans girls are really girls" is not a straw man.
I take your question.

Last edited by Myles; 24th July 2019 at 09:04 PM.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 09:56 PM   #30
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,212
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Sigh.


It's always the same old stuff. Same, same, same. I just wish people would not pretend that they don't understand, and wouldn't repeat the same old straw men. That phrase "straw man" is way overused on ISF, but here, it is a perfect example. To be a true straw man, the arguer has to take a real argument, and substitute a similar argument, and then attack the substitute argument.

Here's an example:



Why is that a straw man? Because the actual argument made by the girls who wish for privacy is that they want some control over who sees them in a state of complete or partial undress. The issue is that the girls might be undressed and, while undressed, be seen by a male. What Bob (et. al.) has done above is to substitute that actual argument for a different argument. In the substitute argument, Bob (et. al.) has said that the girls object to what they might see, i.e. the substitute argument is that the girls do not want to see the male's penis.
Reread the OP. The OP posits that the issue is viewing male genitalia. I will even quote it for you.

Quote:
I don't blame them. Having to see male private prats is not something a young girl should have to experience.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:23 PM   #31
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19,230
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Reread the OP. The OP posits that the issue is viewing male genitalia. I will even quote it for you.
Fine. The OP also got caught up in the straw man. It's still a straw man. That makes Cainkaine1 part of "et. al.".

And maybe you weren't really part of the strawman at all, because in a true straw man, the person who presents the substitute argument is also the person who knocks it down. So, what you have done is fallen for the straw man and done the dirty work of knocking it down.

Who knows? Maybe Cainkane1 actually thinks that young girls should not see penises, although since they are high school girls, I'm not sure what that has to do with the story.


Regardless of who says it and who repeats it, the issue is that anyone who argues about seeing penises in the girls' restroom is arguing against at least two, and maybe more, straw men.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:26 PM   #32
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,212
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Fine. The OP also got caught up in the straw man. It's still a straw man. That makes Cainkaine1 part of "et. al.".

And maybe you weren't really part of the strawman at all, because in a true straw man, the person who presents the substitute argument is also the person who knocks it down. So, what you have done is fallen for the straw man and done the dirty work of knocking it down.

Who knows? Maybe Cainkane1 actually thinks that young girls should not see penises, although since they are high school girls, I'm not sure what that has to do with the story.


Regardless of who says it and who repeats it, the issue is that anyone who argues about seeing penises in the girls' restroom is arguing against at least two, and maybe more, straw men.
It would be a strawman if I made an argument against the OP's claim that wasn't actually their claim. They have a poorly supported.position, but it is still their position. The article is support for that position, not the position itself.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:31 PM   #33
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness
 
Silly Green Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,705
Why are kids getting naked in schools? I never did.
__________________
Normal is just a stereotype.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:35 PM   #34
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19,230
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It would be a strawman if I made an argument against the OP's claim that wasn't actually their claim. They have a poorly supported.position, but it is still their position. The article is support for that position, not the position itself.
Fine. You, personally, are not guilty of a straw man argument because you were arguing against an actual argument that was put forward in the OP.

Plenty of other people are, and they will continue to be. This thread will follow the same pattern that the other threads devoted to the same topic have followed.


ETA: And my post that you quoted was sufficiently recent that I could correct the record. You are absolved of straw-manning. Instead, you have responded to an argument made by someone who apparently did not understand why the protestors to which he referred were actually protesting.

Don't worry, though. Plenty of others will carry on the straw man, because they will not be so focused on the words of the OP, but rather on the general issue of whether or not transgirls ought to use female facilities in high schools, and in doing so, they will say that those girls shouldn't worry about seeing penises in rest rooms.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 24th July 2019 at 10:44 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 10:50 PM   #35
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19,230
Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Why are kids getting naked in schools? I never did.
I did. Everyone I grew up with did. People still do it at the gyms where I work out, although the young guys go more out of the way to keep at least partially covered up for as much time as they can. Damned if I can figure out kids these days.

Did you ever walk around in your underwear? I'm pretty sure that's still fairly common even today. And if not, then there's no need to have segregated locker rooms at all, and the question is moot.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 11:07 PM   #36
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 63,089
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Did you ever walk around in your underwear?
Not at school, I didn't.
__________________
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 11:21 PM   #37
ArchSas
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Why are kids getting naked in schools? I never did.
Same. During P.E. classes, everyone would generally get dressed and undressed as quickly as possible, while keeping underwear on, and not looking around at anything. In general, there was actually a stigma against getting naked or showering, and the idea of being naked in a locker room was dismissed as being "gay," because it meant that someone wanted to be naked around the other guys. The only people I remember actually doing it were the ultra jocks everyone want too scared to make fun of, and even then, it only happened maybe twice throughout all of junior high and high school for me. Having worked at a summer camp and been in charge of groups of 10-12 teenaged boys living together, it seems like that kind of attitude is still present, without the gay panic. At least, they always avoided being naked around each other, even during shower times. It wasn't even uncommon for kids to refuse to change clothes without a completely private space, or at least avoid it as much as they could.

Granted, in hindsight, my school experience was incredibly homophobic and oppressive; I don't condone that kind of attitude, but I also think most of it came more from people just feeling uncomfortable with being naked around other people than actual homophobia. My campers certainly framed it as entirely a privacy issue. Because of that stuff, it's hard for me to see being naked in a school as actually necessary. Or a locker room in general, really. For a while, I worked in a gym, exercised five days a week, and used the locker room all the time; the only people I ever saw naked were old guys that would just walk around nude for no reason (maybe this whole issue is raised by older people that had to get naked in school and are projecting?). Everyone else either stayed in their underwear or used a towel to cover up. The transphobia around this issue is, as always, unwarranted, and doesn't really present any kind of valid point. In general, I just think no one wants to be naked unnecessarily around strangers, which is understandable.

Last edited by ArchSas; 24th July 2019 at 11:25 PM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2019, 11:58 PM   #38
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19,230
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Not at school, I didn't.
If that's true for everyone, then there's no need for locker rooms at all.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 12:08 AM   #39
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 19,230
Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Why are kids getting naked in schools? I never did.
I realized that I didn't actually answer the question.

The reason that we got naked in school was because, sometimes, we were drenched in sweat at the end of gym class and we wanted to shower before we went into a classroom with girls.


Seriously. It happened. Badminton was the worst. Don't laugh. If you've ever played it to win, you know what I mean. If we didn't shower after playing badminton in gym class, we would have made life very unpleasant for our fellow students.


But that's really just an aside. If people don't take off their clothes in locker rooms these days, then there is no need for any locker room, and no need to decide who uses which one.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2019, 12:11 AM   #40
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8,316
Girls protesting boys who identify as girl using their restrooms and showers.

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post

Where does it say showers?!
Where does it say that they actually get to see penises (or "male private prats")?

Quote:
the relentless assault on nearly every civilizational institution by transgender activists
Teen girls stage school walkout to protest boys in their bathroom who claim to be ‘girls’ (LifeSite, April 15, 2019)

Really?! A "relentless assault"?! And "on nearly every civilizational institution"?!!! Will they be allowed to visit museums and libraries and use public transport next? The horror!


Don't go to Denmark!!! EVER!!! Or STAY INSIDE!!! Don't leave your hotel room!!!
Question about Denmark’s law regarding nudity on beaches (Reddit, 2018)

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
A penis isn't great looking

Speak for yourself, Bob!


ETA: For that matter, don't go to Scandinavia at all. Or Germany: Nudity in German hotel spas (Flyertalk.com)
Stay at home in the USA! The country seems to be made by prudes for prudes.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 25th July 2019 at 12:27 AM.
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.