ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 11th August 2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,499
Why are whites so overrepresented with re. to school shootings and spree killings?

It's funny how this is not discussed (more). Caucasians make up only slightly more than half of the US population, but are responsible for 90% of school shootings. Had it been scary blacks or Muslims who were that overrepresented, the discourse would have been dominated by discussion on what dark thoughts inherent in the African or muslim made them so to shoot up schools. Instead the debate is on non-specified mental illness, that old boogeyman, and silliness like whether rock, sorry, Dungeons and Dragons, sorry, video games cause these poor white teens, and for some reason only the white teens, to snap and kill their classmates. Funnily enough I have never once seemed the question raised if Doom or Call of Duty could turn poor innocent impressionable Muslim boys into frothing suicide bombers, or if all those poor suicide bombers are really just mentally ill.

So I suppose this a dual thread: why are we whites so overrepresented, and why is this not discussed more.

Could it have something to do with how we, as the majority in so many ways (male, white, in most cases heterosexual, etc.), lack the feeling of brotherhood and community that many oppressed/minority groups have by virtue of them being, well, oppressed minorities? Certainly, from the outside looking in (ie. as a white person), African-Americans seem to care more about each other, even across social classes, than we Caucasians. Just look at how we label those less fortunate than us "rednecks and hillbillies and distance ourselves from them. African-Americans seem to have "embraced" the fact that many of them are less well off in rap and hip-hop and other aspects of their popular culture. It's not us middle-class African-Americans and those dirty thugs living in ghettos, it's just us, African-Americans, fighting a common cause against racism and income inequality.

As for why it's not talked about, is it simply because whites are the majority and thus have a great deal of control over the conversation?
__________________
In choosing to support humanitarian organizations, it's best to choose those that do not have "militant wings" (Mycroft, 2013)
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:09 AM   #2
Mark F
Graduate Poster
 
Mark F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,725
Guns are about white privilege and power
__________________
So I'm going to tell you what the facts are, and the facts are the facts, but then we know the truth. That always overcomes facts.
Mark F is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:14 AM   #3
applecorped
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,621
time well spent
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:15 AM   #4
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Personally, I think it's because white men are constantly being told they're the source of all the world's problems.

They're "toxic". They are "oppressors". They're expected to excel, study hard, work every day, save money...and sit down and shut up when the rest of the world is griping because they "have all the power and privilege".
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Venom
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,741
First, can we stop using the word Caucasian to refer to Western European whites?

I think there could be some element of inspiration between these school shooters. The most iconic of which is probably the Columbine killers, though there were earlier, more obscure shooters like Charles Whitman and even a girl in the 1970s. But maybe lonely or jilted white guys feel a closeness by their skin color and gun culture.

But you've limited yourself to the U.S. and limited the discussion to school shootings only. If you include workplace murders, mass stabbings, bombings, arson, etc. you find the '90 percent whiteboys' statistic kinda hasty and narrow.

I think rampage mass murders in general are pretty proportional to the population, even if white guys are overrepresented in school shootings in particular. There is a lot we don't hear about in the national news, just because it isn't a high profile shooting or take place somewhere iconic.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:24 AM   #6
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
First, can we stop using the word Caucasian to refer to Western European whites?
Why?

Quote:
Cau·ca·sian
/kôˈkāZHən/
adjective
adjective: South Caucasian; adjective: North Caucasian
1.
North American
white-skinned; of European origin.
"twenty of the therapists were Caucasian, two were African American, and two were Hispanic"
dated
relating to one of the traditional divisions of humankind, covering a broad group of peoples from Europe, western Asia, and parts of India and North Africa.
adjective: Caucasian
2.
relating to the Caucasus.
3.
relating to or denoting a group of languages spoken in the region of the Caucasus, of which thirty-eight are known, many not committed to writing. The most widely spoken is Georgian, of the small South Caucasian family, not related to the three North Caucasian families.
noun
noun: Caucasian; plural noun: Caucasians
1.
North American
a white person; a person of European origin.
"the man is described as being a 50-year-old Caucasian with a full head of graying hair"
2.
a person from the Caucasus.
"the Caucasians of Southern Russia"
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:28 AM   #7
Venom
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,741
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
Why?
Cause they're not the same. It's outdated an inaccurate.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:33 AM   #8
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,133
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
Personally, I think it's because white men are constantly being told they're the source of all the world's problems.

They're "toxic". They are "oppressors". They're expected to excel, study hard, work every day, save money...and sit down and shut up when the rest of the world is griping because they "have all the power and privilege".
Yes, I agree. It's definitely everyone else's fault.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:36 AM   #9
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Cause they're not the same. It's outdated an inaccurate.
I suspect we could make the same claim about a lot of groups.

How many of our "African Americans" are actually African? How many of our Jewish population is genetic, vs converted? How many Native Americans are partly African, Hispanic, or Caucasion?

We don't want to strip their heritage or perceived identity, do we?

It's only the white peoples who are always in the wrong, regardless of the circumstances. Only the white peoples can don't have a place, even in the dictionary.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:40 AM   #10
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yes, I agree. It's definitely everyone else's fault.
That's not what I said, is it?


What is it about this forum lately, where the first argument is so often made by twisting the words of another poster?

No wonder the members are dropping out like flies.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:41 AM   #11
Venom
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,741
A similar trend can be observed in China with mass stabbings in place of firearms.

Six years before Newtown you had the Shiguan kindergarten massacre. Man apparently rejected by a kindergarten teacher doused the classroom with gasoline and set it on fire, killing 12 children.

On the same day as the Newtown attack there was mass stabbing in another elementary school in China. He too was allegedly rejected by a woman.

Then there's this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scho...010%E2%80%9312)

It's this mysterious male aggression or narcissism I think.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:49 AM   #12
Venom
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,741
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I suspect we could make the same claim about a lot of groups.

How many of our "African Americans" are actually African? How many of our Jewish population is genetic, vs converted? How many Native Americans are partly African, Hispanic, or Caucasion?

We don't want to strip their heritage or perceived identity, do we?

It's only the white peoples who are always in the wrong, regardless of the circumstances. Only the white peoples can don't have a place, even in the dictionary.
I call someone from the Caucasus Caucasian. They have a set of cultures distinct from that of Western Europe whites.

African-American I think is an intentionally broad label because we don't know exactly where their bloodline goes. I had a coworker from Zimbabwe. She's Zimbabwean-American, but most people just shorten it to black or African. That's lazy.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:52 AM   #13
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 16,186
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I suspect we could make the same claim about a lot of groups.

How many of our "African Americans" are actually African? How many of our Jewish population is genetic, vs converted? How many Native Americans are partly African, Hispanic, or Caucasion?

We don't want to strip their heritage or perceived identity, do we?

It's only the white peoples who are always in the wrong, regardless of the circumstances. Only the white peoples can don't have a place, even in the dictionary.
There is no such ethnic group.
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:54 AM   #14
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
It's this mysterious male aggression or narcissism I think.
Rejection hurts everyone.

Lots of women also lash out after a breakup, although we're less likely to end lives doing it. That might be partly because far fewer women see mass destruction as a "cleanse" or an "opportunity to start over"?

Little girl builds a tower of blocks then plays around it all day; little boy builds a tower, then knocks it over because seeing it fall is satisfying, too.

How do we prepare people for breakups so they don't feel like rejection is the end of their worlds?
How do we remove the element of perceived satisfaction from scorched Earth acts?
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:56 AM   #15
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,515
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Cause they're not the same. It's outdated an inaccurate.
"Caucasion" is a widely used and recognized term for light skinned people of European ancestry, and you're correct it's defined as such in the dictionary. But dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive.

The origins of that use of the term are in early pseudoscience racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race#Etymology

So I wouldn't mind if it stopped being used.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:57 AM   #16
ArchSas
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 134
In part, I think it's just seen as a normal cultural response by some angry young white men. There's a reason why the vast majority of spree killers research previous spree killers. The cultural narrative has now become that a certain group of people does this (and gets attention for it), which means that, for lack of a better term, it's become a normalized phenomena for said group. Because the perpetrators get attenton for their actions, if a person feels alienated, such an action becomes one of the "normal" ways to get the response they want. It's sort of like how most bigfoot sightings look like Patty, or how most alien abductees describe Greys. Or, perhaps even more appropriately, how schizophrenic hallucinations and delusions can vary widely depending on the culture of the sufferer.

People react to the world the way culture tells them to react. If the narrative is that young, angry men lash out and kill people in spree killings, that groups starts to see it as a possible response to their situation. Obviously, it's not the only factor (the stochastic terrorism angle also being hugely important), but it's worth bringing up.

Source summarizing the research of spree killers, for the interested: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/h...al-health.html

Last edited by ArchSas; 11th August 2019 at 10:22 AM.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 09:58 AM   #17
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
There is no such ethnic group.
Genetically, I suspect you're right. However, I believe that as the dictionary has assigned the Caucasian entry to cover white people from Europe, North America and Russia, it remains correct.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 10:04 AM   #18
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
I think it's just seen as a normal cultural response by some angry young white men.
What are we doing to cause these acts to seem "normal" to anyone?

Why are young white men angry? I've put forward my hypothesis, but I'm sure it's a complicated issue with many reasons. But if we take away the anger, does the killing stop?

Quote:
Because the perpetrators get attenton for their actions
I do agree with this. If we all -every single one of us- choose to take the focus off the acts, and stop giving notoriety to these creeps, the ones currently watching in awe will find something else to fascinate and this trend will quietly fade away.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 10:20 AM   #19
Ryokan
Insert something funny here
 
Ryokan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 10,057
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
"Caucasion" is a widely used and recognized term for light skinned people of European ancestry, and you're correct it's defined as such in the dictionary. But dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive.

The origins of that use of the term are in early pseudoscience racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race#Etymology

So I wouldn't mind if it stopped being used.
It's widely used in the US. The origin of the term comes from horribly outdated racial theories. I agree people should stop using it, but sadly I think the term is so ingrained in the US that it's impossible.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 10:44 AM   #20
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
It's widely used in the US. The origin of the term comes from horribly outdated racial theories. I agree people should stop using it, but sadly I think the term is so ingrained in the US that it's impossible.

Quote:
The origins of that use of the term are in early pseudoscience racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race#Etymology

By this reasoning, white men don't exist and they can't possibly be over represented by any statistic whatsoever.

Why are we blaming white people for anything at all?
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 10:59 AM   #21
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 16,186
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
By this reasoning, white men don't exist and they can't possibly be over represented by any statistic whatsoever.

Why are we blaming white people for anything at all?
Because they are not an ethnically homogenous group.

The Boston bomber has no ethnic similarity to the El Paso shooter.
__________________
Then let the way appear, steps unto heav'n.
All that thou sendest me, in mercy giv'n.'
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:05 AM   #22
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Because they are not an ethnically homogenous group.

The Boston bomber has no ethnic similarity to the El Paso shooter.
That, to me, implies there is no cultural cause. More shooters are white because more people who can afford guns are white.

Give more black men guns, and we'll see more black shooters. Ditto with Native Americans, Hispanics, etc.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:08 AM   #23
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,515
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
By this reasoning, white men don't exist and they can't possibly be over represented by any statistic whatsoever.

Why are we blaming white people for anything at all?
I don't follow your reasoning.

And I think you're mischaracterizing this thread if you're thinking about it in terms of "blaming white people".

The origins of grouping people by race and the terms and ideas used to do so were not scientific, not objective somewhat arbitrary, and racist as hell.

But the legacy of those conventions created groupings of people who have different experiences and different outcomes.

We can't ignore the practical reality of those groups, but we can reject taking the originators of the system at face value and validating their terms.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:20 AM   #24
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I don't follow your reasoning.

And I think you're mischaracterizing this thread if you're thinking about it in terms of "blaming white people".
The subject is: Why are whites so overrepresented with re. to school shootings and spree killings?

Quote:
The origins of grouping people by race and the terms and ideas used to do so were not scientific, not objective somewhat arbitrary, and racist as hell.

But the legacy of those conventions created groupings of people who have different experiences and different outcomes.
So....race doesn't exist.

Until something goes wrong; then it's the fault of white people, because somehow they're the only ones who have the experiences that lead to the problematic outcomes. Got it!


I think....

Quote:
We can't ignore the practical reality of those groups, but we can reject taking the originators of the system at face value and validating their terms.
Whaddya know...I, a white person, was wrong again!

More guns in the hands of blacks won't lead to more black shooters because ___________.

I have no idea what goes on that line. Do you?
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One

Last edited by DragonLady; 11th August 2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: codes
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:47 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,869
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
It's funny how this is not discussed (more). Caucasians make up only slightly more than half of the US population, but are responsible for 90% of school shootings. Had it been scary blacks or Muslims who were that overrepresented, the discourse would have been dominated by discussion on what dark thoughts inherent in the African or muslim made them so to shoot up schools. Instead the debate is on non-specified mental illness, that old boogeyman, and silliness like whether rock, sorry, Dungeons and Dragons, sorry, video games cause these poor white teens, and for some reason only the white teens, to snap and kill their classmates. Funnily enough I have never once seemed the question raised if Doom or Call of Duty could turn poor innocent impressionable Muslim boys into frothing suicide bombers, or if all those poor suicide bombers are really just mentally ill.



So I suppose this a dual thread: why are we whites so overrepresented, and why is this not discussed more.



Could it have something to do with how we, as the majority in so many ways (male, white, in most cases heterosexual, etc.), lack the feeling of brotherhood and community that many oppressed/minority groups have by virtue of them being, well, oppressed minorities? Certainly, from the outside looking in (ie. as a white person), African-Americans seem to care more about each other, even across social classes, than we Caucasians. Just look at how we label those less fortunate than us "rednecks and hillbillies and distance ourselves from them. African-Americans seem to have "embraced" the fact that many of them are less well off in rap and hip-hop and other aspects of their popular culture. It's not us middle-class African-Americans and those dirty thugs living in ghettos, it's just us, African-Americans, fighting a common cause against racism and income inequality.



As for why it's not talked about, is it simply because whites are the majority and thus have a great deal of control over the conversation?
One most black crime is black on black crime. So much for your white fantasy of the noble savage. They're people, just like the rest of us.

And the explanation for blacks being over represented in crime stats is the same reason whites are over represented in mass shootings: Institutionalized oppression.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 11:56 AM   #26
Jan S
New Blood
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Your question is biased. You say school shootings vs. Total Shootings. That conveniently excludes every weekend in Chicago etc.
Jan S is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:08 PM   #27
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness
 
Silly Green Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,704
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
What are we doing to cause these acts to seem "normal" to anyone?
'Normal' doesn't mean 'right' or 'proper', it's like the mean. Outliers affect the mean, so it's not 'we' making spree killing normal, it's the spree killers. The sprees are also well publicized, over and above any other outlet a unhappy man would have available. Given that Chinese men are also spree killing it's not a Caucasian failing, but it may be male. It may also be 'dominant ethnic group' male, because Caucasians are dominant ethnically in the US but Chinese are dominant in China.
__________________
Normal is just a stereotype.

Last edited by Silly Green Monkey; 11th August 2019 at 12:09 PM.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:22 PM   #28
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
'Normal' doesn't mean 'right' or 'proper', it's like the mean. Outliers affect the mean, so it's not 'we' making spree killing normal, it's the spree killers. The sprees are also well publicized, over and above any other outlet a unhappy man would have available. Given that Chinese men are also spree killing it's not a Caucasian failing, but it may be male. It may also be 'dominant ethnic group' male, because Caucasians are dominant ethnically in the US but Chinese are dominant in China.

Okay; I think those are both good points.

A few days ago I read something...and may have linked to it here somewhere?...about the behaviors of dominant males, and how they differ from the behaviors of the other males in a culture or in a geographical area.

That suggests to me that we should soon start seeing far more of these shooters from other large ethnicities here in the USA, as the overall demographic changes.

Do we have evidence to suggest that is happening?
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:28 PM   #29
pipelineaudio
Illuminator
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,276
In B4 "White Powder"
__________________
Don't fear the REAPER, embrace it
pipelineaudio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:29 PM   #30
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,313
Originally Posted by Jan S View Post
Your question is biased. You say school shootings vs. Total Shootings. That conveniently excludes every weekend in Chicago etc.
You are correct. The op’s post excludes every shooting except those that occur at schools. Because school shootings are what the op wishes to discuss. If you would like to discuss shootings in Chicago you can go to the appropriate thread, or start one of your own.

If you start a thread about shootings in Chicago and a poster accuses you of conveniently excluding shootings in Rio de Janeiro would you consider that response to be reasonable?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:36 PM   #31
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
In B4 "White Powder"
?

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Can you explain the reference?
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:39 PM   #32
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
It may also be 'dominant ethnic group' male,
Thinking on this a bit more...maybe I'm mistaken, but I usually get the distinct impression school shooters see themselves as outcasts in almost every sense.

It seems unlikely they're acting this way because it's a dominant male thing, and more likely because it's a non-dominate male thing...in which case, we should still see far more from other ethnic groups -especially those who are considered oppressed.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 12:51 PM   #33
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,975
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
It's funny how this is not discussed (more). Caucasians make up only slightly more than half of the US population, but are responsible for 90% of school shootings. Had it been scary blacks or Muslims who were that overrepresented, the discourse would have been dominated by discussion on what dark thoughts inherent in the African or muslim made them so to shoot up schools. Instead the debate is on non-specified mental illness, that old boogeyman, and silliness like whether rock, sorry, Dungeons and Dragons, sorry, video games cause these poor white teens, and for some reason only the white teens, to snap and kill their classmates. Funnily enough I have never once seemed the question raised if Doom or Call of Duty could turn poor innocent impressionable Muslim boys into frothing suicide bombers, or if all those poor suicide bombers are really just mentally ill.

So I suppose this a dual thread: why are we whites so overrepresented, and why is this not discussed more.

Could it have something to do with how we, as the majority in so many ways (male, white, in most cases heterosexual, etc.), lack the feeling of brotherhood and community that many oppressed/minority groups have by virtue of them being, well, oppressed minorities? Certainly, from the outside looking in (ie. as a white person), African-Americans seem to care more about each other, even across social classes, than we Caucasians. Just look at how we label those less fortunate than us "rednecks and hillbillies and distance ourselves from them. African-Americans seem to have "embraced" the fact that many of them are less well off in rap and hip-hop and other aspects of their popular culture. It's not us middle-class African-Americans and those dirty thugs living in ghettos, it's just us, African-Americans, fighting a common cause against racism and income inequality.

As for why it's not talked about, is it simply because whites are the majority and thus have a great deal of control over the conversation?
I realise you are highlighting mass shootings, but I thought gun deaths were massively disproportionate the other way with african american people shooting each other in the US.

But yes. It is odd that when it comes to mass shootings, your white males do seem to feature an ugly amount.
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:14 PM   #34
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,087
Preface: I'm discussing the US, and I assume the rest of us are as well, since other countries don't have much of a mass murder via gun problem.

First, the common cause: anger towards women. This is the single thing that the vast majority of mass murderers have in common, they write about how they hate women, they badly abuse the women in their lives, or they are enraged that women reject them.

The second factor: um, these pseudo-military AR-15s? The horde of high-capacity magazines? These are expensive. You need a decent amount of money sitting around to get your hands on these, and a handgun simply won't do the sheer damage to a human body that these weapons will. And which racial group has the most wealth? Note, I said wealth, not income - a pot of money they can freely draw on? Well, it's white people, and that's by design.

Third, about this hokum:

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
They're "toxic". They are "oppressors". They're expected to excel, study hard, work every day, save money...and sit down and shut up when the rest of the world is griping because they "have all the power and privilege".
This is, of course, an absurd misread of concepts like "toxic masculinity" (a type of masculinity that is harmful to the person that embraces it instead of a more healthy form of masculinity) and the US history of white men oppressing others. However, it's what many people are *told* these ideas are about - much like Hispanic immigration becomes an "invasion, it's an invasion" meant to "replace" white people. Ironically, instead of looking for a healthy form of masculinity, men are told that everyone considers them "toxic", and then encouraged to embrace toxic forms of masculinity even more strongly, by talk radio, chan forums, and some corners of social media sites. This is much like a retiree turning from a friendly, happy person to a person filled with anger and hatred by watching Fox News for hours every day.

Now, we have a group of people with easy access to high-damage, high-capacity guns, who have been encouraged to think that society hates them (society really, really doesn't hate white men at all, compared to Latinx, Black, and Native men), and who (in the case of abusive men) are already violent towards those close to them. Put these together, and you have a group that's going to be most likely to go one one of these high death count shooting sprees.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:34 PM   #35
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
First, the common cause: anger towards women. This is the single thing that the vast majority of mass murderers have in common, they write about how they hate women, they badly abuse the women in their lives, or they are enraged that women reject them.
This is a good point. I do agree that hatred toward women seems to be a commonality. Is it only toward females? Is it a hatred of mother figures or romantic figures?
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:40 PM   #36
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,203
Originally Posted by Jan S View Post
Your question is biased. You say school shootings vs. Total Shootings. That conveniently excludes every weekend in Chicago etc.
"Every weekend in Chicago" is probably more about the underlying crime than about disaffected people with motives based on revenge for some perceived slight, or racial politics.

I think the OP misses a point about school shootings is that they are part of a wider problem... they are simply spree killings in schools. Even if you widen the criteria to include spree killings such as El Paso TX, Dayton OH, Charleston SC, Las Vegas NV, Sutherland Springs TX, Killeen TX, Orlando FL, San Ysidro CA, San Bernardino CA, then you are looking at a more relevant picture. Not all, but most, and well over 70% of these types of spree shootings are perpetrated by white males.

This is the uncomfortable truth that many white males (especially those holding racial animus towards people of colour) don't want to acknowledge or talk about.
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore - if they're white!"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th August 2019 at 02:11 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:56 PM   #37
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,913
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
It's widely used in the US. The origin of the term comes from horribly outdated racial theories. I agree people should stop using it, but sadly I think the term is so ingrained in the US that it's impossible.
It's a boomer term that I rarely hear these days. I surmise the justification for the term, along with "African-Americans," was some hare-brained attempt to "not think about color"
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 01:58 PM   #38
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
This is, of course, an absurd misread of concepts like "toxic masculinity" (a type of masculinity that is harmful to the person that embraces it instead of a more healthy form of masculinity) and the US history of white men oppressing others.
I see your point; however I think the distinction becomes less apparent every day.

A quick Google turns up evidence of a wide range of problems being attributed to: ? what, exactly, if not the very existence of white men.

Witness:

Quote:
Don Lemon, a CNN anchorman, said, “We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them.”
https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/01/...e-heres-proof/

Quote:
Steven Clifford, author and former CEO of the King Broadcasting Company and National Mobile Television, told PJM that the federal government should “prohibit straight white males from voting” in U.S. elections as a way to “save” democracy.
“I think it’s the only hope for democracy in America and I will be leading a great movement to prohibit straight white males, who I believe supported Donald Trump by about 85 percent, from exercising the franchise and I think that will save our democracy,” Clifford said during an interview after speaking at the forum “Destroying the Myths of Market Fundamentalism,” which was organized by the Center for Study of Responsive Law – a group former independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader founded in 1968.
https://247sports.com/college/auburn...You-124083484/

Of course, there are those who just hate white people:

Quote:
You lie and lie and lie on a massive scale and cover up the lies, protect the liars, rehire the liars, and elect the liars because *shrug* everybody lies.
https://theestablishment.co/white-pe...493/index.html

But I realize that's beyond the scope of the topic. I think setting aside the questions of race and culture, we have men killing men, women, and children as part of planned suicide runs, and to start to solve the problem we have to identify the genuine reasons it's happening.

And if we're lying to ourselves about the underlying issues, it's time for the truth to wash to the surface, where we all need to face it.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 02:27 PM   #39
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 44,031
There are disaffected and angry young white men prone to violence in many countries. The difference is they don’t have such easy access to guns.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2019, 02:31 PM   #40
mgidm86
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,526
Mumbles mentioned something I was wondering about. Money for weapons.

But black gangs have access to all kinds of weapons, they simply steal many of them rather than buy them, so I'm not sure money for weapons is it. Even if all they had were pistols they still could shoot a lot of people at a school, but they don't.

But then that's just gang members. It doesn't take an expensive gun for any kid to shoot up a school so that really isn't stopping them.

Maybe they have bigger or different concerns in their lives than whatever these white kids have. Maybe these white kids are the spoiled millennials I love to hate, raised like babies until they're old enough to realize that mommy didn't prepare them for the real world.

I think that a lot of these kids choose to shoot rather than other means of "expression" because they see that they can be big stars on the internet and TV if they take out enough people. They're young and possibly stupid/mentally disturbed enough to think that way I suppose. This reminds me of the Boston Bomber's glamour shot on the cover of Rolling Stone.

I mean they write frickin manifestos now. They obviously want/need attention and want people to know their names. Blaze of glory.

They see all the hate the news media loves to report on. They may see nothing positive these days and they see adults hating each other more than ever too. So many crises - what's a kid to do?

Someone above said something that I think amounts to "It's the thing to do these days" for these kids. That too. Maybe it's just what angry white kids do. But the fact that mostly white kids do this - still not answered. I'll go back to the "millennials had crappy parents" thing as the only outlier I can think of.

I'm so glad I grew up when I did.
__________________
Franklin understands certain kickbacks you obtain unfairly are legal liabilities; however, a risky deed's almost never detrimental despite extra external pressures.

Last edited by mgidm86; 11th August 2019 at 02:34 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.