ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th August 2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Smile TO BE OR NOT TO BE

We live, think, act, that is positive; we die, and that's no less right. Leaving Earth, where are we going? What will we become? Will we be better or worse? Will we be or won't we? To be or not to be, such is the alternative; it is forever or never; it is all or nothing: either we will live forever, or it will all end without return. It's well worth thinking about.
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 01:44 PM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
We live, think, act, that is positive; we die, and that's no less right. Leaving Earth, where are we going? What will we become? Will we be better or worse? Will we be or won't we? To be or not to be, such is the alternative; it is forever or never; it is all or nothing: either we will live forever, or it will all end without return. It's well worth thinking about.
We live, we live, we are reborn.

Knowledge is the driver of understanding. Nothing is impossible.

Although you may not realize it, you are non-dual.

The dreamtime is calling to you via transmissions. Can you hear it? Indigo Child, look within and awaken yourself. If you have never experienced this source inherent in nature, it can be difficult to live.

Delusion is the antithesis of interconnectedness. You may be ruled by yearning without realizing it. Do not let it shatter the deeper meaning of your story. Illusion is born in the gap where divinity has been excluded.

Without purpose, one cannot self-actualize. The complexity of the present time seems to demand a condensing of our hopes if we are going to survive.

We can no longer afford to live with illusion.

We are in the midst of a powerful unveiling of divinity that will give us access to the nexus itself.

Have you found your myth? It can be difficult to know where to begin. How should you navigate this ancient dreamtime?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 01:53 PM   #3
8enotto
Muse

I am not sure I fully understood all of that first read. But I do like how it can say so much and so little with different eyes.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:17 PM   #4
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
These are the questions we ask. But who will answer? Who will search Google for us? Did you know the color purple does not really exist? Who was better, Darrin 1 or Darrin 2? Is there cheese? What is that buzzing sound? Seriously, that's annoying.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:29 PM   #5
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We live, we live, we are reborn.

Knowledge is the driver of understanding. Nothing is impossible.

Although you may not realize it, you are non-dual.

The dreamtime is calling to you via transmissions. Can you hear it? Indigo Child, look within and awaken yourself. If you have never experienced this source inherent in nature, it can be difficult to live.

Delusion is the antithesis of interconnectedness. You may be ruled by yearning without realizing it. Do not let it shatter the deeper meaning of your story. Illusion is born in the gap where divinity has been excluded.

Without purpose, one cannot self-actualize. The complexity of the present time seems to demand a condensing of our hopes if we are going to survive.

We can no longer afford to live with illusion.

We are in the midst of a powerful unveiling of divinity that will give us access to the nexus itself.

Have you found your myth? It can be difficult to know where to begin. How should you navigate this ancient dreamtime?
Bob Newhart nailed it

Quote:
To Be Or Not To Be, That Is the Gazorninplat

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:29 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

You know, I recently had the very same dilemma when starting a new art project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8466.jpg (148.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 12th August 2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

No doubts here ! Definitely 2B.

Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:36 PM   #8
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
These are the questions we ask. But who will answer?
Any poster here.

Who will search Google for us?
LMGTFY.com

Did you know the color purple does not really exist?
Yes it does. It's a movie. Whoopi got an oscar.

Who was better, Darrin 1 or Darrin 2?
Terminator 2.

Is there cheese?
Wallace and Grommit agree there is. Who are we to disagree with their wisdom?

What is that buzzing sound?
Bruce Campbell.

Seriously, that's annoying.
It will stop when Bruce finds you....from your point of view.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:42 PM   #9
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I've figured it all out. Send me 50 cents (American) and I will mail it to you on a post card.

Oh, you may need to buy a magnifier to read it; I had to write small.

Last edited by Giordano; 12th August 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 02:46 PM   #10
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

These are the questions we ask. But who will answer? Who will search Google for us? Did you know the color purple does not really exist? Who was better, Darrin 1 or Darrin 2? Is there cheese? What is that buzzing sound? Seriously, that's annoying.
Oh, I am convinced that purple really exists but the question is if I "see" purple the same way you "see" purple or as other people "see" purple? If not it may explain why my wife laughs at me when I chose which clothing to wear.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:04 PM   #11
Thor 2
Philosopher

I have a feeling this may be leading to a sell of some religious hocus-pocus.
Old 12th August 2019, 03:11 PM   #12
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Suppose, under any circumstance, that a whole people were certain that in eight days, in a month, in a year, and if they would, they would be annihilated, and no individual would survive, that there would be no mark of themselves afterwards. of death; What will you do during this time? Will you work for your improvement, for your education? Will you give in to work for a living? Will you respect the rights, property, life of your fellow men? Will you submit to the laws, to whatever authority, even the most legitimate paternal authority? Will you have any duty to yourself? Certainly not. Well! What is not achieved en masse, the doctrine of nihilism accomplishes it each day in isolation.
Ricardo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:22 PM   #13
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Not my nihilism!

gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:26 PM   #14
winter salt
Critical Thinker

When I used to be religious...
I was convinced that an eternal hell was still a manifestation of the compassion of a creator-god since to be nothing was the most difficult thought to bear. And to be was the ultimate gift.
I was made believe so.
But when I saw some living beings (a scorpion killing himself when encircled with flame) and some humans commit suicide from physical or emotional pain I started doubting..

Today, I often (daily) question if I have a good reason to be.

Last edited by winter salt; 12th August 2019 at 03:28 PM.
winter salt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:34 PM   #15
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Reason ? Isn't that your parents fricking ?
Purpose ? Whatever you make it, I like 'curiosity'.
Meaning ? Sorry, I have nothing.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:38 PM   #16
winter salt
Critical Thinker

Suppose, under any circumstance, that a whole people were certain that in eight days, in a month, in a year, and if they would, they would be annihilated, and no individual would survive, that there would be no mark of themselves afterwards. of death; What will you do during this time? Will you work for your improvement, for your education? Will you give in to work for a living? Will you respect the rights, property, life of your fellow men? Will you submit to the laws, to whatever authority, even the most legitimate paternal authority? Will you have any duty to yourself? Certainly not. Well! What is not achieved en masse, the doctrine of nihilism accomplishes it each day in isolation.
Is that the key word ?
Because I've never been this isolated in my life as I'm this year.
And the debates about morality, politics, sports, society, almost everything seem redundant.
So I must be becoming a nihilist.

Last edited by winter salt; 12th August 2019 at 03:42 PM.
winter salt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 03:48 PM   #17
8enotto
Muse

Purpose is to show my son how to survive and thrive in his world.

Meaning, screw that, I am having to much fun winging it as we go along.

I am the present, my father was the past, my son is the future. We all get a turn at greatness or at least an attempt. I failed but it doesn't matter. It has been a fun ride and it's not done yet.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 04:09 PM   #18
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

It cannot be dissimulated that skepticism, doubt, indifference, each day, gain ground, despite the efforts of religion; This is positive. If religion is powerless against unbelief, it is lacking something to combat it, so that if it remains in stillness, at a given time it will be unfailingly outdated. What he lacks in this century of positivism, when one wants to understand before believing, is the sanction of his doctrines by the positive facts; It is also the agreement of certain doctrines with the positive data of science. If she says white and facts say black, then one must choose between evidence and blind faith.
Old 12th August 2019, 04:31 PM   #19
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

blind faith.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Old 12th August 2019, 05:00 PM   #20
Apathia
Philosopher

"I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was a I meant to be."

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 05:02 PM   #21
winter salt
Critical Thinker

It cannot be dissimulated that skepticism, doubt, indifference, each day, gain ground, despite the efforts of religion; This is positive. If religion is powerless against unbelief, it is lacking something to combat it, so that if it remains in stillness, at a given time it will be unfailingly outdated. What he lacks in this century of positivism, when one wants to understand before believing, is the sanction of his doctrines by the positive facts; It is also the agreement of certain doctrines with the positive data of science. If she says white and facts say black, then one must choose between evidence and blind faith.
But why did you boil the topic down to religion, everybody was waiting for it and you did it. Wait till Joe Morgue comes back.
I was hoping that topics that were in the domain of religion could be shown to be debatable without having to deal with them.
You turned it into theology.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:43 PM   #22
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Everyone is free, no doubt, in their belief, in believing in something or in believing in nothing; but those who seek to prevail, in the minds of the masses, the negation of the future in the minds of the masses, relying on the authority of their knowledge or the ascendancy of their position, sow the germs of disturbance and dissolution in society, and incur a big responsibility.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:45 PM   #23
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Do you still believe that there is no life after death?
Old 12th August 2019, 06:14 PM   #24
winter salt
Critical Thinker

There's a difference between "believing in nothing" and not believing in something, "believing that there's no life after death" and not believing that there's a life after death..

You seem to be aware of these..

Last edited by winter salt; 12th August 2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12th August 2019, 06:39 PM   #25
winter salt
Critical Thinker

Everyone is free, no doubt, in their belief, in believing in something or in believing in nothing; but those who seek to prevail, in the minds of the masses, the negation of the future in the minds of the masses, relying on the authority of their knowledge or the ascendancy of their position, sow the germs of disturbance and dissolution in society, and incur a big responsibility.
So to avoid this disturbance and damage to the society what do you recommend that I believe ?
I guess you already said I can believe anything or nothing, you're just taking an issue with when I influence the minds of the masses..
Should I be punished for the big responsibility that I'll incur ? What is my punishment ?
What knowledge do these people rely on in this crime?
Why is their position ascendant ?

Last edited by winter salt; 12th August 2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12th August 2019, 06:41 PM   #26
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

I would go as far as I'd say I am quite sure of it. Life after death just makes no sense, outside of wishful thinking.
Old 12th August 2019, 06:41 PM   #27
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

"Belief" is a method of thought and nothing more. But the act of believing is rewarded the status of a virtue from the like-minded.

Quote:
I mean, say what you want about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos.

Old 12th August 2019, 07:17 PM   #28
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
I would go as far as I'd say I am quite sure of it. Life after death just makes no sense, outside of wishful thinking.
Why don't you believe in life after death?
Old 12th August 2019, 07:20 PM   #29
Ricardo
Critical Thinker

Whatever the consequences, if nihilism were a truth, it would have to be accepted, and it would be neither contrary systems nor the thought of the evil that might result from it that might not.
Old 12th August 2019, 08:01 PM   #30
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You do realise that the "to be or not to be" soliloquy in Hamlet was about the protagonist contemplating suicide, right?

Quote:
To be, or not to be, that is the question,
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd.
Of course, he is interrupted by Ophelia before he can make a decision.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2019, 11:39 PM   #31
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Why don’t you believe in the fairies at the bottom of the garden?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 01:01 AM   #32
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Definition.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 03:28 AM   #33
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Why should I ? Besides 'it's comfortable' ?
Old 13th August 2019, 04:11 AM   #34
Belz...
Fiend God

Just to note: the point of the Shakespeare quote is whether one should commit suicide.

Oh, I want to. But there's no evidence.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 04:44 AM   #35
Lothian
should be banned

I think I would prioritise stopping the creaking noise on my back gate.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 04:58 AM   #36
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Suppose, under any circumstance, that a whole people were certain that in eight days, in a month, in a year, and if they would, they would be annihilated, and no individual would survive, that there would be no mark of themselves afterwards. of death;
I would pose the question, how could they be so certain?

What will you do during this time? Will you work for your improvement, for your education? Will you give in to work for a living? Will you respect the rights, property, life of your fellow men? Will you submit to the laws, to whatever authority, even the most legitimate paternal authority?
Yes, to all the above, because I've lived my whole life on that basis despite being reasonably certain that it would end and I would no longer exist. Living that way makes me content.

Will you have any duty to yourself? Certainly not.
This conclusion is unsupported by evidence. That which may be asserted without evidence, may be dismissed without evidence.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 05:05 AM   #37
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

TO BE OR NOT TO BE

Quoting Shakespeare huh!

You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.

"taH pagh taHbe'"
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2019, 05:09 AM   #38
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad

Of course there's life after death. There's been death for three and a half billion years, but there's still plenty of life.

Whether or not there's life after death probably isn't the question you really wanted to ask. Try to be more precise, and define your terms.

For instance, if what you think you mean is "does my life continue after my death," don't forget to clarify for example what exactly you think constitutes your life, and what makes it yours. You might find it's more difficult to frame the question coherently than you expected.
Old 13th August 2019, 06:05 AM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Whether there is or isn't an afterlife there's nothing we can do about it either way, so why worry about it? Deal with it when it happens.
Old 13th August 2019, 07:18 AM   #40
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Whether there is or isn't an afterlife there's nothing we can do about it either way, so why worry about it? Deal with it when it happens.
Well most religions claim you should worry about it a lot, because what you are doing now will have effect on what will happen then.
And the most important thing is to choose the right religion, as following wrong one leads to bad afterlife for sure.
Some amount of aggresivity is clearly needed so the religion can survive the competition with other religions.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy