ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:05 AM   #121
Joe Random
Master Poster

If schools insist on teaching religion they need to stick to teaching about the man who died so that others might live.

Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 01:04 PM   #122
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Not if you believe your entire purpose is only due to god/religion. Haven't you heard people say "how can atheists be moral" or some such nonsense? These types need to be spoon-fed how to live their life.
That might be true, except that the bible doesn't define murder. So it comes down to whatever we decide it is.
Old 8th November 2019, 01:23 PM   #123
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
That might be true, except that the bible doesn't define murder. So it comes down to whatever we decide it is.
And the Bible contains the word "fryingpan" but not the word "democracy". Strange isn't it?
Old 10th November 2019, 05:22 PM   #124
The Common Potato
Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
And the Bible contains the word "fryingpan" but not the word "democracy". Strange isn't it?
I occasionally use a wok as a frying pan. It's all noodle related. (Lapsed Catholic, went to Catholic school, used to visit Lewes to see where Catholics (not real ones) are burned annually.)

Last edited by The Common Potato; 10th November 2019 at 05:34 PM.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 10:04 PM   #125
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
why is Islam taught in AMerican public schools when prayer is not allowed?
Do you remember when you were young and your parents made you eat all of your Lima Beans?

For Liberals, it's kinda' like that ...

It builds character. You'll just have to trust us ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 03:45 PM   #126
Cris
Banned

good question
Cris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 05:07 PM   #127
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Do you remember when you were young and your parents made you eat all of your Lima Beans?

I remember that! Now I won't touch them.

They made me go to church, too.....
Old 11th November 2019, 05:27 PM   #128
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 12th November 2019, 01:34 PM   #129
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Why is chemistry taught in AMerican public schools when building atom bombs is not allowed?

I can't understand why it's okay for children to hear about more branches of science than nuclear physics, yet seemingly school is not the place to carry out their nuclear weapons program.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 04:52 PM   #130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Why do you need a commandment against murder? Isn't murder wrong, basically by definition?

Yes.but you still need a actual law against it.
Ten Commandments is supposed to be the basic moral law of Judaism; I see why they would include the most basic statements.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 12th November 2019 at 04:54 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 04:56 PM   #131
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What is amusing to some of the "King James Version Only" fundies have based doctrines not on what the bible in the original languages say,but on the accident of what the Elizabethan language of the KJV said.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 08:48 PM   #132
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What is amusing to some of the "King James Version Only" fundies have based doctrines not on what the bible in the original languages say,but on the accident of what the Elizabethan language of the KJV said.
And more. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" has a particularly interesting source. (Purportedly. I'm not willing to track it down.)
Old 13th November 2019, 07:08 AM   #133
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Yes.but you still need a actual law against it.
Ten Commandments is supposed to be the basic moral law of Judaism; I see why they would include the most basic statements.
Would murder be acceptable if there isn't a law against it?

If it's not illegal, is it murder?
Old 13th November 2019, 08:09 AM   #134
ahhell
Master Poster

Would murder be acceptable if there isn't a law against it?

Not really. That's basically the difference between murder and killing.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:17 AM   #135
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Agreeing with post above. No, it's not. Illegal killing is pretty much how every dictionary defines murder. Although they may say "unlawful", or "as prescribed by law" instead of literally using the word illegal. Illegal is built in to the definition of the word.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:36 AM   #136
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Agreeing with post above. No, it's not. Illegal killing is pretty much how every dictionary defines murder. Although they may say "unlawful", or "as prescribed by law" instead of literally using the word illegal. Illegal is built in to the definition of the word.
But "wrong" isn't.
Old 13th November 2019, 08:46 AM   #137
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Cris View Post
good question
It's not a good question; it's a completely inaccurate question, as has been pointed out several times in the thread. Prayer is not banned in American schools, and learning about world religions (including Islam) is not the same thing as indoctrination.

Teachers in US public schools cannot MAKE students pray. Students are welcome to pray on their own any old damn time they want.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:57 AM   #138
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
But "wrong" isn't.
Yes it is. Not sure why you said that. Murder is a subset of wrongful death. All murders are wrongful deaths, not all wrongful deaths are murders.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:58 AM   #139
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Teachers in US public schools cannot MAKE students pray. Students are welcome to pray on their own any old damn time they want.
Well, mostly. They can't stand up in the middle of class, interrupt the teacher, and start praying out loud...but that has nothing to do with it being a prayer .

But yeah, at lunch, or recess, or between classes, or when they have downtime in class (assuming they aren't disruptive of others) they can if they want to.
Old 13th November 2019, 09:04 AM   #140
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Well, mostly. They can't stand up in the middle of class, interrupt the teacher, and start praying out loud...but that has nothing to do with it being a prayer .

But yeah, at lunch, or recess, or between classes, or when they have downtime in class (assuming they aren't disruptive of others) they can if they want to.
I think there was once a bumper sticker along the lines of:

So long as there are tests, there will be prayer in our schools.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 10:45 AM   #141
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I think there was once a bumper sticker along the lines of:

So long as there are tests, there will be prayer in our schools.
True, but I always found studying to be more effective.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 11:35 AM   #142
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

The great philosopher Redman once opined:

"If I study high, take the test high, I'll get highs scores!"
Old 13th November 2019, 12:46 PM   #143
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
But "wrong" isn't.
But the claim was that there needed to be a law against it, and so the question isn't whether it is inherently wrong, but if it's inherently illegal.

Murder is, by definition, killing that is against the law. So I contend that you don't need a law against murder, it is already against the law by definition. What you need to do is define what constitutes murder and what doesn't, and the bible certainly does not do that.
Old 14th November 2019, 04:21 PM   #144
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
The great philosopher Redman once opined:

"If I study high, take the test high, I'll get highs scores!"
I tried that. It didn't work too well.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 09:03 PM   #145
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I tried that. It didn't work too well.
It works in philosophy classes that involve a lot of essay writing.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 10:12 PM   #146
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

What you need to do is define what constitutes murder and what doesn't, and the bible certainly does not do that.
Yes it does.

Ten Commandments: Killing or murder
Quote:
The imperative is against unlawful killing resulting in bloodguilt. The Hebrew Bible contains numerous prohibitions against unlawful killing, but does not prohibit killing in the context of warfare (1Kings 2:5-6), capital punishment (Leviticus 20:9-16) and self-defence (Exodus 22:23), which are considered justified.
Bloodguilt
Quote:
BLOODGUILT, liability for punishment for shedding blood. The biblical concept of bloodguilt derives from the belief that deeds generate consequences and that sin, in particular, is a danger to the sinner. The most vivid examples of this belief appear in connection with unlawful homicide, where innocent blood (dam naki (naqi); Jonah 1:14) cries out for vengeance (Gen. 4:10), is rejected by the earth (Isa. 26:21; Ezek. 24:7), and pollutes it (Num. 35:3334). Bloodguilt attaches to the slayer and his family (II Sam. 3:28ff.) for generations (II Kings 9:26), and even to his city
So if you kill an innocent, and the killing is not in warfare, for capital punishment, or in self defense, then you are guilty of murder. And not just you. Also your family (for generations), and perhaps even your whole city!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories