ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2019, 05:19 PM   #1601
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

It may be fashionable to rag on Perl, but it does have excellent performance.

A while ago I was testing database scaling with GNU dbm and Berkeley dbm. I needed a large dataset and hit on the idea of using a number as the key (e.g. "123456789") and the number's words in English as the data (e.g. "one hundred twenty-three million, four hundred fifty-six thousand, seven hundred eighty-nine".) Such a dataset is by its very nature infinitely scalable. The algorithm I developed is pretty straightforward, and out of curiosity I ended up implementing it in several languages.

Here are the results from tests I ran on my laptop (Intel Pentium 3825U, 1.90GHz), in thousands of records generated per second:

Compiled C program (gcc -O3): 2,840
PHP 7: 403
mawk (a fast version of awk): 311
Perl: 287
Lua: 164
Ruby: 158
Java: 137
Python: 116
TCL: 68
Bash script: 6.4

The Perl program ran at more than twice the speed of the equivalent Python and Java programs.

On more powerful hardware such as a Ryzen CPU, Java and Python fared better when compared with Perl, running at 79% and 68% (respectively) the speed of the Perl program.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 05:22 PM   #1602
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I understand. As a programmer my first impulse on hearing of any computer issue is to figure out how to write a solution for it. Shocking as it may seem to me, there actually are things in life more important than programming or learning how to program.
Yeah, like I said, this task is ideal for automation, but it's not going to happen.

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
<gasps><clutches perl>

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 07:48 PM   #1603
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I was just asked by one of the management team to submit a request for an increase in my security clearance. Since this is a prerequisite for the position I've been going for, I think things are starting to look pretty good.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 07:58 PM   #1604
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I was just asked by one of the management team to submit a request for an increase in my security clearance. Since this is a prerequisite for the position I've been going for, I think things are starting to look pretty good.
By George, I think you've got it!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 07:59 PM   #1605
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Then again, there's this rather ominous sounding development: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ervice-changes

Quote:
Prime minister Scott Morrison has announced a major shake-up of the public service that will see four departments abolished, five secretaries sacked, and responsibility for emissions reductions removed from the department of environment.

Under the changes outlined by Morrison on Thursday, 18 government departments will be reduced to 14, with the prime minister saying the move would see “better services on the ground”.

He said the changes were not a savings measure, and there were no job losses expected. There will also be no changes to the ministry.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 08:03 PM   #1606
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Then again, there's this rather ominous sounding development: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ervice-changes
That's not likely to impact me much. We've already had the obligatory stand-up meeting about it. Essentially our two largest clients are going to merge and become one super-client.

- Randall Munroe
Old 4th December 2019, 09:08 PM   #1607
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well that was an unusual call. Here is a near-exact transcript:

Hello, Service Desk, how can I help?

Everything is working, nothing is going wrong, and you're all doing a great job.

Uh... thanks.

Bye! *click*

- Randall Munroe
Old 4th December 2019, 10:01 PM   #1608
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Everything is working, nothing is going wrong, and you're all doing a great job.

Uh... thanks.

Bye! *click*
I got through to you!

Old 4th December 2019, 10:49 PM   #1609
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I got through to you!

Not unless you're secretly an attractive blonde lady you didn't.

- Randall Munroe
Old 5th December 2019, 12:49 AM   #1610
erlando
Graduate Poster

Uh... thanks.

Bye! *click*
That's a phenomenon called "appreciation". It's very rarely found in the wild. You should consider yourself lucky to have observed it first hand.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:24 AM   #1611
Tolls
Illuminator

Clearly Norman's talents know no bounds!
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 02:01 AM   #1612
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

You have no idea how secret I am! The rest...nah.
Old 5th December 2019, 02:02 AM   #1613
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Clearly Norman's talents know no bounds!
Since I have none, bounds are of no consequence.
Old 5th December 2019, 02:50 PM   #1614
Faydra
sinning sybarite

<gasps><clutches perl>
If there were a pith award for nerds, you would so win with this one.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 02:53 PM   #1615
Faydra
sinning sybarite

I'm super happy - I've been in this same role at my company since 2006. (with a brief interruption around 2014, but that's a whole 'nuther story). I'm good at it, and there is only a very small subset of people in the country that do what I do. It's why they *love* me.

Anyway, they asked me to learn this other thing! New Things! Shiny objects!

So, I've been having a blast the last two days playing around with the new thing. I'm in fake it until you make it mode.

Wonder what this button does? <click>

Whee!
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 09:32 PM   #1616
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
That's a phenomenon called "appreciation". It's very rarely found in the wild. You should consider yourself lucky to have observed it first hand.
I did lodge a feedback incident about it.

They've got me almost entirely on Service Requests now. That's the boring, repetitive stuff, but in terms of career positioning it's where I want to be.

- Randall Munroe
Old 6th December 2019, 01:30 AM   #1617
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Wonder what this button does? <click>
Otherwhere in the building someone is going insane because the lights keep turning off...
Old 6th December 2019, 11:45 AM   #1618
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Anecdotes don't make evidence. I am sure there is a rational explanation for arthwolipot's claim, he was probably on drugs or had a crossed line on the phone.

You claiming it had to be a supernatural act before all the rational reasons are exhausted is not very sceptical. I know people have made claims of "appreciation" in the IT support profession for decades but we are yet to see one single iota of solid evidence it actually happens.
Old 6th December 2019, 02:42 PM   #1619
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Uh... thanks.

Bye! *click*
You gave your mom your work number?
Old 6th December 2019, 04:47 PM   #1620
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Anecdotes don't make evidence. I am sure there is a rational explanation for arthwolipot's claim, he was probably on drugs or had a crossed line on the phone.

You claiming it had to be a supernatural act before all the rational reasons are exhausted is not very sceptical. I know people have made claims of "appreciation" in the IT support profession for decades but we are yet to see one single iota of solid evidence it actually happens.
It’s usually a case of HR reflecting swamp gas from the need to pay techies the going rate.
Old 7th December 2019, 01:01 AM   #1621
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It’s usually a case of HR reflecting swamp gas from the need to pay techies the going rate.

I suppose 'swamp' gas could be one name for it.

If it's coming from HR that would be a polite way to describe it.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 09:48 PM   #1622
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay friends, I know you've been as much on the edge of your seats about this as I have been on mine. I heard back about the interview.

My interview was successful.

But.

There's always a but. This but is but there are more successful applicants than there are positions to fill. So I don't have the position. However, it is still a win for me, because I am now on a merit list for 12 months. During this time I can be offered any APS4-level position in Tech Services without an application or an interview. I would of course like a position here in the Service Desk because it's what I know and enjoy, but if I can get a permanency in another team, you bet I'll take it.

Furthermore, we are about to go through a massive MoG (Machinery of Government) shakeup because of this, so who knows what positions at this level may open up in a couple of months?

So for now, I'm not in the position I wanted but I'm not disappointed because I know that I am good enough for it.

And yeah, I'll be subtly hinting to the existing 4s here to think about advancing their careers too.

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th December 2019, 06:48 AM   #1623
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Okay friends, I know you've been as much on the edge of your seats about this as I have been on mine. I heard back about the interview.

But.

There's always a but. This but is but there are more successful applicants than there are positions to fill. So I don't have the position. However, it is still a win for me, because I am now on a merit list for 12 months. During this time I can be offered any APS4-level position in Tech Services without an application or an interview. I would of course like a position here in the Service Desk because it's what I know and enjoy, but if I can get a permanency in another team, you bet I'll take it.

Furthermore, we are about to go through a massive MoG (Machinery of Government) shakeup because of this, so who knows what positions at this level may open up in a couple of months?

So for now, I'm not in the position I wanted but I'm not disappointed because I know that I am good enough for it.

And yeah, I'll be subtly hinting to the existing 4s here to think about advancing their careers too.
If there are no openings the logical course is to make some. Does this workplace have shared coffee pots? The second statement is unrelated to the first, and neither are related to the ubiquity of toxic plant life globally and in your region particularly. I'm certainly not suggesting the course of action you're thinking of, wink wink.
Old 11th December 2019, 06:58 AM   #1624
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...

But.

While not perhaps the best possible result, it still sounds like you've gotten yourself into a good position, Congrats!

I'm a bit excited to be moving to a new job soon, myself .

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If there are no openings the logical course is to make some. Does this workplace have shared coffee pots? The second statement is unrelated to the first, and neither are related to the ubiquity of toxic plant life globally and in your region particularly. I'm certainly not suggesting the course of action you're thinking of, wink wink.
From the mouths of babes...
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #1625
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).

But.

They might phase up instead of you 4s bootstrapping.

Sort of thing.

No-one to be left behind.

(You probably helped users too.)

Well done for going for it.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #1626
Orphia Nay
Tagger

#6670 Discord

Anyone else here on there?
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #1627
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
#6670 Discord

Anyone else here on there?
Yes.

novaphile#4707

I don't think your ID is sufficient for people to find you there.
User name is required too.
Old Today, 01:16 AM   #1628
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Orphia#6670
Old Today, 02:43 PM   #1629
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Naaman#0021
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet