ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , oprah winfrey , presidential candidates

Old 8th January 2018, 10:29 AM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Oprah 2020

Sources: Oprah Winfrey 'actively thinking' about running for president

Originally Posted by CNN
Oprah Winfrey is "actively thinking" about running for president, two of her close friends told CNN Monday.

The two friends, who requested anonymity in order to speak freely, talked in the wake of Winfrey's extraordinary speech at the Golden Globes Sunday night, which spurred chatter about a 2020 run.

Some of Winfrey's confidants have been privately urging her to run, the sources said.

One of the sources said these conversations date back several months. The person emphasized that Winfrey has not made up her mind about running...

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/08/medi...bes/index.html
Old 8th January 2018, 10:38 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No. No no no no no no. No.

If it's Trump vs Oprah in 2020 I will literally give up on democracy as a concept.

This is a horrible idea. And it seems like exactly the sort of horrible idea the Democrats are going to think is effing brilliant. It would fit so perfectly into their narrative I almost think they couldn't resist running her if she is even halfway open to the idea.

So great in 2020 I'll get to choose between the Nazi King and the Woo Queen. Between Nazi Conspiracy Theorist as Special Counsels and Deepak Chopra as Surgeon General.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th January 2018 at 10:47 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 10:40 AM   #3
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Trump once said that Oprah would be his choice for running mate if/when he ran for President.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

"You get a tax cut, you get a tax cut, everybody gets a tax cut!"
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 10:54 AM   #5
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

One of the biggest problems is that she might be too sexy to be the President. I'm not sure that this country could handle a Brick House in the White House.
Old 8th January 2018, 11:00 AM   #6
xjx388
Philosopher

I’d vote for her over Trump...other than her wooish tendencies, she’s a smart woman with a fair-minded attitude. I would, of course, need to see her actual platform but on the face of it? She’s far better than Trump or any potential Dem candidates I can think of. Now if Trump isn’t in the running, things might change.
Old 8th January 2018, 11:07 AM   #7
Monza
Alta Viro

Didn't Trump teach us that an inexperienced person is not a good pick for a President?
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 11:14 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Didn't Trump teach us that an inexperienced person is not a good pick for a President?
Inexperienced old white cranky men are a good Presidential pick for Republicans. Inexperienced old black sassy women are a good Presidential pick for Democrats.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 11:15 AM   #9
Mumbles
Philosopher

Oprah would likely be better than Dolt45...but then again, so would I, and I'd be a wildly inappropriate person to put in the White House.

How about people get over this whole "politicians are inherently evil" thing, and just find someone, you know, decent? There are more than enough of them there among the Dems, and even among the GOP at state and local levels (the complete dereliction among federal GOP elected officials is a total disgrace, and they should all be tossed out of office).
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 11:17 AM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
How about people get over this whole "politicians are inherently evil" thing, and just find someone, you know, decent? There are more than enough of them there among the Dems, and even among the GOP at state and local levels (the complete dereliction among federal GOP elected officials is a total disgrace, and they should all be tossed out of office).
Impossible. Both sides use some variation on "Politics is bad" to get the other side out of office. The wizard duel can't be stopped at this point.
Old 8th January 2018, 11:49 AM   #11
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Remember how when you were a kid, parents would bemoan that kids were watching too much TV, and they wondered what kind of world there would be when everyone was glued to the tube, watching TV all day long.

This is what they were talking about. There is a non-zero probability that the two candidates of the major parties will be billionaire entertainers.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 12:00 PM   #12
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Oprah would likely be better than Dolt45...but then again, so would I, and I'd be a wildly inappropriate person to put in the White House.

Get over the truth?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 12:04 PM   #13
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I can't wait for the sneers of Democrats informing me that I'm a Trump supporter unless I actively pretend that her flatulence has the pleasant aroma of a midsummer morn.
Old 8th January 2018, 12:10 PM   #14
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I can't wait for the sneers of Democrats informing me that I'm a Trump supporter unless I actively pretend that her flatulence has the pleasant aroma of a midsummer morn.
More of a mountain spring, I hear.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 12:20 PM   #15
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Not just a Trump supporter, but racist and misogynist too!
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 12:21 PM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
No. No no no no no no. No.

If it's Trump vs Oprah in 2020 I will literally give up on democracy as a concept.

This is a horrible idea. And it seems like exactly the sort of horrible idea the Democrats are going to think is effing brilliant. It would fit so perfectly into their narrative I almost think they couldn't resist running her if she is even halfway open to the idea.

So great in 2020 I'll get to choose between the Nazi King and the Woo Queen. Between Nazi Conspiracy Theorist as Special Counsels and Deepak Chopra as Surgeon General.
The only up side is the state of Trump if he was beaten by a black, old, fat woman!
Old 8th January 2018, 12:22 PM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

But perhaps it is time for an incredibly successful business person, a self made billionaire to be president?
Old 8th January 2018, 12:27 PM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I was figuring Dr. Oz for Surgeon General but we'd be in some Deep Chopra anyhow.
Old 8th January 2018, 12:40 PM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The only up side is the state of Trump if he was beaten by a black, old, fat woman!
She's only sometimes fat.

Winfrey is unmarried and that would be unusual for a president. Buchanan remained unmarried through his term. Cleveland was unmarried when he was elected and then later married during his first term.
Old 8th January 2018, 12:48 PM   #20
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Picking a famous name long enough in advance for the GOP to get its character assassination machinery running is the dumbest thing the Dems could possibly do.

So... a 50/50 chance.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 01:14 PM   #21
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I’d vote for her over Trump...other than her wooish tendencies, she’s a smart woman with a fair-minded attitude. I would, of course, need to see her actual platform but on the face of it? She’s far better than Trump or any potential Dem candidates I can think of. Now if Trump isn’t in the running, things might change.
Other than promoting products and individuals that scam people she sure is swell.

Jesus *********** christ I was going to say she would be the democratic trump but I guess I'm a bit late as there is already a trump supporter like base for her.

It's funny, I thought trump would usher in more of a warhammer distopia but it's turning more into idiocracy.

"My *********** idiot is better because he is an assertive, wise, white guy"

"My *********** idiot is better because she is a sensitive black woman. "

How about we avoid idiotic sacks of greed and woo and vote based on credentials not who we like better or who would piss off the other side more.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 01:16 PM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Picking a famous name long enough in advance for the GOP to get its character assassination machinery running is the dumbest thing the Dems could possibly do.

So... a 50/50 chance.
I expect Trump to be tweeting about fat/crooked/failing Oprah any minute now. If he hasn't already.
Old 8th January 2018, 01:20 PM   #23
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Joke or no I hate this attitude.

Important decisions need to stop being made out of spite , "will it piss the other guy off? " is a reprehensible moral standpoint, and does not make for a good basis for policy.

This attitude needs to be avoided, it is a symptom of the step back in discourse society has taken, remember when taking joy in others suffering was a trait that was seen as negative? Now it is becoming compulsory, can't be part of group a without getting physically aroused when group b has something bad happen to them.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 01:21 PM   #24
NoahFence
Banned

Hell no.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 01:42 PM   #25
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She's not fat right now. She's a Brick House, and I'm telling you this country and the world is just not prepared to have that much sexy as a world leader.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oprahh.jpg (31.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 8th January 2018, 02:07 PM   #26
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The major problem with Trump wasn't that he was inexperienced. He's a hateful, dishonest, narcissist with the attention span of a toddler who happens to be inexperienced. Inexperience can be overcome if one is willing to work and learn. I'd listen before passing judgement but I have a feeling Oprah enjoys her private sphere too much to be willing to run for office. I have a feeling she's going to be helping whomever ends up running against him through fundraising and advocacy.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 02:17 PM   #27
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Impossible. Both sides use some variation on "Politics is bad" to get the other side out of office. The wizard duel can't be stopped at this point.
... Sirius Black for President?
Old 8th January 2018, 02:25 PM   #28
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Quote:
The major problem with Trump wasn't that he was inexperienced. He's a hateful, dishonest, narcissist with the attention span of a toddler who happens to be inexperienced. Inexperience can be overcome if one is willing to work and learn.
It should also be pointed out that with the one thing Trump actually did supposedly have experience with (i.e. business), he was actually a failure, with a string of bankruptcies and failed companies. He would likely never have been rich had he not benefited from having a wealthy father who's support helped him significantly.

On the other hand, Oprah started out in conditions might be considered poverty, and yet has managed to build a financial and media empire that rivals Trump's. (She may even be wealthier, since Trump hasn't been forthcoming with his financial information, and he may not even be a billionaire.)

Not that I would want Oprah to be president. But, if the choice were between Oprah and Trump, Oprah would have much more going for her.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 02:30 PM   #29
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

You are irretrievably **********, America.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 02:32 PM   #30
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
You are irretrievably **********, America.
I still have a faint thread of hope, but it's being steadily cut apart by the giant reciprocating saw of my realism.

Been investigating visa requirements to various countries. I'm almost too old for most, only a few more years to go (45 is usually the cut off).
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 02:44 PM   #31
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Most of the things we call experience for being president is probably garbage, anyway.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 02:51 PM   #32
ahhell
Master Poster

If it comes to Oprah vs Trump, I'd vote for Oprah but I sincerely hope that's not the choice.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 02:55 PM   #33
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Most of the things we call experience for being president is probably garbage, anyway.
Not really.

The type of experience that most candidates have are things like time in congress or cabinet, time spent as a gov, etc. That that gives things like:

- Knowledge of how bills are actually passed. (Yes, that can be learned, but as we know, Trump is not big on the whole 'learning' thing.)

- Knowledge of key players from both parties, which can be useful in guiding legislation (i.e. "who can we get to support this bill?")

- Experience with diplomacy (i.e. knowing how to act with foreigners). Yes, American might be the last remaining super power, but that doesn't mean they can get everything handed to them on a silver platter.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 02:55 PM   #34
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
If it comes to Oprah vs Trump, I'd vote for Oprah but I sincerely hope that's not the choice.
Yeah, probably same here.

I'm disappointed in both parties. Both seem more interested in their team winning than in doing anything useful. Both sides are ready and willing, I'll go further and say even eager, to disenfranchise roughly 50% of the U.S. population as soon as they have the power to do so (which is what the republicans have currently done).

It makes me sad. I hope to be proven wrong, but it doesn't look that's likely at this point.
Old 8th January 2018, 03:03 PM   #35
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Yeah, probably same here.

I'm disappointed in both parties. Both seem more interested in their team winning than in doing anything useful.
Not sure about that.

Remember, in the last election the Democrats had a wide range of policies that most people here would consider "useful"...

- Fix up Obamacare so that people continue to have health insurance
- Programs to diversify the economy in areas hit by things like the collapse of the coal industry
- Actual real infrastructure spending so that bridges don't collapse and roads aren't filled with potholes

And remember, under Obama they worked on the TPP (which would improve trade) and laws to prevent another 2008-style economic melt down.

Sounds pretty useful to me.

Dismissing the Democrats at this point as saying "they are just like the republicans" I don't think is fair. A decade or 2 ago it might have been accurate to say they were similar, but the Republican party of today has really driven off the deep end.

Quote:
Both sides are ready and willing, I'll go further and say even eager, to disenfranchise roughly 50% of the U.S. population as soon as they have the power to do so (which is what the republicans have currently done).
I don't recall Obama (or heck, even Bush before him) making the same sort of partisan political attacks/statements that Trump is currently making.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th January 2018, 03:33 PM   #36
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
She's only sometimes fat.

Winfrey is unmarried and that would be unusual for a president. Buchanan remained unmarried through his term. Cleveland was unmarried when he was elected and then later married during his first term.
What’s “unusual for a president” has been blown out of the water in the last two presidencies. And her being unmarried is not in and of itself the most likely target for the GOP unless they want to imply she is a lesbian, which they probably will.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 03:35 PM   #37
angrysoba
Philosophile

Anyway, the FiveThirtyEight people like to hashtag “hesrunning” or “shesrunning” whenever they see actions in a politician that appears to be setting out a position for a presidential run.

I haven’t seen what they have tweeted yet but...

#shesrunning
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 03:39 PM   #38
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
What’s “unusual for a president” has been blown out of the water in the last two presidencies. And her being unmarried is not in and of itself the most likely target for the GOP unless they want to imply she is a lesbian, which they probably will
Never underestimate the ability of the GOP or their supporters to be either lying hypocrites or totally out of touch.

Most Evangelicals have no problem with Donald J. "Grab 'em by the pussy" Trump, even though he is as far from Christian as you can get without donning red leotards and carrying a pitchfork. I am sure that if Oprah ever did try to run for president, her "living in sin" would suddenly become the greatest moral issue facing the nation among the right-wing christians.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th January 2018, 03:44 PM   #39
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Not sure about that.

Remember, in the last election the Democrats had a wide range of policies that most people here would consider "useful"...

- Fix up Obamacare so that people continue to have health insurance
- Programs to diversify the economy in areas hit by things like the collapse of the coal industry
- Actual real infrastructure spending so that bridges don't collapse and roads aren't filled with potholes

And remember, under Obama they worked on the TPP (which would improve trade) and laws to prevent another 2008-style economic melt down.

Sounds pretty useful to me.

Dismissing the Democrats at this point as saying "they are just like the republicans" I don't think is fair. A decade or 2 ago it might have been accurate to say they were similar, but the Republican party of today has really driven off the deep end.

I don't recall Obama (or heck, even Bush before him) making the same sort of partisan political attacks/statements that Trump is currently making.
Indeed!

Wasn't it the blatantly stated mission of the GOP Congress critters to obstruct Obama from day one and at every turn? It's astonishing what Obama accomplished in spite of them.

The GOP. The party of obstreperousness.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2018, 03:48 PM   #40
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Never underestimate the ability of the GOP or their supporters to be either lying hypocrites or totally out of touch.

Most Evangelicals have no problem with Donald J. "Grab 'em by the pussy" Trump, even though he is as far from Christian as you can get without donning red leotards and carrying a pitchfork. I am sure that if Oprah ever did try to run for president, her "living in sin" would suddenly become the greatest moral issue facing the nation among the right-wing christians.
They’ll vote for Roy Moore and splutter with rage about Al Franken. Of course it will make no difference to many of them what state Trump’s personal life is if they can go after Oprah Winfrey’s.

ETA: I think you mean a trident rather than a pitchfork.

Last edited by angrysoba; 8th January 2018 at 04:24 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics