ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 10th November 2019, 05:00 AM   #521
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,481
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
What's your beef with Jesus? I mean you present Jesus as if he was a Vampire in a nightmare you had during delirium causing fever.
Why are you so impressed with him?
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 06:07 PM   #522
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
Constantine the Great (Κωνσταντίνος ο Μέγας) was the last Roman Emperor (303 AD)
You can't get anything right can you? Here are all the Roman emperors after Constantine the Great.

Galerius Valerius Maximinus (310–313 CE)
Licinius (308–324 CE)
Constantine II (337–340 CE)
Constantius II (337–361 CE)
Constans I (337–350 CE)
Gallus Caesar (351–354 CE)
Julian (361–363 CE)
Jovian (363–364 CE)
Valentinian I (west, 364–375 CE)
Valens (east, 364–378 CE)
Gratian (west, 367–383 CE; coemperor with Valentinian I)
Valentinian II (375–392 CE; crowned as child)
Theodosius I (east, 379–392 CE; east and west, 392–395 CE)
Arcadius (east, 383–395 CE, coemperor; 395–402 CE, sole emperor)
Magnus Maximus (west, 383–388 CE)
Honorius (west, 393–395 CE, coemperor; 395–423 CE, sole emperor)
Theodosius II (east, 408–450 CE)
Constantius III (west, 421 CE, coemperor)
Valentinian III (west, 425–455 CE)
Marcian (east, 450–457 CE)
Petronius Maximus (west, March 17–May 31, 455 CE)
Avitus (west, 455–456 CE)
Majorian (west, 457–461 CE)
Libius Severus (west, 461–465 CE)
Anthemius (west, 467–472 CE)
Olybrius (west, April–November 472 CE)
Glycerius (west, 473–474 CE)
Julius Nepos (west, 474–475 CE)
Romulus Augustulus (west, 475–476 CE)
Leo I (east, 457–474 CE)
Leo II (east, 474 CE)
Zeno (east, 474–491 CE)

You really don't have a clue about basic history and science, do you?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 06:17 PM   #523
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
Still though, it could have taken place by itself. The propability (correct spelling: "probability")of yhe (correct spelling :"the") things you mention, let alone of plannet (correct spelling :"Planet") Earth to find itself just at the right distance from the Sun, or the Universe to function so well on its own, simply doesn't cut it.
If Earth was closer to the sun, another sort of life would have arisen. It is because Earth was already at the current distance to the sun that DNA and evolution allowed for the type of living creatures we see on Earth to start evolving 3.9 billion years ago.

Everyone here knows you can't grasp that basic concept as you don't believe in evolution and you don't know how evolution works.

Why did your "God"wait 13.7 billion years from the start of the universe to "create" modern humans? Was he playing golf or something like that?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 06:22 PM   #524
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
a certain Force within Nature caused the Evolution to happen;
Tell us what this "certain force within nature" was?

Tell us how this "certain force within nature" introduced new advantageous DNA sequences into a species' DNA?

Do this so we can all laugh at you some more. Then go away and post your religious crap, on a religious forum.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 08:09 PM   #525
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
You can't get anything right can you? Here are all the Roman emperors after Constantine the Great.

Galerius Valerius Maximinus (310–313 CE)
Licinius (308–324 CE)
Constantine II (337–340 CE)...
And you can?

Diocletian, Constantine 1, Constantine 2, Julian, Jovian, Valentinian 1 and Theodosius 1, ruled both East and West, with other emperors in between ruling elther East or West.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_emperors


Bravo! You can Google; so does an 8 year old. But you missed the details: The first political division was done by Diocletian. Theodosius 1, the last emperor to rule both the East and the West of the empire, divided the empire to his two sons. The Western empire lasted till 476 AD, and the Eastern till 1453 as the Byzantine Empire. You said the Romans brought Christianity and I was pointing out the ridiculousness of neglecting hundreds of years of prosecution of Christians by the Romans, to only focus on the times of the Roman emperor Constantine 1, who had effectively started the transition of the Roman empire to the Byzantine by moving the capital from Rome to a village called Byzantium, where he built the city of Constantinople. Historians consider the beginning of the Byzantine empire, that time, 330 AD. The Eastern Roman empire is considered by historians as the Byzantine Empire, ever since that era.

https://www.history.com/topics/ancie...zantine-empire


Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Tell us what this "certain force within nature" was?

Tell us how this "certain force within nature" introduced new advantageous DNA sequences into a species' DNA?
I answered already, as I do ALWAYS, I don't run on the dodge like you, changing the subject and posting links:

The Infinite! / God.

Now stop dodging the question as usual, which was:

If as you say, Evolution happened on it's own, or the Universe popped up on it's own; then even in that case, a certain Force within Nature caused the Evolution to happen; and within the "non-dimentional nothingness, caused the Universe to pop up within that "non-dimentional" / "non-denominational" nothingness, and to get itself in order! What are you saying happened?

As for your spelling skills, I've already told you, join a spelling-bee contest.

Last edited by tazanastazio; 10th November 2019 at 09:17 PM.
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 08:42 PM   #526
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,417
And if someone rejects a god of the gaps in human knowledge for lack of substance?

Your ideas only work for people with some faith in a god and a very small understanding of even basic sciences and history. You will never gain converts to your religion outside of that group.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 09:34 PM   #527
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,461
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
<snip for brevity>
Nope, in the end, if you are incapable of presenting anything remotely coherent or evidentially supported, you remain a remnant of the crank fringe and nobody can extract you from your plainly religious belief. You are quite literally, out on your own. But please do not pretend that your ideas intersect with reality at any point. To do so insults anyone in possession of a brain cell.

Now, I can understand your feud with Ellard. He has a gripe with you and pretty much followed you here and prolonged that feud. I fully agree that Ellard has done that.

But here is the thing. He was morally right to do so. He was factually right to do so. He was logically right to do so.

Why, you might ask? Because I consider it an imperative that somebody stand up to the sea of utter crap that folks like you vomit upon the internet .

Make no mistake, these ideas that you propagate are the very dark edges of the internet and you are directly responsible for propagating that level of abject ignorance.

If you believe in an immortal soul, you may wish to pause and consider what you are doing to your own. But as usual with blind faithful, introspection is impossible. They don't understand it.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 10:42 PM   #528
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
Bravo! You can Google
No. I know my Roman and Christian history as I am educated. You are not educated and claimed the Roman emperors ended with Constantine.

Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
The first political division was done by Diocletian.
That's right. I have been to his palace in Split while touring Roman archaeology in Croatia on my way to Moscow.

Why are you pretending to be lecturing me, who knows history, when you don't have a clue?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 10:47 PM   #529
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
The Infinite! / God.
So you admit that you are another uneducated religious lunatic, spamming our science forum about your "God". I assume you got thrown off religious forums as you have not read the Bible.

Tell us your little story about the radioactive angels again. That story was hilarious!
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 10:52 PM   #530
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Now, I can understand your feud with Ellard. He has a gripe with you and pretty much followed you here and prolonged that feud. I fully agree that Ellard has done that..
Check the join dates. Tanastanzio followed me here.

Matthew Ellard: Joined 2009
Tanastanzio: Joined 2019.

I ran the anti holocaust denial sub forum at the Skeptic Society Forum from 2009 until the movement collapsed with the archaeological survey at Treblinka II by Dr Caroline Colls. I was also posting against the few holocaust deniers who posted here from 2009. I originally studied archaeology and anthropological prehistory before becoming a tax lawyer.

Last edited by Matthew Ellard; 10th November 2019 at 11:01 PM.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 11:40 PM   #531
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,481
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
And you can?

Diocletian, Constantine 1, Constantine 2, Julian, Jovian, Valentinian 1 and Theodosius 1, ruled both East and West, with other emperors in between ruling elther East or West.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_emperors


Bravo! You can Google; so does an 8 year old. But you missed the details: The first political division was done by Diocletian. Theodosius 1, the last emperor to rule both the East and the West of the empire, divided the empire to his two sons. The Western empire lasted till 476 AD, and the Eastern till 1453 as the Byzantine Empire. You said the Romans brought Christianity and I was pointing out the ridiculousness of neglecting hundreds of years of prosecution of Christians by the Romans, to only focus on the times of the Roman emperor Constantine 1, who had effectively started the transition of the Roman empire to the Byzantine by moving the capital from Rome to a village called Byzantium, where he built the city of Constantinople. Historians consider the beginning of the Byzantine empire, that time, 330 AD. The Eastern Roman empire is considered by historians as the Byzantine Empire, ever since that era.

https://www.history.com/topics/ancie...zantine-empire




I answered already, as I do ALWAYS, I don't run on the dodge like you, changing the subject and posting links:

The Infinite! / God.

Now stop dodging the question as usual, which was:

If as you say, Evolution happened on it's own, or the Universe popped up on it's own; then even in that case, a certain Force within Nature caused the Evolution to happen; and within the "non-dimentional nothingness, caused the Universe to pop up within that "non-dimentional" / "non-denominational" nothingness, and to get itself in order! What are you saying happened?

As for your spelling skills, I've already told you, join a spelling-bee contest.
But why are you so impressed with Jesus? All he did was have public BDSM sex with some Romans on a Friday afternoon, slept it of on Saturday and got up early on a Sunday and then BAM, sins are forgiven because, reasons. Seems odd that you'd think that was so impressive.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 12:18 AM   #532
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
But why are you so impressed with Jesus? All he did was have public BDSM sex with some Romans on a Friday afternoon, slept it of on Saturday and got up early on a Sunday and then BAM, sins are forgiven because, reasons. Seems odd that you'd think that was so impressive.
Jesus was a con artist. He claimed he died for our sins, but apparently he "got better" and lives in heaven watching over us doing things (having showers, having sex, going to the toilet and so on)

He broke Roman law and disrupted tax collection at the money exchange vendors at the temple. The legislative punishment under Roman law was beheading, but he ran away. Poor Romans. They were keeping the peace and quiet until that troublemaker Jesus stopped the Roman tax department from doing its important work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jesus.jpg (110.5 KB, 2 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 01:31 AM   #533
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
You said the Romans brought Christianity
Learn to read English. I said Constantine made Christianity the state religion.

Prior to that Christianity was just another mystery cult, brought back by the legions fighting in Palestine, when cremation was being replaced by burial around the second century.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 05:10 AM   #534
Parsman
Muse
 
Parsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 706
In reply to Tazanastazio. Ridiculous. You are stating what you believe was "Roman". Till the end of the Byzantine Empire (and please note the name "Byzantine Empire" is one we use for convenience to identify an era in history, not a name that the people themselves ever used) in 1453 the Emperors regarded themselves as the rulers of what was left of the Roman empire. They called themselves Roman. They used Roman titles. They were now spoken in Greek and the language of the Empire had become Greek but they saw themselves as Roman right to the end. So the list given was actually a little short and the last Roman Emperor was actually Constantine XI (sometimes numbered XIV depending on the regnal numbering system used) who died defending Constantinople in 1453. And even then the ruling Ottomans adopted as one of their titles "Caesar of the Romans" so you could argue that the idea of a Roman Emperor doesn't die out until the end of the Ottoman Empire in the early 20th century. As has been noted above you don't seem to have much of a grasp of history.
__________________
I was not; I have been; I am not; I am content - Epicurus

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.

Last edited by Parsman; 11th November 2019 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 06:36 AM   #535
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
In reply to Tazanastazio. Ridiculous. You are stating what you believe was "Roman". Till the end of the Byzantine Empire (and please note the name "Byzantine Empire" is one we use for convenience to identify an era in history, not a name that the people themselves ever used) in 1453 the Emperors regarded themselves as the rulers of what was left of the Roman empire. They called themselves Roman. They used Roman titles. They were now spoken in Greek and the language of the Empire had become Greek but they saw themselves as Roman right to the end. So the list given was actually a little short and the last Roman Emperor was actually Constantine XI (sometimes numbered XIV depending on the regnal numbering system used) who died defending Constantinople in 1453. And even then the ruling Ottomans adopted as one of their titles "Caesar of the Romans" so you could argue that the idea of a Roman Emperor doesn't die out until the end of the Ottoman Empire in the early 20th century. As has been noted above you don't seem to have much of a grasp of history.
I agree on the above (except for the "ridiculous" part). The reason I provided the links is also due to lack of time to elaborate. In one of the links, there is a reference on the sentiment of the Byzantine as Romans.
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 06:37 AM   #536
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Learn to read English. I said Constantine made Christianity the state religion.

Prior to that Christianity was just another mystery cult, brought back by the legions fighting in Palestine, when cremation was being replaced by burial around the second century.
Not "John" , "Johny."
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 06:41 AM   #537
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,886
I see that the hoary old "probability" argument against evolution/life on earth has been raised yet again. Let me just re-post something I originally said over five years ago (with minor editing for clarity)-

Quote:
The whole "proof by probability" thing is childishly ridiculous anyway. I think I've said this before, but...calculations of probability are only relevant before things happen, not afterward. If you take a standard deck of cards and lay them out one by one, the probability of any one specified, predicted lay is 1 in 8x1067 (1 in 52x51x50x49x48...5x4x3x2). But a lay with no particular outcome predicted or aimed at (which is how evolution works- it is not normative) has the same chance as any other; and, in either case, whether predicted or not, any outcome already achieved has a 100% probability of having occurred. The argument would be that, since an outcome had an infinitesimal chance of occurrence beforehand, it can be shown, by that alone, that it never happened- that a card-player who laid out any sequence didn't actually do so because the odds were against it.
So, what about it, taz? If someone laid out a deck of cards as described above, would you really argue that the outcome was an impossible one since the probability of it was so infinitesimally small? Or would you get the point that assessing probabilities before an outcome is a proper use of the concept, but completely irrelevant afterwards? As abaddon (I think) said, the probability of any outcome which has already happened is 100%.

See, here's the thing, to me. If you wanted to argue that there was a god (or an "Infinite" or whatever) that set the whole thing in motion without any regard for how it would turn out, I wouldn't argue against it, because that would be a statement of faith that, in fact, would not conflict with the theory of evolution (or current cosmology)- it's an add-on that isn't necessary to the theory, but it doesn't negate it. But if you want to argue that god not only threw the cards up in the air, resulting in the lay we have, but guided the order and position of each card, then you need more evidence than a "probability" argument that only works as a circle- you end up assessing an outcome as, by definition, an aim only because your argument doesn't work if you don't.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 06:50 AM   #538
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
And if someone rejects a god of the gaps in human knowledge for lack of substance?

Your ideas only work for people with some faith in a god and a very small understanding of even basic sciences and history. You will never gain converts to your religion outside of that group.
I am not looking for "converts." This is a skeptics forum, and I, as a true skeptic, question the inability of science, to provide an adequate, if not sound, explanation, of what caused the beginning, of a given begining; following an infinite regression in time; without God, causing it. Infinitism provided that explanation. Infinitism is a philosophy, not a religion; as such, no "converts" are needed. Skepticism is not neglecting or omitting necessary references to matters, and leaving things out of a theory, for convenience.
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 06:56 AM   #539
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Jesus was a con artist. He claimed he died for our sins, but apparently he "got better" and lives in heaven watching over us doing things (having showers, having sex, going to the toilet and so on)
The above mentioned, all natural functions of humanity; till the end of time.

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
He broke Roman law and disrupted tax collection at the money exchange vendors at the temple. The legislative punishment under Roman law was beheading, but he ran away. Poor Romans. They were keeping the peace and quiet until that troublemaker Jesus stopped the Roman tax department from doing its important work.
False statement; "Give Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and to God what belongs to God."

Last edited by tazanastazio; 11th November 2019 at 06:58 AM.
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 07:31 AM   #540
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,481
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
The above mentioned, all natural functions of humanity; till the end of time.



False statement; "Give Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and to God what belongs to God."
Gods are myth the world would do well to grow out of.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 08:34 AM   #541
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,417
By Roman beliefs the one bearing the title Caesar was a god. Thus disrupting his laws of tax collection was a crime against god.

Claiming to be the son of god wasn't taken lightly either by that standard, it was a challenge to Caesar.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 09:08 AM   #542
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
7
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
I see that the hoary old "probability" argument against evolution/life on earth has been raised yet again. Let me just re-post something I originally said over five years ago (with minor editing for clarity)-



So, what about it, taz? If someone laid out a deck of cards as described above, would you really argue that the outcome was an impossible one since the probability of it was so infinitesimally small? Or would you get the point that assessing probabilities before an outcome is a proper use of the concept, but completely irrelevant afterwards? As abaddon (I think) said, the probability of any outcome which has already happened is 100%.

See, here's the thing, to me. If you wanted to argue that there was a god (or an "Infinite" or whatever) that set the whole thing in motion without any regard for how it would turn out, I wouldn't argue against it, because that would be a statement of faith that, in fact, would not conflict with the theory of evolution (or current cosmology)- it's an add-on that isn't necessary to the theory, but it doesn't negate it. But if you want to argue that god not only threw the cards up in the air, resulting in the lay we have, but guided the order and position of each card, then you need more evidence than a "probability" argument that only works as a circle- you end up assessing an outcome as, by definition, an aim only because your argument doesn't work if you don't.
How exactly is the laying of a deck of cards; or decks of cards, in any amount possible, and any possible combination; by a person, or even a computer, infinitesimally small? Especially compared to the level of looking into infinite regression; and when considering from that perspective in mind, the infinite possibilities of infinite progression, combinations, formations and deformations, and actions and reactions?

Last edited by tazanastazio; 11th November 2019 at 09:55 AM.
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 10:03 AM   #543
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,481
Smile

Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
7

How exactly is the laying of a deck of cards; or decks of cards, in any amount possible, and any possible combination; by a person, or even a computer, infinitesimally small? Especially compared to the level of looking into infinite regression; and when considering from that perspective in mind, the infinite possibilities of infinite progression, combinations, formations and deformations, and actions and reactions?
You know that none of your ideas will ever have a meaningful impact right? Science will go along as if you never existed.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 10:35 AM   #544
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
<snip for brevity>...

Now, I can understand your feud with Ellard. He has a gripe with you and pretty much followed you here and prolonged that feud. I fully agree that Ellard has done that...

<snip for brevity>
Like I said before Abbadon, everyone has an opinion and a mind of their own. Some people cannot tolerate not being able to refute a well made argument, and disprove a case, or "debunk" a theory; and behave as stubborn mules, or as dogs with the rabies.
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 10:47 AM   #545
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,886
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
7

How exactly is the laying of a deck of cards; or decks of cards, in any amount possible, and any possible combination; by a person, or even a computer, infinitesimally small? Especially compared to the level of looking into infinite regression; and when considering from that perspective in mind, the infinite possibilities of infinite progression, combinations, formations and deformations, and actions and reactions?
Oh, ok, I see the game here- you're going to quibble with my use of "infinitesimally small" so you can avoid the point I was plainly making. Do you at least see what I was getting at? In order to use "probability" as evidence for a normative god laying the whole deck out, you need to first assume that the normative framing is relevant because the outcome was an aim; IOW, you have to assume what the evidence is meant to support in order for it to be support.

Looking into infinite regression, indeed...
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 10:54 AM   #546
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
You know that none of your ideas will ever have a meaningful impact right? Science will go along as if you never existed.
You got me wrong Craig. This is not about thwarting or stopping the progress of science or knowledge and understanding in general; but contributing to their advancement.
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 11:45 AM   #547
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,481
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
You got me wrong Craig. This is not about thwarting or stopping the progress of science or knowledge and understanding in general; but contributing to their advancement.
You will never do that.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 02:31 PM   #548
Cris
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Portugal/Brazil
Posts: 123
Did Jesus exist?
Cris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 02:59 PM   #549
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,461
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post

Check the join dates. Tanastanzio followed me here.

Matthew Ellard: Joined 2009
Tanastanzio: Joined 2019.

I ran the anti holocaust denial sub forum at the Skeptic Society Forum from 2009 until the movement collapsed with the archaeological survey at Treblinka II by Dr Caroline Colls. I was also posting against the few holocaust deniers who posted here from 2009. I originally studied archaeology and anthropological prehistory before becoming a tax lawyer.
Yup, hands up, I worded that poorly. What I intended was that the argument elsewhere has followed here, not that you actually followed our protagonist (which clearly you did not). Thus it is a continuation of a long thread that happened elsewhere with the baggage that inevitably goes with it. Mea culpa.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 03:04 PM   #550
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,461
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
Like I said before Abbadon, everyone has an opinion and a mind of their own.
Sure, but that does not magically confer correctness, or credibility.

Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
Some people cannot tolerate not being able to refute a well made argument, and disprove a case, or "debunk" a theory; and behave as stubborn mules, or as dogs with the rabies.
Do they? Well when you come up any argument at all, be sure to let me know, because what you have presented so far does not even qualify as a bad argument because it isn't an argument at all. All you have are strings of empty assertions which not only have NO supporting evidence, but fly in the face of any and all evidence we do actually have.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 03:06 PM   #551
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,461
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Did Jesus exist?
There is a thread for that. Go ask there.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 06:15 PM   #552
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
I agree on the above (except for the "ridiculous" part). The reason I provided the links is also due to lack of time to elaborate.
No you didn't. You claimed Constantine was the last emperor, we pointed out your error ,so you copied some stuff on later emperors from Wikipedia to pretend you actually knew something.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 06:18 PM   #553
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
You got me wrong Craig. This is not about thwarting or stopping the progress of science or knowledge and understanding in general; but contributing to their advancement.
No. Science is a framework, to which new information is added. In contrast you refuse to look at any hypotheses and supporting experiment from the last 200 years.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 06:23 PM   #554
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
False statement; "Give Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and to God what belongs to God."
No. That is what that rebel Jesus said. The law of Rome did not give Jesus any right to disrupt tax collection.

Monty Python What have the romans ever done for us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZkTnJnLR0
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 08:23 PM   #555
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
The Infinite! / God.
Originally Posted by tazanastazio a year ago
GOD IS THE INFINITE AND THE INFINITE IS GOD
https://www.skepticforum.com/viewtop...=22197#p379351

Originally Posted by tazanastazio a year ago
1/3 of the Angels who rebelled against God and were cast out from heaven shows), they could of course evolve an altered image by means of misusing technology (radioactivity),
I assume everyone has worked out that tazanastazio also makes up Bible stories. He refuses to quote which verse and chapter of the Bible has shift-shaping angels, escaping heaven, by misusing modern technology.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 09:55 PM   #556
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
https://www.skepticforum.com/viewtop...=22197#p379351



I assume everyone has worked out that tazanastazio also makes up Bible stories. He refuses to quote which verse and chapter of the Bible has shift-shaping angels, escaping heaven, by misusing modern technology.
1st the link does not work.
2nd that post must have been from perhaps around 2013.
3rd I have already explained it as follows:

[B (From my post in response to Matthew Ellards, tinker-peddler argument on page 6.)

]You don't understand what I say here...? "... they could of course evolve an altered image by means of misusing technology (radioactivity), if God had allow for their species to exist for that long of a time interval..."

The clause about the 1/3 of the angels, is brought as the biblical (and if you are a believer of the Bible, perhaps allegorical) example and it is in parenthesis. It is referring to the previous clause to that. Admittedly I should have been more careful to phrase it accordingly; to account for the cliche, used-car salesman, carpetbagger lawyer tactics, of picking and choosing phrases to provide for an alternative meaning; to which tactics some people resolve, in their desperation to make a somewhat solid point. Nevertheless, most of their arguments, are aimless, invalid, hallow, cheap and even worthless. Yet, it is a blog after all, and as such, it is written sometimes in a hurry. This clause simply says, that if we or other species were to live long enough to go through a thermonuclear war, or otherwise misuse radiation WE/THEY MAY HAVE OUR/THEIR APPEARANCE ALTERED through teratogeny and other effects of radiation.

..."[/b]

Last edited by tazanastazio; 11th November 2019 at 11:50 PM.
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 11:55 PM   #557
Pixel42
Schrφdinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,500
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
Some people cannot tolerate not being able to refute a well made argument, and disprove a case, or "debunk" a theory; and behave as stubborn mules, or as dogs with the rabies.
You do realize that's an accurate description of you, right?
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 12:24 AM   #558
tazanastazio
Thinker
 
tazanastazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You do realize that's an accurate description of you, right?
I have never chased after anyone's thread across the span of a decade, attempting desperately and futilely to "debunk" their philosophy in life, with opprobrious, unprincipled, unethical, unscrupulous, devious, deceitful, foul, disrespectful, disgraceful, dishonorable, dishonest, and therefore contemptible and even shameful arguments; Neither have I ever employed a tin-horn peddler's, a tinker salesman's, a carpetbagger's and a cliche lawyer's of plugged nickel's worth, tactics.

I have a philosophy in life, namely Infinitism, and I was willing to share it. If anyone found something useful of it, fine. If not they could take whatever the had found useful from it, if anything, discard the rest and go their merry way. To each their own. No need for the self proclaimed intellectuals to disrespect anyone else, and insult anybody's intelligence with fallacies and hooliganism; as if the majority of the readers do not have a mind of their own to make their own unadulterated opinion, uninfluenced by the noise some make and the disruption some cause. Some people's behavior, is a sheer underestimate and even insult to anybody's intelligence; yet they still manage to regard themselves as civilized and as intellectuals.

Last edited by tazanastazio; 12th November 2019 at 12:52 AM.
tazanastazio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 12:46 AM   #559
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard
I assume everyone has worked out that tazanastazio also makes up Bible stories. He refuses to quote which verse and chapter of the Bible has shift-shaping angels, escaping heaven, by misusing modern technology.
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
2nd that post must have been from perhaps around 2013.
Did you rewrite the Bible after 2013?

Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
3rd I have already explained it as follows:
Yep. That's right. You made up a fake Bible story, mixing modern technology and angels together, to justify your stupid "God is infinities" religion. It was hilarious.

Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
if God had allow for their species to exist for that long of a time interval..."
Soooooo....you think angels are a species? Where is that in the Bible.

Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
The clause about the 1/3 of the angels, is brought as the biblical
The Bible doesn't have clauses. It isn't a contract. Didn't you know? You should read it one day.

Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
(and if you are a believer of the Bible,
You are posting religious rubbish on a science based atheist skeptic forum.

Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
Admittedly I should have been more careful to phrase it accordingly,
There is no Bible verse about radioactive angels. You made the entire story up as you have not read the Bible.

Try this website to learn what is in the Bible.

The Skeptic's Annotated Bible
https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jesus 2.jpg (15.1 KB, 45 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 12:48 AM   #560
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,425
Originally Posted by tazanastazio View Post
Neither have I ever employed a tin-horn peddler's, a tinker salesman's, a carpetbagger's and a cliche lawyer's of plugged nickel's worth, tactics.
You faked Bible stories and got caught.

Tsk tsk tsk

You are not a very good Christian, are you?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.