ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 02:19 PM   #2641
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,007
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Meanwhile Repugnicans are working hard at making sure that the Earth is as unlivable as possible. I guess it's one step closer towards rapture, eh?
So, thousands of climate nuts jump on jet planes powered by jet fuel and fly to Davos to have a conference to demand the elimination jet fuel, as well as other fossil fuels. Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:20 PM   #2642
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,732
Trump is a Veteran of the STD Wars. The fundraiser was for him.
__________________
“Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”-Sen. Lindsey Graham
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:20 PM   #2643
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,349
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
You have to admit, it is pretty clever for a Trump.
Tying their own shoelaces is pretty clever for a Trump.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:26 PM   #2644
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10,380
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
So, thousands of climate nuts jump on jet planes powered by jet fuel and fly to Davos to have a conference to demand the elimination jet fuel, as well as other fossil fuels. Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
Yes, there is. But you really don't like it when we criticize Trump supporters.

By the way, are you going to address my earlier questions to you?

"...do you think it's okay for the POTUS to publicly mock a teenage girl with AS just after she is named the Person of the Year? And this is not the first time he has resorted to such behavior toward her. Is this kind of childish, petty, and jealous behavior appropriate? "

ETA: 'climate nuts'? So I take it you are a climate denier just like Dear Leader. Is it just a China Hoax?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th December 2019 at 02:30 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:28 PM   #2645
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing
 
MRC_Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 22,520
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
So, thousands of climate nuts jump on jet planes powered by jet fuel and fly to Davos to have a conference to demand the elimination jet fuel, as well as other fossil fuels. Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
Much in fact. There are few ways to get to an event just now, but flying. Attending may be more important than just this use of fuel.

Hans
__________________
Experience is an excellent teacher, but she sends large bills.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:40 PM   #2646
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23,954
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
So, thousands of climate nuts jump on jet planes powered by jet fuel and fly to Davos to have a conference to demand the elimination jet fuel, as well as other fossil fuels. Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
Climate nuts like 36 Nobel laureates?

And the answer to your question is an emphatic "NOOOO"!!!!!!

Not if it results in meaningful legislation.

The world's most powerful and influential people attend DAVOS. These are people that need to be convinced.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:41 PM   #2647
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,137
In a rare piece of unexpected good news we do have news that a bipartisan group has reached agreement on what is being called a "sweeping" budget agreement that looks to avoid a potential shutdown anytime in the immediate future.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:44 PM   #2648
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10,380
I suspect that if Dear Leader (aka The Chosen One) believed in climate change then so would his sycophants.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:29 PM   #2649
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,481
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
Yes, your president.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:34 PM   #2650
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,481
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The climate nuts on the left have brainwashed and weaponized a little girl with Asperger Syndrome. They can't go any lower, although they probably will try, given they have no real bottom.
Is it just possible that she's actually angry that she and her generation will be dealing with the worst impacts of climate change while she's choosing which dipping sauce to dunk us in when we're all Soylent Green?
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:37 PM   #2651
autumn1971
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,095
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I hope you don't think BrooklynBaby cares in any way how anyone treats Ms. Thunberg. He's using her as a prop to attack his political opponents, ironically, just as his idol does. Being respectful is "PC", and they're tired of having to be civilised.

Maybe they have no place in civilisation.
Maybe the Danes will cede is just a chunk of far Northern Greenland and we can ship all the Trumpissers there to live in their little Fascist Utopia
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:42 PM   #2652
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 46,524
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
So, thousands of climate nuts jump on jet planes powered by jet fuel and fly to Davos to have a conference to demand the elimination jet fuel, as well as other fossil fuels. Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
Have anything to offer other then namecalling, like facts?
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:44 PM   #2653
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 46,524
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In a rare piece of unexpected good news we do have news that a bipartisan group has reached agreement on what is being called a "sweeping" budget agreement that looks to avoid a potential shutdown anytime in the immediate future.
Question is will Donnie sign off on it?
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:48 PM   #2654
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10,380
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Have anything to offer other then namecalling, like facts?
Climate deniers don't deal in facts. Facts are just part of the China Hoax.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:50 PM   #2655
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,137
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Question is will Donnie sign off on it?
Probably, but trying to predict what President Trump will do is like trying to do chaos theory inside a random number generator when all the equations are nothing but variables.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th December 2019 at 06:54 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:59 PM   #2656
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 46,524
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Climate deniers don't deal in facts. Facts are just part of the China Hoax.
Or deak in bad facts.
Over at Reason, the biggest LIbertarian Web site, they at least try to offer "Proof" there no man caused Global Warming, but the ones here usuallyjust name call.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 07:01 PM   #2657
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 46,524
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I truly hope this whole "Using an opponents language/argument against them is the ULTIMATE PINNACLE OF WITTY CLEVERNESS" kick that argumentatives are on dies a very horrible death soon.

"Ha ha! I said this thing that sounds like something you say! Aren't I clever! Didn't I just devastate you?"
Still amazes Trump thought comparing hmself with Thanos was a clever idea.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 07:04 PM   #2658
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,137
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Still amazes Trump thought comparing hmself with Thanos was a clever idea.
He knew doing it confuse half his opponents and anger the other half.

It's the only reason he does anything and he keeps doing it because it works.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 09:56 PM   #2659
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20,013
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Apart from none of that being true, do you think it's okay for the POTUS to publicly mock a teenage girl with AS just after she is named the Person of the Year? And this is not the first time he has resorted to such behavior toward her. Is this kind of childish, petty, and jealous behavior appropriate? You seem to think so. Frankly, Greta shows more maturity, grace, and class than Trump ever could.
I think the above could be used as an example of "damning with faint praise."
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 11:51 PM   #2660
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10,380
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think the above could be used as an example of "damning with faint praise."
Only if that's how you want to see it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 02:36 AM   #2661
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,481
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
. Frankly, Greta shows more maturity, grace, and class than Trump ever could.
True but so did the gorilla the zoologists taught sign-language to.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 03:31 AM   #2662
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,826
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
So, thousands of climate nuts jump on jet planes powered by jet fuel and fly to Davos to have a conference to demand the elimination jet fuel, as well as other fossil fuels. Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
Excuse me, but could you translate this into English?

Who the **** is asking for the elimination of jet fuel? Planes are the least of our problems.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 03:33 AM   #2663
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,826
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I suspect that if Dear Leader (aka The Chosen One) believed in climate change then so would his sycophants.
Of course.

That's what's so puzzling about all this: a lot of smart people, on this very forum, just repeat buzzwords and talking points from their favourite 'team'.

I mean, skeptics, right?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 04:05 AM   #2664
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,759
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Excuse me, but could you translate this into English?

Who the **** is asking for the elimination of jet fuel? Planes are the least of our problems.
Using jet fuel releases carbon into the atmosphere. People claiming that they want to reduce carbon emissions into the atmosphere as much as possible are flying on jets that use jet fuel. Therefore, those people are lying, foolish, and hypocritical and can thus be summarily be ignored. To take it further, these people driving cars, using plastics, and eating meat makes them lying hypocrites that can summarily be ignored, because those involve carbon emission, too. Only the people who don't do anything to cause carbon emissions are allowed to complain - and the lengths that one would have to go to makes them easy targets for other vicious mocking and thus summary dismissal.

It's an absurdly moronic line of attack, just like the related "Democrats want to kill your cows," but hey, that's what the GOP seems to thrive upon currently. Not necessarily because even they think that it has any real merit, but rather because of the tribal in group and out group mentality and in hopes that it will harm the out group.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 13th December 2019 at 04:12 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 04:58 AM   #2665
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 41,593
Trump hits peak tweet. 115 tweets and retweets in one day.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:15 AM   #2666
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,826
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Using jet fuel releases carbon into the atmosphere.
I know you were being sarcastic, but he's got to know how little GW planes are responsible for.

Hell, breathing releases carbon into the atmosphere.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Trump hits peak tweet. 115 tweets and retweets in one day.
Personally I think it's a sign of his mental decline. He's not really doing anything anymore. He can barely put coherent sentences together.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:21 AM   #2667
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,349
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I know you were being sarcastic, but he's got to know how little GW planes are responsible for.



Hell, breathing releases carbon into the atmosphere.







Personally I think it's a sign of his mental decline. He's not really doing anything anymore. He can barely put coherent sentences together.
Does a decomposing body release C02?

If it does we are truly screwed as that means no one alive or who will be dead one day can ever do anything about climate warming!
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:22 AM   #2668
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,826
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Does a decomposing body release C02?

If it does we are truly screwed as that means no one alive or who will be dead one day can ever do anything about climate warming!
Just as God intended.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:25 AM   #2669
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18,332
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I know you were being sarcastic, but he's got to know how little GW planes are responsible for.

Hell, breathing releases carbon into the atmosphere.



Personally I think it's a sign of his mental decline. He's not really doing anything anymore. He can barely put coherent sentences together.
2.5 percent. But it is from 114,000 flights per day.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:45 AM   #2670
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,759
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I know you were being sarcastic, but he's got to know how little GW planes are responsible for.
Not exactly sarcastic. You asked for an explanation of what was being said and I explained it. And then pointed out that I consider the line of argument to be moronic, as well as what was fairly certainly actually going on. This is a bit of a pedantic technicality, perhaps.

To poke at other things...

It was mildly amusing to watch Collins freak out at Nadler's surprise move.

I might have more respect for Collins' complaints if they were even remotely done in good faith, true (other than the part about not being informed beforehand), or if he and the rest of the Republicans hadn't just wasted massive, massive amounts of all their time with utter inanity and moronic theatrics intentionally as they tried to have the voting actually happen when no one was watching anymore.

Trump administration proposes Social Security rule changes that could cut off thousands of disabled recipients

...I'm not surprised, but it's still quite worthy of condemnation.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 13th December 2019 at 05:56 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 06:39 AM   #2671
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,729
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Just as God intended.

You're joking, but shortly after I started working at my current job, the company newsletter contained an article about anthropogenic climate change written by the VP of the R&D division. Someone responded with an angry post on the anonymous forum on the company website, saying that the article only presented one narrow view, people would remain on Earth as long as God wanted us to, and it was incredible arrogance to think that humans could significantly impact God's plan.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:05 AM   #2672
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 21,320
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Trump hits peak tweet. 115 tweets and retweets in one day.
Oh, I certainly feel for Captain Swoop right now...
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:11 AM   #2673
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,137
No that's no joke. It's not even subtext. It's not even the text it's the headline.

"We don't need to worry about the environment because God" isn't some fringe ulterior motive, it's the open and admitted major factor in why America's environmental policy is currently somewhere between "Let's be charitable and say less then perfect" and "Thanos."
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:14 AM   #2674
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,350
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Excuse me, but could you translate this into English?

Who the **** is asking for the elimination of jet fuel? Planes are the least of our problems.
Its the old GW-deniers canard of how if you are concerned about the environment, but aren't living in a ramshackle bamboo hut, growing your own food, and using anything other than a 50 year-old bicycle as transport then your arguments can be dismissed cuz you're obviously a hypocrite.

Its is the gold standard of 'Bad-Faith Argument'.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:17 AM   #2675
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,349
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No that's no joke. It's not even subtext. It's not even the text it's the headline.

"We don't need to worry about the environment because God" isn't some fringe ulterior motive, it's the open and admitted major factor in why America's environmental policy is currently somewhere between "Let's be charitable and say less then perfect" and "Thanos."
Thanos only wanted to remove 50% of the population, Trump would be happy clicking his fingers to get rid of everyone who doesn't praise him.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:17 AM   #2676
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,137
Ah yes the "But Al Gore has a big house!" argument.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:17 AM   #2677
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 13,834
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
So, thousands of climate nuts jump on jet planes powered by jet fuel and fly to Davos to have a conference to demand the elimination jet fuel, as well as other fossil fuels. Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
There are vast legions of ascetics who live in caves, wear recycled potato sacks for clothing, who eschew electricity, telephones, computers and other modern conveniences, and who advocate for policies to reduce greenhouse emissions. The problem is, we never hear from them.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:21 AM   #2678
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 53,192
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Ah yes the "But Al Gore has a big house!" argument.
Or the pope lives in a palace stuffed with art treasures while heading a religion based on rejecting material wealth. Although I do think that one may not be completely unfair.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:21 AM   #2679
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 22,137
It's the classic case of ignore the problem until it's big because "It's not a high priority, other things are more important, you're being alarmist" and then when it is big enough dismissing everything said about it as hyperbole or via argument we're seeing now that if it's that bad everyone arguing against has to be putting 100% of their resources into battling it and nothing else or they are "hypocrites."
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:22 AM   #2680
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,886
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
He knew doing it confuse half his opponents and anger the other half.

It's the only reason he does anything and he keeps doing it because it works.
Theodore Roosevelt once called the Presidency a "bully pulpit," with "bully" meaning "excellent, first rate"; the thrust of his phrase just being that the Presidency as a position is a great one for getting one's view's out there. Trump, I think, takes the "bully" bit too literally- he thinks it's a place from which to browbeat people into submission.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.