ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 02:19 PM   #2641
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Meanwhile Repugnicans are working hard at making sure that the Earth is as unlivable as possible. I guess it's one step closer towards rapture, eh?
So, thousands of climate nuts jump on jet planes powered by jet fuel and fly to Davos to have a conference to demand the elimination jet fuel, as well as other fossil fuels. Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:20 PM   #2642
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is a Veteran of the STD Wars. The fundraiser was for him.
Old 12th December 2019, 02:20 PM   #2643
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
You have to admit, it is pretty clever for a Trump.
Tying their own shoelaces is pretty clever for a Trump.
Old 12th December 2019, 02:26 PM   #2644
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
So, thousands of climate nuts jump on jet planes powered by jet fuel and fly to Davos to have a conference to demand the elimination jet fuel, as well as other fossil fuels. Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
Yes, there is. But you really don't like it when we criticize Trump supporters.

By the way, are you going to address my earlier questions to you?

"...do you think it's okay for the POTUS to publicly mock a teenage girl with AS just after she is named the Person of the Year? And this is not the first time he has resorted to such behavior toward her. Is this kind of childish, petty, and jealous behavior appropriate? "

ETA: 'climate nuts'? So I take it you are a climate denier just like Dear Leader. Is it just a China Hoax?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th December 2019 at 02:30 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:28 PM   #2645
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Much in fact. There are few ways to get to an event just now, but flying. Attending may be more important than just this use of fuel.

Hans
Old 12th December 2019, 02:40 PM   #2646
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Climate nuts like 36 Nobel laureates?

And the answer to your question is an emphatic "NOOOO"!!!!!!

Not if it results in meaningful legislation.

The world's most powerful and influential people attend DAVOS. These are people that need to be convinced.
Old 12th December 2019, 02:41 PM   #2647
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

In a rare piece of unexpected good news we do have news that a bipartisan group has reached agreement on what is being called a "sweeping" budget agreement that looks to avoid a potential shutdown anytime in the immediate future.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:44 PM   #2648
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect that if Dear Leader (aka The Chosen One) believed in climate change then so would his sycophants.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:29 PM   #2649
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Is there anything more wasteful, stupid, and hypocritical than this?
Yes, your president.
Old 12th December 2019, 03:34 PM   #2650
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The climate nuts on the left have brainwashed and weaponized a little girl with Asperger Syndrome. They can't go any lower, although they probably will try, given they have no real bottom.
Is it just possible that she's actually angry that she and her generation will be dealing with the worst impacts of climate change while she's choosing which dipping sauce to dunk us in when we're all Soylent Green?
Old 12th December 2019, 03:37 PM   #2651
autumn1971
Illuminator

I hope you don't think BrooklynBaby cares in any way how anyone treats Ms. Thunberg. He's using her as a prop to attack his political opponents, ironically, just as his idol does. Being respectful is "PC", and they're tired of having to be civilised.

Maybe they have no place in civilisation.
Maybe the Danes will cede is just a chunk of far Northern Greenland and we can ship all the Trumpissers there to live in their little Fascist Utopia
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:42 PM   #2652
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Have anything to offer other then namecalling, like facts?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:44 PM   #2653
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In a rare piece of unexpected good news we do have news that a bipartisan group has reached agreement on what is being called a "sweeping" budget agreement that looks to avoid a potential shutdown anytime in the immediate future.
Question is will Donnie sign off on it?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:48 PM   #2654
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Have anything to offer other then namecalling, like facts?
Climate deniers don't deal in facts. Facts are just part of the China Hoax.
Old 12th December 2019, 06:50 PM   #2655
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Question is will Donnie sign off on it?
Probably, but trying to predict what President Trump will do is like trying to do chaos theory inside a random number generator when all the equations are nothing but variables.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th December 2019 at 06:54 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:59 PM   #2656
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Climate deniers don't deal in facts. Facts are just part of the China Hoax.
Or deak in bad facts.
Over at Reason, the biggest LIbertarian Web site, they at least try to offer "Proof" there no man caused Global Warming, but the ones here usuallyjust name call.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th December 2019, 07:01 PM   #2657
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I truly hope this whole "Using an opponents language/argument against them is the ULTIMATE PINNACLE OF WITTY CLEVERNESS" kick that argumentatives are on dies a very horrible death soon.

"Ha ha! I said this thing that sounds like something you say! Aren't I clever! Didn't I just devastate you?"
Still amazes Trump thought comparing hmself with Thanos was a clever idea.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th December 2019, 07:04 PM   #2658
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Still amazes Trump thought comparing hmself with Thanos was a clever idea.
He knew doing it confuse half his opponents and anger the other half.

It's the only reason he does anything and he keeps doing it because it works.
Old 12th December 2019, 09:56 PM   #2659
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Apart from none of that being true, do you think it's okay for the POTUS to publicly mock a teenage girl with AS just after she is named the Person of the Year? And this is not the first time he has resorted to such behavior toward her. Is this kind of childish, petty, and jealous behavior appropriate? You seem to think so. Frankly, Greta shows more maturity, grace, and class than Trump ever could.
I think the above could be used as an example of "damning with faint praise."
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 11:51 PM   #2660
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think the above could be used as an example of "damning with faint praise."
Only if that's how you want to see it.
Old 13th December 2019, 02:36 AM   #2661
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

. Frankly, Greta shows more maturity, grace, and class than Trump ever could.
True but so did the gorilla the zoologists taught sign-language to.
Old 13th December 2019, 03:31 AM   #2662
Belz...
Fiend God

Excuse me, but could you translate this into English?

Who the **** is asking for the elimination of jet fuel? Planes are the least of our problems.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 03:33 AM   #2663
Belz...
Fiend God

I suspect that if Dear Leader (aka The Chosen One) believed in climate change then so would his sycophants.
Of course.

That's what's so puzzling about all this: a lot of smart people, on this very forum, just repeat buzzwords and talking points from their favourite 'team'.

I mean, skeptics, right?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 04:05 AM   #2664
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Who the **** is asking for the elimination of jet fuel? Planes are the least of our problems.
Using jet fuel releases carbon into the atmosphere. People claiming that they want to reduce carbon emissions into the atmosphere as much as possible are flying on jets that use jet fuel. Therefore, those people are lying, foolish, and hypocritical and can thus be summarily be ignored. To take it further, these people driving cars, using plastics, and eating meat makes them lying hypocrites that can summarily be ignored, because those involve carbon emission, too. Only the people who don't do anything to cause carbon emissions are allowed to complain - and the lengths that one would have to go to makes them easy targets for other vicious mocking and thus summary dismissal.

It's an absurdly moronic line of attack, just like the related "Democrats want to kill your cows," but hey, that's what the GOP seems to thrive upon currently. Not necessarily because even they think that it has any real merit, but rather because of the tribal in group and out group mentality and in hopes that it will harm the out group.

Last edited by Aridas; 13th December 2019 at 04:12 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 04:58 AM   #2665
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump hits peak tweet. 115 tweets and retweets in one day.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:15 AM   #2666
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Using jet fuel releases carbon into the atmosphere.
I know you were being sarcastic, but he's got to know how little GW planes are responsible for.

Hell, breathing releases carbon into the atmosphere.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Personally I think it's a sign of his mental decline. He's not really doing anything anymore. He can barely put coherent sentences together.

Old 13th December 2019, 05:21 AM   #2667
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I know you were being sarcastic, but he's got to know how little GW planes are responsible for.

Personally I think it's a sign of his mental decline. He's not really doing anything anymore. He can barely put coherent sentences together.
Does a decomposing body release C02?

If it does we are truly screwed as that means no one alive or who will be dead one day can ever do anything about climate warming!
Old 13th December 2019, 05:22 AM   #2668
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Does a decomposing body release C02?

If it does we are truly screwed as that means no one alive or who will be dead one day can ever do anything about climate warming!
Just as God intended.

Old 13th December 2019, 05:25 AM   #2669
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

2.5 percent. But it is from 114,000 flights per day.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:45 AM   #2670
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Not exactly sarcastic. You asked for an explanation of what was being said and I explained it. And then pointed out that I consider the line of argument to be moronic, as well as what was fairly certainly actually going on. This is a bit of a pedantic technicality, perhaps.

To poke at other things...

It was mildly amusing to watch Collins freak out at Nadler's surprise move.

I might have more respect for Collins' complaints if they were even remotely done in good faith, true (other than the part about not being informed beforehand), or if he and the rest of the Republicans hadn't just wasted massive, massive amounts of all their time with utter inanity and moronic theatrics intentionally as they tried to have the voting actually happen when no one was watching anymore.

Trump administration proposes Social Security rule changes that could cut off thousands of disabled recipients

...I'm not surprised, but it's still quite worthy of condemnation.

Last edited by Aridas; 13th December 2019 at 05:56 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 06:39 AM   #2671
Armitage72
Illuminator

Just as God intended.

You're joking, but shortly after I started working at my current job, the company newsletter contained an article about anthropogenic climate change written by the VP of the R&D division. Someone responded with an angry post on the anonymous forum on the company website, saying that the article only presented one narrow view, people would remain on Earth as long as God wanted us to, and it was incredible arrogance to think that humans could significantly impact God's plan.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:05 AM   #2672
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Oh, I certainly feel for Captain Swoop right now...
Old 13th December 2019, 07:11 AM   #2673
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No that's no joke. It's not even subtext. It's not even the text it's the headline.

"We don't need to worry about the environment because God" isn't some fringe ulterior motive, it's the open and admitted major factor in why America's environmental policy is currently somewhere between "Let's be charitable and say less then perfect" and "Thanos."
Old 13th December 2019, 07:14 AM   #2674
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Its the old GW-deniers canard of how if you are concerned about the environment, but aren't living in a ramshackle bamboo hut, growing your own food, and using anything other than a 50 year-old bicycle as transport then your arguments can be dismissed cuz you're obviously a hypocrite.

Its is the gold standard of 'Bad-Faith Argument'.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 07:17 AM   #2675
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No that's no joke. It's not even subtext. It's not even the text it's the headline.

"We don't need to worry about the environment because God" isn't some fringe ulterior motive, it's the open and admitted major factor in why America's environmental policy is currently somewhere between "Let's be charitable and say less then perfect" and "Thanos."
Thanos only wanted to remove 50% of the population, Trump would be happy clicking his fingers to get rid of everyone who doesn't praise him.
Old 13th December 2019, 07:17 AM   #2676
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ah yes the "But Al Gore has a big house!" argument.
Old 13th December 2019, 07:17 AM   #2677
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

There are vast legions of ascetics who live in caves, wear recycled potato sacks for clothing, who eschew electricity, telephones, computers and other modern conveniences, and who advocate for policies to reduce greenhouse emissions. The problem is, we never hear from them.
Old 13th December 2019, 07:21 AM   #2678
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Ah yes the "But Al Gore has a big house!" argument.
Or the pope lives in a palace stuffed with art treasures while heading a religion based on rejecting material wealth. Although I do think that one may not be completely unfair.
Old 13th December 2019, 07:21 AM   #2679
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's the classic case of ignore the problem until it's big because "It's not a high priority, other things are more important, you're being alarmist" and then when it is big enough dismissing everything said about it as hyperbole or via argument we're seeing now that if it's that bad everyone arguing against has to be putting 100% of their resources into battling it and nothing else or they are "hypocrites."
Old 13th December 2019, 07:22 AM   #2680
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

He knew doing it confuse half his opponents and anger the other half.

It's the only reason he does anything and he keeps doing it because it works.
Theodore Roosevelt once called the Presidency a "bully pulpit," with "bully" meaning "excellent, first rate"; the thrust of his phrase just being that the Presidency as a position is a great one for getting one's view's out there. Trump, I think, takes the "bully" bit too literally- he thinks it's a place from which to browbeat people into submission.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics