ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th December 2019, 01:07 AM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
If you could design a school, what would you want it to be like?

Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:20 AM   #2
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
What does this even mean? For what ages? For what purpose? And are you talking about physical design, or curriculum, or teacher qualifications, or student-teacher ratios, or what?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:27 AM   #3
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What does this even mean? For what ages? For what purpose? And are you talking about physical design, or curriculum, or teacher qualifications, or student-teacher ratios, or what?
As you have astutely observed the question lacks such constants. We might thereby infer an authorial intent of seeking responses that include all, none or more of your own suggestions.

Its not a ******* university essay.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:37 AM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
As you have astutely observed the question lacks such constants. We might thereby infer an authorial intent of seeking responses that include all, none or more of your own suggestions.

Its not a ******* university essay.
Pretty dumb question though tbf
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 04:01 AM   #5
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

It would be well funded by the government, owned and run by the state. The teachers would be well paid and the classrooms would not be ten-year old temporary buildings. The curriculum, pedagogy and layout would be based on best evidence based understandings. Lunches would be nutritious and free, while catering to diverse dietary needs.

The kids would be indoctrinated into a culture of accepting and embracing diversity and fairness. It would be as PC as all **** with unisex toilets and no uniforms. A right boomer nightmare. And billionaires would pay for it all with their taxes and be happy about it.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 04:12 AM   #6
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It would be well funded by the government, owned and run by the state. The teachers would be well paid and the classrooms would not be ten-year old temporary buildings. The curriculum, pedagogy and layout would be based on best evidence based understandings. Lunches would be nutritious and free, while catering to diverse dietary needs.

The kids would be indoctrinated into a culture of accepting and embracing diversity and fairness. It would be as PC as all **** with unisex toilets and no uniforms. A right boomer nightmare. And billionaires would pay for it all with their taxes and be happy about it.
And all the teachers could have indepth interviews, with students asking little kids "Are you sure you you know what gender you are"

Have you tried wearing a skirt?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 04:16 AM   #7
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
And all the teachers could have indepth interviews, with students asking little kids "Are you sure you you know what gender you are"

Have you tried wearing a skirt?
Not interested in your sick fantasies.
Old 12th December 2019, 05:33 AM   #8
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Sounds good to me...
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 05:56 AM   #9
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Taxation is theft.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 05:59 AM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Walls, windows, roof, floor. Well-insulated as it's difficult to pay attention when it's freezing cold indoors. Chairs and desks, possibly those combo chairs with a desk on it.
Old 12th December 2019, 06:16 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Walls, windows, roof, floor. Well-insulated as it's difficult to pay attention when it's freezing cold indoors. Chairs and desks, possibly those combo chairs with a desk on it.
Also well ventilated, as it's difficult to pay attention when it's stuffy and hot indoors.

Now that I think about it, optimal HVAC might be one of my top school design priorities.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 06:21 AM   #12
sphenisc
Philosopher

It would predominantly consist of big-eye jacks, tuna and cobia over a reef with squirrelfish and rainbow runners. Around the edge would be yellowtail barracuda and a single white-tip reef shark.
Old 12th December 2019, 06:35 AM   #13
calebprime
moleman

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
It would predominantly consist of big-eye jacks, tuna and cobia over a reef with squirrelfish and rainbow runners. Around the edge would be yellowtail barracuda and a single white-tip reef shark.
flickering as they all turn together instantly in the light, except for the shark which is asleep and swaying in the current on the bottom
Old 12th December 2019, 07:34 AM   #14
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Taxation is theft.
Keep religion out of our utopian schools.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 02:58 PM   #15
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Sounds good. Could it also have no need for active shooter drills or corridors designed to reduce line of fire distances?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 03:40 PM   #16
mgidm86
Philosopher

Well when I was in high school I'd have been pleased if my school had burned to the ground (while empty), so my answer is **** schools. Free soda and joint machines, free notes to get out of class maybe....nah just burn it down.
Old 12th December 2019, 07:59 PM   #17
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Students have to do a huge amount of reading and note taking. This would be done via computers. Most of the work would be self paced. However it would be noted if a student was behind on any one subject. The student / teacher ratio would be high, but they are the best society can provide. The hours would be long, but they would have frequent short breaks. In some of these, physical exercise would be done. In others they would have power naps.

Relationship skills would be taught, both theory and in practice.
Old 13th December 2019, 01:29 AM   #18
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I would go for something like the Coursera model, with the best teachers in the world giving video lectures, with autograded quizzes that must be passed at a certain level in order to progress. Kids would not have to attend classes per se, although you would want some group activities to allow for normal socialization--things like art classes or phys ed. Teachers would be more like tutors; available on call to help students who need some assistance with the material, but no longer forced to ride herd over 20-30 rambunctious youngsters at a time.

Last edited by Brainster; 13th December 2019 at 01:30 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 02:33 AM   #19
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).

I love you, Sidey.

Taxation is theft.
Yay, another supporter of a healthy UBS!

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Keep religion out of our utopian schools.
Thanks for taking this up a notch!

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I would go for something like the Coursera model, with the best teachers in the world giving video lectures, with autograded quizzes that must be passed at a certain level in order to progress. Kids would not have to attend classes per se, although you would want some group activities to allow for normal socialization--things like art classes or phys ed. Teachers would be more like tutors; available on call to help students who need some assistance with the material, but no longer forced to ride herd over 20-30 rambunctious youngsters at a time.
I love you, Brainster.

I’ll spare you all a rambling lecture today involving a Romany gypsy, LPs, a crazy old man who dares to sing in public, and his fearful alcoholic mother, a man sourcing medicinal cannabis crop growers, and telling the local nursery about planting a plum tree in a front yard.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 13th December 2019 at 02:37 AM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 02:48 AM   #20
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Taxation is theft.
That reminds me. Nineteen eighty-four on the reading lists.
Old 13th December 2019, 03:05 AM   #21
Samson
Philosopher

I think start with the known knowns. The equations leading back to the singularity of the big soundless event. The kids would be deeply fascinated, then add the layers up to the origin of life, Descartes and what he thought.
Also phonetics and arithmetic.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 04:23 AM   #22
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Teachers. A building can't be a school without teachers. They are incredibly undervalued.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 04:30 AM   #23
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Teachers. A building can't be a school without teachers. They are incredibly undervalued.
Totally agree, but would add "quality" to teachers in an ideal scenario.

Nothing better than an excellent teacher for a kids upbringing, nothing worse than a bad one.

Here both get paid the same. Have to love the unions.

Old 13th December 2019, 04:55 AM   #24
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Do I have to be realistic?

Assuming yes, I'm going to go with how I would design a typical public high school. And it would look a lot like a typical public high school, except it would do away with the centuries old lecture/homework model and go with the "reversed" model, in which students watch online lectures for homework, and use their time in class to complete assignments with help from the teachers. This is something like what brainster said, but a little bit closer to a traditional model. Students would still take classes, get grades, and be tested. For certain topics, there would be some traditional classroom style activities, like discussion of history or literature.

They would be indoctrinated in a culture that values learning, knowledge, and the scientific method, but not in any other ideology.

It would have mandatory athletic participation, somewhat like old fashioned P.E. classes, but with a little bit less team sports than we did back in the day, and more emphasis on health and fitness.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 05:41 AM   #25
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Totally agree, but would add "quality" to teachers in an ideal scenario.

Nothing better than an excellent teacher for a kids upbringing, nothing worse than a bad one.

Here both get paid the same. Have to love the unions.
Teachers unions aren't the sole blame for bad teachers. I had some extraordinarily dreadful teachers in states where there weren't any teachers unions. The root source of the problem is deeper than unionization.
Old 13th December 2019, 06:29 AM   #26
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I could go on and on.

But a good place to start might be looking at how schools get paid for.

The town/city property tax model leaves a damned near dystopian level of inequality. Where I live, they carved out the wealthiest chunk of the city some time back as its own tiny "town". Now, that town has the highest income in the immediate area and very good schools. Cross to a block over and the city schools are rated far lower, with many serious problems. When rich people can't form a separate district, they take over schoolboards and whatever other local government they need and slash school spending and taxes to the bone. Then they either send their kids to private school or they prop up the schools in their neighborhood with PTA funding, essentially creating their own funding district.

The current model seems to just deepen class divides and stagnation. And because income, location and race/ethnicity have so much correlation, it's statistically the same groups who end up underserved by schools. Of course money isn't the only problem. We're not going to fix schools by only throwing money at them. But those resources are a baseline for success. The ability to attract and retain good teachers. Simple facilities and resources matter. I worked a bit in a title 1 school that didn't even have working water fountains (among many other serious deficits).
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2019, 06:44 AM   #27
Distracted1
Illuminator

Taxation is theft.
As is property.
Old 13th December 2019, 06:49 AM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I could go on and on.

But a good place to start might be looking at how schools get paid for.

The town/city property tax model leaves a damned near dystopian level of inequality. Where I live, they carved out the wealthiest chunk of the city some time back as its own tiny "town". Now, that town has the highest income in the immediate area and very good schools. Cross to a block over and the city schools are rated far lower, with many serious problems. When rich people can't form a separate district, they take over schoolboards and whatever other local government they need and slash school spending and taxes to the bone. Then they either send their kids to private school or they prop up the schools in their neighborhood with PTA funding, essentially creating their own funding district.

The current model seems to just deepen class divides and stagnation. And because income, location and race/ethnicity have so much correlation, it's statistically the same groups who end up underserved by schools. Of course money isn't the only problem. We're not going to fix schools by only throwing money at them. But those resources are a baseline for success. The ability to attract and retain good teachers. Simple facilities and resources matter. I worked a bit in a title 1 school that didn't even have working water fountains (among many other serious deficits).
Amen. My family moved a lot so I went to a bunch of schools in a bunch of states. My parents always tried to get a house in the attendance zone of the good schools, but sometimes they misfired. The most glaring example of stark class difference was my junior high, which included students from the attendance zone of two different high schools. You could tell at a glance which kid in my junior high would be going to the good high school and which the bad. Did the kid have a decent winter coat, new school supplies, and lunch every day? Good high school. Did the kid wear handed down clothes, a duct-taped binder, and no braces? Crap high school.

The good high school had lots of AP classes and high test scores and most of the kids graduated on time and went on to college. The bad high school had low everything except the dropout rate and drug arrests.

Which side of the highway their parents could afford a house on made a huge difference to the lives of their kids.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education