ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old 15th October 2019, 06:45 PM   #1441
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

O'Rourke thinks he's the next Kennedy. He keeps repeating Kennedy's favorite lines.
Old 15th October 2019, 06:46 PM   #1442
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
To be fair, Warren is already in the 1%, so she probably doesn't need a lot of donations from other one-percenters. Sure, Warren has obviously made friends with a few billionaires over the course of her career, but what career politician hasn't?
Wut? She first ran for political office in 2012, when she was 62. I think a little anti-Warren sentiment accidentally slipped into view.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 06:46 PM   #1443
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
After all this time Warren should have a better answer than, "Look "

She could at least call them on trying to trap her with the question. It should be a simple answer but instead she looks like she's avoiding the issue.
I'll pick "ineffective" answer (subjective anyways) over knowingly perpetuating falsehoods in opposition to our own policy platform for personal gain.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 06:50 PM   #1444
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Wut? She first ran for political office in 2012, when she was 62. I think a little anti-Warren sentiment accidentally slipped into view.
That's fair. Though, if her whole career only spans seven years, then the number of billionaire donations "over the course of her whole career" gathers a lot more weight.

How many other elected officials garnered maximum donations from thirty billionaires in the first seven years of their career?

Last edited by theprestige; 15th October 2019 at 06:51 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 06:51 PM   #1445
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Sanders just completely dodged the health concern question and turned it into a plug for an upcoming rally and his website.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 06:52 PM   #1446
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yikes, Biden will turn 80 soon.

We should have a drinking game every time someone says, "Look".

Biden's at it again "...I'm the only one
Who'll walk across the fire for you
I'm the only one
Who'll drown in my desire for you..."

Warren: "Look"
(I better take small sips.)
Old 15th October 2019, 06:54 PM   #1447
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Sanders just completely dodged the health concern question and turned it into a plug for an upcoming rally and his website.
"Thank you for all the love."

Ohh, Gabbard got a dig at the moderator's ageism in.
Old 15th October 2019, 06:58 PM   #1448
SezMe
post-pre-born

In my opinion, one of the great strengths of the American system is that it's virtually impossible to have a dynasty in the conventional sense. None of the high offices are hereditary. There's no mechanism to install favorites. Your family connections only matter if you can sell them to the voting public. And at that point, it's the same "electability by association" advantage that anyone else associated with a successful politician would have.
Holy cow! Is it always sunny in that fantasy land where you reside?

George H. W. Bush succeeding Reagan was probably the most dynastic outcome we've had in recent presidential elections. Biden is making a similarly dynastic play right now.
Wut? Herbert Walker was a member of the "elites" of the east coast who (rightly) labeled Dutch's econonics as "voodoo". Dutch himself was westerner through-and through who didn't much cotton to those pointy-headed elites on the east coast. How you conjure up a dynasty from that is hard to fathom.

Similarly, Biden's political career was well and long established before Obama even got into the game. Their connection is no more of a dynasty than you and I. <-- That thought will make your hair curl, eh?

Last edited by SezMe; 15th October 2019 at 06:59 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 06:58 PM   #1449
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

That's fair. Though, if her whole career only spans seven years, then the number of billionaire donations "over the course of her whole career" gathers a lot more weight.

How many other elected officials garnered maximum donations from thirty billionaires in the first seven years of their career?
Has she taken more or less contributions over that time than other modern Senators from Massachusetts?

Is she over or under the average for a Presidential candidate?

I'll even be fair and allow for weighting. Are billionaire donors over-represented compared to the average and/or are contributions from billionaires a higher or lower proportion of her total war chest than average?

I'm genuinely interested in what the answer is, but as it is not my premise, I don't feel compelled to do the legwork.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:01 PM   #1450
Tero
Graduate Poster

Yeah, Syria, they all struggled.
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 07:12 PM   #1451
SezMe
post-pre-born

I have no idea. Do you have any data?
Old 15th October 2019, 07:26 PM   #1452
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Biden did it again.
"...I'm the only one
Who'll walk across the fire for you
I'm the only one
Who'll drown in my desire for you?"

Sanders is rubbing in all the things Biden got done, starting with the Iraq war.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:27 PM   #1453
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Holy cow! Is it always sunny in that fantasy land where you reside?

Wut? Herbert Walker was a member of the "elites" of the east coast who (rightly) labeled Dutch's econonics as "voodoo". Dutch himself was westerner through-and through who didn't much cotton to those pointy-headed elites on the east coast. How you conjure up a dynasty from that is hard to fathom.

Similarly, Biden's political career was well and long established before Obama even got into the game. Their connection is no more of a dynasty than you and I. <-- That thought will make your hair curl, eh?
Yeah, I recall the central reason for picking Biden as VP was to shore up Obama's foreign policy credentials, seen as one of his weakest areas. It was purely political expedience.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:29 PM   #1454
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ooo burn. Biden claims he got it done, Warren thanked Obama, ie it was not Biden.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:31 PM   #1455
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Warren and Sanders are raising their hands, mods call on Klobuchar.

Warren is repeating herself.

Bernie is leading the revolution again.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th October 2019 at 07:33 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 07:33 PM   #1456
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

I have no idea. Do you have any data?
I don't think they all gave the maximum, anyways. The Post story says "at or near the maximum" but it's anyone's guess how close they consider "near" to be.

On the debate: Warren very badly needs to figure out a different gesticulation than fingers flared, palms forward, and making flapping motions.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:35 PM   #1457
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Ooo burn. Biden claims he got it done, Warren thanked Obama, ie it was not Biden.
He fired back by interrupting her to say something like "yeah, you did a good job at doing your job" in glib fashion.

Some might see it as a zinger, but I think it put the exclamation point on the already brewing undercurrent that Joe is doing the "man" thing of saying "yeah, you had an idea, but I made it reality" which is not going to fly with a lot of women.

ETA: She let the interruption fizzle into silence for about a beat and a half and I think it was a good move on her part.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th October 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:39 PM   #1458
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Klobuchar is the new Delaney. They are really inflating her speaking time to get that moderate/liberal conflict. Buttigieg is at least in the upper single digits in polls.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:42 PM   #1459
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He fired back by interrupting her to say something like "yeah, you did a good job at doing your job" in glib fashion.

Some might see it as a zinger, but I think it put the exclamation point on the already brewing undercurrent that Joe is doing the "man" thing of saying "yeah, you had an idea, but I made it reality" which is not going to fly with a lot of women.
|
ETA: She let the interruption fizzle into silence for about a beat and a half and I think it was a good move on her part.
She zinged back with a thank you.

Castro can't answer the friend question, he sounds like the kid who didn't do his homework.

Gabbard is having trouble, but she had more time to think about it so she named Gowdy then launched into campaign crap.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:47 PM   #1460
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Steyr just lost the vote of all audio technicians by banging his wildly swinging hands into the mic.

ETA: I have some experience in the field, I saw his hands get going and reflexively cringed, no lie.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th October 2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:48 PM   #1461
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

|
Her response was my favorite of the night, along with Bernie's response about what Biden got done. He was called out for bragging about a terrible deal with McConnell in one of the first debates.

"Death of a Salesman" seems so applicable to Biden.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:53 PM   #1462
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Yang doesn't get it.

He says we need to rethink how we value work, but preceded that statement by invoking a whole list of professions as less worthy than others.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:54 PM   #1463
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Klobuchar was friends with McCain, good answer. They are all turning it into a campaign speech.

Steyer has a good campaign speech. His friend thing seemed stuck on the side.

O'Rourke isn't naming names. He's trying. ... Shared a rental car with a Republican, turned out well.

Booker's friends with everyone even Ted Cruz. He's convincing. I believe him.

Yang is still an odd duck, made friends with a Trump supporter.

Harris is friends with Rand Paul. Oh gawd, she's back to family stories.

Buttigeig had military friends, lots of trust, barriers lowered. Darn I wish he had more experience.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th October 2019 at 07:55 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 08:01 PM   #1464
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sanders worked with McCain, and other GOP legislators. Trump is a hater.

Warren, some Republican guy from 27 years ago. Wasn't Warren a Republican then? Back to the same campaign speech.

Biden, let me guess, "John McCain worked for me, asked me to give a eulogy at his funeral" launches into an attack on Trump. Yells at people to "Get up!"

Hooray it's over in time for The Voice.
Old 15th October 2019, 08:01 PM   #1465
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Biden got the last word and tried earnestly to build his ending to a crescendo. Crickets.
Old 15th October 2019, 08:10 PM   #1466
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

The unspoken "You're full of ****, Joe" was great.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 08:10 PM   #1467
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

CNN aftermath reporting AOC is Sanders' unnamed guest at the rally he teased and will endorse him (with "the squad", though probably not all in person at the rally?).

ETA: regardless of how I feel about candidates, I think it's a bad move for her. Not one ballot has been cast and I think this might be her inexperience in the long-term implications of national office endorsements by high-profile representatives.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th October 2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 15th October 2019, 08:13 PM   #1468
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

CNN aftermath reporting AOC is Sanders' unnamed guest at the rally he teased and will endorse him (with "the squad", though probably not all in person at the rally?).

ETA: regardless of how I feel about candidates, I think it's a bad move for her. Not one ballot has been cast and I think this might be her inexperience in the long-term implications of national office endorsements by high-profile representatives.
I don't think it matters either way, really.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 08:15 PM   #1469
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Steyr just lost the vote of all audio technicians by banging his wildly swinging hands into the mic.

ETA: I have some experience in the field, I saw his hands get going and reflexively cringed, no lie.
Interesting because I didn't notice.
Old 15th October 2019, 08:19 PM   #1470
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
The unspoken "You're full of ****, Joe" was great.
He brought it on, claiming everything Obama did was Biden/Obama, as if.

Can you picture Mike Pence going on and on about what he and Trump accomplished?
Old 15th October 2019, 08:19 PM   #1471
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Amy feels like the anointed new moderate candidate. CNN is really playing it up in the post-debate, and they were clearly setting it up during the debate.

I didn't care for Pete in his attacker role. He gave much better answers, focused on substantive concerns, in the earlier debates, IMO.

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 15th October 2019 at 08:21 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 08:20 PM   #1472
Venom
Illuminator

https://www.facebook.com/berniesande...2705812585923/
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 08:23 PM   #1473
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Why should we check Bernie's FB page?
Old 15th October 2019, 08:33 PM   #1474
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Interesting because I didn't notice.
Good, fast-acting limiters. Actually given the delay, limiters can "look ahead" and block the peak transient. I'm just showing off a little now :9.

But if the tech was in pre-fade listen on that channel at that moment, they took a hit.

ETA: just noticed Yang did it too while I was hunting for some of his comments.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th October 2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 15th October 2019, 08:52 PM   #1475
Venom
Illuminator

Why should we check Bernie's FB page?
Why not?

Just sharing some haymakers from the frontrunner.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 09:03 PM   #1476
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

If I recall correctly, AOC was pretty clear about her general support for Bernie since she entered public view in the impressive way that she did?

He brought it on, claiming everything Obama did was Biden/Obama, as if.
And that no one else had actually done anything big (or meaningful).

Can you picture Mike Pence going on and on about what he and Trump accomplished?
...From the context, it looks like you think the answer is no, but my answer to that is very much yes - if he thought that it would win him points.
Old 15th October 2019, 09:06 PM   #1477
Venom
Illuminator

Ilhan Omar has endorsed Bernie Sanders.
Old 15th October 2019, 09:19 PM   #1478
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Why not?

Just sharing some haymakers from the frontrunner.
Was what I said too subtle?

Give me a reason to click on that link. Or why should I?
Old 15th October 2019, 09:21 PM   #1479
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
If I recall correctly, AOC was pretty clear about her general support for Bernie since she entered public view in the impressive way that she did?

And that no one else had actually done anything big (or meaningful).

...From the context, it looks like you think the answer is no, but my answer to that is very much yes - if he thought that it would win him points.
Riding on coattails is not the same as wearing the coat.
Old 15th October 2019, 09:32 PM   #1480
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

You know, for a people who have been entirely unaffected by President Trump, our antipodean cousins seemed to have developed a really outsized fear of him.
No.

There is no fear at all.

What you're seeing is disgust.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics