IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars

Old 3rd August 2022, 08:34 PM   #801
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And really bad at hiring lawyers....
My bar has been abuzz tonight. Law professors are clucking their tongues at how spectacularly bad Jones' defense team is. Certainly the botched discovery in re the text messages is a major error. But also they should be strongly counseling him to avoid public statements about the judge and jury.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:14 PM   #802
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Oh, I think I love her.
It's even better knowing what a misogynistic ****-bag Jones is.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:20 PM   #803
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
My bar has been abuzz tonight. Law professors are clucking their tongues at how spectacularly bad Jones' defense team is. Certainly the botched discovery in re the text messages is a major error. But also they should be strongly counseling him to avoid public statements about the judge and jury.
Even if they do, he won't/can't.

He's a lot like The Fat Orange Turd in that respect... he blurts out what comes into his head, totally unfiltered, and the conspiracy theory rhetoric is so ingrained in his head, that he truly believes everything that is happening to him now is being controlled by the ubiquitous and omnipresent "them". He thinks he is a victim of the nefarious "deep state", that "they" are trying to silence him.

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd August 2022 at 09:25 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:29 PM   #804
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Even if they do, he won't/can't.

He's a lot like The Fat Orange Turd in that respect... he blurts out what comes into his head, totally unfiltered, and the conspiracy theory rhetoric is so ingrained in his head, that he truly believes everything that is happening to him now is being controlled by the ubiquitous and omnipresent "them". He thinks he is a victim of the nefarious "deep state", that "they" are trying to silence him.
They're the kind of guys who, if they'd committed a murder and got away with it because no body could be found, but thought that the way they disposed of the body was really clever, would have to blurt out how they'd done it so everyone could be suitably impressed.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:03 PM   #805
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think this is a civil case, not a criminal one.
Yes, but perjury and fraud are criminal matters

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:51 PM   #806
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://twitter.com/Mohamme09073545/...uV6kXYIL5eUQFg

Slightly nsfw video (profanity in the comments)

In a slightly surreal addition, doing all the above and also lying to the judge ABOUT CHEWING GUM IN THE COURTROOM

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:21 PM   #807
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

Maybe Jones is trying to maximize his punishment in order to score political points with his following? He would just need to present a defense that seems earnest enough to not be completely, absurdly implausible to said following.
Might I posit that individuals who regularly endorse murderers or child rapists might not actually be interested in good faith discussions? Far be it for me to judge another's non-harmful past time; but I personally find more enjoyment and productivity in activities that do not involve feeding bridge-dwellers, flogging dead equines, or trying to debate stones.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 12:26 AM   #808
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

That BBC headline "Alex Jones concedes Sandy Hook school shooting was '100% real'" was a nice one to wake up to.
Old 4th August 2022, 12:48 AM   #809
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
That BBC headline "Alex Jones concedes Sandy Hook school shooting was '100% real'" was a nice one to wake up to.
He's about to be 100% ******.
Old 4th August 2022, 12:55 AM   #810
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I hope there's incriminating evidence against Paul Watson too.

Or even better, links to Russia (but that's hoping too much)

Old 4th August 2022, 05:29 AM   #811
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

For Once, Alex Jones Can't Pretend His Way Out of Reality

Quote:
The Infowars host unsuccessfully tried to remain “in character” during a legal proceeding.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...tm_source=digg
Old 4th August 2022, 05:42 AM   #812
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://twitter.com/lawcrimenetwork/...BjJahWrOX4QUBA

Reynal quoted Martin Niemöller "First they came for..." in his closing speech.

Old 4th August 2022, 05:44 AM   #813
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
https://twitter.com/lawcrimenetwork/...BjJahWrOX4QUBA

Reynal quoted Martin Niemöller "First they came for..." in his closing speech.

A lot of people on the wrong side of things miss the fact that in the context of "First they came for" someone has to be the person coming for folks.

In other words "First they came for the Nazis... and yeah everything worked out great after that."

But yeah stuff like that is all they got. "If you don't let me keep being horrible, sooner or later they are going to come for you as well."
Old 4th August 2022, 05:57 AM   #814
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
A lot of people on the wrong side of things miss the fact that in the context of "First they came for" someone has to be the person coming for folks.

In other words "First they came for the Nazis... and yeah everything worked out great after that."

But yeah stuff like that is all they got. "If you don't let me keep being horrible, sooner or later they are going to come for you as well."
He should have finished with "then they came for Alex Jones" and I said "he's over there hiding behind perjury and insincere apologies" because he's a vile sociopathic traitor.

Old 4th August 2022, 06:13 AM   #815
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/statu...O3prdQAdVc1_Kg

Lots of photos making his point in this thread

Old 4th August 2022, 06:41 AM   #816
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

It's almost like they WANT him to lose too.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 06:45 AM   #817
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Hey! This is a SKEPTICS forum, not a Conspiracy Theory forum!
Old 4th August 2022, 06:46 AM   #818
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Oh if only the January 6th committee could find his link to Trump January 6th and the Oath Keepers in those Texts, you know he will have some from his buddy Stone.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 06:53 AM   #819
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
You laugh but the "Oh come on no lawyer is THAT bad, this is a way to get a mistrial (that may or may not work depending on who's talking)" stuff has already started.
Old 4th August 2022, 07:05 AM   #820
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

And Justice For All - Al Pacino.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Some swears. About 8:00
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 4th August 2022 at 07:07 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 07:16 AM   #821
angrysoba
Philosophile

Oh, the Alex Jones movie blocked me.

So sad!

And an OUTRAGE! An infringement on my liberties! 1776!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alex Jones war.jpg (66.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 4th August 2022, 07:58 AM   #822
angrysoba
Philosophile

Here we go...

Trial continues on this stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDhAF5ZxLQM
Old 4th August 2022, 08:21 AM   #823
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

And now

https://twitter.com/cathyrusson/stat...hWlIlnLYgRxcQA
Quote:
Could criminal charges be coming?
Bankston asked the judge if her own live stream was going, "I've had various government agencies, law enforcement that are interested in watching this hearing..." #AlexJones

Old 4th August 2022, 08:22 AM   #824
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh noes at this rate his slap on the wrist will be upgraded to two slaps on the wrist.
Old 4th August 2022, 08:40 AM   #825
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Maybe Jones is trying to maximize his punishment in order to score political points with his following? He would just need to present a defense that seems earnest enough to not be completely, absurdly implausible to said following.
I've been toying with this hypothesis too. He forfeited his opportunity for a jury trial and got a default judgment. He's grandstanding in and out of the courtroom, earning a scolding from the judge that plays right into his complaint that he's being railroaded by a hostile, biased judiciary. It's not out of the question to suppose he'll spin it all to grift the money to pay his settlement from his followers.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 08:42 AM   #826
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I mean is there anyone here that is so naïve as to think that Jones isn't going to wind up right back at "Oh woe is me they are trying to censor me for JUST ASKING QUESTIONS!" sooner or later? Yeah he's learned the hard way that he can't play that role in Court (yet, give it time) but as soon as he's out, even if he's in prison, there is exactly nothing stopping from going right back to it. Because it will work.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 4th August 2022 at 09:09 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 08:46 AM   #827
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Oh noes at this rate his slap on the wrist will be upgraded to two slaps on the wrist.
I won't be happy until they at least whack his peepee.
Old 4th August 2022, 09:10 AM   #828
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I mean is there anyone here that is so naïve as to think that Jones isn't going to wind right back at "Oh woe is me they are trying to censor me for JUST ASKING QUESTIONS!" sooner or later? Yeah he's learned the hard way that he can't play that role in Court...
He's falling all over himself now to give profuse apologies. I think he just realized his attorney is only a crisis actor.
Old 4th August 2022, 09:18 AM   #829
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The problem is it is going to be very hard for him to "apologize" without just admitting more and more guilt. At some point even Alex Jones has to know when to shut up.

Again this is a troll in the one place where you can't be a troll and watching is like better than an orgasm but it's temporary. He'll go right back into character the second court is adjourned because A) it's literally all he knows and B) it will work in his favor.
Old 4th August 2022, 09:28 AM   #830
ginjawarrior
Critical Thinker

https://www.reddit.com/r/facepalm/co...xplain_why_he/

Ha
A
Ha
Ha

Alex Jones trying to explain away trans porn from his phone
ginjawarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 09:37 AM   #831
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The problem is it is going to be very hard for him to "apologize" without just admitting more and more guilt. At some point even Alex Jones has to know when to shut up.

Again this is a troll in the one place where you can't be a troll and watching is like better than an orgasm but it's temporary. He'll go right back into character the second court is adjourned because A) it's literally all he knows and B) it will work in his favor.
I'm not sure there's any evidence for this.

I also don't know how easy it would be for him to claw back if he spends a short time in jail and with huge punitive damages (he must have alienated the jury with his comments about them)

He'd have name recognition but a lot of avenues would be closed to him. I doubt he'd be syndicated by any broadcast media due to the risk of him entangling them in defamation cases.

Old 4th August 2022, 09:55 AM   #832
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Plaintiff's attorney confirms he has received requests from federal law enforcement to turn over Jones' text messages, and intends to comply within the limits of the judge's orders.

We need a much better "munching popcorn" emoji for this forum.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:01 AM   #833
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Plaintiff's attorney confirms he has received requests from federal law enforcement to turn over Jones' text messages, and intends to comply within the limits of the judge's orders.

We need a much better "munching popcorn" emoji for this forum.
Golly gee willikers, I wonder what sort of limitations Judge Goblin will put on those text messages?
Old 4th August 2022, 10:13 AM   #834
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Golly gee willikers, I wonder what sort of limitations Judge Goblin will put on those text messages?
I watched that live stream and I remember the judge saying (paraphrase) "Now that they know that material exists, they're going to get it one way or another." Ie, whether it's handed over to the Jan6 committee or subpoenaed by them.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:15 AM   #835
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So what's the chain of custody like here? I mean are all the "i" dotted and "t" crossed if this goes as evidence to the Feds?
Old 4th August 2022, 10:21 AM   #836
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Probably very little, at this point, because Jones' lawyer doesn't seem very interested in protecting his client's rights. As soon as plaintiffs' attorney revealed the evidence disclosure yesterday, that guy should have been on his feet objecting left and right, if only to stop the line of questioning and get the jury ushered out for an evidentiary hearing. Even if you lose a motion to suppress, it's crucial to keep the jury from hearing the story when their fascination is piqued. It's also essential to object in the moment in order to preserve rights on appeal, even if the objection is overruled. (Generally you can appeal procedural or evidentiary issues only if you properly objected during the trial.)

Jones' lawyer might have been distracted by the sound of his career circling the drain.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:29 AM   #837
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

As long as it doesn't allow Jones to argue he didn't have affective counsel and weasel his way out of this in any way, shape, or form (legally or from a PR perspective) his lawyer's career can go down the drain as fast as it wants.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:30 AM   #838
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

As long as it doesn't allow Jones to argue he didn't have affective counsel and weasel his way out of this in any way, shape, or form (legally or from a PR perspective) his lawyer's career can go down the drain as fast as it wants.
That defense only works in criminal cases.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:31 AM   #839
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

So what's the chain of custody like here? I mean are all the "i" dotted and "t" crossed if this goes as evidence to the Feds?
As I understand it, the attorneys are sworn officers of the court and may receive and possess evidence and transmit it to law enforcement without raising any chain of custody issues.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:35 AM   #840
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That defense only works in criminal cases.
Correct; it's a Sixth Amendment issue, not for suits in equity. Jones would have to sue his lawyer for malpractice and attempt to recover the amount of the settlement his incompetent lawyer cost him. And before anyone asks, no, the ineffectiveness of counsel in a civil matter that then gives rise to criminal liability does not implicate the Sixth Amendment.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories