IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 8th August 2022, 08:41 PM   #921
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 15,766
A guide to what Repubs are against:
Quote:
What and whom are Republicans for? According to their votes: forced birth, protecting big corporations and tax cheats from paying taxes, the National Rifle Association and Second Amendment absolutists, oil companies and Big Pharma, to name a few things. The ties that bind them — aversion to lifesaving coronavirus vaccines, election denial, censorship, reverence for the Confederacy and persecution of LGBTQ Americans — used to be considered beyond the pale. Now, they are standard positions.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ne-party-take/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 01:11 AM   #922
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 35,129
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
A guide to what Repubs are against:

Quote:
What and whom are Republicans for? According to their votes: forced birth, protecting big corporations and tax cheats from paying taxes, the National Rifle Association and Second Amendment absolutists, oil companies and Big Pharma, to name a few things. The ties that bind them — aversion to lifesaving coronavirus vaccines, election denial, censorship, reverence for the Confederacy and persecution of LGBTQ Americans — used to be considered beyond the pale. Now, they are standard positions.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ne-party-take/
Those are the views of a significant minority of the US electorate so why shouldn't the GOP court them ?

Especially if, by reflecting their views, they manage to convince them to turn out to vote.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 05:29 AM   #923
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 12,480
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
From: Reuters
The Republican nominee for Michigan attorney general led a team that gained unauthorized access to voting equipment while hunting for evidence to support former President Donald Trump’s false election-fraud claims...
What I find astonishing is, the Republican running for state attorney general, Matthew DePerno, gained access to voting tabulators and obviously found no evidence of fraud. I think it's obvious because if they had found evidence of fraud they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Yet they cling to the notion the 2020 presidential election "was stolen."

What does it take to convince these people? Okay, they had suspicions, but investigations -- even by themselves -- don't bear those suspicions out. Alright, enough already. They thought there was fraud, looks like there wasn't. Case closed. Time to move on. Only they don't move on, they just keep going around in circles.

Why can't they see this?
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 06:06 AM   #924
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 12,366
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
What I find astonishing is, the Republican running for state attorney general, Matthew DePerno, gained access to voting tabulators and obviously found no evidence of fraud. I think it's obvious because if they had found evidence of fraud they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Yet they cling to the notion the 2020 presidential election "was stolen."

What does it take to convince these people? Okay, they had suspicions, but investigations -- even by themselves -- don't bear those suspicions out. Alright, enough already. They thought there was fraud, looks like there wasn't. Case closed. Time to move on. Only they don't move on, they just keep going around in circles.

Why can't they see this?
Old saying: You can't argue someone out of a position with logic that they didn't argue themselves into with logic.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 06:48 AM   #925
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,274
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
From: Reuters
The Republican nominee for Michigan attorney general led a team that gained unauthorized access to voting equipment while hunting for evidence to support former President Donald Trump’s false election-fraud claims...The analysis shows that people working with Matthew DePerno...examined a vote tabulator from Richfield Township...The Richfield security breach is one of four similar incidents being investigated by Michigan's current attorney general, Democrat Dana Nessel. Under state law, it is a felony to seek or provide unauthorized access to voting equipment.

"Vote for me to enforce the law... after all, who knows the law better than someone who has broken it?"
Wasn't that Trump's actual campaign spiel back in 2015/2016 regarding tax law?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 06:59 AM   #926
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 19,066
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Quote:
From: Reuters
The Republican nominee for Michigan attorney general led a team that gained unauthorized access to voting equipment....

"Vote for me to enforce the law... after all, who knows the law better than someone who has broken it?"
Wasn't that Trump's actual campaign spiel back in 2015/2016 regarding tax law?
Something like that. (Although Trump didn't claim he broke tax laws, only that he would know about loopholes that could be closed.)
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 08:45 AM   #927
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
What I find astonishing is, the Republican running for state attorney general, Matthew DePerno, gained access to voting tabulators and obviously found no evidence of fraud. I think it's obvious because if they had found evidence of fraud they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Yet they cling to the notion the 2020 presidential election "was stolen."

What does it take to convince these people?
Okay, they had suspicions, but investigations -- even by themselves -- don't bear those suspicions out. Alright, enough already. They thought there was fraud, looks like there wasn't. Case closed. Time to move on. Only they don't move on, they just keep going around in circles.

Why can't they see this?
You're operating on the assumption that the whole thing is about honest suspicions that can be rationally laid to rest. It's not- the people who will gravely intone that their only purpose is to ensure that the voters can have trust in the democratic process have as their actual aim the destruction of that trust, because they do not, fundamentally, believe in democracy as a process. The basic idea behind democracy is to allow the people to determine the policies under which they will live by choosing between the officials who propose and then will implement their policies; but the GOP is coming more and more to be dominated by people who believe that their policies entitle them to rule, and whether the voting process was trustworthy or not is only defined by whether they won or lost it.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 08:50 AM   #928
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,315
Again it's just so ******* wonderful watching people realize "Wait a minute. Letting people just keep being wrong is a problem!" in real time but after it's too late to matter after being told "Oh what does it matter, let people believe whatever they want, why do you have to right about everything" for decades and again no I have zero intent of every getting over this thank you for asking.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 08:53 AM   #929
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 15,766
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
What I find astonishing is, the Republican running for state attorney general, Matthew DePerno, gained access to voting tabulators and obviously found no evidence of fraud. I think it's obvious because if they had found evidence of fraud they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Yet they cling to the notion the 2020 presidential election "was stolen."
....(
AG Barr, a Trump acolyte if there ever was one, has said publicly and repeatedly that fraud claims are "BS" (his word). That should have ended the debate for any rational person.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 09:49 AM   #930
Armitage72
Philosopher
 
Armitage72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 7,335
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
AG Barr, a Trump acolyte if there ever was one, has said publicly and repeatedly that fraud claims are "BS" (his word). That should have ended the debate for any rational person.

I think I see the problem.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 12:58 PM   #931
Jim_MDP
Philosopher
 
Jim_MDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: N.Cal/S.Or
Posts: 9,124
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
What I find astonishing is, the Republican running for state attorney general, Matthew DePerno, gained access to voting tabulators and obviously found no evidence of fraud. I think it's obvious because if they had found evidence of fraud they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Yet they cling to the notion the 2020 presidential election "was stolen."

What does it take to convince these people? Okay, they had suspicions, but investigations -- even by themselves -- don't bear those suspicions out. Alright, enough already. They thought there was fraud, looks like there wasn't. Case closed. Time to move on. Only they don't move on, they just keep going around in circles.

Why can't they see this?
And this week Sarah Palin, if elected to Congress, has promised to investigate Hillary and Benghazi because you know... that hasn't been done before.

__________________
----------------------
Anything goes in the Goblin hut... anything.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 03:11 PM   #932
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 32,979
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Wasn't that Trump's actual campaign spiel back in 2015/2016 regarding tax law?
It's a common enough idea, it seems. Remember the great financial crisis of a few years ago, when greedy and ignorant financial wizards tanked the economy with complex derivatives and subprime mortgages? Practically the first thing I heard then was that we must hire the people who produced the crisis to sort it out because they were the only ones who understood the whole mess.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)

Last edited by bruto; 9th August 2022 at 03:30 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 05:53 PM   #933
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
You're operating on the assumption that the whole thing is about honest suspicions that can be rationally laid to rest. It's not- the people who will gravely intone that their only purpose is to ensure that the voters can have trust in the democratic process have as their actual aim the destruction of that trust, because they do not, fundamentally, believe in democracy as a process. The basic idea behind democracy is to allow the people to determine the policies under which they will live by choosing between the officials who propose and then will implement their policies; but the GOP is coming more and more to be dominated by people who believe that their policies entitle them to rule, and whether the voting process was trustworthy or not is only defined by whether they won or lost it.
This ^. Trumpers are fascists. They don't believe in democracy. They say they do, wrap themselves in the flag and declare themselves "patriots". But the fact is, everything they do proves otherwise. What they want is fascist state with "their" politicians and a strongman in control.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 04:08 PM   #934
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 50,439
https://twitter.com/Nat_Herz/status/1557429343143415808

Quote:
Todd Palin's parents are hosting a fundraiser for Nick Begich III...who is Sarah Palin's Republican rival in Tuesday's congressional election in Alaska. #AKleg #AKelect
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 07:58 PM   #935
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,906
Rudy digs a deep hole.

Giuliani seeking to delay Fulton grand jury testimony

Quote:
Rudy Giuliani, former President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, is aiming to delay his testimony before a Fulton County special grand jury examining Georgia’s 2020 elections as he recovers from a recent medical procedure, according to new court filings.
Quote:
Attorneys for Giuliani will challenge his subpoena, technically known as a certificate of material witness, at 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday in front of Fulton Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney. That’s roughly the same time their client is scheduled to testify before the 23-person special grand jury.

A lawyer for the former New York City mayor submitted doctors notes to the Fulton County District Attorney’s office saying that Giuliani is recovering from a “recent invasive procedure” following a “complex artery diagnosis” and isn’t yet cleared for air travel.
The DA has offered to buy him a bus ticket.

But in the meantime he has been enjoying himself in New Hampshire and buying airline tickets "to travel to Italy and Switzerland for late July dates shortly after his medical procedure — though it doesn’t specify whether Giuliani used the tickets."
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 11:47 PM   #936
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Rudy digs a deep hole.

Giuliani seeking to delay Fulton grand jury testimony




The DA has offered to buy him a bus ticket.

But in the meantime he has been enjoying himself in New Hampshire and buying airline tickets "to travel to Italy and Switzerland for late July dates shortly after his medical procedure — though it doesn’t specify whether Giuliani used the tickets."
It didn't work. Judge basically told him suck it up and take a train or bus.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 05:38 AM   #937
Armitage72
Philosopher
 
Armitage72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 7,335
CPAC proudly proclaims "We Are All Domestic Terrorists".

Quote:
The 2022 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) took place in Dallas, Texas, from Aug. 4-7, featuring Republican notables such as former U.S. President Donald Trump and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, as well as an assortment of panel discussions.

A digital banner displayed during one of those panel discussions became the subject of controversy when photographs and video clips of it went viral on social media. The banner read: “We Are All Domestic Terrorists.”

Another banner said “You’re Next: The Rise of the Democrat Gulag.”
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 05:46 AM   #938
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,315
That's their game. Literally do something that is so outrageous that simply describing it in neutral terms sounds outrageous, and then go "LOL this is how you sound."

That's why they LOVE the whole "Ur being drahmatic!" thing. They are trying to condition us to believing that they can't be THAT bad.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 06:42 AM   #939
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 12,366
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's their game. Literally do something that is so outrageous that simply describing it in neutral terms sounds outrageous, and then go "LOL this is how you sound."

That's why they LOVE the whole "Ur being drahmatic!" thing. They are trying to condition us to believing that they can't be THAT bad.
To people outside the USA, they don't look pseudo-MOR. They look patently insane.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 07:52 AM   #940
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 12,480
The wingers are addicted to violent rhetoric, threat-making and real-time harassment by doxing people they hate. CNN reports:
Quote:
"Lock and load," was one of the top comments on an online forum dedicated to former President Donald Trump on Monday night, soon after it emerged his Florida Mar-a-Lago resort had been searched by the FBI. Other posts were more explicit, "I'm just going to say it. [Attorney General Merrick] Garland needs to be assassinated. Simple as that." Another user posted, "kill all feds." Users also encouraged others to post the address of the magistrate judge they believe signed off on the search warrant. "I see a rope around his neck," a comment under a picture of the judge read. CNN link
I keep thinking about an interview I saw on TV with a conservative. He was talking about the incredible polarization we're seeing. He mentioned in 2008, many older Republicans were adamantly opposed to the Affordable Care Act. The reason was, they believed the plan was to take money from Medicare -- reduce benefits to senior citizens -- and use that monrey to provide health care for younger people, up to 25% of whom were not born in the United States. The conservative said the GOP leadership attempted to reassure these angry Republican voters that it wasn't the way the plan was being drawn up, but they refused to believe it.

He said in 2016 the candidate donald trump "tapped into that anger."

That's where we are. No mainstream Republicans will speak out against the violent rhetoric and threat-making by the right wing. I think many remain silent because they see it in terms of partisan tactics, a weapon to be used against opponents. There are undoubtedly Republican elected leaders who DO see the danger but realistically, they know if they do speak out they themselves will quickly be targeted.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 07:54 AM   #941
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,315
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The wingers are addicted to violent rhetoric, threat-making and real-time harassment by doxing people they hate.
Yeah but after the police shoot an innocent black guy in the back 37 times and pee on the corpse sometimes another black person will knock over a trashcan so as you can obviously see both sides blah blah in fact the Left is really the violent ones as you can clearly...
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 08:40 AM   #942
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 5,253
IMO Trumpers are 80% hot air and 20% untreated mental illness. That doesn't mean there won't be violence, but I wouldn't expect a revolution.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 08:49 AM   #943
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,315
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
IMO Trumpers are 80% hot air and 20% untreated mental illness. That doesn't mean there won't be violence, but I wouldn't expect a revolution.
"Violence but not a revolution."

Call me crazy but I want to live in a world where THAT isn't the compromise.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 12:18 PM   #944
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
To people outside the USA, they don't look pseudo-MOR. They look patently insane.
They look patently insane to most of us inside the USA, too.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 12:22 PM   #945
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
IMO Trumpers are 80% hot air and 20% untreated mental illness. That doesn't mean there won't be violence, but I wouldn't expect a revolution.
Don't omit 'just plain stupid' as supported by rally attendees interviews.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 12:24 PM   #946
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,315
It's the same core composition we see in all Woo groups from Flat Earthers to Alien Abduction enthusiasts. Slick, predatory people at the top, a shell of the mentally ill, and a core filling of uneducated rubes.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 06:43 PM   #947
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 12,480
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Violence but not a revolution."...
I think there is a third option that is often overlooked. The type of 'revolution' staged by Viktor Orban in Hungary. If our side makes the laws, if our side controls the judiciary, then WE decide what is democratic and what isn't.

Words of wisdom from Orban, a speech he delivered last month in Romania:
Quote:
There is an outstanding 1973 book on this issue which was written in French, and recently published in Hungary. It is called “The Camp of the Saints” [the destruction of Western civilization through Third World mass immigration], and I recommend it to anyone who wants to understand the spiritual developments underlying the West’s inability to defend itself. Migration has split Europe in two – or I could say that it has split the West in two. One half is a world where European and non-European peoples live together. These countries are no longer nations: they are nothing more than a conglomeration of peoples. Link to official transcript
Last August Tucker Carlson broadcast his show from Hungary for a week. This past May the American conservative group CPAC held its annual convention in Hungary.

Ever wonder why?
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 06:46 PM   #948
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I think there is a third option that is often overlooked. The type of 'revolution' staged by Viktor Orban in Hungary. If our side makes the laws, if our side controls the judiciary, then WE decide what is democratic and what isn't.

Words of wisdom from Orban, a speech he delivered last month in Romania:


Last August Tucker Carlson broadcast his show from Hungary for a week. This past May the American conservative group CPAC held its annual convention in Hungary.

Ever wonder why?
Nope.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 06:50 PM   #949
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,315
More than half of GOP governor nominees have questioned or denied the legitimacy of the 2020 election

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/polit...ion/index.html
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 07:07 PM   #950
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Not politicians but these morons vote for politicians. They really are an argument for IQ tests before being allowed to vote.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 07:41 PM   #951
Jim_MDP
Philosopher
 
Jim_MDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: N.Cal/S.Or
Posts: 9,124
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not politicians but these morons vote for politicians. They really are an argument for IQ tests before being allowed to vote.



YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Hmm, not loading for me.
Don't suppose it's the latest Klepper jaunt through a Trump rally?
I'm constantly amazed he and his crew have only been half-assed attacked (IIRC)... once.
__________________
----------------------
Anything goes in the Goblin hut... anything.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 09:05 PM   #952
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,087
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not politicians but these morons vote for politicians. They really are an argument for IQ tests before being allowed to vote.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I know what she was going for, but the triangle with the circle in it is the symbol for Alcoholics Anonymous. You're going to be bored if you crash one of those meetings. I had almost forgotten about that whole pizza angle. Ah, nostalgia.

Is anyone else familiar with the "bin Laden was a CIA agent named Tim" thing she was referring to? I never heard of that one.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 11:20 PM   #953
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,713
Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Hmm, not loading for me.
Don't suppose it's the latest Klepper jaunt through a Trump rally?
I'm constantly amazed he and his crew have only been half-assed attacked (IIRC)... once.
Opens for me just fine. But, yes.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 05:45 PM   #954
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,906
Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Hmm, not loading for me.
Don't suppose it's the latest Klepper jaunt through a Trump rally?
I'm constantly amazed he and his crew have only been half-assed attacked (IIRC)... once.
I get: Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this
video available in your country


But don't bother explaining it. I can find too many on my own.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 08:33 AM   #955
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 50,439
White trash family terrorizes neighbors, sheriff does nothing:

Listen: Lauren Boebert’s neighbors’ 911 calls describe threats, husband running over mailbox

Quote:
Garfield County Sheriff’s deputies decided to let neighbors of U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert settle a dispute between themselves and the congresswoman’s husband after he reportedly threatened them and destroyed their mailbox.

But 911 calls from the incident, obtained by The Denver Post, show just how upset and nervous the neighbors were over their run-in with Boebert’s husband, Jayson Boebert.

The calls also provide additional context into what the neighbors, in Silt, said amounted to excessive speeding, property damage, possible drunken driving and threats made from a man whose family openly and regularly carries their firearms.

“I’m sure he’s loaded to the hilt. Do you know who his wife is? Lauren Boebert. She’s loaded. They all have guns,” one neighbor told a 911 dispatcher. “He just got chest to chest, face to face, looking to fight.”

That additional context from the calls appears to match the limited information available in reports from Garfield County deputies. But still, Sheriff’s Office spokesman Walter Stowe refused to say why deputies didn’t investigate further and would not provide any additional information.
Quote:
The incident began in the evening hours of Aug. 4, after a neighbor flagged down one of Boebert’s sons asking him to stop speeding up and down their street in a dune buggy, according to the calls and a short incident report filed by deputies.

“He’s going like 50 miles an hour and this is a residential lane, there’s kids,” one neighbor, told 911 dispatchers, according to the audio. “We tried to stop him and he’d just freakin’ cuss at us and just left.”

That neighbor could not immediately be reached for comment, but she was so flustered that she had a difficult time recalling her own phone number when asked by the dispatcher.

“It’s the Boeberts, if you know who the Boeberts are,” she said. “I need the sheriff out here.”

“Our wonderful congresswoman,” someone else said in the background.

By the time the second neighbor called 911, deputies hadn’t yet arrived. During that call, Jayson Boebert reportedly began to run the second neighbor’s mailbox over in a truck.

“There’s about to be some s— going down here,” the second neighbor told dispatchers. “It’s Lauren Boebert’s jackass husband, Jayson Boebert.”

During the call the second neighbor can be heard yelling at Jayson Boebert.

“Stop, you jackass! Get the f— out of here,” he yelled. “Come on, man. What are you doing? What did we do wrong?”
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 08:58 AM   #956
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,132
He seems nice.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 09:32 AM   #957
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 782
Urban hillbillies.
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 09:45 AM   #958
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 50,439
Emptyhead G.:

Quote:
I just filed articles of impeachment against Merrick Garland.
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1558204697193881604

Yeah, good luck with that.
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 10:23 AM   #959
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 15,766
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Emptyhead G.:



https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1558204697193881604

Yeah, good luck with that.
Nothing prevents one of her colleagues from filing impeachment charges against her.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 10:30 AM   #960
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,932
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Nothing prevents one of her colleagues from filing impeachment charges against her.
Well, I think that would be an expulsion not an impeachment.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.