IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 9th August 2022, 01:11 PM   #1761
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
More likely he will just up and die before he ever sees a day in prison or even in a criminal courtroom. And then it will be the fault of Democrats who hounded him to an early grave.
That's why I'm still so sure that nothing will happen to Trump that isn't a "well technically." He will never actually pay for his crimes in any way that matters.

Why? Because there just isn't enough time.

Trump is 76 years old and not exactly the picture of health. Bringing legal action against a President, even if it was in a system that wasn't this broken and tainted, is such new territory that the legal wrangling is going to be drawn out with appeals and challenges for years, probably decades.

And even if he does so what? We're taking away, what his adult diapers and senility years? That's the problem with how everyone in high elected office who's ******* the country over statistically died years ago. We can't do anything to them.

It's like how the only Weinstein we could punish was "one foot already in the grave hobbled over in the walker" Weinstein.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 9th August 2022 at 01:15 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 01:18 PM   #1762
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's why I'm still so sure that nothing will happen to Trump that isn't a "well technically." He will never actually pay for his crimes in any way that matters.

Why? Because there just isn't enough time.

Trump is 76 years old and not exactly the picture of health. Bringing legal action against a President, even if it was in a system that wasn't this broken and tainted, is such new territory that the legal wrangling is going to be drawn out with appeals and challenges for years, probably decades.

And even if he does so what? We're taking away, what his adult diapers and senility years? That's the problem with how everyone in high elected office who's ******* the country over statistically died years ago. We can't do anything to them.

It's like how the only Weinstein we could punish was "one foot already in the grave hobbled over in the walker" Weinstein.
Trump is more likely to flee the USA to some non-repatriating haven, having transferred whatever ill-gotten loot he can take with him. He has absolutely zero loyalty to the USA.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 01:49 PM   #1763
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Maga world is talking about arming up because of the raids. Fox News is calling it "third world country" behavior.

There are way too many crazy people in the USA. White Supremacy is the cancer that keeps coming back. It was in remission for a little while, but the GOP successfully reignited the malignant growth.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 01:51 PM   #1764
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again because we're in a post-fact world. And in a post-fact world justice and revenge look exactly the same.

As long as the Cultist can just deny reality that their God-kind is like... hilariously over the top obviously guilty anything we do to bring him to justice is going to get this response.
Old 9th August 2022, 01:56 PM   #1765
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Maga world is talking about arming up because of the raids. Fox News is calling it "third world country" behavior.

There are way too many crazy people in the USA. White Supremacy is the cancer that keeps coming back. It was in remission for a little while, but the GOP successfully reignited the malignant growth.
So what. You will get a bunch of glowering idiots standing around (or more likely sitting) while fondling their guns. And Fox News creates controversy because it feeds off it. So after a while, when absolutely ******* nothing happens, what are the morons left to do? Watch True Housewives of Peoria again? Have another wank?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 02:01 PM   #1766
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You're acting like we're not less than 2 years out from a violent mob storming the Capital.
Old 9th August 2022, 03:28 PM   #1767
eerok
Quixoticist

This just isn't Trump's day.

Appeals court says House can obtain Trump's taxes from the IRS (cnn.com)
Quote:
A federal appeals court on Tuesday signed off on a House Ways and Means Committee request to obtain former President Donald Trump's tax returns from the Internal Revenue Service.
Old 9th August 2022, 03:42 PM   #1768
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I heard a little snippet on the radio from a former Justice dept. official, suggesting that Trump could publish the contents of the warrant if he so wishes, but that the Justice Dept. will likely not, and that at this point it's quite possible that more than just the stolen archives were included in it. Lots to wait and see about. I'm keeping fingers crossed for something juicy, though I won't be surprised if it magically turns out to be nothing at all except more motivation for the abject anti-democratic base to do some more revolting.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 04:13 AM   #1769
eerok
Quixoticist

The floodgates open further.

After Losing in Court, Donald Trump’s 2016 Campaign Abandons Confidentiality Provisions That Silenced Workers (lawandcrime.com)
Quote:
“The Campaign hereby avows that it shall not ever enforce or attempt to enforce any confidentiality or non-disparagement provisions contained in any written agreements signed by any employees, independent contractors, or volunteers who worked for the Campaign on the 2016 Presidential Election,” said Crate’s declaration, which was signed on June 6, 2022.

The next month, Crate sent a three-sentence letter to all campaign workers releasing them from their obligations under the confidentiality provisions.
This could lead to some interesting disclosures.
Old 10th August 2022, 08:02 AM   #1770
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
So what. You will get a bunch of glowering idiots standing around (or more likely sitting) while fondling their guns. And Fox News creates controversy because it feeds off it. So after a while, when absolutely ******* nothing happens, what are the morons left to do? Watch True Housewives of Peoria again? Have another wank?
I don't think there will be a civil war, but I'm sure the mass shootings in the name of right-wing ideology will accelerate even more. It's on an upward trend.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 08:02 AM   #1771
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Donald J Trump: "If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?"

....Donald Trump declined to answer the New York attorney general’s questions, invoking his Fifth Amendment rights, he said in a statement...

ETA: Forgot a link to the story: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-investigation

Last edited by Darat; 10th August 2022 at 08:05 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 08:06 AM   #1772
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Donald J Trump: "If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?"

....Donald Trump declined to answer the New York attorney general’s questions, invoking his Fifth Amendment rights, he said in a statement...
And with the jokes coming fast and furious after the Mar a Lago raid, one meme lists the 4 or 5 times in 2015/16 he declared "if you're under investigation by the FBI... you're not qualified to be President".

Heh.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 08:09 AM   #1773
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Nation somehow manages to still be shocked and surprised that Donald Trump and the Republican Party have, for the 4,353,323 consecutive time, displayed one set of standards for themselves and another set of standards for other people in a manner so obvious, on the nose, and seemingly intentional that it can only be seen as a deliberate flex."
Old 10th August 2022, 08:15 AM   #1774
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Shocked? Surprised? No - just find it amusing.
Old 10th August 2022, 09:56 AM   #1775
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My conspiracy theory, which is mine: Trump's handpicked FBI director conspired with him to hold the raid in order to arouse the base and improve GQP results in November.
Old 10th August 2022, 10:19 AM   #1776
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
My conspiracy theory, which is mine: Trump's handpicked FBI director conspired with him to hold the raid in order to arouse the base and improve GQP results in November.
Mine is: Trump got Kompromat on Wray, Graham, and many others in his Safe, and Wray wants it for himself.
Old 10th August 2022, 10:28 AM   #1777
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Shocked? Surprised? No - just find it amusing.
I don't find it amusing anymore. Every time the bastards do this, they pull another brick out of the foundation of democracy. It undermines confidence in our nation and government, and that foundation just keeps getting closer to crumbling. The moment that the scum take over this nation again, they will pull out the last bricks, and there will never be another democratic election here again.
Old 10th August 2022, 10:52 AM   #1778
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I don't find it amusing anymore. Every time the bastards do this, they pull another brick out of the foundation of democracy. It undermines confidence in our nation and government, and that foundation just keeps getting closer to crumbling. The moment that the scum take over this nation again, they will pull out the last bricks, and there will never be another democratic election here again.
They will claim that the nation is a strong democracy and that they are doing the will of the people.........just like Putin makes claims about Russia.
Old 10th August 2022, 10:56 AM   #1779
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

When facts don't matter to the degree they don't matter now you can say anything you want. Up is down, black is white, we've always been at war with Eurasia.
Old 10th August 2022, 12:46 PM   #1780
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Never is a long time.
If the GOP does try to do that, I think you will see what amounts to a second civil war.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 01:58 PM   #1781
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
And with the jokes coming fast and furious after the Mar a Lago raid, one meme lists the 4 or 5 times in 2015/16 he declared "if you're under investigation by the FBI... you're not qualified to be President".

Heh.
Snopes says this is unproved and they are still investigating. As of now, they've not been able to find his using those words but only things somewhat similar.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...not-qualified/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 02:15 PM   #1782
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Snopes says this is unproved and they are still investigating. As of now, they've not been able to find his using those words but only things somewhat similar.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...not-qualified/
Solid, I stand corrected.
I like the major padding of the original single instance meme/tweet from 2016... some disinformationist really put the work in.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 02:52 PM   #1783
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump is ever arrested, it would be nice if the arresting officer let Donnie's head hit the roof of the police car as he's forced into the back seat....
Old 10th August 2022, 03:17 PM   #1784
shemp

If Trump is ever arrested, it would be nice if the arresting officer let Donnie's head hit the roof of the police car as he's forced into the back seat....
Even better, leave the back doors open and let him fall out at, say, 80 mph.
Old 10th August 2022, 03:28 PM   #1785
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently kneeling on his throat for 10 minutes would be an effective policing method according to a significant portion of the US population. I would watch that.
Old 10th August 2022, 04:15 PM   #1786
shemp

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Apparently kneeling on his throat for 10 minutes would be an effective policing method according to a significant portion of the US population. I would watch that.
No, they think it would be appropriate for Obama, not Trump.
Old 10th August 2022, 04:34 PM   #1787
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Solid, I stand corrected.
I like the major padding of the original single instance meme/tweet from 2016... some disinformationist really put the work in.
No problem. I posted wrong info that I'd read on the internet today in another thread. Further investigation showed it was wrong, so I acknowledged that. It's happened to all of us.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 06:13 PM   #1788
BillC
Bazooka Joe

It was a Perfect Fifth.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 06:45 PM   #1789
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Even better, leave the back doors open and let him fall out at, say, 80 mph.
With the film sped up, and “Yakety Sax” playing.
Old 10th August 2022, 07:06 PM   #1790
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 07:17 PM   #1791
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
It's amusing, but not a great piece of a satire. I give it straight B.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 07:31 PM   #1792
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It's amusing, but not a great piece of a satire. I give it straight B.
It will still go straight over Trump supporters' heads. Dumb as rocks.
Old 10th August 2022, 08:11 PM   #1793
shemp

Ha! I'm thieving this for elsewhere!
Old 10th August 2022, 08:26 PM   #1794
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
It was a Perfect Fifth.
By a Major Turd.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 09:13 PM   #1795
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Like. Nicked.
Old 11th August 2022, 08:00 AM   #1796
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The next step:
Quote:
In the coming weeks, the AG is expected to file a massive, long-threatened "enforcement action" — essentially a multi-hundred-page lawsuit against the Trumps and his Manhattan-based business.

The lawsuit will seek steep financial penalties for an alleged decadelong pattern of playing fast and loose with the assessed values of Trump Organization properties
Fines and back taxes, however, may be the least of what Trump's facing.

James has signaled she will also seek the dissolution of the business itself under New York's so-called corporate death penalty -- a law that allows the AG to seek to dissolve businesses that operate "in a persistently fraudulent or illegal manner."
https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...ferrer=twitter
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 09:38 AM   #1797
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm wating to see the TV commercials splicing the many times Trump complaining about others taking the Fifth with deposition footage of Trump taking the Fifth 400 plus times.

Should be remembered by Trump that in a civil action it is acceptable for a judge or jury to make a negative inference.
Old 11th August 2022, 11:06 AM   #1798
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm wating to see the TV commercials splicing the many times Trump complaining about others taking the Fifth with deposition footage of Trump taking the Fifth 400 plus times.

Should be remembered by Trump that in a civil action it is acceptable for a judge or jury to make a negative inference.
Here's a minute and a half of him doing just that...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 11th August 2022, 11:17 AM   #1799
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

[quote=acbytesla;13875955

Should be remembered by Trump that in a civil action it is acceptable for a judge or jury to make a negative inference.[/QUOTE]

Which means the potential criminal liability of whatever he won't say must be bad, if he's willing to just tank the civil suit. His lawyers probably gave him the best option: just don't admit to anything. I'm surprised he has the willpower to keep his mouth shut. Lord knows he couldn't keep himself from lying if he didn't.
Old 11th August 2022, 11:24 AM   #1800
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
My question is....

Is the plaintiff/prosecutor allowed to bring up that possibility during any court proceedings? (For example, can they say "do you trust the person who claimed the 5th"? Or can they even bring up Trump's own words... "Trump said guilty people take the 5th and now he's taking the 5th.")

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics