IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th August 2022, 06:38 AM   #1281
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I always use DDMMMYYYY, i.e. 07AUG2022.

Look up ISO 8601, which establishes

Quote:
an internationally agreed way to represent dates: YYYY-MM-DD
For example, September 27, 2012 is represented as 2012-09-27.
Arth could use this as justification for a change in the date format in his situation.

https://www.iso.org/iso-8601-date-and-time-format.html

Last edited by xterra; 7th August 2022 at 06:40 AM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2022, 08:43 AM   #1282
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post

Arth could use this as justification for a change in the date format in his situation.
That solves one problem and exacerbates the main problem that humans are typing these dates. catsmate's solution is less likely to be typed incorrectly and more likely to be correctable by someone else if it is typed wrong in the first place.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2022, 09:01 AM   #1283
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
That solves one problem and exacerbates the main problem that humans are typing these dates. catsmate's solution is less likely to be typed incorrectly and more likely to be correctable by someone else if it is typed wrong in the first place.
And is less likely to be read wrong. A project I worked on we had to get extracts from a hospital's database which was based around the US company Cerner's system and a homegrown datawarehouse. The former used variants of US formats with day and month in the opposite order from the DW which used largely UK data formats. Often we had to guess which format a column used. The few that were free format were a nightmare. And being hospital records you don't want to risk errors.
Old 7th August 2022, 09:48 AM   #1284
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
And is less likely to be read wrong. A project I worked on we had to get extracts from a hospital's database which was based around the US company Cerner's system and a homegrown datawarehouse. The former used variants of US formats with day and month in the opposite order from the DW which used largely UK data formats. Often we had to guess which format a column used. The few that were free format were a nightmare. And being hospital records you don't want to risk errors.
At least before the turn of the millennium, one could figure out which position the year was in, in a six-digit format. Once we got to 2001 and beyond, trying to figure out something like 050308 without a format definition was nigh impossible. I found that problem mostly with expiration dates on stuff in my cupboard and refrigerator.
Old 7th August 2022, 04:06 PM   #1285
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
At least before the turn of the millennium, one could figure out which position the year was in, in a six-digit format. Once we got to 2001 and beyond, trying to figure out something like 050308 without a format definition was nigh impossible. I found that problem mostly with expiration dates on stuff in my cupboard and refrigerator.
Relevant XKCD: https://xkcd.com/1179/

(Note that there's another joke in the mouseover text.)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2022, 07:27 PM   #1286
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Seems to me like there should be separate fields for the date and number of contacts, right there and visible, so you don't have to play with text strings as the title.

You should put in a service request for that change!
In an ideal world, yes. But for now, putting it in the Short Description (ie. title) field works well enough.

Another peeve I have with On Hold incidents. We currently have a number of staff working Incident Management who will take a job, send an email to the client saying, basically, "Here's how to fix the problem: do this, do this, do this and reboot. Let us know how it goes." And then they put the incident On Hold. The instructions they are sending are reliable and are known to fix the reported issue.

To me, this incident should be Resolved, not placed On Hold waiting for them to contact us to tell us it worked. People don't do that. Once they've got the problem fixed, they don't care about our incidents any more. Doing a followup wastes my time and theirs.

Ah well. I have a week off next week. It's been prearranged for ages because I knew that by about this time of the year I'd need to take some downtime. And I do. Thanks, past me!
Old 7th August 2022, 07:31 PM   #1287
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
In an ideal world, yes. But for now, putting it in the Short Description (ie. title) field works well enough.

Another peeve I have with On Hold incidents. We currently have a number of staff working Incident Management who will take a job, send an email to the client saying, basically, "Here's how to fix the problem: do this, do this, do this and reboot. Let us know how it goes." And then they put the incident On Hold. The instructions they are sending are reliable and are known to fix the reported issue.

To me, this incident should be Resolved, not placed On Hold waiting for them to contact us to tell us it worked. People don't do that. Once they've got the problem fixed, they don't care about our incidents any more. Doing a followup wastes my time and theirs.

Ah well. I have a week off next week. It's been prearranged for ages because I knew that by about this time of the year I'd need to take some downtime. And I do. Thanks, past me!
Auto reminder at 7 days: no response = call closed
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2022, 07:40 PM   #1288
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Auto reminder at 7 days: no response = call closed
As I have related before, it's first contact - 3 days - second contact - 3 days - call closed. As the person who does the late shift most often it usually falls to me to do the second contact. It's a pretty easy job, especially since I have boilerplates to copy & paste:

Please phone the Service Desk on extXXXXX (XX XXXX XXXX if calling externally), or reply to this email, and advise whether you still require help with this issue. We may be able to provide additional assistance over the phone.

Please phone the Service Desk on extXXXXX (XX XXXX XXXX if calling externally), or reply to this email, and advise whether you still require assistance with this issue. We contacted you on 01/08/2022 requesting additional information, but have not yet received a reply.

Please phone the Service Desk on extXXXXX (XX XXXX XXXX if calling externally). We will need to remotely access your computer in order to resolve this issue.

--o--

This incident is being resolved as we have attempted to contact you several times with no response received. Should you have any further questions on the matter, or if the problem reoccurs, please either reopen the incident in the Service Desk Portal using the link above, respond to this email, or phone us on extXXXXX (XX XXXX XXXX if calling externally).

--o--

20220810 *1 contact made*
20220810 *2 contacts made*
Old 7th August 2022, 07:45 PM   #1289
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

As I have related before, it's first contact - 3 days - second contact - 3 days - call closed. As the person who does the late shift most often it usually falls to me to do the second contact. It's a pretty easy job, especially since I have boilerplates to copy & paste:

Please phone the Service Desk on extXXXXX (XX XXXX XXXX if calling externally), or reply to this email, and advise whether you still require help with this issue. We may be able to provide additional assistance over the phone.

Please phone the Service Desk on extXXXXX (XX XXXX XXXX if calling externally), or reply to this email, and advise whether you still require assistance with this issue. We contacted you on 01/08/2022 requesting additional information, but have not yet received a reply.

Please phone the Service Desk on extXXXXX (XX XXXX XXXX if calling externally). We will need to remotely access your computer in order to resolve this issue.

--o--

This incident is being resolved as we have attempted to contact you several times with no response received. Should you have any further questions on the matter, or if the problem reoccurs, please either reopen the incident in the Service Desk Portal using the link above, respond to this email, or phone us on extXXXXX (XX XXXX XXXX if calling externally).

--o--

20220810 *1 contact made*
20220810 *2 contacts made*
There you go.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2022, 10:03 PM   #1290
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

We did that for a while at my workplace. Then we moved to a system where the ticket was marked "Resolved" if the tech believed the problem was solved. The user could reopen the ticket at any time in the next three days and say there was more wrong. After three days with no contact it was marked "closed". If the user called again after that you started a new ticket and put in a link to the previous ticket.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2022, 10:40 PM   #1291
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
We did that for a while at my workplace. Then we moved to a system where the ticket was marked "Resolved" if the tech believed the problem was solved. The user could reopen the ticket at any time in the next three days and say there was more wrong. After three days with no contact it was marked "closed". If the user called again after that you started a new ticket and put in a link to the previous ticket.
That's exactly what we do. Except that apparently some of us don't.
Old 8th August 2022, 03:21 AM   #1292
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

When I worked as support for a bunch of hospitals the children's hospital was always quick to add "for the children!!" in every ticket and call, to emphasize how much more urgent and important their problems were. A printer is spitting out an extra sheet of blank paper after every once-daily batch print? For the children!! highest priority. Much more so than every anesthesia device in ten operating rooms stopped working.

The CHILDREN!! business soon stopped after a new manager was put over support. He reasoned that if each ticket were truly that incredibly urgent we should of course contact the user immediately and constantly to keep continual updates on these urgent fixes. Including calling them at home in the middle of the night and if we couldn't reach them moving up their chain of command until we got someone.

Apparently presidents of hospitals do not enjoy being woken at 3 a.m. over a printer issue on one workstation at a secretary's desk. Ticket priority was more carefully assigned after that, and the children's hospital sulked for two whole years.
Old 8th August 2022, 05:56 AM   #1293
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I like it when priority designations are descriptive, for example, choices indicating how many people are affected, whether it stops work, incurs significant risk, etc.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2022, 06:22 AM   #1294
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I like it when priority designations are descriptive, for example, choices indicating how many people are affected, whether it stops work, incurs significant risk, etc.
Agreed. Later we got a more modern system going, where users entering tickets indicated impact in both severity and extent, and the priority would then be assigned by the software assessing both values. Rather than letting the user decide on a scale 1 to 5 how critical it is. A serious problem for one person might equal a minor problem for a thousand people, depending. Much better than letting an irritated nurse vent her frustration about "a too-clicky mouse" in the middle of the night.
Old 8th August 2022, 12:46 PM   #1295
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

When I worked as support for a bunch of hospitals the children's hospital was always quick to add "for the children!!" in every ticket and call, to emphasize how much more urgent and important their problems were. A printer is spitting out an extra sheet of blank paper after every once-daily batch print? For the children!! highest priority. Much more so than every anesthesia device in ten operating rooms stopped working.

The CHILDREN!! business soon stopped after a new manager was put over support. He reasoned that if each ticket were truly that incredibly urgent we should of course contact the user immediately and constantly to keep continual updates on these urgent fixes. Including calling them at home in the middle of the night and if we couldn't reach them moving up their chain of command until we got someone.

Apparently presidents of hospitals do not enjoy being woken at 3 a.m. over a printer issue on one workstation at a secretary's desk. Ticket priority was more carefully assigned after that, and the children's hospital sulked for two whole years.
Brilliant! Sometimes the cleverest response is to play the game.
Old 8th August 2022, 09:01 PM   #1296
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay, this is the weirdest ticket title I've ever seen:

(click for clearer image)
Old 8th August 2022, 09:16 PM   #1297
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Doesn't seem that weird. A bit incoherent. Do you have any tickets in your system that are completely and totally incorrect for the system they were submitted to?

I think we have one in ours where someone logged a ticket because he needed to board a train in about 30 minutes.

"Please help. I'm at <station> and need to get on the <x:xx> train to <destination>"

Yes, this is our standard IT help ticket system that thousands of people prior to him were able to understand was usable for email problems and password changes and other IT services. Maybe he confused "IT Ticket" and "Train ticket"?

(There were no further comments from the user on the ticket. It was simply closed. I don't think there was any sort of explanation trying to disabuse him of our ability to purchase travel vouchers at short notice. I hope he caught his train...)
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2022, 11:28 PM   #1298
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
Doesn't seem that weird. A bit incoherent. Do you have any tickets in your system that are completely and totally incorrect for the system they were submitted to?
Of course. I call it a sparrow in the stairwell. One time we had someone call the Help Desk (it was before they were called Service Desks) because a literal bird had become trapped in a stairwell.

As it turns out, I think I know what this is supposed to be, and no, it shouldn't have come to us. It's a HR/Recruitment thing.
Old 8th August 2022, 11:44 PM   #1299
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, this is the weirdest ticket title I've ever seen:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1db9c38178.png
(click for clearer image)
Is there a system called "Transcend" in your organisation? Something that sounds like that? Or an HR process with that name?

Because a Director-of-(Nursing | Numptiness | Nothing) called Rodney is being killed by that method.

It's HR, regardless.
Old 8th August 2022, 11:46 PM   #1300
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've actually done some sleuthing and worked it out. A DoN is a Deed of Novation, which is used to legally transfer the rights and responsibilities of a contract from one entity to another. In this case the DoN was executed to transfer them from a person named Rodney to an organisation named Transcend.

i.e not HR but Legal.

It was cced to a bunch of other people. I closed the ticket with the comment "No action required by Service Desk".
Old 8th August 2022, 11:54 PM   #1301
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I've actually done some sleuthing and worked it out. A DoN is a Deed of Novation, which is used to legally transfer the rights and responsibilities of a contract from one entity to another. In this case the DoN was executed to transfer them from a person named Rodney to an organisation named Transcend.

i.e not HR but Legal.

It was cced to a bunch of other people. I closed the ticket with the comment "No action required by Service Desk".
See, I was THAT close!
Old 9th August 2022, 12:05 AM   #1302
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
See, I was THAT close!
Couldn't have done it without you, Norm.
Old 9th August 2022, 06:44 AM   #1303
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

i.e not HR but Legal.

Fool! This was your one chance to stop Rodney! With Don's murder that made the 12,685 human sacrifices necessary for Rodney to transcend this plane of existence and become a demimortal demon god! If you had responded to the ticket properly by stabbing Rodney with the Six Daggers of Xabaoth you could have averted the apocalypse! It's now too late!! Rodney is even now flying through the demon dimension gathering power, and has been in talks with lawyers as well!!!!
Old 9th August 2022, 09:06 AM   #1304
Wudang
BOFH

Yeah about that. The Six Daggers of Xabaoth are still sitting in the delivery area as we can't figure out how to enter them as Configuration Items in the CMDB.
Old 9th August 2022, 01:43 PM   #1305
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah about that. The Six Daggers of Xabaoth are still sitting in the delivery area as we can't figure out how to enter them as Configuration Items in the CMDB.
Miscellaneous widgets.
Old 9th August 2022, 03:09 PM   #1306
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by xterra View Post

https://www.iso.org/iso-8601-date-and-time-format.html
I'm quite familiar with 8601. When it actually becomes a generally used standard I will embrace it happily. This hasn't happened in the last thirty years and I'm somewhat doubtful, barring generalised user re-education via CPT, that it will happen soon.
Meanwhile in the Real World it's more important to deal with the problems caused by DDMMYYYY and MMDDYYYY.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 03:10 PM   #1307
catsmate
No longer the 1

I've had international project meetings be missed because of the problem. I've lost count of the hassle in conversion, especially the time lost.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 06:20 AM   #1308
Armitage72
Philosopher

In this case the DoN was executed to transfer them from a person named Rodney to an organisation named Transcend.

My first thought was a joke I heard as a kid about a man checking a book out of the library called "How to Hug" only to discover that it was a volume of an encyclopedia.
In retrospect, it must have been a really inclusive encyclopedia to have a volume with such a small entry range or a really thin book.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 01:02 PM   #1309
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's the newest demand, which I'm assuming one of my users got from a book of logic puzzles right next to the one about getting the wolf, goat, and bag of grain across the river.

There's a PC at the front desk.
User 1 has to be able to search job sites.
User 2 cannot be able to search job sites.
Users 1 and 2 have to share a login, the "workflow" (oh how I have come to despise that word) cannot support the time it would take for one of them to log out and the other log in, so a group login has to be used.
Put two PCs at the front desk.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 01:13 PM   #1310
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I'm quite familiar with 8601. When it actually becomes a generally used standard I will embrace it happily. This hasn't happened in the last thirty years and I'm somewhat doubtful, barring generalised user re-education via CPT, that it will happen soon.

Meanwhile in the Real World it's more important to deal with the problems caused by DDMMYYYY and MMDDYYYY.
I blame the founding fathers.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2022, 02:50 PM   #1311
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Put two PCs at the front desk.
Right, and these police constables could arrest the workers if they attempt to exceed their rightful permissions.
Old 11th August 2022, 03:16 PM   #1312
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the newest demand, which I'm assuming one of my users got from a book of logic puzzles right next to the one about getting the wolf, goat, and bag of grain across the river.

There's a PC at the front desk.
User 1 has to be able to search job sites.
User 2 cannot be able to search job sites.
Users 1 and 2 have to share a login, the "workflow" (oh how I have come to despise that word) cannot support the time it would take for one of them to log out and the other log in, so a group login has to be used.
Price out a biometric system for identifying the user by facial recognition, and the development costs of adapting the job site software to assign permissions according to the results without changing the login.

Then ask if they're sure they don't just want two logins.

Old 11th August 2022, 03:59 PM   #1313
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Price out a biometric system for identifying the user by facial recognition, and the development costs of adapting the job site software to assign permissions according to the results without changing the login.

Then ask if they're sure they don't just want two logins.
Nah, users are notorious for finding a way to bypass security and proper procedure just in order to be lazy. If you install facial recognition as a requirement to login on Monday, by Thursday the users will be swapping faces to get around it. Anything to get out of memorizing their passwords!
Old 11th August 2022, 08:36 PM   #1314
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

One of the best parts of having a week off next week is going to be not taking VIP calls.
Old 11th August 2022, 11:59 PM   #1315
catsmate
No longer the 1

Nah, users are notorious for finding a way to bypass security and proper procedure just in order to be lazy. If you install facial recognition as a requirement to login on Monday, by Thursday the users will be swapping faces to get around it. Anything to get out of memorizing their passwords!
Last week one of my SOs and I were dropping some supplies off to a friend at her boat when she decided that this was the perfect time, about 9PM, to drop down to her excellent local pub. She was paying, for the three of us, via Revolut. The facial recognition was hilarious, she has to scrunch up her face for the app to accept her.
Old 12th August 2022, 12:00 AM   #1316
catsmate
No longer the 1

One of the best parts of having a week off next week is going to be not taking VIP calls.
Cue Covid related emergency call out, exigency of service, in 10...9...8...
Old 12th August 2022, 02:00 AM   #1317
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

That scandal that has hit our company and has featured in the UK Sunday papers still hasn't been mentioned by management. About six months since the implementation... tumbleweeds.

Explains why we can't get simple changes to THAT system done in anything like a reasonable time, because they're fighting the terrific skip fire
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 05:44 AM   #1318
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Now I'm imagining them carrying in a cardboard cutout of each others' faces on a stick.

Old 12th August 2022, 06:59 AM   #1319
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Now I'm imagining them carrying in a cardboard cutout of each others' faces on a stick.
I was imagining something more like the movie Face/Off.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 10:38 AM   #1320
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

//Long story short//

Person B, the one who isn't allowed on job searching sites, mans the desk most of the time doing normal front desk stuff, answering the phone, greeting people and directing to places, accepting packages, nothing out of the ordinary.

Person A mans the desk during a specific timeframe when they do like a "speed dating" version of job interviews, a bunch of people rapid fire, weeding out the people who don't deserve a full sit down interview. Person A has job searching sites up during this process to review these applicants.

No it doesn't make any sense to me either.
So how did it get resolved in the end?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet