IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Derek Chauvin , George Floyd , murder cases , police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Reply
Old 7th July 2022, 01:29 PM   #2241
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,325
Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin will serve 245 months in prison for violating George Floyd’s civil rights.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/der...-22/index.html
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2022, 02:05 PM   #2242
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 6,569
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin will serve 245 months in prison for violating George Floyd’s civil rights.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/der...-22/index.html

Quote:
Federal prosecutors asked the court for Chauvin’s sentence to run concurrently with his state charges.

Does he get to go to a more comfortable and safe prison now?
__________________
Tell them Johnny Wadd is here.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2022, 03:33 PM   #2243
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,304
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin will serve 245 months in prison for violating George Floyd’s civil rights.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/der...-22/index.html
Excellent!

I was hoping he would get the full 25, but I'll take it. A racist murdering scumbag is off the streets for the next 20+ years.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Does he get to go to a more comfortable and safe prison now?
That will be a decision for the US Bureau of Prisons. He is currently in "administrative segregation" at the Minnesota's maximum security prison at Oak Park Heights. He's been largely confined to a 10-by-10-foot room, which he's been allowed to leave for an average of one hour a day for exercise.

It is likely he would be moved to a Federal Prison out of state, for his own safety. Aside from the fact that ex-cops become targets in prisons, in a state prison, he is more likely likely to encounter an inmate with a grievance against him.
.
.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2022, 09:35 PM   #2244
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 104,580
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Excellent!

I was hoping he would get the full 25, but I'll take it. A racist murdering scumbag is off the streets for the next 20+ years.



That will be a decision for the US Bureau of Prisons. He is currently in "administrative segregation" at the Minnesota's maximum security prison at Oak Park Heights. He's been largely confined to a 10-by-10-foot room, which he's been allowed to leave for an average of one hour a day for exercise.

It is likely he would be moved to a Federal Prison out of state, for his own safety. Aside from the fact that ex-cops become targets in prisons, in a state prison, he is more likely likely to encounter an inmate with a grievance against him.
.
.
I think Warp12 will be against that idea, after all to use their argument about Floyd’s responsibility for his own death we can word it as “ Chauvin is the one who had the most control of his fate. Chauvin failed himself. And his sentence for that failure was imprisonment. “ So why should we or the authorities be concerned about his safety whilst imprisoned, so he gets extra-judicial punishment, that’s his fault, that’s his problem not ours.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you

Last edited by Darat; 7th July 2022 at 09:36 PM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 03:17 AM   #2245
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 6,569
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think Warp12 will be against that idea, after all to use their argument about Floyd’s responsibility for his own death we can word it as “ Chauvin is the one who had the most control of his fate. Chauvin failed himself. And his sentence for that failure was imprisonment. “ So why should we or the authorities be concerned about his safety whilst imprisoned, so he gets extra-judicial punishment, that’s his fault, that’s his problem not ours.

To a large extent you are correct.

The federal trial was for what purpose? Symbolic?
__________________
Tell them Johnny Wadd is here.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 04:13 AM   #2246
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,304
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
To a large extent you are correct.

The federal trial was for what purpose? Symbolic?
My Pick: To make sure that he got a lengthy sentence with no parole, and no chance that a pissed off police-loving future Governor of Minnesota could get him out of jail by pardoning him.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 05:31 AM   #2247
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,325
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
My Pick: To make sure that he got a lengthy sentence with no parole, and no chance that a pissed off police-loving future Governor of Minnesota could get him out of jail by pardoning him.
Minnesota actually has some of the most restrictive pardon powers. Minnesota is one of the few states where the Governor has to get permission from a separate non-partisan Pardon Review Board before granting an Pardon and to the best of my knowledge the only state where the it requires unanimous approval of the Pardon Review Board.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 06:45 AM   #2248
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,152
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Does he get to go to a more comfortable and safe prison now?
Not automatically, as smartcooky said, but it's possible. I don't really know what you mean by "safe" prison though. He's about as safe as he's going to be right now, you can tell because nothing has happened to him. Even IF they move him to a federal prison there will be PoC that have seen the trial, know the name, and won't be too pleased about him being there.

The only way to make sure he's safe is to keep him isolated. Which is just....well it's just damned outstanding. The next quarter of his life is going to be absolutely miserable. It'll be terrible. He'll hate waking up every day knowing he has to go through the exact same routine just because he thought his power would protect him.

I wish I could be there to bask in his misery.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 08:54 AM   #2249
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,325
To me it's more of a... I hate to symbolic but I can't think of a better term... thing.

He's guilty. So every time the question "Is he guilty?" gets ask it needs to come back "Yes, absolutely."

(It's hard to put exactly what I'm trying to get across into words, but that's the broad gist of it)
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 09:22 AM   #2250
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA (in the Troll Ignoring Section)
Posts: 20,001
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Not automatically, as smartcooky said, but it's possible. I don't really know what you mean by "safe" prison though. He's about as safe as he's going to be right now, you can tell because nothing has happened to him. Even IF they move him to a federal prison there will be PoC that have seen the trial, know the name, and won't be too pleased about him being there.

The only way to make sure he's safe is to keep him isolated. Which is just....well it's just damned outstanding. The next quarter of his life is going to be absolutely miserable. It'll be terrible. He'll hate waking up every day knowing he has to go through the exact same routine just because he thought his power would protect him.

I wish I could be there to bask in his misery.
One can only hope the prison has a wake up alarm playing "I got you Babe". Floyd's "Breathe" might be too tacky.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 01:31 PM   #2251
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,325
Nearly $1.5 million settlement approved for correctional officers of color who were barred from guarding Derek Chauvin

(CNN) - The Ramsey County Board of Commissioners in Minnesota on Tuesday approved a nearly $1.5 million settlement agreement for eight correctional officers of color who were barred from guarding former police officer Derek Chauvin in 2020.

The correctional officers claimed in a lawsuit last year that the Ramsey County Adult Detention Center prohibited them from "interacting with or guarding Chauvin," who is White, "or going anywhere" on the floor where he was held in what the suit called a "segregation" order given by the detention center's superintendent, Steve Lydon.

CNN has reached out to the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office, which runs the detention center, for comment but has not received a response.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/us/de...ent/index.html
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 05:24 PM   #2252
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 32,991
Chauvin, the gift that keeps on giving.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2022, 06:21 AM   #2253
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 52,865
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Nearly $1.5 million settlement approved for correctional officers of color who were barred from guarding Derek Chauvin

(CNN) - The Ramsey County Board of Commissioners in Minnesota on Tuesday approved a nearly $1.5 million settlement agreement for eight correctional officers of color who were barred from guarding former police officer Derek Chauvin in 2020.

The correctional officers claimed in a lawsuit last year that the Ramsey County Adult Detention Center prohibited them from "interacting with or guarding Chauvin," who is White, "or going anywhere" on the floor where he was held in what the suit called a "segregation" order given by the detention center's superintendent, Steve Lydon.

CNN has reached out to the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office, which runs the detention center, for comment but has not received a response.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/us/de...ent/index.html
Hmm is the decision from Steve Lydon an admission that correctional officers are violent unprofessional individuals or just the black ones. Would he also bar white officers from guarding a black criminal who killed a white person?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.