IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags roe v wade

Old 24th June 2022, 09:47 AM   #1
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The Roe v. Wade Strikedown - June 24, 2022

Well, there it is. Fifty years of precedent annulled.
Old 24th June 2022, 09:52 AM   #2
d4m10n
Philosopher

Write-ups:

https://nyti.ms/3HNJsG4

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...alization-roe/

https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/06/s...t-to-abortion/

Opinion PDF:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...-1392_6j37.pdf

Last edited by d4m10n; 24th June 2022 at 09:54 AM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 09:55 AM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The US is now totally ******.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 09:56 AM   #4
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

I might’ve titled the thread “Roe v. Wade Aborted,” but I’m a ninny that way.
Old 24th June 2022, 09:57 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

In his write up Clarence all but announces that contraceptives and the basic idea that marriages fall under the concept of privacy are next.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:04 AM   #6
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

We are at a solid middle of the pack ranking when it comes to women's heath issues*. Post Roe, the status of women's health in the USA will be a race to the bottom.

* For developing countries and if we don't consider only certain ethnic groups.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:10 AM   #7
Warp12
King of Kings

So, what immediate changes in state law can we expect now?
Old 24th June 2022, 10:11 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
26 states have "trigger" laws to put the, as you call them, "split tails" in their place. Expect them to be put into action... literally as we speak.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:19 AM   #9
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In his write up Clarence all but announces that contraceptives and the basic idea that marriages fall under the concept of privacy are next.
He's a doddering fool. Most of these people grasp that abortion is a visceral thing for the conservative base but going after birth control would be the exact opposite and they'd probably use all of their pretzel logic to avoid those ramifications even though they logically follow. They aren't all of a sudden going to shoot themselves in the foot with intellectual consistency they don't have.

Abortion isn't going to hurt them much. They will politically get away with this one. Going after condoms and blowjobs would be more of a problem for what should be obvious reasons.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:23 AM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm just saying that winning their biggest politic fight of... ever for any timescale worth talking about here is not going to make them less embolden to try to get more stuff done.

No we can't guess what it's going to be nor predict it based on any version of sanity or logic, but nothing that sane people hold dear really feels safe right now.

We might know what's next, but they WILL NOT stop at Roe is still accurate, I think.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 24th June 2022 at 10:24 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:25 AM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I'm just saying that winning their biggest politic fight of... ever for any timescale worth talking about here is not going to make them less embolden to try to get more stuff done.

No we can't guess what it's going to be nor predict it based on any version of sanity or logic, but nothing that sane people hold dear really feels safe right now.
Itís time for Biden to stack the SC.

He wonít have the guts of course.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:26 AM   #12
llwyd
Graduate Poster

26 states have "trigger" laws to put the, as you call them, "split tails" in their place. Expect them to be put into action... literally as we speak.
Many of them are rather draconian as regards rape and incest etc. Actually downright horrible and disgusting that is. Could there be at least some sort of backlash against these in the sharia states?

And in any case hospitals will be supercautious in treating pregnant women to avoid murder and manslaughter charges - and poor women who suffer miscarriages, I'm sure many will be brutally investigated. Such interesting minds conservatives have - it's like they really do like the 17th century...
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:26 AM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

That's a pipe dream and it's not Biden's fault. The Dems will eat each other alive picking new SCOTUS members.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:27 AM   #14
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
He's a doddering fool. Most of these people grasp that abortion is a visceral thing for the conservative base but going after birth control would be the exact opposite and they'd probably use all of their pretzel logic to avoid those ramifications even though they logically follow. They aren't all of a sudden going to shoot themselves in the foot with intellectual consistency they don't have.

Abortion isn't going to hurt them much. They will politically get away with this one. Going after condoms and blowjobs would be more of a problem for what should be obvious reasons.
The wide consensus that justified how we knew that overturning Roe v. Wade was never going to happen was that it would hurt Republicans politically.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:29 AM   #15
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah we've pretty much used up the nation's strategic rope supply giving it to the Republicans to hang themselves and that hasn't exactly worked out for us.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:31 AM   #16
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

He lists cases that align with the Roe doctrine of substantive due process leading to privacy rights, which the Court has now abandoned. Suspiciously and notably missing from that list is Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967), the case in which a unanimous Warren Court granted him (a Black man) the right to marry his white wife according to the doctrine of substantive due process. Justice Alito makes much of the right to an abortion not being found in the Constitution (a stupid, straw-man argument to be sure), but Justice Thomas doesn't seem to mind that the right to marry isn't found there either.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:35 AM   #17
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Republican's aren't going to avoid going after contraceptives because of a backlash for the same reason they aren't scared of a backlash against abortion.

THEY can still get abortions. I guarantee you that Gaetz will have zero trouble finding an abortion for the next 12 year old he rapes and knocks up.

Same thing with contraceptives and health care. They are 100% comfortable taking those away because they will still be able to get it.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 24th June 2022 at 10:40 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:37 AM   #18
Armitage72
Philosopher

I wonder if any of the trigger laws have clauses criminalizing interstate travel to obtain an abortion. I think I recall that being discussed here at some point, but maybe in the context of something that got rejected.
"Not only is it illegal to get an abortion here, if you leave and get an abortion somewhere else, we'll arrest you when you come back."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:37 AM   #19
d4m10n
Philosopher

Is this Cancel Culture?
Is someone trying to get Alito fired?

If so, there is a thread for it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 24th June 2022 at 10:38 AM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:39 AM   #20
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
He lists cases that align with the Roe doctrine of substantive due process leading to privacy rights, which the Court has now abandoned. Suspiciously and notably missing from that list is Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967), the case in which a unanimous Warren Court granted him (a Black man) the right to marry his white wife according to the doctrine of substantive due process. Justice Alito makes much of the right to an abortion not being found in the Constitution (a stupid, straw-man argument to be sure), but Justice Thomas doesn't seem to mind that the right to marry isn't found there either.
He he voted to gut the VRA. He will vote to overturn Loving v Virginia. He knows he is safe and secure from the consequences.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:40 AM   #21
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I wonder if any of the trigger laws have clauses criminalizing interstate travel to obtain an abortion. I think I recall that being discussed here at some point, but maybe in the context of something that got rejected.
"Not only is it illegal to get an abortion here, if you leave and get an abortion somewhere else, we'll arrest you when you come back."
I think the Texas laws cover traveling to get an abortion.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:41 AM   #22
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Not a question of guts. If he adds, say, three justices, the next Repub will add four, etc., etc. The result would turn the SC into a beach ball. The real solution would be term limits, so a justice could only serve 16 or 18 years. That could require a Constitutional amendment, but it might be possible via legislation.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:41 AM   #23
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Is the name Gilead still available? I mean the United States of America is both bland and untrue.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th June 2022, 10:41 AM   #24
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Is someone trying to get Alito fired?

If so, there is a thread for it.
Do you mean impeached? That is the only process to remove a federal judge.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:42 AM   #25
Suddenly
No Punting

We might know what's next, but they WILL NOT stop at Roe is still accurate, I think.
Sure, but the unifying aspect to all of this is that absent the occasional hiccup from Thomas or Gorsuch this is all about conservative policy making. That this decision logically leads to something is wildly irrelevant.

This is really as far as they need to go down this road. They've got plenty of work in other areas to make life worse (regulatory deference, voting rights, guns, criminal rights, etc).

It isn't so much optimism that they aren't going any further as much as their depravity isn't well served by it. There aren't people out there demonstrating in front of condom factories with pictures of sperm cells.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:45 AM   #26
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Certainly not any changes to laws that would better child welfare in the Gilead states because conservatives don't actually care about children and never did.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:51 AM   #27
johnny karate

Sure, but the unifying aspect to all of this is that absent the occasional hiccup from Thomas or Gorsuch this is all about conservative policy making. That this decision logically leads to something is wildly irrelevant.

This is really as far as they need to go down this road. They've got plenty of work in other areas to make life worse (regulatory deference, voting rights, guns, criminal rights, etc).

It isn't so much optimism that they aren't going any further as much as their depravity isn't well served by it. There aren't people out there demonstrating in front of condom factories with pictures of sperm cells.
You greatly underestimate the right wing's ability to gin up nonsense culture wars and have their legion of cultists immediately fall into lockstep.

Do you remember a month ago when no one gave a **** about drag queen shows? Do you remember two or so years ago when no one had ever heard of critical race theory?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:54 AM   #28
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Right Wing trolls will care about whatever they are told to care about by their masters.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:59 AM   #29
esquel
Collector of Meteorites

I posted it in the USA Politics thread -- anyone have a good, vetted list of sites to help people who are in trouble because their state suddenly forbade abortion? I want to donate.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:02 AM   #30
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Thomas wrote that in a separate, concurring opinion; Alito specifically stated that this would have no bearing on birth control or gay marriage:

Quote:
"Finally, the dissent suggests that our decision calls into question Griswold, Eisenstadt, Lawrence, and Obergefell. But we have stated unequivocally that '[n]othing in this opinion should be understood to cast doubt on precedents that do not concern abortion.' We have also explained why that is so: rights regarding contraception and same-sex relationships are inherently different from the right to abortion because the latter (as we have stressed) uniquely involves what Roe and Casey termed 'potential life.'"
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 11:03 AM   #31
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Thomas wrote that in a separate, concurring opinion; Alito specifically stated that this would have no bearing on birth control or gay marriage:
That's ******* funny. If you can't trust Alito then who can you trust? Christ.
ďThere are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.Ē - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 11:06 AM   #32
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Hey, good news everyone!

A conservative said that, despite a thing being at the forefront of the conservative agenda, they totally won't do that thing, so everyone can relax now!

Last edited by johnny karate; 24th June 2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:06 AM   #33
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

https://twitter.com/Nextlaunch/statu...68806027075593

Originally Posted by NextLaunch
@Nextlaunch
Does this mean that US launches can only be postponed, delayed or scrubbed?
Old 24th June 2022, 11:07 AM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Seriously it's like marrying a spouse who's name is Mr. Cheater VonAdulter McInfidelity Esq and getting shocked when you catch them banging the babysitter.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:07 AM   #35
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
You greatly underestimate the right wing's ability to gin up nonsense culture wars and have their legion of cultists immediately fall into lockstep.

Do you remember a month ago when no one gave a **** about drag queen shows? Do you remember two or so years ago when no one had ever heard of critical race theory?
All of that is abstract to their existence.

White guys who have pickup trucks would get testy about a condom and blowjob ban.

That's the difference here. Might as well be about beer.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:10 AM   #36
johnny karate

Seriously it's like marrying a spouse who's name is Mr. Cheater VonAdulter McInfidelity Esq and getting shocked when you catch them banging the babysitter.
... after you caught them banging the previous babysitter and they told you they would never do it again.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:11 AM   #37
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

White guys who have pickup trucks would get testy about a condom and blowjob ban.

There was an article a while back, wish I could find it again, from an abortion clinic worker. You know the big secret?

Anti-abortion women get abortions ALL THE TIME. Not like fluke cases or even a huge minority but like... commonly.

Do you think they have changes of heart? No, they don't. This woman had, as a common occurrence, women screaming at her that she was going to go to hell for being a baby killer... WHILE SHE WAS PERFOMING THEIR ABORTIONS.

This is the level of compartmentalization and reality denials we are fighting against.

I hope you are right, and I mean that with zero snark, but... I don't think you are.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 24th June 2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:15 AM   #38
johnny karate

And now you're overestimating the level of self-preservation conservatives have when balanced agains sticking it to the libs. Remember when vaccines weren't controversial and conservatives weren't dying by the thousands because Fox News told them to?

Also, this scenario you've created in which some MAGA cultist in a pickup truck cares about safe sex is quite fanciful.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:17 AM   #39
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

https://twitter.com/gathara/status/1540371540839219201

Originally Posted by gathara
@gathara
#BREAKING Far white, ***** Christianist extremist judges in US Supreme Court vote to overturn ruling giving women right to reproductive health, as armed, anti-math fundamentalist militants and politicians push to impose draconian religious edicts on the banana-exporting republic.

#BREAKING African humanitarian workers preparing for mass internal displacement and possible violence across troubled US as women are forced to travel hundreds of kilometres to access reproductive health services following abortion ruling by extremist-controlled Supreme Court.

#BREAKING AU envoys appeal for calm across troubled US as protests break out following fatwa by ***** Christianist fundamentalists on Supreme Court limiting women's reproductive health choices, with protesters calling for "day of rage" to force aging ruler, Joe Biden, to act.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:18 AM   #40
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Hey, good news everyone!

A conservative said that, despite a thing being at the forefront of the conservative agenda, they totally won't do that thing, so everyone can relax now!
Banning contraception or getting rid of gay marriage are not really hot topics in conservative circles these days.

Quote:
In interviews with Republican operatives, former Trump administration officials, and conservative leaders, there is a widespread acceptance that debate over marriage equality is settled. There is no serious discussion about trying to overturn Obergefell v. Hodges, the landmark Supreme Court case that ruled states are required by law to recognize the marriage of same-sex couples. There were openly gay officials working at the highest levels of the Trump administration. And in Congress, the gay rights movement has found allies in up and coming Republican stars like Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas), Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.), and Rep. Young Kim (R-Calif.).
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events