IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th July 2022, 11:08 AM   #1
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Difference between Republicans and Democrats

Today we saw the stark difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Democratic California Governor Gavin Newsom said in a video posted to*Twitter*that $100 million from the state budget he recently signed for 2022-2023 would be allocated for California to “contract and make our own insulin at a cheaper price, close to at cost, and to make it available to all.” Half of the $100 million would go toward the development of a “low-cost” insulin, Newsom said. The other $50 million would go toward a facility in the state to manufacture insulin that would “provide new, high-paying jobs and a stronger supply chain for the drug.”

Republicans on the other hand do nothing except promote hate and death.
Old 8th July 2022, 11:13 AM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Leave it to a Tax and Spend Democrat to lounge around in the bathroom tweeting while he increases the tax burden on hard working Californians. Buncha Commies.

Eta: this is like $3 per year per living soul in Cali. That's like a big bag of chips in this market. Chip hating pinkos

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 8th July 2022 at 11:16 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 11:30 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The biggest difference is that Republicans think that our best days are behind us, and Democrats think that the best is still to come.
Old 8th July 2022, 11:31 AM   #4
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Leave it to a Tax and Spend Democrat to lounge around in the bathroom tweeting while he increases the tax burden on hard working Californians. Buncha Commies.

Eta: this is like $3 per year per living soul in Cali. That's like a big bag of chips in this market. Chip hating pinkos
This should save individuals as much as $100 a month. In California there are a about one million individuals that require insulin. This pays for itself many times over.

Damn Califoria pinkos.
Old 8th July 2022, 11:33 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- The difference between Republicans and Democrats is that any minute now a bunch of Democratic Trolls aren't going to flood this thread making claims, literally everyone of which are lies.

- Every Democrat fear or accusation ISN'T a confession.

- Democrats aren't intentionally wrong about literally everything and don't try to make that our problem.

- Democrats don't have a "Dare you to do something about" chip on their shoulder about everything they are wrong about.

- Democrats don't belong to a death cult.
Old 8th July 2022, 11:48 AM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
- The difference between Republicans and Democrats is that any minute now a bunch of Democratic Trolls aren't going to flood this thread making claims, literally everyone of which are lies.

- Every Democrat fear or accusation ISN'T a confession.

- Democrats aren't intentionally wrong about literally everything and don't try to make that our problem.

- Democrats don't have a "Dare you to do something about" chip on their shoulder about everything they are wrong about.

- Democrats don't belong to a death cult.
- Democrats don't intentionally try to destroy this nation and then pick up the pieces for power and profit.
Old 8th July 2022, 12:06 PM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This should save individuals as much as $100 a month. In California there are a about one million individuals that require insulin. This pays for itself many times over.

Damn Califoria pinkos.
That's like $33 bags of chips per individual. So what are we talking, an offset savings for Big Insulin Consumers? Like student tuition vouchers, right? And where are posters here supposed to get chips to put on their shoulders if Californians are hogging them all up? You guys just don't see the Big Picture.

As an irrelevant aside, kudos to Cali for the efforts. Now they just gotta continue knocking that insulin cost down to where other first-world countries have it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 12:09 PM   #8
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Wait what? ****. I'm always the last to find about about these things, I was all ready to get started. Had my pronouns picked out and everything.

We still get the check from Soros though, right?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 12:25 PM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

I just told my co-worker this (he and his mother are type 2 diabetics) and it's got him fairly hopeful. His parents are here on asylum status and he's here on a work visa. His parents don't really qualify for medical insurance, and they're too old to work (in their late 60s, early 70s) so he's paying for the insulin out of pocket. There are a few programs that help him a bit but he said this would save him hundreds or more a month.

This is good news. Partisan politics aside this would really, really help someone like him.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 12:33 PM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- A Democratic Vice President has never shot someone in the face with a shotgun, made them apologize, and that being the LEAST evil thing they ever did.

- Democrats don't stay sycophantic to people after they call their wife ugly.

- Democrats don't bring snowballs onto the floor of Congress to try and disprove global warming.

- Oh no, Democratic Congressman literally was (and arguably still is) involved in a plot to get fellow Congressmen murdered.
Old 8th July 2022, 12:36 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
- Democrats don't intentionally try to destroy this nation and then pick up the pieces for power and profit.
Yet. GIve them time, since I feel some Dems have caught the same plague that that has wrecked the GOP.
Yes, I want a third option.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 12:36 PM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh Democrats can and do actually win fair, non-rigged, elections.
Old 8th July 2022, 12:37 PM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And people in hell want ice water. You get two choices, suck it up.

You think all of us like the Democrats? No we're just not idealistic idiots who forget they live in the real world.

Now let's see if I get "I can still spell and format" answer or not.
Old 8th July 2022, 12:55 PM   #14
stanfr
Master Poster

Republicans and Democrats is a misnomer. There are no republicans left, just labeled RINOs and Trumpists.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 01:05 PM   #15
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Government going into the medicine business? Yeah, I can't imagine how that could possibly go wrong.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 01:06 PM   #16
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Government going into the medicine business? Yeah, I can't imagine how that could possibly go wrong.
The State is fixing a Market Failure, as is its Job.
Old 8th July 2022, 01:11 PM   #17
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Right? Now we're gonna have a bunch of idiot conservatives lying about this being those death panels, or the government putting tracking chips in the insulin, or some other stupid talking point/lie promoted by the GOP.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 01:12 PM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Democrats don't think people getting life saving medicine is a bad thing.
Old 8th July 2022, 01:15 PM   #19
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The anthem of the Republican party.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 8th July 2022, 01:17 PM   #20
Donal
Illuminator

Maybe medicine shouldn't be a business
Old 8th July 2022, 01:19 PM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh Democrats aren't cowards that go into a thread full of actual valid real world examples of how wrong they are, drop a factually untrue quip, and then leave, not having addressed any of the valid points made against them.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th July 2022 at 01:29 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 01:25 PM   #22
Venom
Philosopher

Yet. GIve them time, since I feel some Dems have caught the same plague that that has wrecked the GOP.
And what would that be?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 01:28 PM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- Democrats don't want to teach "Both sides" of the Holocaust, Evolution, Global Warming, or the Earth being Round.

- Democrats don't think private business should be able to exclude Jews.
Old 8th July 2022, 01:42 PM   #24
sackett
Philosopher

Data would be nice too

That's how you feel? K. Now tell us what you think.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 01:50 PM   #25
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
That's how you feel? K. Now tell us what you think.
I'm going to guess dudalb thinks progressives will make the Democrats as intolerable as the Republicans.

But when most progressive Democrat proposals come from a position of empathy and a greater respect for science than the right, it's hard to argue the two groups are on equal ground.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 02:01 PM   #26
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Maybe medicine shouldn't be a business
Pharmaceuticals run as a business led to individuals like Martin Shkreli. Pharma Bro obtained the rights to Daraprim a antiparasitic drug. He immediately increased the price from $13.50 to $750 per pill. Then we have Mylan and the 500 percent increase of prices to the Epi Pens. They increased the list price from $94 to $509. Then we have the Sackler family that created a massive opiod crises. They made many billions of dollars and all they had to do was kill people.
Old 8th July 2022, 02:10 PM   #27
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Today we saw the stark difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Democratic California Governor Gavin Newsom said in a video posted to*Twitter*that $100 million from the state budget he recently signed for 2022-2023 would be allocated for California to “contract and make our own insulin at a cheaper price, close to at cost, and to make it available to all.” Half of the $100 million would go toward the development of a “low-cost” insulin, Newsom said. The other $50 million would go toward a facility in the state to manufacture insulin that would “provide new, high-paying jobs and a stronger supply chain for the drug.”

Republicans on the other hand do nothing except promote hate and death.

Capitalism already wiped the floor with socialism's "low-cost insulin".

Greedy punching bag for leftist hacks, Walmart, has short and long-term insulin vials for $25 each, over the counter. Pens, now that patents are wearing off, are on the way.

But they aren't over the counter in every state, just some. Is California a cool state or a hag state?

Why do you emotionally throw in with mass murderers responsible, via business-unfriendly policies delaying development decades behind where it should be, for more deaths last century than Hitler, Stalin, and Mao combined?

All they do is tell you, "Yu gud person to support us!", and you collapse, quivering with joy because some mass murderer likes you, even as he filches your pockets.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 8th July 2022 at 02:12 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 02:15 PM   #28
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

This is why I don't post in Politics anymore -- too many lickspittles enabling the corruption class to get in the way of things until (something happens) and they release the hold. Oh look, another guy with a $150k salary is worth $40 million after 20 years.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 02:21 PM   #29
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm going to guess dudalb thinks progressives will make the Democrats as intolerable as the Republicans.

But when most progressive Democrat proposals come from a position of empathy and a greater respect for science than the right, it's hard to argue the two groups are on equal ground.
It's odd, the way "progessive" is used as a pejorative by some -- some what? What kind of person actually opposes improvement in social and political life? Do such people favor the opposite? Retrogression is desirable?

Yes, it is, to reactionaries, who, as we all observe, can only destroy. But nobody, so far as I know, calls himself a reactionary.

Well, okay, the late Wm. F. Buckley actually called himself that. Once, anyway. But even the Righties rather shrank from modeling themselves on Bill.

Last edited by sackett; 8th July 2022 at 02:24 PM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 02:35 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post

Greedy punching bag for leftist hacks, Walmart, has short and long-term insulin vials for $25 each, over the counter. Pens, now that patents are wearing off, are on the way.

But they aren't over the counter in every state, just some. Is California a cool state or a hag state?

(off the wall rant snipped)
"Walmart, has short and long-term insulin vials for $25 each, over the counter. "

That's the old price. It's gone up:

Quote:
Available exclusively through Walmart’s private ReliOn brand, the new offering includes analog insulin vials ($72.88) and FlexPen® ($85.88). These products will save customers1 between 58% to 75% off the cash price of branded analog insulin products, which translates to a savings of up to $101 per branded vial or $251 per package of branded FlexPens®.
https://corporate.walmart.com/newsro...analog-insulin

OTC insulin is different than new insulin:

Quote:
OTC insulins are inherently different than newer insulin analogs, and if you’re living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, it’s key to know the difference. “The way in which they get into the system, how long they last, and when they peak are all different than the newer insulin products we have,” says Trujillo.

For example, regular insulin takes longer to work in your body (30 to 60 minutes), so you may need to plan your meals up to an hour in advance, says Goldstein. This differs from newer insulins that you take right before you eat, she adds. Also, NPH insulin peaks at six hours, so you need to make sure you aren’t surprised by a low blood glucose episode at that time. This differs from newer insulins that don’t have a peak at all, says Goldstein.

“These are not one-to-one substitutions,” says Goldstein. “They behave very differently. But if you know what to expect, then you can anticipate it and do fine.”
How do you know that "Capitalism already wiped the floor with socialism's "low-cost insulin" when "socialism's" insulin will be "close to at cost"?
HINT: you don't.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 02:36 PM   #31
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This is why I don't post in Politics anymore -- too many lickspittles enabling the corruption class to get in the way of things until (something happens) and they release the hold. Oh look, another guy with a $150k salary is worth $40 million after 20 years.
And yet, here you are.....
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 02:46 PM   #32
sackett
Philosopher

There must be damn ole crats who go off on incomprehensible rants, larding them with trigger words and inside references that only club members can get.

Can't somebody post one?

Old 8th July 2022, 02:48 PM   #33
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Democrat presidents don't say that their vice-presidents deserved to be hanged.

Democrats don't try to justify their Dear Leader's racism by claiming some of their best friends are black.

Democrats are not opposed to Blacks, Hispanics, other poor people and people who don't vote for them, being denied affordable health care.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 03:07 PM   #34
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
It's odd, the way "progessive" is used as a pejorative by some -- some what? What kind of person actually opposes improvement in social and political life? Do such people favor the opposite? Retrogression is desirable?

Yes, it is, to reactionaries, who, as we all observe, can only destroy. But nobody, so far as I know, calls himself a reactionary.

Well, okay, the late Wm. F. Buckley actually called himself that. Once, anyway. But even the Righties rather shrank from modeling themselves on Bill.
I think well-informed conservatives think some things are just better left untouched. The way certain things are now is preferable to a progressive proposal. I can respect that in principle. But it's concerning that many old time conservative Republicans are willing to stand with religious extremists, neofascists, and shameless opportunists like Trump when push comes to shove.

Yes the parties are big tents, but is it worth it?
Old 8th July 2022, 03:09 PM   #35
xjx388

Republicans actually make progress on their major policies.
Old 8th July 2022, 03:11 PM   #36
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Why do you emotionally throw in with mass murderers responsible, via business-unfriendly policies delaying development decades behind where it should be, for more deaths last century than Hitler, Stalin, and Mao combined?

All they do is tell you, "Yu gud person to support us!", and you collapse, quivering with joy because some mass murderer likes you, even as he filches your pockets.

Nonsense. The prices were cheap for both insulin and epinephrine. Both saw greed squuezing the last dime out of their patents and the patients. Sure after the patents expired the price went down. But insulin is still expensive.

I believe in capitalism. To a point. But ignoring it's shortcomings is convenient. Capitalism for all its benefits has lead to massive wealth and massive poverty. Half a billion dollar yachts and a dozen homes for some and homeless individuals on many a street corner.

It is not a panacea.
Old 8th July 2022, 03:12 PM   #37
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Oh, you mean Guns, God and Gays?
Old 8th July 2022, 03:14 PM   #38
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Tax breaks for the rich.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2022, 03:28 PM   #39
xjx388

Whatever you want to call it they are doing it.
Old 8th July 2022, 03:35 PM   #40
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Killing Jews and Muslims?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics