IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd August 2022, 01:30 PM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jackie Walorski, Indiana Congresswoman, killed in traffic accident.

Indiana Republican Rep. Jackie Walorski has died in a car accident along with two (as of this post unnamed) other people.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/03/polit...can/index.html
Old 3rd August 2022, 02:46 PM   #2
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

A very nasty accident. A two-car head-on collision in which ALL occupants of both vehicles were killed. WNDU the NBC News affiliate in South Bend Ind. reports:
Quote:
Officers were called to the area of State Road 19 and State Road 119 in Nappanee just after 12:30 p.m. on reports of a crash involving two vehicles. Police say a northbound passenger car traveled left of the center line and collided head-on with a southbound SUV.

All three occupants in the southbound vehicle died as a result of their injuries:

Jackie Walorski, 58, of Elkhart
Zachery Potts, 27, of Mishawaka
Emma Thomson, 28, of Washington, D.C.

The sole occupant of the northbound vehicle, Edith Schmucker, 56, of Nappanee was pronounced dead at the scene. WNDU news link
Below is a Google Streetview of the area where the collision took place.The exact location is not clear but this shows northbound Indiana Rt 19 approaching Indiana Rt 119 in the distance at right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IN 19 approching IN 119.jpg (44.7 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 03:14 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Horrible! As the driver, Edith Schmucker, who crossed the line was 56 and it was in the early afternoon, I suspect she had a medical emergency. Tragic.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:00 PM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Oh good heavens! No wonder there were no survivors

smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 01:22 AM   #5
Lplus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh good heavens! No wonder there were no survivors

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c2q364i5m...rash.png?raw=1
Looks like this is the location. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5061...7i16384!8i8192

That's looking SSW so it looks like the silver suv was travelling south and the red whateveritwas was travelling north. At that point the road bends eastward slightly after a long straight, so one might surmise the red vehicle simply went straight on into the southbound lane.

Life isn't fair, Princess; anyone who says it could be is selling a political ideology.
Whinging on internet forums is the last resort of the powerless

Last edited by Lplus; 4th August 2022 at 01:26 AM.
Lplus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 02:44 PM   #6
catsmate
No longer the 1

Have the conspiracy theories started yet?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 03:14 PM   #7
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Have the conspiracy theories started yet?
Expecting to hear that Antifa and BLM were behind it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 03:37 PM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
Looks like this is the location. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5061...7i16384!8i8192

That's looking SSW so it looks like the silver suv was travelling south and the red whateveritwas was travelling north. At that point the road bends eastward slightly after a long straight, so one might surmise the red vehicle simply went straight on into the southbound lane.
Police have now issued a statement changing that assessment and saying that it was the vehicle she was a passenger in that crossed the center.

Police change account of crash killing Indiana Rep. Walorski

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Police have changed their description of the crash that killed Indiana Republican U.S. Rep. Jackie Walorski, saying Thursday that it was the SUV in which she was a passenger that crossed a state highway’s centerline and caused the head-on collision.

Walorski and two members of her congressional staff died in the Wednesday afternoon crash in northern Indiana, along with the woman driving the other vehicle, the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Office said.

The department’s initial account was that the car driven by Edith Schmucker, 56, Nappanee, Indiana, crossed into the SUV’s path, but the office released a statement Thursday saying investigators had talked with witnesses and viewed video evidence that their preliminary determination of which direction the vehicles were traveling was incorrect.

Investigators determined that the SUV driven by Zachery Potts, 27, of Mishawaka, Indiana, crossed the centerline for unknown reasons in a rural area near the town of Wakarusa. Potts was Walorski’s district director and the Republican chairman for northern Indiana’s St. Joseph County. Also killed was Emma Thomson, 28, of Washington, D.C., who was Walorski’s communications director.
She was a pretty solid supporter of Trump. However, since she was a back bencher and not a big player, I shall follow the old adage "If you can't say anything nice about the dead, don't say anything."
Old 4th August 2022, 07:08 PM   #9
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
She was a pretty solid supporter of Trump. However, since she was a back bencher and not a big player, I shall follow the old adage "If you can't say anything nice about the dead, don't say anything."
Am I a bad person if my first thought after hearing about this accident was "what type of person was Walorski" before I decided if sympathy was warranted?

"I feel so bad that a person who tried to help a racist con-artist overthrow the United States government was in a car accident. After all, she might have owed money to someone, and that person might never be paid back".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 07:15 PM   #10
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Am I a bad person if my first thought after hearing about this accident was "what type of person was Walorski" before I decided if sympathy was warranted?

"I feel so bad that a person who tried to help a racist con-artist overthrow the United States government was in a car accident. After all, she might have owed money to someone, and that person might never be paid back".
Master card is the real victim.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 08:11 PM   #11
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
No. If a Republican dies, my default position is to assume they were an ******* unless proven otherwise. However, if a Democrat dies, I don't automatically assume they were a great person either, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

In her case, she was a minor figure who will just be replaced in office by someone similar. I'm sure there's several GQP vultures already pushing for her job, they can't even wait until the body is cold.

Last edited by shemp; 4th August 2022 at 08:13 PM.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 11:31 AM   #12
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

DUI?
LongFuzzy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 12:07 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
DUI?
I don't think we can assume that until and unless the autopsy report shows that.
Old 6th August 2022, 11:56 AM   #14
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't think we can assume that until and unless the autopsy report shows that.
Space lasers ditto, then?
Old 6th August 2022, 12:27 PM   #15
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Space lasers ditto, then?
Jewish space lasers leave very telling identification marks.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics