IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Closed Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 08:32 AM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Trump’s Coup - Part 2

Mod InfoContinuation of thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=347882
Posted By:Darat

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Congress was occupied, legal proceedings halted. No matter how long it lasted, that was an attempted coup, the actions those of terrorists, and the man responsible a White supremacist who repeatedly betrays his oaths of office. There's no sugar coating that, and the Paradise of Infinite Lollipops for White Boys is over. Laughably, pathetically over.

Uncle Sam has had yet another very public trouser drop thanks to White boys and their sadly deluded allies. Henceforth, zero grounds to claim adherence to Western values, or any sort of "leadership", let alone a moral voice or intellectual credibility. Trump and his base have ****-canned the USA for generations to come and greatly advanced the forces of totalitarianism around the planet.

In light of events, waving a Trump flag this point forward is an act of treason, an intentional declarative blessing of a violent coup against democracy. From now on, no quarter, no respite, no benefit of the doubt, only a hard press up against the wall.

Time to finally rewrite the DoI so that it does not take those lazy short-cuts in defining the first principles of democracy which, btw, do not start with "small government". Maybe then prairie dogs and swamp rats will get some learnin'.
Started already: https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...apitol-stormed

Quote:
...snip....
"The United States certainly cannot now impose electoral standards on other countries and claim to be the world's 'beacon of democracy'," the foreign affairs chief in the lower house, Leonid Slutsky, told Russian news agencies....snip...
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Last edited by Darat; 7th January 2021 at 09:32 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:41 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This has been the Trump's apologist (including the ones who screech "Don't call me a Trump supporter! How dare you!" the loudest) game for a while.

"Trump's going to do this."
"Oh he's not going to do it. Stop being overdramatic and hyperbolic."
"Okay well... I mean he literally just did it."
"No he didn't really do it because (pointless semantic excuse) and me being super hyper-focused on your less than mathematically perfect language while ignoring what Trump is doing is both super important and has no ulterior motive."
Old 7th January 2021, 08:59 AM   #3
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Meet Elizabeth:

https://twitter.com/holmescnn/status...273608194?s=20

(Video in Tweet)

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:03 AM   #4
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Betting one of the first guys to be arrested for his role in the insurrection is that idiot who took the selfie of himself in Pelosi's office. He just saved teh FBI a lot of work.
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I think Viking idiot is a frontrunner.
What about the guy who wore his work badge to it?
https://twitter.com/RebelArt5/status...56434799104001

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:03 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

These are not people who are afraid of reprisals.
Old 7th January 2021, 09:12 AM   #6
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
These are not people who know what the word "reprisal" means.

Last edited by AnonyMoose; 7th January 2021 at 09:14 AM.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:14 AM   #7
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

In Elizebeth's case, she seems affronted and utterly surprised that she was maced, so I think AnonyMoose is accurate.

Where bravado crosses with stupidity.

And with guns.

Old 7th January 2021, 09:25 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Well I think the coup is truly over, the big boys have stepped in and said “enough”...

Amazing all these brave people standing up to Trump, this really will hamper Trump’s last 13 days in office.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:29 AM   #9
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I do appreciate the measured-ness of the single shot (or small number of shots, can't tell for sure) rather than the city cop style "everyone empties their magazines in the general direction." I don't think anyone trains to target the neck, though. In a chaotic scene with a difficult shooting angle past the door, the guard might have intended a warning shot, a center mass shot, or anything in between.

Well, she was climbing head-first through a relatively narrow window, and when she was shot, immediately fell back through the window, so her center of mass was clearly still behind the door, so her head/neck was probably the biggest target available. If she were to be shot anywhere, it would almost certainly have been in the head or neck, because there wasn't much else there.
Old 7th January 2021, 09:29 AM   #10
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I love this handwringing over whether the mob could be effective. Is it really that hard to imagine what might have happened if some of the armed members of the mob had managed to get hold of people their God Emperor had told them were enemies? We know how lousy the security was on the perimeter of an entire branch of our government. It was obviously only luck that the internal security was good enough to get that branch of government to safety.

Had Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats been killed by the mob, I wonder if we'd have as much hair-splitting over what we're allowed to call this event...
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:33 AM   #11
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Of course, odds are probably high that there will be a blanket pardon coming down for anyone and everyone in the mob....
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:35 AM   #12
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Well, she was climbing head-first through a relatively narrow window, and when she was shot, immediately fell back through the window, so her center of mass was clearly still behind the door, so her head/neck was probably the biggest target available. If she were to be shot anywhere, it would almost certainly have been in the head or neck, because there wasn't much else there.
I prefer rioters who *don't* get shot.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:36 AM   #13
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I love this handwringing over whether the mob could be effective. Is it really that hard to imagine what might have happened if some of the armed members of the mob had managed to get hold of people their God Emperor had told them were enemies? We know how lousy the security was on the perimeter of an entire branch of our government. It was obviously only luck that the internal security was good enough to get that branch of government to safety.

Had Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats been killed by the mob, I wonder if we'd have as much hair-splitting over what we're allowed to call this event...
IIRC, there was a report saying that they were searching for Mike Pence.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:41 AM   #14
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
As long as there were enough surviving Democrats to constitute a majority in the House, then it wouldn't have changed who was in power so that wouldn't count as an attempted coup.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:42 AM   #15
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

A tweet by the UK politician Jeremy Hunt;

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/stat...17883490668546

"America is the world's biggest, most important democracy, a shining light on the hill for freedom. Pres Trump told a crowd to march on Capitol Hill & turned on his VP for upholding the law. He shames American democracy tonight & causes its friends anguish but he is not America"

1 - India is the world's biggest democracy, not the USA. That matters not as size is not an indicator of success.

2 - in no measure on any index is the USA the worlds greatest democracy. It ranks below many countries when it comes to democratic functioning and freedoms.

3 - Trumps actions have seriously damaged the US worlds standing and countries considered a threat to world democracy and freedoms, primarily Russia and China must be laughing their heads off.

4 - Trump is still a large part of America, we cannot kid ourselves he is not. What Trump has fired up is far from over and the internal splits in the USA may never heal. Instead of this being the end, it is more likely a continuation of his influence over many Americans.
Old 7th January 2021, 09:44 AM   #16
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
I prefer rioters who *don't* get shot.
I feel compelled by decency to pretend I did not laugh out loud when I read that.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:44 AM   #17
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
IIRC, there was a report saying that they were searching for Mike Pence.
Sure, but do you think these nutbars wouldn't settle for taking any enemy politician they happened to come across? And let's not forget that among these people were Q believers who might see their violence as justified since the entire Democratic Party is complicit in the murder of untold numbers of children (and I'm not referring to abortion).

The bottom line? I wonder how many members of this joint session would have had to die before the word "coup" stopped being objectionable.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:45 AM   #18
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
As long as there were enough surviving Democrats to constitute a majority in the House, then it wouldn't have changed who was in power so that wouldn't count as an attempted coup.

Dave

There's the flaw in your plan.
Old 7th January 2021, 09:58 AM   #19
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It's hard to keep up with all the false flags.

So far, it seems that rioters were secretly Antifa infiltrators making the noble patriots look bad (by doing exactly what they've been saying for weeks they were going to do) unless they got shot, in which case they're heroic martyrs.

But with Proud Boys saying they were going to turn up cosplaying as Antifa and Antifa saying they were going to do the same in reverse, I wonder how far this role-swapping goes. Maybe it's worse than you think. Is it possible that absolutely everyone else is a secret false flag agent for the opposite side? Did in fact Trump genuinely obtain a crushing landslide victory at the election except that his role-playing voters all went a bit too method and voted for Biden, and vice versa?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:03 AM   #20
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Another right wing terrorist safe in his stupidity and privilege confessing to felonies on live television and who probably slept in his own bed last night:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Ugarles/s...85940829556736
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:10 AM   #21
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
1 - India is the world's biggest democracy, not the USA. That matters not as size is not an indicator of success.
I'm not sure what your point is here, because India's leadership is as bad as America's. So is Brazil's, and Pakistan, Nigeria and Indonesia aren't exactly great role models.

The only inference I can take from that is that very large democracy doesn't serve the people.

China will be delighted.

2 - in no measure on any index is the USA the worlds greatest democracy. It ranks below many countries when it comes to democratic functioning and freedoms.
Yeah, but they've got that whole "sole superpower" thing going for them.

I can see the logic in referring to it as the greatest, simply on its position as former leader of the free world. Will be again next month.

[quote=Nessie;13351251]3 - Trumps actions have seriously damaged the US worlds standing and countries considered a threat to world democracy and freedoms, primarily Russia and China must be laughing their heads off.]/QUOTE]

I hear you could hear Vlad's laughter from Ukraine - he'll be lapping it up.

As to the world standing, you've got the luxury of a very low base and now you have the wildly-popular Obama presidency Veep in charge, if you take a poll next month you'll find the damage has been completely reversed.

4 - Trump is still a large part of America, we cannot kid ourselves he is not. What Trump has fired up is far from over and the internal splits in the USA may never heal. Instead of this being the end, it is more likely a continuation of his influence over many Americans.
Nah - you've already seen all the rats desert that ship.

What he's done is narrowed his support down to the small minority of people of human garbage. No sane Republican will support him now, and it's all gone to prove just how absurdly stupid Trump is.

Did he really think a bunch of rednecks could seize the government?

Why, yes he did, and in the process has destroyed any chance of re-election.

It's the best possible end to his presidency - alone, threatened with removal for being unfit for office, utterly broken.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:17 AM   #22
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

"No he didn't really do it because (pointless semantic excuse) and me being super hyper-focused on your less than mathematically perfect language while ignoring what Trump is doing is both super important and has no ulterior motive."
I must say, this is one place where being hyper-focused on less than mathematically perfect semantics likely has no ulterior motive.

It doesn't make it super important though.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:22 AM   #23
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

If anyone is from Knoxville and knows Elizabeth...

1) There’s a reward waiting for you, and,

2) That tweet will likely be Exhibit A in her prosecution.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:23 AM   #24
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I feel compelled by decency to pretend I did not laugh out loud when I read that.
I debated a bit before posting that, as it is not part of my normal style. So I went wild and crazy for one post - sue me!

Old 7th January 2021, 10:23 AM   #25
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
... tell her she's hilarious!
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:24 AM   #26
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?

Wait a second. She's white, and a woman. Surely being maced while participating in a violent insurrection is punishment enough.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:25 AM   #27
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Another right wing terrorist safe in his stupidity and privilege confessing to felonies on live television and who probably slept in his own bed last night:

"It was a joke to them until we got inside and then all of the sudden guns came out."

Funny how that works.

It's all good fun until you're guilty of felony murder.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:25 AM   #28
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I think this might be even easier for a prosecution:

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post

Old 7th January 2021, 10:26 AM   #29
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

In Elizebeth's case, she seems affronted and utterly surprised that she was maced, so I think AnonyMoose is accurate.

And with guns.
"It's a revolution" she says. In a wounded tone which implies the authorities who maced her fail to grasp this. I mean, you're not supposed to oppose a revolution, are you? The revolution* is the goodies.

*Oh but not, like, communist revolutionaries, or anything icky like that, obvs. They are the baddies. No, just nice revolutionaries. Regular, commonsense people who only want to drag the vice president out of the building and string him up from a lamp post.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:29 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Grandkid: Grandma I’ve got to do a report on the civil war of the 2020s, I know you helped defeat the first coup attempt, what did you do.

Grandma: Well I turned to your Grandpa and said enough was enough, I logged in and set Trump’s Facebook account to :”Banned”.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:31 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Wait a second. She's white, and a woman. Surely being maced while participating in a violent insurrection is punishment enough.
I am sure she has learned a lesson....
Old 7th January 2021, 10:32 AM   #32
slyjoe
Illuminator

And with guns.
And with cell phones.

Step 1: Get warrants for position data from major carriers.
Step 2: Identify cell phones in the capitol between time x and time y.
Step 3: Identify owners of cell phones from step 2.
Step 4: Arrest!
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:00 AM   #33
Garrison
Philosopher

So the officer who shot the insurrectionist dead has been suspended pending investigation, no word of course on his colleagues who practically gave the others a guided tour and posed for photographs. This is probably the one police shooting where being in fear of his life should be a totally acceptable defence and I look forward to this being dropped without charges in the same way other officers across the USA have been, unless of course it has to be an unarmed black person for the police officer to get a pass?
Old 7th January 2021, 11:04 AM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So the officer who shot the insurrectionist dead has been suspended pending investigation, no word of course on his colleagues who practically gave the others a guided tour and posed for photographs. This is probably the one police shooting where being in fear of his life should be a totally acceptable defence and I look forward to this being dropped without charges in the same way other officers across the USA have been, unless of course it has to be an unarmed black person for the police officer to get a pass?
You have to understand that "Police" are not a singular entity in the US.

There's 18,000 different law enforcement agencies in the US, with varying levels of autonomy.
Old 7th January 2021, 11:04 AM   #35
Speedskater
Thinker

About how many people attended the rally?
Speedskater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:20 AM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

FBI is glad so many morons are making their job easy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:22 AM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You have to understand that "Police" are not a singular entity in the US.

There's 18,000 different law enforcement agencies in the US, with varying levels of autonomy.
This what a great many people not US Citizens fail to understnad.
The American tradition has been that most law enforcement should be at the level of government closest to the people:Local Governments.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:23 AM   #38
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
And with cell phones.

Step 1: Get warrants for position data from major carriers.
Step 2: Identify cell phones in the capitol between time x and time y.
Step 3: Identify owners of cell phones from step 2.
Step 4: Arrest!
Also check what was being livestreamed on facebook and by whom at that time

I am thinking about this nice character, who knows enough to hide his face, but does have a mobile presumably to film his antics

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErI1ne4X...jpg&name=small

Old 7th January 2021, 11:24 AM   #39
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
About how many people attended the rally?
I have not seen any estimates more precise than "stadium-sized crowd". There were initially three different events scheduled at different places, so they were spread out a bit.

That about fit with what I saw on the various live feeds I was watching yesterday - dense crowds mulling around at barricades, but not more than 15-20 people thick from front to back, lots of open space behind all that. I would not be surprised to find out that less than 5000 were actually at the Capitol itself.

All of the law enforcement agencies in D.C. have many times handled much larger groups of belligerent people, they have the experience, the equipment, training, budget and manpower to handle this sort of thing.

The leadership failed to apply any of that.

Last edited by crescent; 7th January 2021 at 11:25 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:24 AM   #40
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
FBI is glad so many morons are making their job easy.
It’s bad enough Twitter and Facebook has made journalists lazy, now the FBI only has to look on its timeline in FB!
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics