IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Closed Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 11:26 AM   #41
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
What about the guy who wore his work badge to it?
https://twitter.com/RebelArt5/status...56434799104001
I laughed and laughed . . . right up to the point when I realized that most of these yucks are going to come out of this unscathed, including the big orange yuck who literally instigated it an hour or so earlier.

WS

Last edited by Resume; 7th January 2021 at 11:45 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:36 AM   #42
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Elizabeth is the new Karen, right?

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:37 AM   #43
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
It's hard to keep up with all the false flags.

So far, it seems that rioters were secretly Antifa infiltrators making the noble patriots look bad (by doing exactly what they've been saying for weeks they were going to do) unless they got shot, in which case they're heroic martyrs.

But with Proud Boys saying they were going to turn up cosplaying as Antifa and Antifa saying they were going to do the same in reverse, I wonder how far this role-swapping goes. Maybe it's worse than you think. Is it possible that absolutely everyone else is a secret false flag agent for the opposite side? Did in fact Trump genuinely obtain a crushing landslide victory at the election except that his role-playing voters all went a bit too method and voted for Biden, and vice versa?

Occam’s razor version: Trump is an Antifa infiltrator intent on making him look bad.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:43 AM   #44
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This has been the Trump's apologist (including the ones who screech "Don't call me a Trump supporter! How dare you!" the loudest) game for a while.

"Trump's going to do this."
"Oh he's not going to do it. Stop being overdramatic and hyperbolic."
"Okay well... I mean he literally just did it."
"No he didn't really do it because (pointless semantic excuse) and me being super hyper-focused on your less than mathematically perfect language while ignoring what Trump is doing is both super important and has no ulterior motive."
"Trump Derangement Syndrome", remember that?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #45
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
"It's a revolution" she says. In a wounded tone which implies the authorities who maced her fail to grasp this. I mean, you're not supposed to oppose a revolution, are you? The revolution* is the goodies.

*Oh but not, like, communist revolutionaries, or anything icky like that, obvs. They are the baddies. No, just nice revolutionaries. Regular, commonsense people who only want to drag the vice president out of the building and string him up from a lamp post.
The revolution will not be televised - Gil Scot Heron

'there will be no highlights at eleven o'clock'

'The revolution will be live.'

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:55 AM   #46
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
"Trump Derangement Syndrome", remember that?

He’s still got it, and he’s infected his supporters.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:59 AM   #47
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Pelosi demands the President be immediately removed under the 25th Amendment or else the House will impeach.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:02 PM   #48
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Important thing to keep in mind.

Successful coups often follow failed coups.

yesterday's invasion of the capitol was nothing short of a major symbolic victory for the fascists in our country. While many are assuming there will be meaningful consequences for individuals involved, and the politicians that inspired them, that is a huge assumption. Don't assume that arrests will be coming unless there is a massive public push to do so. Congress has left for recess, so that clearly shows they have no plan to address the event promptly.

Like all the preceding events of fascist violence, the capitol invaders have demonstrated that police will not stop right wingers from engaging in extra-legal violence. They came very close to seizing actual elected members of our government.

This victory is a huge recruitment event for the fascists. More will come to the next riot.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 7th January 2021 at 12:05 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:04 PM   #49
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Pelosi demands the President be immediately removed under the 25th Amendment or else the House will impeach.
Goddamned ************* right.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:08 PM   #50
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
.... While many are assuming there will be meaningful consequences for individuals involved, and the politicians that inspired them, that is a huge assumption.

My impression, based upon DOJ's attempts to prosecute participants in the Bunkerville and Malheur standoffs, is that the people who stormed the capitol are right to be confident that they'll get away with this.

The Department of Justice has repeatedly, sadly, demonstrated that it is incompetent at prosecuting these sorts of things.

Last edited by crescent; 7th January 2021 at 12:13 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:08 PM   #51
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
While I feel this is appropriate, I still think it's a stupid thing to do if they aren't sure of the votes to convict.

I hope they have the votes to convict, but I doubt it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:12 PM   #52
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
While I feel this is appropriate, I still think it's a stupid thing to do if they aren't sure of the votes to convict.

it's not stupid.
Dems wanted to remove Trump for the Ukraine Call.
This is much bigger.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:13 PM   #53
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

When VP plus half of cabinet enact the 25th, POTUS can appeal and then it goes to Congress. During the appeal, what's the status?
Old 7th January 2021, 12:15 PM   #54
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
it's not stupid.
Dems wanted to remove Trump for the Ukraine Call.
This is much bigger.
They had over 100 representatives vote against accepting the election results, after being attacked. I will wait for some evidence of substantive change.

I expect we won't see it moved fast enough to get done before the 20th. I mean how are republicans supposed to know how to vote until they find out how this has impacted how much the base loves trump?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:15 PM   #55
dirtywick
Philosopher

I don’t doubt it now. He literally endangered their lives
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:17 PM   #56
dirtywick
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
They had over 100 representatives vote against accepting the election results, after being attacked. I will wait for some evidence of substantive change.

I expect we won't see it moved fast enough to get done before the 20th. I mean how are republicans supposed to know how to vote until they find out how this has impacted how much the base loves trump?
The house doesn’t matter. I think mitch can and is willing to find the votes in the senate after yesterday.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:19 PM   #57
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
The house doesn’t matter. I think mitch can and is willing to find the votes in the senate after yesterday.
Republicans growing a spine? They don't believe in evolution so will refuse to do so.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:22 PM   #58
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Another right wing terrorist safe in his stupidity and privilege confessing to felonies on live television and who probably slept in his own bed last night:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Ugarles/s...85940829556736
They all got into a batch of toxic koolaid.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:23 PM   #59
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So the officer who shot the insurrectionist dead has been suspended pending investigation, no word of course on his colleagues who practically gave the others a guided tour and posed for photographs. This is probably the one police shooting where being in fear of his life should be a totally acceptable defence and I look forward to this being dropped without charges in the same way other officers across the USA have been, unless of course it has to be an unarmed black person for the police officer to get a pass?
And the ones who did nothing to try to stop them, who posed for selfies, etc., should all be fired and convicted of dereliction of duty or whatever else they can find, and they should be jailed for at least 5 years.

The scum in our police forces who support insurrection need to be rooted out and removed ASAP!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:25 PM   #60
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
"It was a joke to them until we got inside and then all of the sudden guns came out."

Funny how that works.

It's all good fun until you're guilty of felony murder.
Notice how he believes he was trying to pull people back.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:26 PM   #61
shemp

So ******* what? Do it and put those who vote no on record as traitors!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:27 PM   #62
shemp

She's right, she shouldn't have been maced. She should have been shot instead!

Old 7th January 2021, 12:28 PM   #63
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So the officer who shot the insurrectionist dead has been suspended pending investigation, no word of course on his colleagues who practically gave the others a guided tour and posed for photographs. This is probably the one police shooting where being in fear of his life should be a totally acceptable defence and I look forward to this being dropped without charges in the same way other officers across the USA have been, unless of course it has to be an unarmed black person for the police officer to get a pass?
That's standard for any cop involved in any on duty shooting in the US.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th January 2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:28 PM   #64
dirtywick
Philosopher

Republicans growing a spine? They don't believe in evolution so will refuse to do so.
That the pentagon’s acting commander was talking with congress and not the commander in chief should tell us all we need to know about where they stand on Trump. He lost everyone yesterday imo
Old 7th January 2021, 12:30 PM   #65
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
When VP plus half of cabinet enact the 25th, POTUS can appeal and then it goes to Congress. During the appeal, what's the status?
Pence is POTUS. And Congress by a simple filibuster by a single Senator can delay the need for a vote upholding the 25th for 20 days. In fact, they don't even need the filibuster right now. Congress is not in session and doesn't reopen until the inauguration.

But I don't expect that. Pence probably has some hope of continuing his political career. Unfortunately a huge percentage of the GOP today are nutters.

Last edited by acbytesla; 7th January 2021 at 12:32 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:30 PM   #66
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
That the pentagon’s acting commander was talking with congress and not the commander in chief should tell us all we need to know about where they stand on Trump. He lost everyone yesterday imo
They don't get to vote in impeachment though.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:33 PM   #67
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Reporter: Why did you want to get in?
Elizabeth: We're storming the Capitol! It's a revolution!

slight paraphrase probably
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:34 PM   #68
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Important thing to keep in mind.

Successful coups often follow failed coups.

yesterday's invasion of the capitol was nothing short of a major symbolic victory for the fascists in our country. While many are assuming there will be meaningful consequences for individuals involved, and the politicians that inspired them, that is a huge assumption. Don't assume that arrests will be coming unless there is a massive public push to do so. Congress has left for recess, so that clearly shows they have no plan to address the event promptly.

Like all the preceding events of fascist violence, the capitol invaders have demonstrated that police will not stop right wingers from engaging in extra-legal violence. They came very close to seizing actual elected members of our government.

This victory is a huge recruitment event for the fascists. More will come to the next riot.
Let them try that same **** at the White House.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:34 PM   #69
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
IIRC, the VP is the acting President during the appeal. The appeal would have to end after Biden's inauguration.

Someone should check this, though, I have no time right now.l

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:34 PM   #70
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Pelosi looks shaken up. She is pissed off. She says she has been up all night.

She has demand the resignation of the chief of the Capitol Police and says he will resign.

She demands that Pence and the Cabinet immediately remove the President under the 25th Amendment. If the Cabinet does not approve, she has talked with Grassley and they will immediately establish a commission under the 25th Amendment approve the removal of the President. If Pence does not agree to the removal, the House will immediately impeach.

Pelosi condemns the statements made on the House floor claiming that the terrorists who desecrated the Capitol were Atifa disguised as Trump supporters. She didn't say anything specific, but I think Matt Gaetz will be hearing from the Ethics Committee very soon. I expect she will seek to have him removed from the House.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:35 PM   #71
dirtywick
Philosopher

They don't get to vote in impeachment though.
Yeah the senators and if necessary VP who’s lives he directly threatened get to do that. Although I don’t see how that’s a better prospect for him.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:35 PM   #72
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Goddamned ************* right.
There's a way to fastback an impeachment bill (privileged resolution?). They need to round up 10 votes in the Senate. Might be possible. Sasse, Romney, Murkowski, Collins, Thune . . . . Who else?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:37 PM   #73
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Pence is POTUS. And Congress by a simple filibuster by a single Senator can delay the need for a vote upholding the 25th for 20 days. In fact, they don't even need the filibuster right now. Congress is not in session and doesn't reopen until the inauguration.

But I don't expect that. Pence probably has some hope of continuing his political career. Unfortunately a huge percentage of the GOP today are nutters.
IOW the 25th is gutless unless a POTUS is unconscious.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:39 PM   #74
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Reporter: Why did you want to get in?
Elizabeth: We're storming the Capitol! It's a revolution!

slight paraphrase probably
No, that was it.

Idiots.

WS
Old 7th January 2021, 12:39 PM   #75
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Well Mitch has probably made himself into a perceived enemy of Trump as he argued against failing to accept Biden. And some GOP senators will probably not appreciate Trump putting them in harm's way.

They might be thinking it's time to dump him. And using the 25th, pretend his actions are a surprising development and he was perfectly fit for office before this..

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #76
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I was very impressed with Biden's speech televised on Sky about an hour ago, especially where he acknowledged that if it had been a different crowd of protestors, the police would have reacted differently.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:42 PM   #77
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The Thorazine should have kicked in by now.

I am almost not joking.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:45 PM   #78
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
As to the world standing, you've got the luxury of a very low base and now you have the wildly-popular Obama presidency Veep in charge, if you take a poll next month you'll find the damage has been completely reversed.
Nope.

Most Americans (who didn't support Trump's clown car) may think that once the Orange One is kicked out everything will be hunky dory because we have absorbed the notion of American exceptionalism (Trump is gone, problem is over). I doubt that the rest of the world sees it that way (not having absorbed American exceptionalism, they will understand Trump wasn't the problem). The USA illusion has now been shattered and we will now be seen as an unreliable partner. If Trumpism was meant, partly, as some reaction against "globalism" it will have succeeded in that sense because association with the USA involving cooperation for more than a few months will be seen as risky (no matter who happens to be in charge at the moment).
Old 7th January 2021, 12:46 PM   #79
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

He has to be held accountable for inciting the riot; the rioters, the insurrectionists, have to be held accountable for breaching the Capitol building. This must happen for the good of our nation, or we just hold up our hands, and shrug our shoulders to mob, and mobster rule.

This is it, right now, right here.

WS

Last edited by Resume; 7th January 2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:47 PM   #80
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No, it's not. All it takes is it to be invoked and Congress being unwilling to address it. They can keep it being pushed to a vote in Congress for effectively 25 days. By which time Biden will be POTUS anyway.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics