IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Closed Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 12:47 PM   #81
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
So ******* what? Do it and put those who vote no on record as traitors!
I learned a very long time ago that forcing people to go on record is a very good strategy, if you expect to win. If not, people will line up against you. I never did it on a national stage, but just in small time politics at clubs and offices. If people don't want to go on record, they will resent being forced to go on record.

What to do all depends on a lot of back stage conversations that are going on right now. If they can get him out early, I want him gone today, if it could be done. I just don't want his last act in office to be winning another fight with Pelosi.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:48 PM   #82
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Thye already identified the guy in Pelosi's office. He is going to get a call from the FBI real soon.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:49 PM   #83
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
He has to be held accountable for inciting the riot; the rioters, the insurrectionists, have to be held accountable for breaching the Capitol building. This must happen for the good of our nation, or we just hold up our hands, and shrug our shoulders to mob, and mobster rule.

This is it, right now, right here.
I agree, but he is only held accountable if he loses the vote. If he wins it, he wins. If you can get all the Democrats and 17 Republicans to sign on, go for it. Or if Pence plus half of the cabinet sign on to getting rid of him, all the better.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:50 PM   #84
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Well Mitch has probably made himself into a perceived enemy of Trump as he argued against failing to accept Biden. And some GOP senators will probably not appreciate Trump putting them in harm's way.

They might be thinking it's time to dump him. And using the 25th, pretend his actions are a surprising development and he was perfectly fit for office before this..
I think they are too afraid of putting a trumpist target on their backs. Easier to wait out the clock on not have to go on record either way.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:50 PM   #85
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
"It's a revolution" she says. In a wounded tone which implies the authorities who maced her fail to grasp this. I mean, you're not supposed to oppose a revolution, are you? The revolution* is the goodies.

*Oh but not, like, communist revolutionaries, or anything icky like that, obvs. They are the baddies. No, just nice revolutionaries. Regular, commonsense people who only want to drag the vice president out of the building and string him up from a lamp post.
That is icky and so wrong! These folk are way classier than that. Need I remind you that they LARPed some actual gallows?
53WSESMT4NBIFKJXUNIQYZUM6Y.jpg
Old 7th January 2021, 12:51 PM   #86
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

New: The FBI is seeking public help tracking down people involved in riot at the Capital.
Me On Phone to FBI: Yeah his name is Donald Trump. Mid-70s, orange combover, bad fitting suit. He lives on Pennsylvania Avenue in DC, don't remember the exact address but it's the Big White House, can't miss it.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:55 PM   #87
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Pelosi demands the President be immediately removed under the 25th Amendment or else the House will impeach.
Why not both?
Old 7th January 2021, 12:56 PM   #88
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
In Elizebeth's case, she seems affronted and utterly surprised that she was maced, so I think AnonyMoose is accurate.

Where bravado crosses with stupidity.

And with guns.
White privilege
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:57 PM   #89
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Thye already identified the guy in Pelosi's office. He is going to get a call from the FBI real soon.
Graham says he is committed to making sure every single person is caught and charged. He says he will require weekly updates from DOJ until that happens. Congress will provide anything needed. Money is no object. Any resources needed will be provided. He says charges of sedition are possible.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:58 PM   #90
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Why not both?
Only need one. The 25th is faster and easier. Going for that option first.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:01 PM   #91
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Graham says he is committed to making sure every single person is caught and charged. He says he will require weekly updates from DOJ until that happens. Congress will provide anything needed. Money is no object. Any resources needed will be provided. He says charges of sedition are possible.
Graham has no power whatsover in this except to jawbone.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:01 PM   #92
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
"It's a revolution" she says. In a wounded tone which implies the authorities who maced her fail to grasp this. I mean, you're not supposed to oppose a revolution, are you? The revolution* is the goodies.

*Oh but not, like, communist revolutionaries, or anything icky like that, obvs. They are the baddies. No, just nice revolutionaries. Regular, commonsense people who only want to drag the vice president out of the building and string him up from a lamp post.
Americans just love revolutions! We celebrate the 4th of July every year. Now that was a beautiful revolution. Great people. Great patriots. They had great hair. A lot of people don't realize they were just wigs. That's what they called their political party - wigs. Because they wore wigs. A lot if people don't know that.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:03 PM   #93
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
While I feel this is appropriate, I still think it's a stupid thing to do if they aren't sure of the votes to convict.

I hope they have the votes to convict, but I doubt it.
No. We should want this. The Republicans are about to start a faction, on the 20th of January, that will be gaslighting the country by saying that they were taking principled stands against Trump all along. If we have impeachment proceedings & the proceedings fail to convict, these future retroactive Trump dissidents will start out by having most of their names on the list of politicians voting against impeachment. This being on the public record is a good thing.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:07 PM   #94
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I agree, but he is only held accountable if he loses the vote. If he wins it, he wins. If you can get all the Democrats and 17 Republicans to sign on, go for it. Or if Pence plus half of the cabinet sign on to getting rid of him, all the better.
We all lose if we do nothing. It's a simple as that. If impeachment fails, that failure is entirely the fault of Trump's enablers, who should be excoriated with the same tenacity and ferocity that these thugs used to create the conspiratorial distrust of the electoral process in the first place. They must be exposed to be just as complicit in all of this as Trump.

Jimmy Carter, long considered by many to be the worst President in modern history - though not to be outdone, Trump burped, "Hold my diet Coke" - said just today:

Originally Posted by James Earl Carter
Having observed elections in troubled democracies wordlwide, I know that we the people can unite to walk back from this precipice to peacefully uphold the laws of our nation, and we must.
We must.

WS

Last edited by Resume; 7th January 2021 at 01:15 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:07 PM   #95
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Only need one. The 25th is faster and easier. Going for that option first.
Impeachment could also be used to prevent him from holding office again, while I don't think the 25th would block him from running if he's still alive to run in 2024.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:08 PM   #96
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Revoke Trump's passport. RIGHT NOW. He is an extreme flight risk.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:09 PM   #97
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
You really think his passport is a factor in that?

He's the President.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:10 PM   #98
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Republicans growing a spine? They don't believe in evolution so will refuse to do so.
Changing your tune the moment you are personally threatened (one's physical safety, in this case) is not the same thing as "growing a spine".
Old 7th January 2021, 01:11 PM   #99
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Also, Trump can be removed via the 25th and impeached, even after his term is over. They are not mutually exclusive.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:11 PM   #100
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not confident that Trump's cabinet will invoke the 25th Amendment because the people on his cabinet who would be likely to vote for it keep resigning. Elaine Chao DOT Secretary and McConnell's wife just resigned. If there were the votes to invoke it, I doubt she would have resigned.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:11 PM   #101
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You really think his passport is a factor in that?

He's the President.
Not when he gets to another country he isn't.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:12 PM   #102
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Trump not that long ago ordered the forceable removal of peaceful protestors from outside a church, which included the police assault of a TV news crew. Other politicians stood by and did nothing about that. But when Trump incites an attack on them, finally the politicians get it and start to act.

The lesson is none of those politicians are really for the people, it is only really about them.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:14 PM   #103
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Graham has no power whatsover in this except to jawbone.
He is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He can get things done, especially if he has the support of Congress and he will have that support.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #104
slyjoe
Illuminator

He is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He can get things done, especially if he has the support of Congress and he will have that support.
He will not be the chairman for much longer.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:21 PM   #105
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Pelosi demands the President be immediately removed under the 25th Amendment or else the House will impeach.
Is she still sulking about that yob's feet on her desk?

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:25 PM   #106
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Not when he gets to another country he isn't.
Vlad probably has a plane on standby in Havana.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:27 PM   #107
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I would be, and since he's already identified, I expect him to be in custody sometime today, his boots traded for jail clogs. Extra points for arraignment video of him shackled around the waist.

You can tell I haven't been thinking about this very much.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:29 PM   #108
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
He will not be the chairman for much longer.
Well, he'll be the ranking member (tee hee). He can still get stuff done on this issue.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:33 PM   #109
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No, he's the ranking member. Or at least he will be when the new Senators from Georgia are sworn in.

Ninja'd by DA.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:34 PM   #110
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
already answered. An attempt to take control of the powers of Government by the insurrectionists, for example declaring that they were now the US congress and holding votes on which electors to accept.
I'm going to guess that you'd consider the 1981 Spanish coup attempt not a coup since the "guardia civiles" who came into the Spanish Congress of Deputies wasted their time shouting and shooting at the ceiling rather than legislating and carrying other government functions. Those guys passed zero laws and the actual exercise of government functions by parliamentarians was merely suspended, after all.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:35 PM   #111
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
She is sulking about members of Congress sheltering just feet away from the mob and staff and family members and children hiding under desks while terrorists tried to break down the door.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #112
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

She is sulking about members of Congress sheltering just feet away from the mob and staff and family members and children hiding under desks while terrorists tried to break down the door.
When you put it that way it makes it sound kind of bad.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:39 PM   #113
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The idiot who wore his work badge has been fired by the Maryland Company who employed him.

TIme to revive a song written when pretty much the same thing happened in Charlottesville:

"If your're a Nazi and you know it, clap your hands
If your're a Nazi and you know it, clap your hands
You got spotted in a mob
Now you've lost your ******* job
If your're a Nazi and you know it clap your hands".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:40 PM   #114
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Is it true that if Trump is impeached and convicted he won't get the usual pension and other ex President perks?
Old 7th January 2021, 01:41 PM   #115
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The idiot who wore his work badge has been fired by the Maryland Company who employed him.

TIme to revive a song written when pretty much the same thing happened in Charlottesville:

"If your're a Nazi and you know it, clap your hands
If your're a Nazi and you know it, clap your hands
You got spotted in a mob
Now you've lost your ******* job
If your're a Nazi and you know it clap your hands".
Now, arrest him.

WS
Old 7th January 2021, 01:41 PM   #116
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, it's not. All it takes is it to be invoked and Congress being unwilling to address it. They can keep it being pushed to a vote in Congress for effectively 25 days. By which time Biden will be POTUS anyway.
In 25 days a truly incompetent POTUS can do a lot of damage. Anything less than immediate removal from office is useless.

So how is the 25th useful?
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:43 PM   #117
Meadmaker

I just read the 25th amendment. It's not the right way to go. It still requires a 2/3 vote of not just the Senate, but also the House. Because of the timing, it might be that he could be removed temporarily, and then the clock runs out during the "temporary" portion, although I'm not sure how to interpret the amendment to be sure.

The bigger reason not to do it is that isn't what the amendment is for. It was for cases where the President isn't dead, but has a medical problem that prevents him from carrying out his duties. I think insanity might qualify and be applicable to this case, but that's a tough sell. If he emerges from the cocoon and appears sane, the 25th isn't going to fly.

If you are going to do the right thing, impeachment is it.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:43 PM   #118
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hell no. If he wants to flee the country, let him. Good riddence to Bad garbage.
Same attitude Lincoln had toward Jefferson Davis.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:45 PM   #119
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Now, arrest him.
he is not a high priority, he was just a moronic follower, the people the FBI will go after are the ring leaders and higher ups...like the guy in Pelosi's office.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:47 PM   #120
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
In 25 days a truly incompetent POTUS can do a lot of damage. Anything less than immediate removal from office is useless.

So how is the 25th useful?
Because during that entire time Pence would be POTUS and Trump would have no authority whatsoever.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics