ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th December 2017, 12:38 AM   #1
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

US Ambassador - Trump UK will go ahead

Hardly shocking that the US ambassador to the UK is giving Donald Trump his full backing:

Quote:
The US ambassador to Britain said he expects Donald Trump to visit the UK in the new year despite his recent Twitter row with Theresa May.

Woody Johnson told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that the disagreement was "probably misinterpreted".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42319018

It seems that he thinks that Donald Trump is just doing "Modern DiplomacyTM"....

Quote:
He accepted there "may be disagreements" over how Mr Trump says or does things.

He said that Mr Trump was not "namby-pamby" about expressing his views
I think there is a big difference between not being namby-pamby and being a manchild who lashes out against an ally when they criticise you for retweeting far right propaganda.

I think a state visit for Donald Trump to the UK would be a clear and unambiguous demonstration that we are truly desperate as a country and that we are the international equivalent of the GOP representatives who quietly complain about Donald Trump or Roy Moore but who meekly fall into line as soon as their bluff is called.

Had President Trump not attacked Theresa May personally then maybe she would have some wriggle room but inviting him would be a craven act IMO.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 02:14 AM   #2
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Hopefully there will be massive protests at the visit. I do not want scum like Trump in my country.
Old 12th December 2017, 03:07 AM   #3
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Hardly shocking that the US ambassador to the UK is giving Donald Trump his full backing:

Had President Trump not attacked Theresa May personally then maybe she would have some wriggle room but inviting him would be a craven act IMO.
Too late, he's already invited.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 03:14 AM   #4
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Sorry forgot

Not uninviting him would be a craven act....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 04:18 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...
Seems to be the usual "it's not what Trump actually says but what's in his heart" nonsense to excuse his boorish and stupid twitter reaction.
Old 12th December 2017, 04:23 AM   #6
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

He is POTUS, so no one in any government (except N Korea) will tell him to his face what a dick he is and how his behaviour risks horrible consequences.

I agree with the opinion that we are now a temper tantrum away from a nuclear war.
Old 12th December 2017, 04:41 AM   #7
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
... I do not want scum like Trump in my country.
Ditto.
Old 12th December 2017, 06:14 AM   #8
learner
Graduate Poster

I expect we will have that gurning idiot Farage all over the news when that orange scum arrives. Its a sad day when a self confessed, molesting pervert is allowed here.
Old 12th December 2017, 06:33 AM   #9
Giz
Philosopher

I think a state visit for Donald Trump to the UK would be a clear and unambiguous demonstration that we are truly desperate as a country and that we are the international equivalent of the GOP representatives who quietly complain about Donald Trump or Roy Moore but who meekly fall into line as soon as their bluff is called.
Or even worse, the international equivalent of France.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 06:55 AM   #10
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Or even worse, the international equivalent of France.
Could you please elaborate on this.

AFAIK France has often been a lonely voice out in the wilderness when it comes to foreign policy (hence "freedom fries") and on the other hand has been willing to pitch in when the need arises (as the former colonial power, they've been doing a lot of the European heavy lifting in North Africa when it comes to the fight against radical Islam).
Old 12th December 2017, 06:58 AM   #11
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I'm pleased. But only for one reason; I signed up to a one day course on photojournalism, and, as things turn out, it's going to be based around the protests on Trump's visit, so the sooner he comes, the sooner I get to do the course.

Otherwise I'd much prefer if he stayed away.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 07:01 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I'm pleased. But only for one reason; I signed up to a one day course on photojournalism, and, as things turn out, it's going to be based around the protests on Trump's visit, so the sooner he comes, the sooner I get to do the course.

Otherwise I'd much prefer if he stayed away.
Well played !

Rather like President Trump, you've made it all about yourself
Old 12th December 2017, 07:05 AM   #13
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I do not want scum like Trump in my country.
I've never wanted him in my country either, but somehow **** floats.
Old 12th December 2017, 07:28 AM   #14
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The event planning will need to take account even moderate Brits are no fans of the fart. I think it will be genuinely difficult to find a friendly crowd who could be risked allowing the fart to do a walk around.
Old 12th December 2017, 08:05 AM   #15
Worm
Graduate Poster

Hopefully he will come to Scotland so we can get more good signage going.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/y...0z4#.isjwZ2n2e

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:06 AM   #16
Giz
Philosopher

Could you please elaborate on this.
Merely that france already hosted a state visit by trump.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indep...936.html%3famp

Quote:
"... welcomed Donald Trump*to France for Bastille Day.

In a sweeping 24 hour visit, the*US President*will be taken to Napoleonís tomb, as well as a Michelin-star restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, before joining in celebrations to mark the 100th anniversary of US involvement in the First World War."
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:20 AM   #17
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Quote:

In a sweeping 24 hour visit, the*US President*will be taken to Napoleonís tomb, as well as a Michelin-star restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, before joining in celebrations to mark the 100th anniversary of US involvement in the First World War."
Operative part.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:39 AM   #18
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Operative part.
Could you elaborate on this? You would be happier if Trump were to turn up at the cenotaph?
Old 12th December 2017, 08:51 AM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

They got into a twitter slapfight? Clearly they're made for each other.

Also, what's this obsession with making Twitter into The Most Important Medium Ever? Instead of the least important medium.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:29 AM   #20
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

The Daily Mash: Trump visit could actually be the thing that stops us all hating each other, agrees Britain
Old 12th December 2017, 09:44 AM   #21
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Could you elaborate on this? You would be happier if Trump were to turn up at the cenotaph?
US president invited over to France for US-related comemorative events, presumably planned long before Trump even won the election. That's a bit different from May sucking up to Trump at the first possible opportunity by offering him a state visit with protocol-busting haste.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 09:48 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"It's unseeeeeeeeeemly!"
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 10:18 AM   #23
Giz
Philosopher

Phew, I'm sure glad that the UK doesn't have state visits from the likes of China or Saudi Arabia then. Otherwise it would seem that people are looking for an excuse to indulge in virtue signaling.
Old 12th December 2017, 10:41 AM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Phew, I'm sure glad that the UK doesn't have state visits from the likes of China or Saudi Arabia then. Otherwise it would seem that people are looking for an excuse to indulge in virtue signaling.
Are you not aware many people protested such state visits?
Old 12th December 2017, 10:54 AM   #25
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

What's this expression now in vogue on the Right - virtue signalling. What's wrong? Are you all tired of banging on about "PC gone mad"?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 10:54 AM   #26
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Now that you mention it, maybe it would be good to have Trump show up, as long as he's treated just like the Saudi leaders...

From: http://www.cracked.com/article_19253...y-revenge.html
The Queen's Royal Guards are a British institution charged with greeting and playing for foreign dignitaries from around the world....The band faced just such a dilemma when Saudi King Abdullah came to Britain.... The band finally agreed to go with tradition and play for the king, choosing a song that truly represented how they felt about him: "The Imperial March (aka Darth Vader's theme song).

(Note: apparently there has been some embellishment over what exactly happened, with a suggestion that although the band used that music, it was during a warm up instead.)

Back on topic... yes, it may seem like a double standard to accept Saudi and Chinese dictators for state visits but not Trump. There are a couple of differences however:
- At least the Chinese/Saudi leaders are capable of acting diplomatically
- There may actually be benefits to treating Saudi/Chinese leaders well... the chance of better trade or diplomatic relations. On the other hand, while Trump may praise the UK if he gets a state visit ("It was the greatest state visit in the history of the UK!") the benefits will likely be short lived.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 11:59 AM   #27
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There were huge protests for both the Saudi and Chinese visits.
It's unheard of for a US President to be so disliked.
Even Bush just got a token anti war demo.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 06:25 PM   #28
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Quote:

Too bad it didn't involve a visit to the Zone Rouge.

Could you elaborate on this? You would be happier if Trump were to turn up at in the cenotaph?
FTFY.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 06:51 PM   #29
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

As I understand it, there are two kinds. The PM invited him but HRH did not so it won't be a state visit. He could end up meeting the PM and being snubbed by the Queen and the Royal Family.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 07:02 PM   #30
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

I would laugh, heartily, if Trump was actually stopped by UK Customs and turned away as an illegal immigrant due to stricter border policy as a result of Brexit changes. Farage would be gob-smacked, which would just add to the deliciousness.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 08:38 PM   #31
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
What's this expression now in vogue on the Right - virtue signalling. What's wrong? Are you all tired of banging on about "PC gone mad"?
It's just better. It introduces mockery instead of the anger (and subtext resignation) of "PC gone mad"
Old 13th December 2017, 02:55 AM   #32
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I would laugh, heartily, if Trump was actually stopped by UK Customs and turned away as an illegal immigrant due to stricter border policy as a result of Brexit changes. Farage would be gob-smacked, which would just add to the deliciousness.
Farage is in Alabama at the moment. Who would have guessed flying all that way to throw his crazed frog pus into the arena on behalf of a kiddy fiddler had no effect on the result.
Old 13th December 2017, 05:33 AM   #33
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Farage is in Alabama at the moment. Who would have guessed flying all that way to throw his crazed frog pus into the arena on behalf of a kiddy fiddler had no effect on the result.
Source on that? I know he was there earlier in the season but I haven't seen any references to him being there for the bitter end. There were also reports that Bannon was lurking so that he could get down to the hotel ballroom to take a victory lap, and when Bannon says "Froggy!"(probably "Pepe the Froggy!") and Nigel says, "How high, boss?"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 07:14 AM   #34
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
It's just better. It introduces mockery instead of the anger (and subtext resignation) of "PC gone mad"

I believe it's also used to attack motivation. "You're not really a good person. You're just acting like one to make yourself look good."

I saw a webcomic recently in which a group of people were pulling on a rope to rescue a child trapped in a well. When the child reached the top of the well, he said "Wait. Are you actually interested in rescuing me, or are you just virtue signalling?"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 01:28 PM   #35
FenerFan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post

Trump will probably tweet about how much the British love him. "Everywhere I went people were giving me these wonderful backwards peace signs."
Old 14th December 2017, 04:26 AM   #36
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Source on that? I know he was there earlier in the season but I haven't seen any references to him being there for the bitter end. There were also reports that Bannon was lurking so that he could get down to the hotel ballroom to take a victory lap, and when Bannon says "Froggy!"(probably "Pepe the Froggy!") and Nigel says, "How high, boss?"
I know where he was on 23rd November; he was flying back from Munich. I know this because he was on my plane.

#allaboutme
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2017, 08:08 AM   #37
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I know where he was on 23rd November; he was flying back from Munich. I know this because he was on my plane.

#allaboutme
Presumably it was the easiest boarding and fastest flight in history. No luggage lost. BEST FLIGHT EVER.

?
Old 16th December 2017, 06:35 PM   #38
Lensman
Graduate Poster

Wouldn't it be fun if, when he landed, there was nobody there to greet him?
I do mean absolutely nobody - no dignitaries, no security personnel, no journalists, not even airport staff.
If the early bird catches the worm - shouldn't the worm have stayed in bed?
Lensman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 08:42 AM   #39
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Land him at Durham Tees Valley, the terminal is deserted in the evening. Last flight in from Aberdeen is a lonely walk out to the bus stop or taxi rank (only there if you pre-booked)
Old 17th December 2017, 11:17 AM   #40
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I think, land him at Heathrow or Northolt, take him straight to Chequers. Who's for the world's biggest mass mooning event, venue Coombe Hill (just outside Princes Risborough), time, about an hour after Trump lands? All welcome Bring Your Own Butt.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics