IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 21st September 2021, 06:09 PM   #681
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That is what is bizarre;I think De Santis really thinks Trump will not run but will annoit him as the holy sucessor.
How very medieval of him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 06:31 AM   #682
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That is what is bizarre;I think De Santis really thinks Trump will not run but will annoit him as the holy sucessor.
Oh dear, now I had to think of what fluid Trump would use to do the anointing.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:13 AM   #683
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
For Veep? Cause Donny's got the top spot sewed up, if he wants it.
Hell be dead by then.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 07:39 AM   #684
Galaxie
Muse

Well, unfortunately for Caroline13, DeSantis says he isn't running for president:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...031935029.html
Quote:
Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida on Wednesday said he wouldn't be running for president in 2024 because he's busy making sure "people are not supporting critical race theory."

DeSantis made this statement during an interview with the Fox News host Sean Hannity.
DeSantis is such a weak little snowflake

Last edited by Galaxie; 1st October 2021 at 07:41 AM.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 11:38 AM   #685
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Well, unfortunately for Caroline13, DeSantis says he isn't running for president:

I'm crushed. Just crushed.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 11:40 AM   #686
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Hell be dead by then.
All logic says so, but Trump runs on hate and spite and those batteries don't run out.

Like everything in my brain is telling me you are right and yet...

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 11:54 AM   #687
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Hell be dead by then.
Tease.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 11:56 AM   #688
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
All logic says so, but Trump runs on hate and spite and those batteries don't run out.

Like everything in my brain is telling me you are right and yet...
But they do tend to blow up .

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 11:57 AM   #689
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump doe snot run,or if he is clearly unelectable, watch DeSantis change his tune...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 11:59 AM   #690
Galaxie
Muse

If Trump doe snot run,or if he is clearly unelectable, watch DeSantis change his tune...
I agree
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 11:59 AM   #691
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's Minime will step up out of his strong sense of duty to himse....er...all real Americans.
Old 1st October 2021, 12:00 PM   #692
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hell I'm hoping the idiot isn't even my Governor come 2022.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2021, 08:13 PM   #693
mgidm86
Philosopher

If that's really his reason then I say he's definitely thinking about running. He should be done killing CRT by then. What a lame thing to say. Sounds like a non-answer to me.

This guy has been responsible for the deaths of a lot of people. We need a real way to hold these guys accountable when they get this bad. WTF?
Old 1st October 2021, 08:25 PM   #694
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
If that's really his reason then I say he's definitely thinking about running. He should be done killing CRT by then. What a lame thing to say. Sounds like a non-answer to me.

This guy has been responsible for the deaths of a lot of people. We need a real way to hold these guys accountable when they get this bad. WTF?
I like this version of you. I liked the old version, too, but this makes me smile.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:09 AM   #695
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah. I don't expect any of the dogs who have been vying to be the first in line to hump Trump's leg to announce they're running for president until the Orange Russian Whore makes a final decision.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:29 AM   #696
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Our children are in much more danger from learning about systemic and legal racism in the country than Covid!
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:01 PM   #697
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

Isn't it obvious?

Gender Fluid.
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:22 PM   #698
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Isn't it obvious?

Gender Fluid.
Groan.
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:12 PM   #699
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I like this version of you. I liked the old version, too, but this makes me smile.

I'm so frustrated. What do you do when a Governor goes rogue? That's how I see it. Making mask mandates illegal while taking money from a company that manufactures one of the "alt" Covid so-called remedies?

Making the wrong move at every turn when it comes to Covid to impress....Trump?

And let me repeat...making mask mandates and rules illegal anywhere. Sir, you are a murderer. I think his actions should be criminal.

Same with Abbott, you got voting rights being attacked, even the electrical grid thing is asinine. Sorry I don't want to look up links for all of these.

But then you have an electorate who seems just fine with all of this. Are many of them complaining? I know some have refused to follow his rules.

I wouldn't care if this didn't affect me, but it does on a national level. These idiots and their craziness are in Congress, for one.

When it comes to pandemics and large scale death we need the ability to straighten this kind of thing out. Maybe a non-government entity that has actual power during such times. I don't know (at all) but we need something.

Is there federal oversight, or a clause in the state constitution about unfit Governors? I mean I'm a guy in California worried about these other states. It is heartbreaking to see this happen. If it's up to the state's citizens to do something...recall election?

Look how long the recall took here in California. Too long to do any good with someone like Desantis, everyone would be dead by then.

Am I wrong or is Desantis criminally negligent(?) and dangerous to the lives of millions of people, including outside of Florida?

What can people do (if they actually wanted to) to stop a person like this short of shooting him? At what point is he bad enough for the white coats or LEO to lead him out in cuffs?

I think these are real emergencies that need immediate attention, and all we can do is watch it happen.

Dude! Okay rant over, I know I'm all over the place, but what should we do?
Old 3rd October 2021, 05:41 PM   #700
kevbo
Critical Thinker

I'm so frustrated. What do you do ...
I wish I knew. I feel your rant.

My frustration levels have come down appreciably since Trump lost the election, but I am dismayed at the divisiveness and lack of meaningful dialogue from many of our elected officials. Common sense may not be common, but this current level of idiocy by many in the general public is too sad for words at times.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 07:45 PM   #701
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
I wish I knew. I feel your rant.

My frustration levels have come down appreciably since Trump lost the election, but I am dismayed at the divisiveness and lack of meaningful dialogue from many of our elected officials. Common sense may not be common, but this current level of idiocy by many in the general public is too sad for words at times.
Hell, I'm dismayed at the divisiveness and lack of meaningful discussion among Democrats! The party is its own worst enemy.
Old 3rd October 2021, 08:05 PM   #702
kevbo
Critical Thinker

Hell, I'm dismayed at the divisiveness and lack of meaningful discussion among Democrats! The party is its own worst enemy.
That does seem to be the case far too often.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:54 PM   #703
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The Democrats ran on a platform on not being Trump and that they could accomplish something. They really need to get on that second one.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 12:59 PM   #704
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
dudalb has an almost poetic idea (thanks to a typo):

Old 10th October 2021, 05:56 PM   #705
sackett
Philosopher

Mercifully,

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
and look who is talking

w/out video, it's impossible to see who's talking.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 06:11 AM   #706
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.local10.com/news/politic...ks-in-schools/

If the Dems run a law and order Democrat, there's a chance to unseat DeSantis in 2022. That would crush is presidential aspirations. Three in four(ish) Floridians favor mask mandates in schools. The school board meetings aren't a good indicator of the popularity of mask mandates (the mandates also helped Gavin Newsome in his recall race in California. In Orange County, the mandates polled slightly ahead of Newsome's margin of victory).
Old 11th October 2021, 06:43 AM   #707
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Why is morality from the Right always some version of "You're ruining everything by not letting me treat you like crap!"

Society do owe you society back if you treat society like crap.

Old 12th October 2021, 08:53 PM   #708
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/polit...ned/index.html

That De Santis son of bitch would step over the dead body of his own son for the 2024 presidential nomination.
Old 12th October 2021, 10:31 PM   #709
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

That De Santis son of bitch would step over the dead body of his own son for the 2024 presidential nomination.
From your link:

Quote:
The Florida Health Departmenthas levied a $3.5 million fine against Leon County for violating the state's ban on vaccine passports.

The county was in "blatant violation of the law," the state Health Department said in a statement, outlining a fine of $3,570,000 because the Leon County government had required employees to provide documentation of their Covid-19 vaccination and ultimately terminated 14 people for their refusal or failure to comply. The department noted "714 counts" in violation of the ban.

And they say Americans don't do irony!
Old 12th October 2021, 11:54 PM   #710
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

IMO like Donald Trump, he's a symptom of how far 40+% of Americans are from reality. Opposing vaccine mandates and other sensible steps to control a disease which has killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in the past 18 months should be political suicide, not a canny election strategy.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:01 AM   #711
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Yeah, they should do with their lives what Trump has done...I'd say fairly successful. You Craig4, successful? Or just attack attack others.
You have a wonky yardstick by which to measure success.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:14 AM   #712
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Poll: Americans aren't as divided on COVID as the media makes it seem

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-american...194500345.html

Quote:
How many Americans absolutely refuse to get a COVID-19 vaccine? How many never wear masks in public? How many insist that kids shouldn’t have to cover their faces in school? And how many would oppose vaccine requirements if the hyperinfectious Delta variant surges again this winter?

Not as many as you might think.
And,

Quote:
In reality, however, just because most Americans — including a significant number of Republicans — are pro-mask, pro-vaccine and even pro-mandate doesn’t mean that GOP politicians will cater to them. Instead, nearly all elected Republicans are far more focused on downplaying the virus and blocking mandates in order to curry favor with their base.
“Oh, the humanity!”
Old 13th October 2021, 05:59 AM   #713
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yeah, they should do with their lives what Trump has done...I'd say fairly successful.
I'd have to admit he was very successful at pissing away the money his father gave him. And he's a very good con artist . . . with low-information people.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:11 AM   #714
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yeah, they should do with their lives what Trump has done...I'd say fairly successful. You Craig4, successful? Or just attack attack others.
I did follow trumps lead in one aspect: I got vaccinated as soon as I could, just like trump.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 07:33 AM   #715
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
IMO like Donald Trump, he's a symptom of how far 40+% of Americans are from reality. Opposing vaccine mandates and other sensible steps to control a disease which has killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in the past 18 months should be political suicide, not a canny election strategy.
Imagine a debate with a gutsy opponent and this idiot - "Why do you want your own supporters dead? Why do you want to kill so many people?" etc. That would be so satisfying. I wouldn't do anything else, just keep answering questions about the border, taxes, whatever with about how Ron DeSantis killing people affects it:
  • Cutting immigration sounds great, but with DeSantis killing 50,000 Floridians, we are going to need immigrants to fill the work force. Why does Ron DeSantis want you to mow your own lawn or flip your own burgers?
  • I'd love to cut taxes, but honestly, we have to divide the tax burden across 700,000 fewer Americans, so it is going to go up a little for the rest of us."
  • Etc.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 08:06 AM   #716
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah people doing one thing but arguing for another HAS BECOME A PROBLEM.

Thanks everyone else for noticing.

Trump is vaccinated. DeSantis is vaccinated. I'll bet with a metaphysical certainty that most of the online personas spouting anti-vaccine nonsense are vaccinated in their real lives.

But as of this moment, well over a year into the epidemic and many, many months after multiple vaccines have become available, only 56.6% of the country is fully vaxxed. That's one of those facts.

So the people making sure they aren't actually going to be at risk screeching about "Their right to take the risk and take you down with me" are still having a negative effect.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th October 2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 13th October 2021, 03:33 PM   #717
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

More new blood for DeSantis.

Quote:
Seventeen employees in a Florida school district have died from Covid-19 since the beginning of the school year in August, officials said Wednesday.

Of the staff who died at the Polk County Public Schools, 12 of the 17 had returned to their jobs when the school year began on Aug. 10, said Kyle Kennedy, a district spokesman. The remaining five employees never reported to their jobs this school year.

The district is unaware of how the employees contracted Covid, Kennedy said.

“The pandemic continues to severely impact our community, and many public servants - including educators, healthcare staff, rescue workers and law enforcement officers - are experiencing tragic losses," the district said in a statement.
Attaboy Ron!

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 03:56 PM   #718
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I'd have to admit he was very successful at pissing away the money his father gave him. And he's a very good con artist . . . with low-information people.
The only thing Trump did to get rich was come out of the right birth canal.
Old 13th October 2021, 04:03 PM   #719
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
But they died FREE!
Old 15th October 2021, 04:09 AM   #720
Lurch
Graduate Poster

So the "country" is supposedly hungry for new CHUD, in the risible form of DeathSantis. But I thought the CHUD cultists feverishly and slavishly still cling to the orange CHUD, who's supposed to be making AmeriCHUD Great Againagain. So who again makes up this "country" looking for a new-model CHUD-tard?
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics