IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Old 13th October 2021, 07:18 AM   #681
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I'm glad you're dealing with these conformist clowns calling themselves "skeptics".

Unfortunately I'm not well and I tell you now why, also because one of the rudest of the gang repeatedly asked me in this thread about private things. I hope it helps me to let it out.

I lost my dear mother over this fascistic "lockdown" madness. She was a jolly 77 old in early 2020. I never met someone who didn't like her. She was very sociable - walking through her hometown with her ment stopping at every corner. Meeting with friends, going to theater, cinema, opera, senior studying, vacation etc, every day.

And then all was taken from her. She didn't moan or whine, tried to keep how she suffered from us. But half a year later she started to develop bizarre physical problems no doctor found a reason for, clearly psychosomatic.

And another half year later, almost to the day one year after the "lockdown", she one afternoon left the house where she resided with my poor father, married to her since over half a century, leaving just a quick note that she was afraid to lose control and wants to end her life. We shouldn't search for her, we wouldn't find her anyway.

It took months before we actually found out what happened: She went to Düsseldorf or Cologne and drowned herself in the river Rhine. She went with the flow until she stranded somewhere deep in the Netherlands where she is buried now.

I'm now at half a year after that and start to develop physical problems myself. Not as healthy as I used to be. It's one thing to lose your 78 years old mother, but it's another thing to lose her that way. I hope writing this to you helps me, and makes these nasty people think twice about what they do to people online.
Putting aside my skepticism about your story, even if true, it doesn't make you right. If your mother committed suicide, that's tragic. But it's also true that there must have been deeper psychological issues underlying that decision. I simply do not accept your assertion that everything was fine until social distancing measures were put in place, and that blame should be assigned to mandates designed to limit the spread of a pandemic that has caused about 5,000,000 deaths world-wide.

Almost any stressful situation can push people who are already close to suicide over the edge. If a category 5 hurricane is headed for Charleston, SC and an evacuation is ordered, and someone who is already in a fragile psychological state commits suicide as a result of the stresses imposed by the situation, it doesn't mean that the evacuation order was a mistake. And if someone is injured or killed in a car accident while evacuating the coast it doesn't mean that the evacuation order was fascism, or communism, or whatever melodramatic label you want to apply.

Last February you wrote, "I know nobody who is sick and dying of 'Covid-19'. I know a lot of people who are sick and dying of 'the measures', though. Fascism kills. Fear is the virus". Now, eight months later you provide an anecdote about a single person. Meanwhile many of us on this forum have been unfortunate to know many people who have been sickened or killed by COVID-19.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 07:52 AM   #682
junkshop
Critical Thinker

Location: Under the bed. Whose bed, you ask? That would be telling...sleep tight.
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
The flat Earther strikes again. I mean Irving, not Bubba.
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Me? Someone told you that?

..wait, aren't you the one that asked if I looked at the flat earth claims, when I said I met a flat earther for the first time?

Bubba, read trustbutverify's post and your response again, carefully this time (pay particular attention to the parts I have highlighted for you).
Old 13th October 2021, 09:52 AM   #683
eerok
Quixoticist

The amazing mental life of anti-vaxxers.

Holy **** this is some good lore (reddit.com)
Quote:
SHOCKING: Scientist finds 3-Legged Aluminum Based Alien Lifeform in Pfizer Covid Vax
Old 13th October 2021, 09:53 AM   #684
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

We also know that in England and Wales, deaths from suicide fell during the first lockdown. Whether this was related to the lockdown or something else about the pandemic, we don't know but it was a statistically-significant decrease compared to 2019

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...rilandjuly2020

Quote:
Statistician's comment
"The latest available evidence shows that suicide rates did not increase during the early stages of the pandemic, which is contrary to some speculation at the time. Instead, we found suicide rates to be lower between April and July 2020 - the first wave of COVID-19 in England and Wales - when compared with the same period in previous years.

"Our findings are consistent with other studies, which found no increase in suicide in the seven months that followed the first national lockdown in 2020. They are also comparable with research covering other countries - such as the United States, Germany, Japan and Australia - which found that suicide numbers have remained largely unchanged or declined in the early months of the pandemic compared with the expected levels based on the pre-pandemic period."

Julie Stanborough, Health Analysis and Life Events, Office for National Statistics

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 10:23 AM   #685
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Bubba, read trustbutverify's post and your response again, carefully this time (pay particular attention to the parts I have highlighted for you).

Please advise which of your rules applies to such a careless transgression, that I may study it and not break it again
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 10:33 AM   #686
junkshop
Critical Thinker

Location: Under the bed. Whose bed, you ask? That would be telling...sleep tight.
Please advise which of your rules applies to such a careless transgression, that I may study it and not break it again
My rules? I was drawing your attention to your, as you put it, "careless transgression" so that you may be less likely to look foolish in future.
Old 13th October 2021, 10:37 AM   #687
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Last February you wrote, "I know nobody who is sick and dying of 'Covid-19'. I know a lot of people who are sick and dying of 'the measures', though. Fascism kills. Fear is the virus". Now, eight months later you provide an anecdote about a single person. Meanwhile many of us on this forum have been unfortunate to know many people who have been sickened or killed by COVID-19.
Interesting.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 13th October 2021 at 10:47 AM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 10:51 AM   #688
eerok
Quixoticist

Rule #1: Read with care.
Old 13th October 2021, 02:18 PM   #689
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

My rules? I was drawing your attention to your, as you put it, "careless transgression" so that you may be less likely to look foolish in future.
Optimist!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 02:23 PM   #690
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Corporations are openly censoring content that is dangerous misinformation mostly because if they didn't they might be sued to buggery by those harmed by believing it.
Which seems to me a wise business decision, but no doubt to many of the Antivax kooks it is more proof that the Corporations are in on the plot...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 02:27 PM   #691
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

IT scares the hell out of me what happens when we get a pandemic...and someday we will...with a virus that is an Ebola level killer.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 02:28 PM   #692
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The flat Earther strikes again. I mean Irving, not Bubba.
I should have mentioned Kylie being a Flat Earther, but he has said so much insane crap in the past it's hard to keep track.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th October 2021, 02:31 PM   #693
Tippit
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Corporations are openly censoring content that is dangerous misinformation mostly because if they didn't they might be sued to buggery by those harmed by believing it.
If only we had some kind of government agency to rein in misinformation, and censor those who lie to the public. Truth Enforcement Agency? Federal Bureau of Truth? How about the Ministry of Truth.
Old 13th October 2021, 02:33 PM   #694
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
IT scares the hell out of me what happens when we get a pandemic...and someday we will...with a virus that is an Ebola level killer.
The ex-CTist in me would say that there are probably people who've been taking careful notes about how countries have dealt with the pandemic, and the social breakdowns of those who complied with precautions and the jack-apes who refused while embracing their own fantasy world of reality. It is obvious we cannot be defeated on the battlefield, and this makes a bioweapon a much more successful strategy. Americans and much of the western world will willingly kill themselves in the name of liberty and personal convenience.
Old 13th October 2021, 02:39 PM   #695
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
If only we had some kind of government agency to rein in misinformation, and censor those who lie to the public. Truth Enforcement Agency? Federal Bureau of Truth? How about the Ministry of Truth.
If only people wouldn't spread misinformation and lie to the public.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 02:42 PM   #696
Axxman300
Philosopher

We have that already, it's called a court of law. Libel and Slander are actionable (that means you can be sued for a lot of money for you slow people). If someone can show financial, physical, or psychological harm due to misinformation spread by a person or on a media platform they can be awarded compensation.

This is why you cannot yell fire in a crowded theater, or sell milk laced with mercury claiming it will cure cancer. This is why a tabloid cannot make claims an actor is gay without documentation...

...and this is why social media platforms cannot allow people to post lies about a virus, or treatments for a virus, or vaccines for a virus.

God bless America.
Old 13th October 2021, 03:20 PM   #697
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You only think that because you lack a sophisticated understanding of how are free press works. You shouldn't trust the press, you should trust the process. When the press gets it wrong the rest of the news media gathers around and like sharks to a lifeboat and calls them out.

You're just mad the anti-America crowd you follow are wrong and are getting called out. The system is working you just don't like it because it exposes your anti-American nature for what it is.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:01 PM   #698
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
The ex-CTist in me would say that there are probably people who've been taking careful notes about how countries have dealt with the pandemic, and the social breakdowns of those who complied with precautions and the jack-apes who refused while embracing their own fantasy world of reality. It is obvious we cannot be defeated on the battlefield, and this makes a bioweapon a much more successful strategy. Americans and much of the western world will willingly kill themselves in the name of liberty and personal convenience.
Oh, I think the a effective weaponized virus has become the #1 wish of every terrorist group on the planet.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th October 2021, 04:07 PM   #699
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Looks as if being an Antivaxer will end up costing Kylie Irving a lot of money...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...cid=uxbndlbing

I am sure more then his refusal to be vaccinated is involved here (Irving on court performance was not anywhere near worth what they were paying him) but still I like a idiot celeb for once, having to pay the price for his stupidity.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th October 2021, 06:49 PM   #700
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt we will ever have it, no matter how much you might wish it so, if only to have something real to beat your fists on. It's a pity we see, so glaringly before us, that mere honesty is so insufficient.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:52 PM   #701
eerok
Quixoticist

Truth is obviously not going to do the trick here. To feed the conspiracists, there must be fear, anger, hatred, and a dearth of critical thinking.
Old 13th October 2021, 07:59 PM   #702
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Laws against harming others, and an independent judiciary prepared to enforce them, are all that's required.
Old 13th October 2021, 08:10 PM   #703
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Truth is obviously not going to do the trick here. To feed the conspiracists, there must be fear, anger, hatred, and a dearth of critical thinking.
Not to mention fantasies concerning armed rebellion.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 08:21 PM   #704
eerok
Quixoticist

Derp.

My Q husband has told me the next “plandemic” is coming called “Marburg virus” and it’s going to be a cover up for when all the vaccinated people die. Bill gates is involved apparently (reddit.com)
Quote:
So idiotic, why would they want to kill the "obedient vaccinated sheeple" in the first place and be stuck with a society full of Trump cultists and people who hate Bill Gates?
Shocking as it seems, conspiracists don't think things through.
Old 13th October 2021, 08:23 PM   #705
eerok
Quixoticist

Not to mention fantasies concerning armed rebellion.
Revenge fantasies come from the top. That's all Trump ever thinks about these days.
Old 13th October 2021, 09:02 PM   #706
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
We also know that in England and Wales, deaths from suicide fell during the first lockdown. Whether this was related to the lockdown or something else about the pandemic, we don't know but it was a statistically-significant decrease compared to 2019

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...rilandjuly2020
In the US, suicides also dropped during the pandemic, in direct contradiction to the scaremongering about lockdowns causing suicides.
Old 13th October 2021, 09:11 PM   #707
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

freedom to believe BS, lies and fantasy - still go it

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Fortunately you're not in a position to sacrifice our freedoms. Maybe just think about the illogical nonsense you are spouting. If there is "a safe vaccine", and you've taken it, there is no reason to be afraid of chads like Tippit, Bubba and me who don't want to have anything to do with the junk the pharma cartel sold you (or better, their lackeys in government made us all pay for).
Freedom to be a conspiracy theorists has not been infringed, you can believe any BS claim, an lie, and any fantasy you want - and have freedom to post in the conspiracy theory forum, where lies, and BS are discussed.

like 9/11, you can't figure out vaccine

are anti-vaxxers also conspiracy theorists, or a few - is it due to paranoia
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 09:17 PM   #708
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Looks as if being an Antivaxer will end up costing Kylie Irving a lot of money...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...cid=uxbndlbing

I am sure more then his refusal to be vaccinated is involved here (Irving on court performance was not anywhere near worth what they were paying him) but still I like a idiot celeb for once, having to pay the price for his stupidity.
*Kyrie
Old 13th October 2021, 10:51 PM   #709
Bubba
Philosopher

Quote:
by Tippit View Post

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I doubt we will ever have it, no matter how much you might wish it so, if only to have something real to beat your fists on. It's a pity we see, so glaringly before us, that mere honesty is so insufficient.

We already have it. You didnt notice.? Biden handing the socials a list of 12 names to muzzle was the latest instance I heard about

His trainers probably had him do that because they cannot yet get away with silencing critical voices otherwise, for some quaint old reason, which they know they would have to amend, first. Once that is done, they can jail the thousands of doctors they dislike, instead of merely sending fake fact checkers after them.

Their true believers, some in this room, are already on the record scheming how to make that totalitarian dream come true.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 12:13 AM   #710
Bubba
Philosopher

You misunderstood. I poked at your 'rules'. Its not quite as big as a nothingburger.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:24 AM   #711
Aridas

You misunderstood. I poked at your 'rules'. Its not quite as big as a nothingburger.
Poster 1: "not Bubba."
Bubba: "Me?"
Poster 2: Pay attention to what you respond to.
Bubba: I don't wanna follow your rules!

Old 14th October 2021, 12:56 AM   #712
Bubba
Philosopher

Ridiculously petty. But you cant help yourselves, its the hate. So transparent. Tippit nailed it.
Old 14th October 2021, 02:07 AM   #713
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Ridiculously petty. But you cant help yourselves, its the hate. So transparent. Tippit nailed it.
It's okay to hate some people.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 02:07 AM   #714
Aridas

Keep telling yourself that and maybe you'll even convince yourself, even if that is incredibly far-fetched. Probably not the most obviously nonsensical thing that you've claimed to believe, either way.

I may laugh at you because you choose to act like an utter fool, not because I hate you.

Last edited by Aridas; 14th October 2021 at 02:10 AM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 02:38 AM   #715
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Poster 1: "not Bubba."
Bubba: "Me?"
Poster 2: Pay attention to what you respond to.
Bubba: I don't wanna follow your rules & you hate me!

Updated that for you

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 09:18 AM   #716
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I may laugh at you because you choose to act like an utter fool, not because I hate you.
Imagining that posters in this forum "hate" the conspiracy peddlers here is a case of big-time, numero uno Psychological Projection. I don't hate any of these people.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 10:00 AM   #717
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Don't mistake contempt, ridicule, mockery and eye-rolling exasperation at stupidity with hatred. Even the eye-rolling is effort wasted.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 10:11 AM   #718
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Their true believers, some in this room, are already on the record scheming how to make that totalitarian dream come true.
projection!

Are the conspiracy theories why you are an anti-vaxxer - and did you sue your parents for letting you get vaccinated?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 10:14 AM   #719
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
Don't mistake contempt, ridicule, mockery and eye-rolling exasperation at stupidity with hatred. Even the eye-rolling is effort wasted.
Don't forget patience having been worn out in repeatedly waiting for answers to perfectly reasonable and politely expressed questions, leading to some expressions of slight miffed-ness or mild exasperation.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 11:10 AM   #720
Aridas

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Don't forget patience having been worn out in repeatedly waiting for answers to perfectly reasonable and politely expressed questions, leading to some expressions of slight miffed-ness or mild exasperation.
Similarly, exasperation arises when a person tries to make a claim, it gets shown to be BS, and then they just keep trying to use the claim. Also, when a person just keeps blindly trusting the same disinformation sources.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories