IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:58 PM   #81
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I think of pure scientific research as akin to music or art - we do these things to enrich our minds, not our material welfare. It's what makes us civilised, makes us different to the animals from which we evolved. Any practical benefits which eventually emerge are just an added bonus.
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:18 PM   #82
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I think of pure scientific research as akin to music or art - we do these things to enrich our minds, not our material welfare. It's what makes us civilised, makes us different to the animals from which we evolved. Any practical benefits which eventually emerge are just an added bonus.
And, don't forget the other difference, we use cutlery.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 03:50 AM   #83
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I think it was Feynman who said physics is like sex: it has practical results, but that’s not why we do it.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 04:25 AM   #84
erwinl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Sure, but they don't have the budget for two of these. And with the budget they do have, any telescope they could build two of wouldn't be as good. And they'd rather have less time on a better telescope than more time on inferior ones.

ETA: I can see a use case for multiple identical space telescopes, though. With radio astronomy, building multiple telescopes to form a giant array allows you to get vastly better diffraction limits on your signal than you can with a single telescope.
Is that possible for Visible Light telescopes as well? Or it it not practical enough for that frequency band of the spectrum?
Old 4th June 2021, 04:38 AM   #85
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I cant imagine any reason that moving this telescope would be unplanned for.
...what?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 04:39 AM   #86
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
Yep. Given that it will be at at the L2 point, fixing it is not going to be easy. Or cheap.
More like too hard to even attempt.

A lot of money down the drain if this fails. Maybe they should make wider rocket heads, instead.

Last edited by Belz...; 4th June 2021 at 04:45 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 04:40 AM   #87
Belz...
Fiend God

Again, 10 billion is now small change for Gate Musk Bezos Zukerberg Buffet Apple etc.
Er... no it isn't.

Quote:
A good that includes avoiding another Chuxilliub
What do asteroids have to do with the telescope???

Old 4th June 2021, 05:00 AM   #88
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Er... no it isn't.

I bet T rex would wish even a suboptimal device like James Webb had warned him.

(Honey i shrunk the kids)
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 05:27 AM   #89
Belz...
Fiend God

Are you high right now? I can't make heads or tails of your posts.

Old 4th June 2021, 05:32 AM   #90
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Is that possible for Visible Light telescopes as well? Or it it not practical enough for that frequency band of the spectrum?
I don’t think we can do it for optical band. You need to be able to accurately time the phase of the signal between your different detectors, and I don’t think we really have that capability for visible light in the same way.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 06:50 AM   #91
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The other thing is that using multiple telescopes as a giant interferometer only helps overcome the diffraction limit on angular resolution, it doesn't really amplify the signal strength. So if you've got a bright source that provides plenty of signal and you just need better angular resolution, using this can help a lot. If you're limited on signal intensity, this won't help much.

But it turns out I was wrong, there are actually some optical interferometer telescopes, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_P...Interferometer
But in general, it's not used as much for optical as radio. For one, I think it's easier with radio. Two, radio benefits more, since the diffraction limit is much worse for a single radio telescope dish than for an optical telescope. And three, optical telescopes are often signal limited anyways, so you need big dishes anyways, and that helps with the diffraction limit as a side effect.
Old 4th June 2021, 07:15 AM   #92
erwinl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The other thing is that using multiple telescopes as a giant interferometer only helps overcome the diffraction limit on angular resolution, it doesn't really amplify the signal strength. So if you've got a bright source that provides plenty of signal and you just need better angular resolution, using this can help a lot. If you're limited on signal intensity, this won't help much.

But it turns out I was wrong, there are actually some optical interferometer telescopes, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_P...Interferometer
But in general, it's not used as much for optical as radio. For one, I think it's easier with radio. Two, radio benefits more, since the diffraction limit is much worse for a single radio telescope dish than for an optical telescope. And three, optical telescopes are often signal limited anyways, so you need big dishes anyways, and that helps with the diffraction limit as a side effect.
Thanks!
A bit as I suspected.
But I had no idea concerning present capabilities and/or benefits so I thought, I’d ask.
Old 4th June 2021, 08:22 AM   #93
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

It's starting to be practical.

ETA: helps if I actually add the link, and I see Ziggurat already posted on this issue. https://www.nature.com/articles/464820a

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 4th June 2021 at 08:24 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 12:46 PM   #94
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Er... no it isn't.

I'm not sure how the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" remark figures into Samson's post, but he's alluding to programs such as NASA's Near-Earth Object Observations Program, which scans the sky looking for things on a collision course with Earth. Of greatest concern something like the object that caused the Chicxulub crater and also wiped out the dinosaurs, which is what Samson was referring to when he mentioned T. Rex.

As humans we're also interested in smaller objects like the one that caused the Tunguska event back in 1908: imagine the carnage it could have caused had it occurred over a populated area instead of remote Siberia.

See also the Chelyabinsk meteor, and other modern impact events.

I'm not sure the JWST will help with near Earth observation programs, but we do have Earth based telescopes that are continually searching for potential impact objects.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 01:11 PM   #95
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I'm not sure how the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" remark figures into Samson's post, but he's alluding to programs such as NASA's Near-Earth Object Observations Program, which scans the sky looking for things on a collision course with Earth. Of greatest concern something like the object that caused the Chicxulub crater and also wiped out the dinosaurs, which is what Samson was referring to when he mentioned T. Rex.

As humans we're also interested in smaller objects like the one that caused the Tunguska event back in 1908: imagine the carnage it could have caused had it occurred over a populated area instead of remote Siberia.

See also the Chelyabinsk meteor, and other modern impact events.

I'm not sure the JWST will help with near Earth observation programs, but we do have Earth based telescopes that are continually searching for potential impact objects.
It won't. It has nothing to do with it, which is why samson's post is puzzling. That's what I would say if samson's posts usually made sense.

Old 4th June 2021, 11:04 PM   #96
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

It won't. It has nothing to do with it, which is why samson's post is puzzling. That's what I would say if samson's posts usually made sense.
Exactly. And I actually pointed this out to Samson earlier, so it's weird that he keeps bringing it up.

I suppose it's possible that if a potential problem asteroid or comet was noticed with some other instrument, JWST could be pointed in that direction and potentially give a more accurate measurement of its orbit. I'm not sure if JWST would be better than other telescopes for that job, or how much we could potentially gain from it in that use.

But, as you say, in general James Webb isn't involved in cataloging asteroids, so it doesn't seem to have much to do with the issues of potential impacts.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2021, 08:03 AM   #97
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Exactly. And I actually pointed this out to Samson earlier, so it's weird that he keeps bringing it up.

I suppose it's possible that if a potential problem asteroid or comet was noticed with some other instrument, JWST could be pointed in that direction and potentially give a more accurate measurement of its orbit. I'm not sure if JWST would be better than other telescopes for that job, or how much we could potentially gain from it in that use.

But, as you say, in general James Webb isn't involved in cataloging asteroids, so it doesn't seem to have much to do with the issues of potential impacts.
Radar is the best way to accurately track asteroids. But the world is a bit short on that now that Arecibo is gone.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 04:58 AM   #98
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Einstein ring captured by Hubble

Two galaxies with a distant quasar behind them.

Linky

And, the JWST now has an "official" launch date of December 18th:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58498676

Quote:
The $10bn James Webb Space Telescope is expected to launch on 18 December.

Yes, countless targeted lift-offs have come and gone in the past, but this one has a reality to it that the others didn't: the successor observatory to Hubble is now actually built.

All that is required is to ship the finished telescope to French Guiana, put it on the top of an Ariane rocket, light the engines and stand well back.
Old 17th September 2021, 11:14 PM   #99
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Fingers crossed.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 06:27 AM   #100
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone know why it is being launched from French Guiana and not from KSC? (I know that there is European involvement in the project, but since the telescope was assembled in California, transporting it overseas seems like an unnecessary risk/expense.)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 06:49 AM   #101
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Anyone know why it is being launched from French Guiana and not from KSC? (I know that there is European involvement in the project, but since the telescope was assembled in California, transporting it overseas seems like an unnecessary risk/expense.)

The ESA offered to launch the telescope in exchange for time using the telescope.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 10:31 AM   #102
Garrison
Philosopher

If it was delayed much longer it could have been launching on Starship.
Old 18th September 2021, 05:36 PM   #103
Pope130
Illuminator

One factor is that French Guiana is closer to the equator, getting more use from the Earth's rotational speed.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 06:32 PM   #104
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
One factor is that French Guiana is closer to the equator, getting more use from the Earth's rotational speed.
That's not much of a gain even for things headed toward equatorial GEO. Won't that gain come at the cost of having to change the orbital plane later? Not sure what the exact demands are of the final orbit.
Old 19th September 2021, 09:10 PM   #105
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

There's also the issue that the contracts have been signed for ages. It could have gone up on a SpaceX Falcon Heavy, but instead it's going up on an older Ariane.
Old 19th September 2021, 09:31 PM   #106
jadebox
Master Poster

Again, the reason the telescope is being launched on an Ariane is that NASA negotiated a deal in exchange for observation time using the telescope.

Quote:
Why is NASA's most expensive scientific instrument ever launching on a European rocket? Because the European Space Agency is conducting the launch for NASA in return for a share of observation time using the infrared telescope.
-- https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...e-launch-date/
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2021, 10:40 PM   #107
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

There can't be more than one reason? When was that deal negotiated? I'll bet it was years ago.
Old 20th September 2021, 02:58 AM   #108
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
There can't be more than one reason? When was that deal negotiated? I'll bet it was years ago.
To expand on that a bit, I think it's because not all rockets are capable of carrying this kind of payload to the destination. It isn't going to LEO, like the Hubble, but to a Lagrange point which is much farther out in space.

The Europeans had a rocket that could do it at a time when the Americans did not.
Old 20th September 2021, 06:59 AM   #109
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Again, the reason the telescope is being launched on an Ariane is that NASA negotiated a deal in exchange for observation time using the telescope.
OK. Why did you feel the need to repeat that? Are we missing something?

You seem to be implying that because they charged a price for the service that there wasn't a reason we chose their service, which doesn't really make sense.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 20th September 2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 20th September 2021, 07:02 AM   #110
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It just seems like a weird reason to me. Wouldn't everyone be getting time on the scope anyway?
Old 20th September 2021, 07:22 AM   #111
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
That makes sense from a financial perspective. (Share the cost/share the benefit). But, they could have also negotiated a deal that said "We'll pay SpaceX/NASA/etc. to launch in exchange for observation time"
Quote:
To expand on that a bit, I think it's because not all rockets are capable of carrying this kind of payload to the destination. It isn't going to LEO, like the Hubble, but to a Lagrange point which is much farther out in space.

The Europeans had a rocket that could do it at a time when the Americans did not.
This also makes sense. (I'm surprised that the Americans didn't have any sort of heavy-lift capability at the time, but I guess that sort of thing happens.)

But then, there is still the question: Why launch from French Guiana, instead of launching the European rocket from Kennedy Space Center. (Note: My concern is mostly about the risk of transporting the telescope overseas. Even if the risks may be minimal, the telescope was a huge investment in resources. If it were me I would want to eliminate anything that could jeopardize it.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 07:46 AM   #112
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

But then, there is still the question: Why launch from French Guiana, instead of launching the European rocket from Kennedy Space Center.
Pretty sure rockets can't be moved around that easily. KSC wouldn't be equipped to launch an Ariane.
Old 20th September 2021, 07:50 AM   #113
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

According to Wikipedia, the parameters of this agreement seem to have been agreed to all the way back in 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...pe#Partnership

Quote:
NASA, ESA and CSA have collaborated on the telescope since 1996. ESA's participation in construction and launch was approved by its members in 2003 and an agreement was signed between ESA and NASA in 2007. In exchange for full partnership, representation and access to the observatory for its astronomers, ESA is providing the NIRSpec instrument, the Optical Bench Assembly of the MIRI instrument, an Ariane 5 ECA launcher, and manpower to support operations.[78][124] The CSA will provide the Fine Guidance Sensor and the Near-Infrared Imager Slitless Spectrograph plus manpower to support operations.[125]
Quote:
But then, there is still the question: Why launch from French Guiana, instead of launching the European rocket from Kennedy Space Center. (Note: My concern is mostly about the risk of transporting the telescope overseas. Even if the risks may be minimal, the telescope was a huge investment in resources. If it were me I would want to eliminate anything that could jeopardize it.)
Wouldn't it be even more difficult and possibly risky to transport the European rocket to Kennedy Space Center? Just BTW, if the plan was set in stone back in 2007, there may have been other considerations at the time. It was probably seen as the most viable available rocket vehicle at the time which met all of the requirements.
Old 20th September 2021, 07:58 AM   #114
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You seem to be implying that because they charged a price for the service that there wasn't a reason we chose their service, which doesn't really make sense.
Huh?

The main reason that the ESA is launching the telescope is that they agreed to do so in exchange for observation time using the telescope. ULA could have launched it using an Atlas or Delta rocket, but they would have charged NASA for the launch. SpaceX wasn't an option when the launch was negotiated.
Old 20th September 2021, 08:21 AM   #115
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, you've said some of that multiple times. Just wondering why you are repeating it. Not important.
Old 20th September 2021, 09:40 AM   #116
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone know why it is being launched from French Guiana and not from KSC?
Since it's going up on a European Space Agency rocket, why would it launch from a NASA facility instead of from a European Space Agency facility? I imagine that an orbital rocket launch requires a fair amount of ground support specific to the kind of rocket you're launching. I doubt KSC has that stuff already for an Ariane rocket, whereas Arianes launch from the Guiana Space Center all the time. Importing that equipment to KSC for one launch likely doesn't make any sense.
Old 20th September 2021, 09:55 AM   #117
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Now I want a documentary on the transport cradle(s) for the scope and its major subassemblies. The engineering on that thing must be super intense. Especially if they're confident it can keep the scope safe during a voyage through the entire range of possible Atlantic weather.
Old 20th September 2021, 10:09 AM   #118
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Now I want a documentary on the transport cradle(s) for the scope and its major subassemblies. The engineering on that thing must be super intense. Especially if they're confident it can keep the scope safe during a voyage through the entire range of possible Atlantic weather.
I doubt it's going to have more stress on it during transport to the launch facility than it will have during launch. But yes, engineering a complex satellite to withstand launch forces is a very non-trivial endeavor. It isn't just about the g-forces of launch either, there can also be quite a bit of vibration.
Old 19th October 2021, 03:34 AM   #119
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

$10bn James Webb Space Telescope unpacked in Kourou

One step closer.

Hey, at least the boat it was shipped on wasn’t attacked by pirates or Kaiju.

December 18th is the day, now 2 months away, if everything goes according to plan.
Old 19th October 2021, 06:06 AM   #120
3point14
Pi

Forgive my ignorance. And this is probably in the thread somewhere.

How long does it take to get on station and then start working? When can we expect pictures of little green men?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology