IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ghislaine Maxwell , Jeffrey Epstein , sex trafficking

Old 6th July 2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Samson
Philosopher

Ghislaine Maxwell

She has been charged with grooming and so on, and applies for bail friday.
A good starting point for the thread is to speculate whether she will be successful.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 03:14 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
A good starting point for the thread is to speculate whether she will be successful.
I'm betting no. It's being discussed in the Epstein thread that she's independently wealthy, has multiple passports, and access to housing and other resources in several different countries. It's hard to imagine them being able to set a bail high enough to allow her to go free pending trial, while still ensuring she's not a flight risk. I figure the judge is going to look at her net worth and say, "you know what? I think it's best you just sit in jail until a jury figures out what to do with you."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 03:29 PM   #3
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm betting no. It's being discussed in the Epstein thread that she's independently wealthy, has multiple passports, and access to housing and other resources in several different countries. It's hard to imagine them being able to set a bail high enough to allow her to go free pending trial, while still ensuring she's not a flight risk. I figure the judge is going to look at her net worth and say, "you know what? I think it's best you just sit in jail until a jury figures out what to do with you."
Maybe Dominique Strauss Kahn is a vague parallel, bailed to a local tenement block under strict conditions.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 03:53 PM   #4
shuttlt
Philosopher

Good thing they decided to play it safe with Epstein and keep him in custody, or who knows what might have happened.

Incidentally, do we know what she's been doing since Epstein died? The conspiracy theorist in me wondered if an end game was being agreed behind the scenes. Embarrassing for her to drop dead, embarrassing for her to talk, embarrassing for her to walk free.

Hey, anybody want to bet she accuses Trump of something a week before the election?

Last edited by shuttlt; 6th July 2020 at 03:54 PM.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:19 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Enh. I'd rather stick to discussion of the trial and trial-related matters in this subforum.
Maybe when the accusation actually happens?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:33 PM   #6
angrysoba
Philosophile

I have no idea how these things work, but if she's not a flight risk, then the concept of flight risk has no meaning to me. Wealthy socialite with powerful connections, has been living in hiding (right?) for almost a year.

Last year, Carlos Ghosn managed to get smuggled out of Japan while on bail. It seems way too risky to let her out.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:54 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I have no idea how these things work, but if she's not a flight risk, then the concept of flight risk has no meaning to me. Wealthy socialite with powerful connections, has been living in hiding (right?) for almost a year.

Last year, Carlos Ghosn managed to get smuggled out of Japan while on bail. It seems way too risky to let her out.
Now that I'm thinking a little bit more about the risks of her exposing everything, I'm wondering if her making bail is *more* likely. She's got to have a few friends in high places who would absolutely prefer that she pull an Assange rather than show up for questioning and trial.

ETA: Which now makes me idly curious about how it took the FBI a year to track her down. Was it all just the time it took to do the legwork? Or was someone somewhere at the Bureau slow-playing the investigation at the behest of her associates?

Last edited by theprestige; 6th July 2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 6th July 2020, 04:56 PM   #8
shuttlt
Philosopher

"I'm here to see Ghislaine Maxwell. I'm her sister Barbara."

:-)
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 05:27 PM   #9
angrysoba
Philosophile

Now that I'm thinking a little bit more about the risks of her exposing everything, I'm wondering if her making bail is *more* likely. She's got to have a few friends in high places who would absolutely prefer that she pull an Assange rather than show up for questioning and trial.

ETA: Which now makes me idly curious about how it took the FBI a year to track her down. Was it all just the time it took to do the legwork? Or was someone somewhere at the Bureau slow-playing the investigation at the behest of her associates?
I have no idea.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 05:36 PM   #10
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The FBI has said they were watching her for months. Maybe they were talking to other witnesses to build a stronger case?

And if she was going to pull an Assange, she had plenty of opportunity to do that. Millions of dollars, three passports, friends around the world? Maybe she didn't take off because she thought she couldn't be touched.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 05:54 PM   #11
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The FBI has said they were watching her for months. Maybe they were talking to other witnesses to build a stronger case?

And if she was going to pull an Assange, she had plenty of opportunity to do that. Millions of dollars, three passports, friends around the world? Maybe she didn't take off because she thought she couldn't be touched.
That would make sense given that she probably believed she had complete immunity from prosecution from Epstein's 2008 prosecution, and she may also assume that statute of limitations came into it.

Now that she has been arrested, she might not be as confident of that anymore and poses more of a flight risk now than she was.

Old 6th July 2020, 07:53 PM   #12
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
"I'm here to see Ghislaine Maxwell. I'm her sister Barbara."

:-)
Not being familiar with that first name except in one instance, I initially thought the news stories were about the Star Wars Kid.
Old 6th July 2020, 07:59 PM   #13
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

She will probably ask for House Arrest because of Covid - and might well get it.
Old 6th July 2020, 09:21 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The FBI has said they were watching her for months. Maybe they were talking to other witnesses to build a stronger case?.
More likely the surveillance would have been to see who she had contact with during that time.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 10:20 PM   #15
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
You think she is innocent, right?

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 10:25 PM   #16
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
That would make sense given that she probably believed she had complete immunity from prosecution from Epstein's 2008 prosecution, and she may also assume that statute of limitations came into it.

Now that she has been arrested, she might not be as confident of that anymore and poses more of a flight risk now than she was.
No statute of limitations in the USA for sex trafficking.

She might argue she's immune - double jeopardy and all that - as Acosta did indemnify all of Epstein's conspirators when Epstein received the get out of jail card in Florida.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 05:18 AM   #17
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I just read that Ghislane has Covid19. I suspect a lot of people are hoping it's a really bad case.

I don’t think this is actually true. There’s been no official word that she tested positive for coronavirus.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 05:25 AM   #18
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
She will probably ask for House Arrest because of Covid - and might well get it.

I dont see why. If it’s too dangerous for her to spend time in jail because she might catch COVID, then it would be too dangerous for anybody and nobody would ever be remanded into custody. But that’s obviously not happening.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 05:33 AM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I dont see why. If it’s too dangerous for her to spend time in jail because she might catch COVID, then it would be too dangerous for anybody and nobody would ever be remanded into custody. But that’s obviously not happening.
I think she claims she's already got it.
Old 7th July 2020, 05:38 AM   #20
angrysoba
Philosophile

I don’t think this is actually true. There’s been no official word that she tested positive for coronavirus.
There's also a long history of people who get arrested and then suddenly find themselves not feeling well... there was that guy from Guinness who got Alzheimers and then recovered later, Rupert Murdoch suddenly turned dotty before that inquest about phone hacking, Harvey Weinstein mysteriously lost the use of his legs, etc...*

*oh and Jeffrey Epstein accidentally, brutally strangled himself from behind. That's what you wanna hear isn't it, tinfoilers!!!!1!

Old 7th July 2020, 06:08 AM   #21
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
No statute of limitations in the USA for sex trafficking.

She might argue she's immune - double jeopardy and all that - as Acosta did indemnify all of Epstein's conspirators when Epstein received the get out of jail card in Florida.
I've seen some speculation that the charging of crimes from the early 90's may be selected for this very reason. Some of these crimes alleged took place in Florida, but also in New York, New Mexico, and in London. The time period may place them outside the time span of the very broad and generous plea deal.

I would imagine the non-prosecution agreement is going to come up at some point during the legal wrangling. The optimist in me hopes that such an broad and absurd agreement would not stand up to further judicial scrutiny.
Old 7th July 2020, 06:13 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If I was the judge there is no way I would grant her bail, not even house arrest she is too much of a flight risk.
Old 7th July 2020, 06:53 AM   #23
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Is anyone else here surprised that Maxwell was still in the US? She has plenty of international ties and money, I would have assumed she would have got out of dodge the day that Epstein got picked up and would be resting in a country without extradition by now.

I had assumed we'd never hear from her again.
Same. I know low level drug dealers who were facing far less time with far less resources who decided it was time to leave. I’ll never understand why she stayed. Hubris?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 07:10 AM   #24
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Snopes says the claim orginated as satire.
Quote:
This item was not a factual recounting of real-life events. The article originated with a website that describes its output as being humorous or satirical in nature, as follows:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gh...well-covid-19/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 07:15 AM   #25
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think she claims she's already got it.

I think that is made up I.e. she didn’t claim this.
Old 7th July 2020, 08:50 AM   #26
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

From Twitter - and possibly a bit Anglocentric:

Quote:
If the FBI want Ghislaine Maxwell to sing like a canary and implicate herself, they should ask Darren Grimes to interview her, obviously.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 08:55 AM   #27
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I posted this in the Epstein thread, but it seems to belong here more:

It strikes me as very odd that Maxwell was in the United States still to be apprehended. Seems like she'd take the Epstein arrest as a very clear signal to get the hell out of town pronto, preferably to a country without extradition.
Old 7th July 2020, 09:17 AM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If I was the judge there is no way I would grant her bail, not even house arrest she is too much of a flight risk.
Unless the judge is in the pocket of someone with a vested interest in enabling her escape.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I posted this in the Epstein thread, but it seems to belong here more:

It strikes me as very odd that Maxwell was in the United States still to be apprehended. Seems like she'd take the Epstein arrest as a very clear signal to get the hell out of town pronto, preferably to a country without extradition.
I assume there's some trade-off that she's aware of but isn't visible to the rest of us. She may have access to resources and allies in the states, that she wouldn't have elsewhere, that made the risk of apprehension in the states seem reasonable to her.
Old 7th July 2020, 04:06 PM   #29
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I'm not following along too closely, has she killed herself yet?
Old 7th July 2020, 06:49 PM   #30
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
More likely the surveillance would have been to see who she had contact with during that time.
That would seem very likely. I also guess that if she did accumulate blackmail evidence against others, she may have attempted to access it to make it accessible from overseas. If such evidence exists it would be very strong court evidence against her and worth the police waiting and watching. However that didn't seem to have happened
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 07:38 AM   #31
carlitos
"más divertido"

She may soon. Word is that Ghislane Maxwell "brokered the sale" of Melania Knauss to Donald Trump on behalf of Jeffery Epstein. That's the kind of secret that can get you killed. No idea how to link this - it's in a twitter video linked by rightwingwatch.

The guy expressing this opinion is Rick Wiles, who apparently has White House press credentials.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 08:02 AM   #32
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

My cat has White House press credentials.

Seriously, having watched that video, it's nothing but conspiracy theory nonsense. Rick Wiles is a well-known crank:

Quote:
Rick Wiles (born 1953)[1] is an American far-right conspiracy theorist, non-denominational senior pastor at Flowing Streams Church in Vero Beach, Florida,[2] radio host and pundit. He is the founder of TruNews, a website that promotes racist, homophobic, Islamophobic and antisemitic conspiracy theories.[3][4][5] Wiles has said that Jews seek to obtain control of countries to kill millions of Christians, and has described Jews as "deceivers" who "plot, they lie, they do whatever they have to do to accomplish their political agenda."[6]
C'mon, there's plenty of real stuff out there to attack Trump on. We don't need to spread this garbage. We can all do better than this.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 08:06 AM   #33
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
She may soon. Word is that Ghislane Maxwell "brokered the sale" of Melania Knauss to Donald Trump on behalf of Jeffery Epstein. That's the kind of secret that can get you killed. No idea how to link this - it's in a twitter video linked by rightwingwatch.

The guy expressing this opinion is Rick Wiles, who apparently has White House press credentials.
I don't really see the scandal. Melania was well into her 20's when she met Trump.

I don't think it would shock anyone to suggest neither Trump nor Melania married for love. I don't see Trump's transactional relationship here as outstanding among his peers of thrice married, gross old rich guys.
Old 8th July 2020, 08:13 AM   #34
carlitos
"más divertido"

Add me to the long list of people who don't know how to communicate sarcasm or humor on the internet. Sorry - I'm perhaps too familiar with these conspiracy nuts and forget that most people don't know who they are.
  • I was being sarcastic - I do not believe that this Maxwell person sold our President his latest bride.
  • Yes, Rick Wiles is an anti-semitic conspiracy theorist who should not be taken seriously. TruNews is so bad that they were banned from Youtube.
  • I'm not the only one concerned that anti-semitic conspiracy theorists get press credentials under this White House. shemp's cat is fine.

[above links from Haaretz.com]

Last edited by carlitos; 8th July 2020 at 08:14 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 08:18 AM   #35
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Add me to the long list of people who don't know how to communicate sarcasm or humor on the internet. Sorry - I'm perhaps too familiar with these conspiracy nuts and forget that most people don't know who they are.
  • I was being sarcastic - I do not believe that this Maxwell person sold our President his latest bride.
  • Yes, Rick Wiles is an anti-semitic conspiracy theorist who should not be taken seriously. TruNews is so bad that they were banned from Youtube.
  • I'm not the only one concerned that anti-semitic conspiracy theorists get press credentials under this White House. shemp's cat is fine.

I wasn't trying to imply otherwise, I just don't even understand, from the point of Wiles, what the scandal is supposed to be here.

Even the MAGA CHUDs know that the Melania-Trump marriage is transactional. Who cares who brokered it?

I guess people on the fringe right starting to tie Epstein to Trump could be a problem. If the QAnon types turn on Trump, that would be quite the betrayal.
Old 8th July 2020, 07:28 PM   #36
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I just read that Ghislane has Covid19. I suspect a lot of people are hoping it's a really bad case.
Oh come on Bruto. I "just read" that the Moon is made of green cheese and that's a good thing because I'm hungry.
Old 8th July 2020, 07:33 PM   #37
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

And I was only joking about the Moon being made of green cheese.
Old 8th July 2020, 07:35 PM   #38
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Snopes says the claim orginated as satire.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gh...well-covid-19/
Now I'll have to ask Snopes about the green cheese Moon thing.
Old 9th July 2020, 11:39 AM   #39
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

According to Associated Press news agency, Ghislaine Maxwell is on special watch and being made to wear paper clothing and has paper bedding. The notorious prison in NY were she is being kept do NOT want a repeat of Epstein.

Quote:
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Federal officials were so worried Jeffrey Epstein’s longtime confidante Ghislaine Maxwell might take her own life after her arrest that they took away her clothes and sheets and made her wear paper attire while in custody, an official familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

The steps to ensure Maxwell’s safety while she’s locked up at a federal jail in New York City extend far beyond the measures federal officials took when they first arrested her in New Hampshire last week.

Old 9th July 2020, 12:42 PM   #40
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Sarcasm does not transmit in plain text. Can't argue there.

[*]I was being sarcastic - I do not believe that this Maxwell person sold our President his latest bride.
I don't recall you posting anything to that effect. At worst, the FLOTUS hooked up with Trump in a failed career move and now she is kinda stuck in place. At best, Maxwell might have made introductions, but who cares. Melanie is now stuck wit the consequences of her choices. But she is and was entitled to make whatever choices she wanted. She was in no way some sort of child bride. She was a grown adult.

Again, no argument there.

[*]Yes, Rick Wiles is an anti-semitic conspiracy theorist who should not be taken seriously. TruNews is so bad that they were banned from Youtube.
Wlies is one slimy character.

No argument there.

[*]I'm not the only one concerned that anti-semitic conspiracy theorists get press credentials under this White House. shemp's cat is fine.
Sure. WH press credentials are doled out on the basis of how much one can fawn over Trumpty-Dumpty. Once again, not a controversial claim.

So where is the beef? Where is the kernel of whatever imagined argument is here?

Haaretz has a bias on many issues. Not this one. This is too ubiquitous across all media.

In short, I see you defending yourself against.......well, I am not sure what you are defending against. Myself, I consider your points spot on, in this particular post.

It could be, I suppose, that you have posted other things on other threads that some have taken exception to, I don't know unless such are drawn to my attention. Any such posts would constitute what is called here a "body of work".

Does such a "body of work" actually exist? Perhaps. I have not read all of your posts. Of those I have read, some of them, well they give me pause to consider potential underlying motivation.

Fixing that would be as simple as removing ambiguity.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors