IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ghislaine Maxwell , Jeffrey Epstein , sex trafficking

Old 14th August 2020, 07:38 AM   #161
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
A bit off topic of course, but what's the source of the difference? To an untrained observer one would think that "hung" would definitely be the past participle form of "to hang".
The answers I am aware of go back to Old English...
Quote:
a fusion of Old English hon "suspend" (transitive, class VII strong verb; past tense heng, past participle hangen), and Old English hangian "be suspended" (intransitive, weak, past tense hangode); also probably influenced by Old Norse hengja "suspend," and hanga "be suspended."
Quote:
Hung emerged as past participle 16c. in northern England dialect, and hanged endured only in legal language (which tends to be conservative) in reference to capital punishment and in metaphors extended from it (I'll be hanged).
https://www.etymonline.com/word/hang
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2020, 08:53 AM   #162
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure of the etymology here, but my guess is that "hanged" remains special because it describes a narrow subset of hanging. Everything and everyone who is suspended hangs or is hung, but only those killed when suspended by a rope around the neck are also hanged.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:37 AM   #163
Matthew Best
Philosopher

The full transcipt of her 2016 deposition is available here:

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-co...ition-2016.pdf

It's mainly her denying everything, but also denying everything in the most evasive and pedantic way imaginable, which makes her seem incredibly guilty IMO. But maybe that's just the way lawyers instructed her, I don't know.

The deposition has many redactions, but then right at the end there is an alphabetical index, so I would imagine that the many references to someone who appears between the word "analyzed" and "angeles" in the index is probably Andrew. And between "depth" and "describe" is, I guess, Dershowitz.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2020, 01:32 PM   #164
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

I sped through the first couple hundred pages, then scooted to the end. No juicy tid-bits as far as I could see. Maybe the NASA announcement will be more exciting.
Old 22nd October 2020, 02:05 PM   #165
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Somebody's cracked how you can decode the redacted names simply by looking at the index at the back and matching the said alphabetical letter to the name.

Quote:
It turns out, though, that those redactions are possible to crack. That’s because the deposition—which you can read in full here—includes a complete alphabetized index of the redacted and unredacted words that appear in the document. For example, after cracking the redactions, we know that Maxwell was asked about an email that Dershowitz allegedly sent to Epstein. In that email, Dershowitz reportedly wrote that he was “working on several possible articles about unfairness in the legal process that allows false charges to be inserted into legal documents.”

Here’s how to deduce the redacted words, using former President Bill Clinton as an example.

You can see in the index that a word that falls alphabetically between clients and clock appears on quite a number of pages. From this, we know that the word starts with the letters CL.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-to-crack.html

Seems at least thirty underage women reported Epstein to the police so it will be difficult for Maxwell to persist in her claim she knew nothing about this.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2020, 02:20 PM   #166
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Haven't read the whole thing, but as far as I can tell she is saying these girls just turned up at the door uninvited and barged in.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:33 PM   #167
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Quote:
Here’s how to deduce the redacted words, using former President Bill Clinton as an example.

You can see in the index that a word that falls alphabetically between clients and clock appears on quite a number of pages. From this, we know that the word starts with the letters CL.
Clinton's name appears in the text unredacted.
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:37 PM   #168
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Somebody's cracked how you can decode the redacted names simply by looking at the index at the back and matching the said alphabetical letter to the name.
Yes, I did that in the post that included a link to the deposition.

You’re welcome.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 07:13 AM   #169
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

The New York Times tweeted

Quote:
A judge rejected a $28.5 million bail proposal from Ghislaine Maxwell, a companion of Jeffrey Epstein who is charged with contributing to his abuse of teenage girls. She had sought to be freed from what her lawyers called “intolerable” jail conditions.
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 12:30 PM   #170
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

$28.5 million bail per NYT - that's the highest bail I've ever heard of. But then she is not a flight risk; she's a flight certainty.

She cites "intolerable" jail conditions. I wonder if she is in the jail general population or in some kind of protection.

Last edited by Minoosh; 1st January 2021 at 12:36 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:04 PM   #171
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
$28.5 million bail per NYT - that's the highest bail I've ever heard of. But then she is not a flight risk; she's a flight certainty.

She cites "intolerable" jail conditions. I wonder if she is in the jail general population or in some kind of protection.
She has unlimited resources, and even then, as you say, is a "flight certainty". No amount of bail will secure her for trial.

As for "intolerable" jail conditions, my heart bleeds ice!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 01:34 PM   #172
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
She has unlimited resources, and even then, as you say, is a "flight certainty". No amount of bail will secure her for trial.

As for "intolerable" jail conditions, my heart bleeds ice!
Intolerable jail conditions are often cited. Deserves a thread. Specifics would be helpful, I guess not Scandinavian empathy, but then less demand for jail space up there.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:57 AM   #173
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I thought part of the whole point of jail was that it wasn't intended to be anyplace you really wanted to just go in and hang around*.

*No pun intended, but not really regretted ether.

Last edited by Mike!; 3rd January 2021 at 09:58 AM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 10:17 AM   #174
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I thought part of the whole point of jail was that it wasn't intended to be anyplace you really wanted to just go in and hang around*.

*No pun intended, but not really regretted ether.
Back in the 19th and early 20th century the USA led the way in humane treatment of prisoners, conditions they were kept in and so on. It now appears to be going the opposite direction.

Personally I would prefer prisoners to live in a stable, safe, violence free environment that encourages healthy living such as how to control your anger, how to learn and so on. That way when they leave prison they can rejoin (or I suspect for many join for the first time) mainstream society and enjoy a productive and happy life. (I do also wish for a pony.)
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:37 AM   #175
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
She has been convicted of no crimes as yet; ISTR a principle named 'presumption of innocence '.

Though as a general principle humane treatment of prisoners is a better idea for society.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 03:19 AM   #176
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

She's suffering/trying it on [delete as applicable] again
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 06:24 AM   #177
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I was under the impression that judges had the leeway to deny bail altogether for a high enough flight risk or someone who would endanger the community. I'm curious why the choice of a prohibitively hight bail instead of simply not granting bail.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:52 PM   #178
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Maxwell's latest attempt to get bail involves offering to revoke her French and UK citizenship.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gn-citizenship
Old 24th February 2021, 02:39 AM   #179
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Maxwell's latest attempt to get bail involves offering to revoke her French and UK citizenship.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gn-citizenship
Bit of a red herring on her lawyers' part, as both the UK and France have an extradition treaty with the USA so she is hardly likely to flee there. If she flees it'll be to somewhere like Morocco where there is no extradition, or even Israel as her father had a near state funeral there and was a great Zionist.

Personally, she hasn't killed anyone or committed violence, so I sympathise with her being locked up in solitary confinement with hardened criminals.

Sex trafficking is of course a horrendous and heartbreaking crime, I hasten o add.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 05:07 AM   #180
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Bit of a red herring on her lawyers' part, as both the UK and France have an extradition treaty with the USA so she is hardly likely to flee there. If she flees it'll be to somewhere like Morocco where there is no extradition, or even Israel as her father had a near state funeral there and was a great Zionist.

Personally, she hasn't killed anyone or committed violence, so I sympathise with her being locked up in solitary confinement with hardened criminals.

Sex trafficking is of course a horrendous and heartbreaking crime, I hasten o add.
France is pretty famous for not extraditing French nationals back to the US. Fugitive child rapist and occasional film maker Roman Polanski has been living there for decades and is careful not to travel to other countries that might send him back to the US to face justice.
Old 27th February 2021, 04:22 PM   #181
Planigale
Philosopher

I suspect that even if the prosecution are not really convinced she is a flight risk, being able to keep her (over a year now) in solitary confinement in prison will be part of the negotiations for a plea deal. Plea deals are more likely when the accused are in jail than when out on bail.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 10:09 PM   #182
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I suspect that even if the prosecution are not really convinced she is a flight risk, being able to keep her (over a year now) in solitary confinement in prison will be part of the negotiations for a plea deal. Plea deals are more likely when the accused are in jail than when out on bail.
Otherwise known as, "if you want out, we need names and dates!"

I still think she could put a lot of very powerful people behind bars! Those people will be crapping themselves!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 11:33 PM   #183
Samson
Philosopher

Otherwise known as, "if you want out, we need names and dates!"

I still think she could put a lot of very powerful people behind bars! Those people will be crapping themselves!
Sadly this never seems to happen.
There is a wealth of expectation but teflon almost always delivers.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2021, 02:47 AM   #184
Planigale
Philosopher

I think because of covid, conditions can be very restricted. No association. Minimal exercise. Meals in cells. Remembering that at this point she is an innocent person. During time on suicide watch lights are kept on 24 hours.

Having read through all this, it seems people are somewhat overstating the ability of non state actors to move a tracked individual out of the US during covid lock down. As said if she had wanted to flee she could have gone to France before all this happened. France would not have extradited her, and the traditional French view of the sort of activities she is accused of would have been a gallic shrug of shoulder and comment on anglo-saxon prudity. Of course for all I know her arrest could have been precipitated by an on-line search for Air France flights.

To add to conspiracy theories, one I am surprised has not been floated with regards to her marriage, does the US still have the rule that spouses can not be required to give evidence against each other? Perhaps the guiltier party is not GM but whoever married her? Perhaps why the husband is willing to put all his assets up to get her out of jail? Of course it could be true love. perhaps keeping her locked up is for her own protection?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 08:26 PM   #185
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

More. And more to come?

Ghislaine Maxwell Charged With Sex Trafficking of 14-Year-Old Girl

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/29/n...g-epstein.html
Old 29th March 2021, 08:49 PM   #186
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
More. And more to come?

Almost certainly.
Quote:
The new indictment also says Mr. Epstein and Ms. Maxwell each encouraged the girl to recruit other young women to provide sexualized massages to Mr. Epstein.

In response, the indictment says, the girl brought multiple women and girls to provide erotic massages for Mr. Epstein, and both she and the people she recruited were paid hundreds of dollars in cash.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 10:48 PM   #187
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

She seems to be a very nasty and vile piece of work. If she is found guilty (which seems very likely) I hope she gets the maximum penalty (35 years) with no remission.

If she thinks she's being hard done by now, then she is going to be in for a very rude shock if she ends up somewhere like Danbury or Hazleton.
Old 30th March 2021, 11:20 PM   #188
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

New suit says Epstein threatened to feed one of his victims to alligators.
Quote:
A new lawsuit alleges that Jeffrey Epstein raped and sexually abused a woman who he threatened to feed to alligators, as well as have her 8-year-old son deported, if she shared her experience with anyone.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jeffrey-e...223709460.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 02:09 AM   #189
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

No being funny but 35 years for procuring prostitutes for the purpose of sex seems a bit harsh to me. OK, so several were between the ages of 14 to 17 but they all seem to have gone along to Epstein's mansion willingly and returned time and again for the $200 per session pay out. Yes, it is a heinous crime to procure underage persons for prostitution but is it really on a par with murder in terms of sentencing?

Old 31st March 2021, 02:33 AM   #190
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No being funny but 35 years for procuring prostitutes for the purpose of sex seems a bit harsh to me. OK, so several were between the ages of 14 to 17 but they all seem to have gone along to Epstein's mansion willingly and returned time and again for the $200 per session pay out. Yes, it is a heinous crime to procure underage persons for prostitution but is it really on a par with murder in terms of sentencing?
It’s worse.
Old 31st March 2021, 02:47 AM   #191
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yup!

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It’s worse.
Indeed, that's the maximum, and what Maxwell did is about as bad as it gets as far as procuring minors for sex.

It wasn't just a few, it was dozens over a long period. She was the organizer of a sex-trafficking, sex slavery ring - she procured three girls a day for Epstein alone, girls as young as 13. If you aren't going to sentence the maximum for the worst examples in a given class of crime, what is the point of the maximum?

She also didn't just procure girls, she sexually assaulted them as well, under the guise of "training" them.

Here, have a read...if you have the stomach for it!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...effrey-epstein

Of course, she maybe could mitigate that if she rats out everyone she knows that "benefited" from Epstein's vile predilection for under-aged girls. That 35 years should absolutely be held over her head like the proverbial Sword of Damocles.

Last edited by smartcooky; 31st March 2021 at 02:49 AM.
Old 31st March 2021, 03:29 AM   #192
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

What Darat and Smartcooky said.

Epstein and Maxewell were slave traders. Literally.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 04:13 AM   #193
Samson
Philosopher

No it is not as bad as murder.
Refer to Planigale's Gallic shrug post for another shading. I am surprised that this thread draws out such punishing vehemence in male posters.
Old 31st March 2021, 04:17 AM   #194
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Refer to Planigale's Gallic shrug post for another shading. I am surprised that this thread draws out such punishing vehemence in male posters.
Do you think serial rapists should be jailed, even though they don't kill anyone

Just asking!
Old 31st March 2021, 04:27 AM   #195
Samson
Philosopher

Do you think serial rapists should be jailed, even though they don't kill anyone

Just asking!
Yes they should be.
The comparison is with actual killing and sentencing and I thought Vixen was right to draw a distinction. Maxwell was way off the rails in a raft of ways but let us see what malevolence can be truly established.
Old 31st March 2021, 04:39 AM   #196
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

How does it compare with the maximum sentence for murder?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 05:24 AM   #197
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
A person murdered can suffer no longer, a person sexually abused, raped, or sold into any form of slavery has to live with that for the rest of their life.
Old 31st March 2021, 05:46 AM   #198
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
A person murdered can suffer no longer, a person sexually abused, raped, or sold into any form of slavery has to live with that for the rest of their life.
It's very difficult to draw any straight lines between one crime and another, it's all a fudge really.

In this instance the sheer numbers of victims involved have to have an effect, don't they? If she'd done it once then 35 years might seem a little excessive. But 35 years is way less than a year per victim isn't it?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 05:48 AM   #199
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
It's very difficult to draw any straight lines between one crime and another, it's all a fudge really.
I agree but it does seem a common opinion that murder is the worse of the worse crime.

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

In this instance the sheer numbers of victims involved have to have an effect, don't they? If she'd done it once then 35 years might seem a little excessive. But 35 years is way less than a year per victim isn't it?
Agreed.
Old 31st March 2021, 05:58 AM   #200
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

No being funny but 35 years for procuring prostitutes for the purpose of sex seems a bit harsh to me. OK, so several were between the ages of 14 to 17 but they all seem to have gone along to Epstein's mansion willingly and returned time and again for the $200 per session pay out.
The victims were not prostitutes. They were too young to consent, and the evidence is overwhelming that they were intimidated and confused by master predators. You are blaming the victims in the worst way.

Last edited by Bob001; 31st March 2021 at 06:06 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors