IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Reply
Old 18th December 2020, 04:24 AM   #321
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,080
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Mignini was arrogant and complacent because this "spontaneous statement" mendacity was exactly the sleight-of-hand con trick he'd been able to use with complete alacrity and complete protection over many years as a public prosecutor. Heck, he was probably schooled in it by one of his predecessors.

And to be (slightly) fair to CNN, neither they nor - apparently - any of their Italy-based journalists understood just how and why this contrajudicial trick was played, seemingly throughout Italy (or at least from Florence southwards....). And I suspect Mignini would have known this, and would therefore have known that his "explanation" would have been uncritically accepted.

I remember writing in these threads some time shortly after the 2015 acquittals/annulments, when there were some around these shores wondering what anyone still had to talk about wrt this case, that aside from following Knox's application through the ECHR adjudication and its aftermath*, and also aside from following Sollecito's and Knox's wider claims for compensation from Italy**, the one other remaining area of interest for me was in discovering whether there might be any professional repercussions for Mignini, Comodi, Stefanoni, Giobbi and the whole team of Italian state police who investigated this crime. And I remember writing then - and several more times since - that, Italy being the judicially- and politically-broken nation that it is, it was extremely unlikely that any of them would ever face anything even approaching proper accountability or sanction for their roles in this sorry, often downright-disgraceful saga.

I still hold that belief.



* and there's still that aftermath to consider, especially given Italy's *less than stellar* track record in applying the required ECHR remedies in a timely and fair manner.

** and I strongly suspect that there will be future developments on both those fronts before long.
Proud mother at her son's passing out parade: 'Oh look! My Johnny is the only one marching in step!'


The whole of Italy, including at least fifteen judges, the entire police force and all the forensic scientists were all BENT in their haste to convict Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, just two sweet innocent kids.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 08:00 AM   #322
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,080
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
BiWi you really need to familiarise yourself with what Obstruction of Justice consists of. There is a big difference between a defendant and her family and friends falsely claiming ot all and sundry of police brutality to garner public support and defeat the ends of justice, and some hack journalist quoting them in a newspaper.
The rabbit hole descent. One. More. Time.

You claim "a big difference" then fail to outline what the difference is. Aside from the fact that obstruction of justice had nothing to do with this, and aside from the fact that the defamation charge simply lapsed before it got to trial....

... this is yet another word salad indicative of nothing relevant.

ETA - ....... and, it avoids your original bogus claim that Mignini had been required **by law** to charge Knox's parents. Which left unanswered why Mignini himself had not himself been charged for violating that law, for not including the publisher of the defamation or the reporter, John Follain.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.

Last edited by Bill Williams; 18th December 2020 at 08:41 AM.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 08:03 AM   #323
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,080
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Proud mother at her son's passing out parade: 'Oh look! My Johnny is the only one marching in step!'


The whole of Italy, including at least fifteen judges, the entire police force and all the forensic scientists were all BENT in their haste to convict Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, just two sweet innocent kids.
I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me!

"The whole of Italy" except for its Supreme Court which acquitted them!
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 09:01 AM   #324
AnimalFriendly
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 251
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me!

"The whole of Italy" except for its Supreme Court which acquitted them!
And the Italian legal community which didn't seem to have any problem with the 2015 SC's actions.
AnimalFriendly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 10:08 AM   #325
AnimalFriendly
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 251
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
AIUI It was settled out of court which is why you have heard no more about it as it usually includes a confidentiality clause.

AIUI with the consent of the court, which is often the case in libel/defamation cases, Gumbel in exchange for an undisclosed sum and apology, was acquitted.
That's the problem...you don't understand it. Acquittals aren't "settled out of court". Acquittals don't involve "undisclosed sums" and "apologies". Not by defendants, anyway.
AnimalFriendly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 11:02 AM   #326
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,080
Originally Posted by AnimalFriendly View Post
That's the problem...you don't understand it. Acquittals aren't "settled out of court". Acquittals don't involve "undisclosed sums" and "apologies". Not by defendants, anyway.
Dismissed or struck out is a better term.

Or perhaps you know of a verdict?
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 11:40 AM   #327
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,080
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
AIUI It was settled out of court which is why you have heard no more about it as it usually includes a confidentiality clause.

AIUI with the consent of the court, which is often the case in libel/defamation cases, Gumbel in exchange for an undisclosed sum and apology, was acquitted.
You understand wrong. You've been misled by Peter Quennell. Quennell presented no citation establishing this. He just made something up, to explain why Mignini's suit against Gumbel and Sollecito never made it past the court asking for a translation of what Mignini had claims had been the offending text in "Honor Bound".

There was no cash settlement, and no sum, disclosed or otherwise. Everything past that was the allegation of a website which simply lies about everything to do with the 2007 crime in Perugia.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 11:54 AM   #328
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
AIUI It was settled out of court which is why you have heard no more about it as it usually includes a confidentiality clause.

AIUI with the consent of the court, which is often the case in libel/defamation cases, Gumbel in exchange for an undisclosed sum and apology, was acquitted.
Seriously? This is the game you're going to try and play now? Unbelievable. Even after you were presented before with the evidence Mignini lost the case, you'd rather embarrass yourself with this pathetic nonsense than just admit you were wrong. Amazing.

But to refresh your memory:

Quote:
"È arrivata l'assoluzione per Raffaele Sollecito, che di fronte alla magistratura di Firenze doveva rispondere dell'accusa di vilipendio alle forze dell'ordine, accusato per alcuni passaggi di "Honor bound, il mio viaggio all'inferno e ritorno con Amanda Knox".
Translation of the entire article:

Quote:
"The acquittal has arrived for Raffaele Sollecito, who had to answer the charge of insulting the police before the magistracy of Florence, accused for some passages of "Honor bound, my journey to hell and back with Amanda Knox

For the Tuscan judge "the fact does not exist" and therefore the passages of the memoir published in the United States on the legal matter linked to the murder of the English student Meredith Kercher, are not sufficient to support the accusation against her.

Writer Andrew Gumbel, who with Sollecito had written the book, never published in Italy, was also acquitted yesterday. Inside, a reconstruction of the investigations carried out by the magistrate Giuliano Mignini considered "harmful". The judge had filed a complaint for some of the songs of "Honor bound", and then withdrew it, leaving standing only the accusation of insult, which has ceased today.
https://www.ilgiornale.it/news/crona...e-1456263.html
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 12:15 PM   #329
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Exactly! Mignini used lawsuits as a weapon to intimidate not only Knox, but anyone who dared criticize or cross him. He's not the only one. It's a common practice used in Italy by politicians and other prosecutors against journalists especially and why there's an effort to decriminalize defamation. But politicians and those in authority don't want to do that as it takes away a very handy weapon they can wield against the press. Witness how Trump has tried to discredit the press in the US with his Fake News and Enemy of the People campaign. Just imagine if he had the same ability to sue for defamation as the Italians politicians do!
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Trump is a friend of Amanda Knox.

Do we see a pattern here?
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Once again, you have changed the subject by means of sophistry. We were talking about Trump being characteristic of a typical supporter of Amanda Knox, a white American found guilty of killing someone of a different nationality.
No, actually we were talking about how politicians and prosecutors, including Mignini, using lawsuits to intimidate journalists and anyone who dares criticize them. It was you who changed the subject. No one was talking about "a typical supporter of Amanda Knox" at all.

Quote:
Do we see a pattern here?
Why, yes: the employment of your favorite tactic of diversion whenever confronted with a fact you don't want to acknowledge.

Quote:
BTW has Knox ever sent you a note of thanks for being one of her staunchest defenders? No, I thought not, so you are in the same boat as her other supporters, including Trump
A note? No, she didn't. She thanked me in person in Seattle, August 07, 2015.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 12:25 PM   #330
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Proud mother at her son's passing out parade: 'Oh look! My Johnny is the only one marching in step!'


The whole of Italy, including at least fifteen judges, the entire police force and all the forensic scientists were all BENT in their haste to convict Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, just two sweet innocent kids.
Sweet, sweet irony. This coming from the woman who has claimed every acquitting judge, defense expert, the two court appointed independent experts, and every expert who has criticized this case as being "bent".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 12:38 PM   #331
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Trump is a friend of Amanda Knox.

Do we see a pattern here?

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Why, yes: the employment of your favorite tactic of diversion whenever confronted with a fact you don't want to acknowledge.
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
The rabbit hole descent. One. More. Time.

You claim "a big difference" then fail to outline what the difference is. Aside from the fact that obstruction of justice had nothing to do with this, and aside from the fact that the defamation charge simply lapsed before it got to trial....

... this is yet another word salad indicative of nothing relevant.

ETA - ....... and, it avoids your original bogus claim that Mignini had been required **by law** to charge Knox's parents. Which left unanswered why Mignini himself had not himself been charged for violating that law, for not including the publisher of the defamation or the reporter, John Follain.
Classic example of the pattern I'm talking about: diverting from that which she doesn't want to address to something else thinking we won't notice. We do.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2020, 03:26 PM   #332
AnimalFriendly
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 251
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Dismissed or struck out is a better term.
Then use one of these next time.

Not that either one would be any more likely to involve "apologies" or "undisclosed sums".
AnimalFriendly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2020, 10:21 AM   #333
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,080
Did Vixen ever offer a correction to the claim that Mignini was bound by statute to charge Knox's parents with defamation? I note that Vixen went down the rabbit hole of other tangential diversions.... but was the issue of Mignini being required **by law** to charge the parents ever get addressed?

Did Vixen ever address two subsequent issues:
1) Why, then, did Mignini also not charge John Follain and the Sunday Times, who participated in the so-called defamation?

2) that regardless of who had been charged, that the issue never went beyond that. It simply lapsed, judicially speaking? Meaning: unless you believe that "being charged" equals "being guilty", why is this even an issue? I mean, other than that laying the charge had been frivolous (at best).
It sure looks to me like the sole purpose of Mignini leveling such a charge at Knox's parents was to threaten them - Knox had still been in prison at the time, and it would have meant the possibility that the parents would never see her again.

To contradict that claim of mine, Vixen invents something. She invented out of the colon-library the factoid that Mignini had been "required by law" to charge them.

I'm now stuck. Who do I believe?
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.

Last edited by Bill Williams; 20th December 2020 at 11:50 AM.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2020, 03:06 PM   #334
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
Did Vixen ever offer a correction to the claim that Mignini was bound by statute to charge Knox's parents with defamation? I note that Vixen went down the rabbit hole of other tangential diversions.... but was the issue of Mignini being required **by law** to charge the parents ever get addressed?

Did Vixen ever address two subsequent issues:
1) Why, then, did Mignini also not charge John Follain and the Sunday Times, who participated in the so-called defamation?

2) that regardless of who had been charged, that the issue never went beyond that. It simply lapsed, judicially speaking? Meaning: unless you believe that "being charged" equals "being guilty", why is this even an issue? I mean, other than that laying the charge had been frivolous (at best).
It sure looks to me like the sole purpose of Mignini leveling such a charge at Knox's parents was to threaten them - Knox had still been in prison at the time, and it would have meant the possibility that the parents would never see her again.

To contradict that claim of mine, Vixen invents something. She invented out of the colon-library the factoid that Mignini had been "required by law" to charge them.

I'm now stuck. Who do I believe?
Highlight One: No

Highlight Two: This was her attempt to explain it:

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
BiWi you really need to familiarise yourself with what Obstruction of Justice consists of. There is a big difference between a defendant and her family and friends falsely claiming ot all and sundry of police brutality to garner public support and defeat the ends of justice, and some hack journalist quoting them in a newspaper.
It's quite comical of Vixen to tell Bill W to familiarize himself with what obstruction of justice is when it had absolutely zero to do with what Knox accused the police of doing and with her parents repeating it to the media. How on earth does claiming you/your daughter/your friend was smacked on the back of the head during an interrogation qualify as obstruction of justice?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 20th December 2020 at 03:43 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 06:19 PM   #335
bagels
Master Poster
 
bagels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,217
Hi first time poster in this thread.

Did we ever get to the bottom of who killed Meredith Kercher? Was it the guy with her blood all over his knife marked hands and a history of criminal/break-in behavior?

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it was him. People should look into that.
bagels is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:55 PM   #336
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Originally Posted by bagels View Post
Hi first time poster in this thread.

Did we ever get to the bottom of who killed Meredith Kercher? Was it the guy with her blood all over his knife marked hands and a history of criminal/break-in behavior?

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it was him. People should look into that.
I think it may have been the guy whose DNA was in her, on her bra strap, on the cuff of her jacket sleeve that had been pulled off inside out, whose bloody palm print was on the pillow under her hips, whose bloody shoe prints were next to her body and whose fingerprints were on her purse where her wallet with her money was taken from, who was unemployed and in desperate need of money, and who fled the country but that's just a wild guess. Or it could be because I'm just racist and don't understand science and body language.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:41 PM   #337
whoanellie
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 975
Originally Posted by bagels View Post
Hi first time poster in this thread.



Did we ever get to the bottom of who killed Meredith Kercher? Was it the guy with her blood all over his knife marked hands and a history of criminal/break-in behavior?



Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it was him. People should look into that.
Brilliant

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 02:15 PM   #338
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Originally Posted by bagels View Post
Hi first time poster in this thread.

Did we ever get to the bottom of who killed Meredith Kercher? Was it the guy with her blood all over his knife marked hands and a history of criminal/break-in behavior?

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it was him. People should look into that.
No, it was the psycho from Seattle. I saw it in her eyes, her upper lip twitched, and her moon was in the seventh house and Jupiter aligned with Mars.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 09:07 PM   #339
NotEvenWrong
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 910
Originally Posted by bagels View Post
Hi first time poster in this thread.

Did we ever get to the bottom of who killed Meredith Kercher? Was it the guy with her blood all over his knife marked hands and a history of criminal/break-in behavior?

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it was him. People should look into that.
Hi first time poster here as well.

I heard the prosecutor in this case was into satanic conspiracy theories and stated that Knox teamed up with her Italian bf and a grifter she did not know for a post-Halloween satanic murder orgy. This all seems to be corroborated with some tabloid stories from ~2007.

Although on the other hand this theory does seem to be contradicted by things like the Italian supreme court and all of the top forensic scientists that have looked into this case and published on it. I'm not sure who to believe though and I get confused quite easily -- what's more credible: world leading forensic scientists or tabloids and witchcraft theories? If someone could please help me with this it would be greatly appreciated because I also struggle with tying my own shoes.
NotEvenWrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 04:08 PM   #340
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,080
First time poster here. Please be patient because I'm confused about this case.

I read a newspaper report from the week after the Nov 6 arrests of Knox, Sollecito and Lumumba. The report, based on interviews with the police, said that Knox was changing her story - yet again. Changing it **from** the version she'd given to police under interrogation.

The article said that Knox was subsequent to Nov 6 spending her time busy writing out yet another account of the evening of the murder, back on Nov 1st.

What bothered me was this - didn't the police themselves have a theory as to how the crime had happened? Why was it news that Knox had gone into her interrogation with one version of events, then at interrogation changed to another version of events, and now a week later she was pumping out a third version of events?

I mean, didn't the police know which version was true? I'd read that the so-called second version had been characterized by police as, "at interrogation she buckled, and told us what we already knew." So the police version was true, regardless of what Knox said or didn't say? Help me out here.

But then this business of a third version of events. The article makes it seem like Knox is not to be trusted in **ANY** of the versions the police say she's supplied - on the grounds that she's supplied so many in the first two weeks of the investigation. The police, then, must have had iron-clad evidence against Patrick Lumumba to take the word of a serial version-of-events-changer - I mean, there must have been reason to suspect that Lumumba had done it apart from **anything** Knox had claimed.

Then it occurred to me - what if this third version, was actually a restatement of the first version - that she'd been with Sollecito all night?

I guess in the next weeks and months we have to see what Sollecito says. Strangely, no one seems much concerned in these first few days with anything he's saying.

Wouldn't it be strange that if years from now, both Sollecito and Knox stick to their first alibis? My bet would be that in that case, that the police (and internet trolls) will go into a full court press to brand the two as liars......

..... which if true, why then did the police in the early morning of Nov 6, 2007, rush out to arrest Lumumba because, "we had to, since Knox had accused him"? Wouldn't branding them as liars tend to undercut the police's rush to judgement about Lumumba? Which part of Lumumba's arrest had been part of Knox, "buckling and telling us what we already knew"?

This is confusing. Hopefully someone can provide some clarity to a newbie.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.

Last edited by Bill Williams; 30th December 2020 at 04:15 PM.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 05:18 PM   #341
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Quote:
I mean, didn't the police know which version was true? I'd read that the so-called second version had been characterized by police as, "at interrogation she buckled, and told us what we already knew." So the police version was true, regardless of what Knox said or didn't say? Help me out here.

Hey, Bill W. Long time poster here. It's really quite simple. As a psychopath who enjoyed taunting and torturing the beautiful and popular roommate that she was so jealous of, apparently she just couldn't handle it afterwards, so she got amnesia. But with the tender coaxing of her interpreter and considerate provision of calming chamomile tea by the police she was able to remember what had really happened.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 05:38 PM   #342
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,080
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Hey, Bill W. Long time poster here. It's really quite simple. As a psychopath who enjoyed taunting and torturing the beautiful and popular roommate that she was so jealous of, apparently she just couldn't handle it afterwards, so she got amnesia. But with the tender coaxing of her interpreter and considerate provision of calming chamomile tea by the police she was able to remember what had really happened.
Thanks for your response. Sorry for all the newbie questions. I'm nowhere near up to speed with this case. Bear with me.

This is what I can't figure out. As long as the police and subsequent courts solidify a case against all three - Knox, Sollecito, AND **LUMUMBA** - I think the eventual conviction of all three will stand up against any appeals. Of note, none of those three - Knox, Sollecito, OR **LUMUMBA** - could have managed a second-storey break in, therefore the break-in must have been faked as an afterthought. Thankfully at this early date just days after the horrible murder, no other suspect is in sight who could have done a break-in like the one through Romanelli's window.

But here's the deal - I don't know if at this early date if this even could happen, given the evidence against all three - Knox, Sollecito, AND **LUMUMBA**......

But if one of those three turns out not to have been involved, I don't see how the other two could have either.

Say, for instance what if Knox is eventually ruled out as a suspect. How could Sollecito AND Lumumba have been involved? Indeed, with Knox ruled out, she's Sollecito's alibi! And there's no evidence, none at all, that Lumumba had done this.

Similarly, if Sollecito is eventually ruled out, despite what Knox had said at interrogation, how could she and Lumumba have done this? An uninvolved Sollecito gives her an alibi! Is there ANY evidence that Lumumba did this by himself? I haven't seen it.

Finally, if Lumumba is ruled out, how could Knox and Sollecito have done this? Remember the way that the cops had put it after arresting Lumumba - "Knox had buckled and told us what we'd already known".

The big question - what had the cops already known? Their arrest of Lumumba immediately following Knox's confession must mean that that was what they had known - that Lumumba had been involved. I mean, Knox's confession could even have been coerced, why do the cops even need her as a suspect if they'd already known that **LUMUMBA** had been involved? That would mean that the cops had had some other evidence other than Knox's memorale at interrogation.

I know I'm twisting myself into a pretzel here with all these "what ifs". I just can't see how if the cops let one of those three go - Knox, Sollecito, OR **LUMUMBA** - how they couldn't let all three go. None of it adds up. Or am I missing something?

Do you think as November 2007 proceeds that the police might get a break in this case about anyone else? Especially someone who might match the unidentified forensics in the murderroom?

Please advise. Be patient. I'm a newbie.
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.

Last edited by Bill Williams; 31st December 2020 at 05:46 PM.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 06:42 PM   #343
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Bill, I can understand how you're confused. See, the police knew it was Knox and Sollecito because they were seen canoodling...practically having sex...outside the cottage right after the murder. It was disgusting! Only the killers would behave that way. And only someone involved would likely hire someone like that to work for them. That's why the police suspected Lumumba was involved. So you can understand why they believed Knox when she willingly and without coercion volunteered his name. Especially when they saw her text to him setting up a meeting with him later that night which, for some reason, he never kept. I suspect he was supposed to meet them at the cottage but couldn't. Perhaps his girlfriend became suspicious. I think the police may have been on to something after all. Who knows? Maybe Guede was a last minute substitute that Knox had to fit in when Lumumba didn't show up.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 06:50 PM   #344
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,080
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Bill, I can understand how you're confused. See, the police knew it was Knox and Sollecito because they were seen canoodling...practically having sex...outside the cottage right after the murder. It was disgusting! Only the killers would behave that way. And only someone involved would likely hire someone like that to work for them. That's why the police suspected Lumumba was involved. So you can understand why they believed Knox when she willingly and without coercion volunteered his name. Especially when they saw her text to him setting up a meeting with him later that night which, for some reason, he never kept. I suspect he was supposed to meet them at the cottage but couldn't. Perhaps his girlfriend became suspicious. I think the police may have been on to something after all. Who knows? Maybe Guede was a last minute substitute that Knox had to fit in when Lumumba didn't show up.
As a newbie, I'm operating under the assumption that the cops never do anything wrong.

So it is, I don't suspect they will let ANY of the three go - Knox, Sollecito OR **LUMUMBA**. Why would they let any of them go? There must be evidence of any of the three of them in that murderroom. All I am doing is surmising what it would mean if the cops, somewhere in the coming days, let one of them go.

So I admit to being stuck. Based on the police's actions, it is clear that Lumumba is their suspect #1. Case closed, they'd said. Knox had buckled and told them what they'd already known, meaning what they'd suspected from the beginning.

Me, I think they should just let all three go. That way they won't put the victims, the Kerchers, through a decade's worth of hell as the cops try to fit three round pegs into a square hole.

What do you think?
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 06:59 PM   #345
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Well, since there is only evidence of one person besides Kercher in that room...the small time drug dealer-thief named Guede who left his dna inside and on the victim, on her bra and his bloody palmprint on the pillow under her hip and left his bloody shoe prints around her body and left his dna on her purse where her wallet was stolen from... letting the other three go would be the sensible thing. So, yeah.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 07:08 PM   #346
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,080
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Well, since there is only evidence of one person besides Kercher in that room...the small time drug dealer-thief named Guede who left his dna inside and on the victim, on her bra and his bloody palmprint on the pillow under her hip and left his bloody shoe prints around her body and left his dna on her purse where her wallet was stolen from... letting the other three go would be the sensible thing. So, yeah.
Rudy Guede? Who's he? You mean there were FOUR people involved? Come to think of it, I just read a newspaper account suggesting a drifter like that... making it four. Could Guede have managed a second-storey break-in?

Okay, now I am going to have to do the calculus again, but this time consider the implications of any one, or two, or three of the combinations of those four were to be cleared.

I mean, if, for instance, **LUMUMBA** were to be cleared, then that makes a farce out of the police's handling of the all night interrogations where he'd been implicated - where "Knox had buckled and told us what we knew to be true".

There are now 14 combinations of 1, 2 or 3 of those four being let go, any one of which (when you think it through) would make no sense if that number in that combination were to be cleared.

So maybe it had to be all four!? What am I missing? Police don't bungle these kind of high profile cases.

ETA - you know what - there is one of those combinations were if you eliminated some of the suspects, things would make sense. If you eliminated Knox, Sollecito and Lumumba, then having Guede as a suspect works. How am I doing?
__________________
In a thread titled "Who Killed Meredith Kercher?", the answer is obvious. Rudy Guede and no one else.

Last edited by Bill Williams; 31st December 2020 at 07:13 PM.
Bill Williams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 07:23 AM   #347
TomG
Critical Thinker
 
TomG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 394
Happy new year first of all.

Has anyone considered the possibility that if the semen stain on the pillow had been tested it might have provided a match for one of the unidentified male profiles on 165b? That would have provided more evidence than there ever was against Raffaele.

Hoots
__________________
The pro-guilt psychology is that if you can't nail K&S with evidence, don't presume innocence, try something else.
TomG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 12:14 PM   #348
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Bill, don't be silly! No one could climb that wall and enter Filomena's room. Physically impossible. It would take a Spiderman!
However, you do have a point. Guede does make sense as a suspect because only his credible forensic presence is found in that room. Unless, of course, Knox and Sollecito cleaned the room of all their DNA, fingerprints, and shoe/footprints. I've heard that's possible.

Tom, I'm sure the prosecution and court had a good reason for not testing the suspected semen found on the pillow placed under the hips of the sexual assault-murder victim. Who are we to question them? After all, I'm sure they know better than we do. After all, the Perugia police have shown themselves to be professional, honest, and a crack force who have received medals for their superlative job of finding the killers in this case.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 1st January 2021 at 12:20 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:56 PM   #349
NotEvenWrong
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 910
Guys I don't mean to sound like a complete blithering idiot but have you considered the possibility that tabloids from 2007 are the most accurate source for information on this case? Like maybe they know more than the Italian Supreme Court, Peter Gill, and every other world-leading forensic scientist that has looked into the case. Right? Who's with me! Maybe we can publish a book or 400. Oooooo this is more excited than my daily soap operas.
NotEvenWrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 05:36 PM   #350
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
NotEvenWrong, I'm with you. After all, those reporters were there at the very beginning when things were fresh in everyone's mind, not years later when they'd forgotten things or been influenced by things like talking to other people, facts, and ...worst of all...forensics. I mean, look at how the prosecution forgot to bring up the running washing machine and how Knox smelled of sex that morning. They even forgot to mention the bucket and mop that K and S had with them on the front porch.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:33 AM   #351
NotEvenWrong
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 910
One thing that I heard from the tabloids is that Amanda Knox did a cartwheel — does this not immediately imply she orchestrated a pagan sex orgy where Meredith was killed? Some may say it unlikely she would recruit a random grifter she barely knew to participate in said orgy. I say hogwash and these people don’t have the proper imagination for making up fantastical stories. I mean she did a cartwheel for God’s sake! The tabloids even said so!
NotEvenWrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 01:29 PM   #352
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Originally Posted by NotEvenWrong View Post
One thing that I heard from the tabloids is that Amanda Knox did a cartwheel — does this not immediately imply she orchestrated a pagan sex orgy where Meredith was killed? Some may say it unlikely she would recruit a random grifter she barely knew to participate in said orgy. I say hogwash and these people don’t have the proper imagination for making up fantastical stories. I mean she did a cartwheel for God’s sake! The tabloids even said so!
Napoleoni and Ficarra both said they saw her do a cartwheel. Would they lie? After all, they both have such shining reputations for honesty and telling the truth. Especially Napoleoni!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 07:01 PM   #353
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Does anyone have access to this?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...view-0g0r5tt96
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 02:35 PM   #354
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Many thanks to Methos!!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 12:44 PM   #355
Guss
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 20
Injustice Anywhere Website

The amandaknoxcaseDOTnet is back up with some changes.
Guss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 01:41 PM   #356
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,716
Originally Posted by Guss View Post
The amandaknoxcaseDOTnet is back up with some changes.
Link that works?
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:18 AM   #357
TomG
Critical Thinker
 
TomG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 394
wiki access

I can't get access to it either. I've always had TomG as my username but the site won't recognise it. It doesn't recognise my e-mail either. It's a pity since it represented a lot of work and was handy for reference purposes.

Hoots
__________________
The pro-guilt psychology is that if you can't nail K&S with evidence, don't presume innocence, try something else.
TomG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:04 PM   #358
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,416
Italy is certainly taking their sweet time responding to the ECHR's ruling on Knox's calunnia conviction. It's possible it could be due to Covid or they could be intentionally ignoring it due to having their nose out of joint. This is what comes of the ECHR having no teeth to enforce their rulings.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 11:58 PM   #359
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,716
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
I can't get access to it either. I've always had TomG as my username but the site won't recognise it. It doesn't recognise my e-mail either. It's a pity since it represented a lot of work and was handy for reference purposes.

Hoots
Massive data and research
Bruce Fisher is still around I hope the site is still recoverable.
Huge on Jeremy Bamber, Mark Lundy and hundreds of others. Started with Knox
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 09:19 AM   #360
TomG
Critical Thinker
 
TomG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 394
Amanda in good form

Amanda in good form on this one. She really does come across as an accomplished woman with remarkable insight. It gets me wondering if she would have turned out that way if she hadn't suffered wrongful imprisonment. She seems to suggest that it wouldn't She goes on to say that she "likes to face what she is afraid of". It appears to me that her imprisonment would have given her a good grounding for developing that ethos. Sometimes the best results can come from the most difficult situations.

I didn't know that she had suffered a miscarriage. I hope that she can eventually have a family of her own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr9DrOXRHCI

Hoots
__________________
The pro-guilt psychology is that if you can't nail K&S with evidence, don't presume innocence, try something else.
TomG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.