IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Lauren Boebert , Marjorie Taylor Greene

Old 1st February 2021, 02:06 AM   #321
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Who will be the Joseph Welch to Senator Joe McCarthy?

Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?
Unfortunately, that requires a sense of decency to be regarded as a good thing.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 12:16 PM   #322
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Decency is for wimps.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 12:37 PM   #323
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Decency is for wimps.
Decency is for libtards.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 01:15 PM   #324
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Trumpers seem to being going all in on defending Green.
I am seeing "Trump/Green 2024" memes all over the place.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 01:48 PM   #325
Dragon
Graduate Poster

WWG1WGA!!
Old 1st February 2021, 02:25 PM   #326
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Am I still not allowed to say they're stupid?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 02:36 PM   #327
gregthehammer
Muse

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
WWG1WGA!!
Yeah, well, where I go 1 sometimes i also go 2
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 04:43 PM   #328
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
They have gone beyond stupidity.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2021, 04:45 PM   #329
Lurch
Graduate Poster

How do the GOP reconcile this? Senators say an impeachment trial is unconstitutional because T**** is out of office. But the deplorables say he really won.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 04:48 PM   #330
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Democrats move against Taylor Green:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/polit...nts/index.html

Win Win for the Dems,They suceed, MTG is margnizlized, they fail, they have made the GOP go on record defending MTG and her insanity which will play horribly with the swing surbrugan voters. what's not to like for the Dems?

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 1st February 2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 1st February 2021, 05:09 PM   #331
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Democrats move against Taylor Green:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/polit...nts/index.html

Win Win for the Dems,They suceed, MTG is margnizlized, they fail, they have made the GOP go on record defending MTG and her insanity which will play horribly with the swing surbrugan voters. what's not to like for the Dems?
Quote:
Greene herself warned Monday that the precedent could be used against Democrats in the future. "If Democrats remove me from my committees, I can assure them that the precedent they are setting will be used extensively against members on their side once we regain the majority after the 2022 elections," she tweeted.
Good! If any Democrat said such disgusting things, I'd want them thrown off any committees. In fact, I'd want them thrown out of Congress.
Old 1st February 2021, 05:13 PM   #332
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Good! If any Democrat said such disgusting things, I'd want them thrown off any committees. In fact, I'd want them thrown out of Congress.
Actually they are not trying to expel Green, just strip her of her comitee assigments..education in particular.
The beauty of this for the Dems is they eighter force the GOP to move against one of their own, or they force the GOP to publically defend, in front of God and everybody, MTG's insanity.Win Win situation if ever there was one.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st February 2021, 05:35 PM   #333
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
How do the GOP reconcile this? Senators say an impeachment trial is unconstitutional because T**** is out of office. But the deplorables say he really won.
The unconstitutional defense is fundamentally really silly

1) It's obviously NOT unconstitutional. The authority of the senate to have an impeachment trial on someone who is already out of office was established in the 1800s. That precedent is set. How can someone now claim it's not constitutional?

2) Oh, but the senate decides what is and what isn't constitutional, right? So if the senate determines it is not constitutional, then it isn't.

Fair enough. So hold a vote in the senate to ask the question, "Is it constitutional?" And if the Senate votes yes, it is, then, yes it is. Note that doesn't take a 2/3 majority to pass that question.

Now that the senate has determined that it is constitutional, you can vote on the impeachment charges. The "it's not constitutional" objection is gone, because the Senate has decided that it is constitutional. Therefore, you have to vote on the charges at hand.
Old 1st February 2021, 05:40 PM   #334
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Actually they are not trying to expel Green, just strip her of her comitee assigments..education in particular.
The beauty of this for the Dems is they eighter force the GOP to move against one of their own, or they force the GOP to publically defend, in front of God and everybody, MTG's insanity.Win Win situation if ever there was one.
I understand that. I'm pointing out the empty threat in her tweet. Let this set a precedent. Any Democrat who made such disgusting statements would probably never be elected in the first place and if, by some rare chance was, would not be embraced by fellow Democrats. I cannot think of a single equivalent case of a Democrat. Can anyone else?
Old 1st February 2021, 05:44 PM   #335
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell has stated that "Loony lies and conspiracy theories are cancer for the Republican Party and our country. Somebody who's suggest that perhaps no airplane hit the Pentagon on 9/11, hat horrifying school shooting were pre-staged, and the the Clintons crashed JFK Jr.'s airplane is not living in reality."
Old 1st February 2021, 06:15 PM   #336
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell has stated that "Loony lies and conspiracy theories are cancer for the Republican Party and our country. Somebody who's suggest that perhaps no airplane hit the Pentagon on 9/11, hat horrifying school shooting were pre-staged, and the the Clintons crashed JFK Jr.'s airplane is not living in reality."
A fairly "uncoded" warning directly to the party to dumb down or at least silence this sort of counter-productive behaviour.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 06:26 PM   #337
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Deleted. Got something wrong. Will be back.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 1st February 2021 at 06:31 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 06:57 PM   #338
trustbutverify
Philosopher

That's right, you entitled elitist neo-liberal snob. You're still not allowed.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 07:16 PM   #339
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

And so the battle-lines are drawn between the McConnell Republicans and the Q-Republicans. Not attacking Trump directly, but those associated with his perceived reality.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 07:19 PM   #340
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
A fairly "uncoded" warning directly to the party to dumb down or at least silence this sort of counter-productive behaviour.

Dumb down?
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 07:19 PM   #341
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Civil war in the Republican Party. Delicious.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 07:20 PM   #342
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Oh, dear, poor McConnell: those fleas from the dogs he lay with finally got to biting him.
Old 1st February 2021, 07:21 PM   #343
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I've heard that Obama hates white people. Not directly from Obama, though.

Old 1st February 2021, 07:24 PM   #344
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I've heard that Obama hates white people. Not directly from Obama, though.
The things Taylor Green is being judged on come direct from her own mouth though.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 07:26 PM   #345
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Oh, dear, poor McConnell: those fleas from the dogs he lay with finally got to biting him.
Having failed to draw the line at Tea Party entryism he's obliged to draw it now, further down the rabbit-hole. Sadly, given the system, McConnell's powers of obstruction remain pretty substantial.

Old 1st February 2021, 07:28 PM   #346
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
He better hire extra security. Those dogs and their fleas may have something more dangerous than biting in mind.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 07:29 PM   #347
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
The things Taylor Green is being judged on come direct from her own mouth though.
Quite.

I've heard "Merry Xmas!" from Obama's own mouth, but never from Taylor Green's. Make of that what you will.

Old 1st February 2021, 07:38 PM   #348
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
He better hire extra security. Those dogs and their fleas may have something more dangerous than biting in mind.
I hear Pence is joining a very remote Greek Latin monastery which prohibits female livestock, let alone women, and the Kushners are off to a new life in a West Bank settlement.

Old 1st February 2021, 08:06 PM   #349
bam
Scholar

I hear Pence is joining a very remote Greek Latin monastery which prohibits female livestock, let alone women, and the Kushners are off to a new life in a West Bank settlement.
Waiting for openings on the jewish space lasers?
bam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 08:32 PM   #350
Lurch
Graduate Poster

I understand that. I'm pointing out the empty threat in her tweet. Let this set a precedent. Any Democrat who made such disgusting statements would probably never be elected in the first place and if, by some rare chance was, would not be embraced by fellow Democrats. I cannot think of a single equivalent case of a Democrat. Can anyone else?
In the fever addled brainpans of the Goopers and deplorables, AOC's progr--I mean leftist musings and mootings are far more horrifying. Or so they might claim.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 08:35 PM   #351
zorro99
Graduate Poster

MTG would be carrying signs and muttering to herself on street corners if not for the internet.
Old 1st February 2021, 08:36 PM   #352
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The West Bank of Florida, maybe.
Old 1st February 2021, 08:40 PM   #353
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
MTG would be carrying signs and muttering to herself on street corners if not for the internet.
I'm confident she won't let the internet stop her.
Old 1st February 2021, 09:01 PM   #354
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The West Bank of Florida, maybe.
Somebody must be running a death-pool on those to blame for Trump's defeat. If I were the Jew in the pot I'd want to be a lot further away than Florida, frankly. Time to call in a favour or two from Bibi, and Kushner has raised a lot of money for Israeli settlements. He must like them in principle.

Old 1st February 2021, 09:04 PM   #355
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I'm confident she won't let the internet stop her.
Cheap paperbacks brought us brilliant sci-fi, great popular science, Scientology, and Chariots of the Gods. The internet's just the latest thing.

Old 1st February 2021, 09:10 PM   #356
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Yeah, well, where I go 1 sometimes i also go 2
Nommed.
Old 1st February 2021, 09:14 PM   #357
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

And so the battle-lines are drawn between the McConnell Republicans and the Q-Republicans. Not attacking Trump directly, but those associated with his perceived reality.
Nerf guns?
Old 1st February 2021, 09:19 PM   #358
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Cynthia McKinney, but that was a long time back.
Old 1st February 2021, 09:21 PM   #359
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
In the fever addled brainpans of the Goopers and deplorables, AOC's progr--I mean leftist musings and mootings are far more horrifying. Or so they might claim.
On which subject, Biden and Harris are about to send antifa into the suburbs to destroy their communities (so recently rescued from said destruction by Trump), so what's being done about that? Any word from Trump on strategy? Or on anything?

Old 1st February 2021, 09:24 PM   #360
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TJM View Post
Cynthia McKinney, but that was a long time back.
Not something that sprang to mind, but in future it will.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics