IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 10th October 2021, 03:15 AM   #2441
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 100,337
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's well documented.
The only problem is: is it worth going after Trump for money laundering?
It's not like he's that rich after paying off debts. And the strong suspicion is that he has been snitching to the FBI about some of his benefactors in return for being left alone; it's the most likely explanation why the Feds and Mueller were so hands-off about investigation his financials: they would have outed him as an Informant.
There is no way Trump could be an informant, he doesn't know anything.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 03:33 AM   #2442
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 16,036
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
There is no way Trump could be an informant, he doesn't know anything.
But he point a finger at who bought what from him at double the going rate.
__________________
“You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
-Anne Lamott
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 04:24 AM   #2443
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 10,786
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
There is no way Trump could be an informant, he doesn't know anything.
Until he is faced with extended jail time. Then tweet, tweet quite literally!
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 07:06 AM   #2444
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 14,169
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's well documented.
The only problem is: is it worth going after Trump for money laundering?
It's not like he's that rich after paying off debts. And the strong suspicion is that he has been snitching to the FBI about some of his benefactors in return for being left alone; it's the most likely explanation why the Feds and Mueller were so hands-off about investigation his financials: they would have outed him as an Informant.
If he's laundering money for Russian gangsters, and that's why he's been subservient to Putin, that's certainly worth pursuing. The Mueller investigation was always limited by fear that Trump would fire Mueller and shut it down, which he had absolute power to do.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 07:16 AM   #2445
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 14,169
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Stupidity, of course.
The exact form of stupidity was spenidng huge amounts of money on a new casino in a market (Atlantic City) that was already flooded;simply too many casinos in a crowded market.
And his casino did not have enough attractions to draw customers from the established casinos.
Trump was warned about this from his own staff but ignored them. he thought the mere name Trump would be a draw, It was';nt.
A big part of the reason AC was "flooded" with casinos is that Trump built not one, not two, but three. They took business from each other in a finite market. One alone could have been very successful if it was run well.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 07:19 AM   #2446
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,816
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
A big part of the reason AC was "flooded" with casinos is that Trump built not one, not two, but three. They took business from each other in a finite market. One alone could have been very successful if it was run well.
What else do you expect from a Crazy conspiracy theorist that couldn't understand how the holes in IBM Paper punch cards worked?
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 11:59 AM   #2447
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 25,089
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If he's laundering money for Russian gangsters ...
It's certainly credible that Trump has laundered dirty Russian money in the past, given that the New York property market (like the London one) is a notorious playground for money-launderers. Given the sort of people Trump associates with, it's hardly credible that Trump didn't get involved.

It's also credible that he lost money on the deal.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 05:14 PM   #2448
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 43,795
GQP a Trump cult? Nah!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trump cult.jpg (73.0 KB, 11 views)
__________________
Every time you feed a troll, God kills a kitten. Please stop killing kittens.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:31 PM   #2449
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,027
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
GQP a Trump cult? Nah!
My boss, who was a life long GOP member, quit a year ago saying he joined the Republican party, not a insane personality cult.
It's tragic, though. We need a non insane conservative party as a counterbalance to the Democrats.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:33 PM   #2450
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,027
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
A big part of the reason AC was "flooded" with casinos is that Trump built not one, not two, but three. They took business from each other in a finite market. One alone could have been very successful if it was run well.
I don't know, I keep on reading he was a latecomer to AC and the established Casinos had built loyal followings, and Trump was, despite the flash, to lure people away from their favorite casinos.
It is interesting that Trump has been so unsucessful in his attampts to get into the Las Vegas market.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:34 PM   #2451
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,027
No announcment of his candacy, but his save America rally in Iowa was truly scary, with it's implied promise of violence.
I keep on telling you people, this is not going to have a peaceful ending.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 02:38 PM   #2452
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,027
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's well documented.
The only problem is: is it worth going after Trump for money laundering?
It's not like he's that rich after paying off debts. And the strong suspicion is that he has been snitching to the FBI about some of his benefactors in return for being left alone; it's the most likely explanation why the Feds and Mueller were so hands-off about investigation his financials: they would have outed him as an Informant.
I have wondered if Trump's alleged ties to a certain Italian American Fraternal Organization would not be an interesting area of inquiry...particualry if he has ratted on them sometime in the past. The Honored Society does not like rats.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 03:02 PM   #2453
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 36,451
The hand count in Maricopa County was off by hundreds of thousands of ballots, according to a review of newly released Arizona audit records.

Election analysts say Cyber Ninjas' count was off by about 312,000 and it also double counted almost 23,000 ballots in its months-long review of 2020 election results.
The numbers represent the latest challenge to the Arizona Senate's audit, which was led by Cyber Ninjas, involved more than a thousand volunteers and cost millions of dollars.

A 695-page report, produced by former Arizona GOP chair and audit spokesperson Randy Pullen, was supposed to provide a snapshot of all the counts of the 2.1 million ballots cast in the county's general election. The Arizona Senate released the report late Friday after The Arizona Republic filed a request under the state's Public Records Law.
But Cyber Ninjas didn't tally as many as 167,000 Maricopa County ballots, according to analysts who reviewed the report for The Republic.
The hand-count numbers in the report reflect a 15% error rate when compared with a separate machine count of ballots authorized by the Arizona Senate, they said.


https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/...-k/6094144001/

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th October 2021 at 03:05 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 05:53 PM   #2454
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,391
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The hand count in Maricopa County was off by hundreds of thousands of ballots, according to a review of newly released Arizona audit records.

Election analysts say Cyber Ninjas' count was off by about 312,000 and it also double counted almost 23,000 ballots in its months-long review of 2020 election results.
The numbers represent the latest challenge to the Arizona Senate's audit, which was led by Cyber Ninjas, involved more than a thousand volunteers and cost millions of dollars.

A 695-page report, produced by former Arizona GOP chair and audit spokesperson Randy Pullen, was supposed to provide a snapshot of all the counts of the 2.1 million ballots cast in the county's general election. The Arizona Senate released the report late Friday after The Arizona Republic filed a request under the state's Public Records Law.
But Cyber Ninjas didn't tally as many as 167,000 Maricopa County ballots, according to analysts who reviewed the report for The Republic.
The hand-count numbers in the report reflect a 15% error rate when compared with a separate machine count of ballots authorized by the Arizona Senate, they said.


https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/...-k/6094144001/
If the Senate of Arizona had any integrity, they'd ask for their money back. Cyber Ninjas clearly misrepresented themselves as competent. Clearly they were not.

Not because they didn't give the answer they wanted, but because these clowns obviously didn't know what they were doing.

As stupid as it was, they paid for an audit. What they got was a clown show.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 05:58 PM   #2455
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 10,786
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
If the Senate of Arizona had any integrity, they'd ask for their money back. Cyber Ninjas clearly misrepresented themselves as competent. Clearly they were not.

Not because they didn't give the answer they wanted, but because these clowns obviously didn't know what they were doing.

As stupid as it was, they paid for an audit. What they got was a clown show.
No, they paid for a clown show, and the Ninjas delivered.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 06:27 PM   #2456
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,223
I demand an audit of the audit!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 06:34 PM   #2457
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,027
Surprised Trump has not gotten into a rant about John Gruden being fired by the Las Vegas Raiders over racail slurs he has made in e mails.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 06:35 PM   #2458
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lenoir City, TN/Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 7,030
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I demand an audit of the audit!
Yep! Audits all the way down!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 06:36 PM   #2459
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,223
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Surprised Trump has not gotten into a rant about John Gruden being fired by the Las Vegas Raiders over racail slurs he has made in e mails.
Give him time.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 06:52 PM   #2460
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,027
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Give him time.
I just read that Donnie Jr aka "Fredo" already has defended Gruden as have other right wing personalties.
They are not even bothering to hide the racism now.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 06:58 PM   #2461
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,223
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I just read that Donnie Jr aka "Fredo" already has defended Gruden as have other right wing personalties.
They are not even bothering to hide the racism now.
Not just racism; misogyny and bigotry ,too. It's what those who support him find so appealing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 09:01 PM   #2462
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 8,288
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
If the Senate of Arizona had any integrity, they'd ask for their money back. Cyber Ninjas clearly misrepresented themselves as competent. Clearly they were not.
Err... when was this? Cyber Ninjas was hired after the refusal to accept multiple competently done audits and it was very obviously hired because of the bias shown, rather than any claims to competence.

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
As stupid as it was, they paid for an audit. What they got was a clown show.
As was noted already, they paid for a clown show. They hoped it would undermine the fact that they lost fair and square.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2021, 09:40 PM   #2463
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 16,036
The results of the audit are irrelevant, only that they happened matter; as Trump told the DOJ: just say there was fraud; just like he told Zelinsky: just say there is an investigation.
All they want is an alternative narrative or three to confuse the issue and rig the elections while others are still trying to debunked their latest lies.
__________________
“You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
-Anne Lamott
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 03:15 AM   #2464
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,260
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't know, I keep on reading he was a latecomer to AC and the established Casinos had built loyal followings, and Trump was, despite the flash, to lure people away from their favorite casinos.
It is interesting that Trump has been so unsucessful in his attampts to get into the Las Vegas market.
It was my understanding that Nevada’s background checks and standards for potential casino owners is much different from New Jersey’s and that was the reason Trump built a hotel without applying for a casino license.

I suspect that he built his hotel off the strip because he thought his brand was so irresistibly desirable that people would not mind the inconvenience of a casino-less off-strip hotel.

ETA
my bad. Trump had previously held a Nevada casino license when he owned a stake in the Riviera.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.

Last edited by Ladewig; 13th October 2021 at 03:19 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:38 AM   #2465
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 100,337
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
It was my understanding that Nevada’s background checks and standards for potential casino owners is much different from New Jersey’s and that was the reason Trump built a hotel without applying for a casino license.

I suspect that he built his hotel off the strip because he thought his brand was so irresistibly desirable that people would not mind the inconvenience of a casino-less off-strip hotel.

ETA
my bad. Trump had previously held a Nevada casino license when he owned a stake in the Riviera.
He also out and out lied to the regulators about how he would fund the casinos. No "junk bonds" for him at ridiculous interest rates....
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:50 AM   #2466
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,816
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not just racism; misogyny and bigotry ,too. It's what those who support him find so appealing.
There is a Reason Maricopa County Arizona County was Birther USA, any other place would have laughed the Liars out of Town, but the Hate was strong in Maricopa.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:53 AM   #2467
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,817
Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
There is a Reason Maricopa County Arizona County was Birther USA, any other place would have laughed the Liars out of Town, but the Hate was strong in Maricopa.
Hate was strong with some of the loudest, but Maricopa went for Biden.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 07:38 AM   #2468
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 18,197
Can you say 'nepotism'?

From: The Guardian
It’s no secret that Donald Trump has something of a soft spot for his eldest daughter, Ivanka...She’s so good at all that numbers stuff that the former president even considered her for the top job at the World Bank in 2019. And that wasn’t just a fleeting fantasy, either; according to a recent report by the Intercept, Ivanka’s nomination for World Bank president “came incredibly close to happening”. The reason it didn’t is that Trump’s treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, intervened. Which, by the way is a rather different story from the one Ivanka tells. The former first daughter has said she passed on the job...

Now the question is why Mnuchin actually opposed the appointment.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 08:47 AM   #2469
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 29,526
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Can you say 'nepotism'?

From: The Guardian
It’s no secret that Donald Trump has something of a soft spot for his eldest daughter, Ivanka...She’s so good at all that numbers stuff that the former president even considered her for the top job at the World Bank in 2019. And that wasn’t just a fleeting fantasy, either; according to a recent report by the Intercept, Ivanka’s nomination for World Bank president “came incredibly close to happening”. The reason it didn’t is that Trump’s treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, intervened. Which, by the way is a rather different story from the one Ivanka tells. The former first daughter has said she passed on the job...

Now the question is why Mnuchin actually opposed the appointment.
One would like to think it's because Mnuchin realized she's an unqualified idiot, but the cynic in me thinks it might be because she was smarter than he was.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 09:57 AM   #2470
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,390
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
One would like to think it's because Mnuchin realized she's an unqualified idiot, but the cynic in me thinks it might be because she was smarter than he was.
Why not both?
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 03:26 PM   #2471
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 24,058
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Can you say 'nepotism'?

From: The Guardian
It’s no secret that Donald Trump has something of a soft spot for his eldest daughter, Ivanka...She’s so good at all that numbers stuff that the former president even considered her for the top job at the World Bank in 2019. And that wasn’t just a fleeting fantasy, either; according to a recent report by the Intercept, Ivanka’s nomination for World Bank president “came incredibly close to happening”. The reason it didn’t is that Trump’s treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, intervened. Which, by the way is a rather different story from the one Ivanka tells. The former first daughter has said she passed on the job...

Now the question is why Mnuchin actually opposed the appointment.
In this case, nepotism is a stand in for incest.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 03:36 PM   #2472
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,027
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
It was my understanding that Nevada’s background checks and standards for potential casino owners is much different from New Jersey’s and that was the reason Trump built a hotel without applying for a casino license.

I suspect that he built his hotel off the strip because he thought his brand was so irresistibly desirable that people would not mind the inconvenience of a casino-less off-strip hotel.

ETA
my bad. Trump had previously held a Nevada casino license when he owned a stake in the Riviera.
When did Trump own the stake in the Riviera?
I ask because if it was in the early 80's he had some interesting co stake owners.....until they went to prison for skimming the take. See the movie"Casino" for details. The Riviera was one of the Casinos deeply implicated in the scandle about Mob Inflitartion into Vegas.
The film is very accurate, but one of the liberties they took was to concentrate the story in one Casino, when in reality a number of Casinos were involved with the scandle.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th October 2021 at 03:38 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:21 PM   #2473
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 43,795
Meanwhile, Donny gets our hopes up:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...86456406347786

Quote:
Trump just threatened to have Republican voters stay home in 2022 and 2024 unless the party is able to "solve" (by which he seems to mean overturn) the result of the last presidential election, which he lost.
__________________
Every time you feed a troll, God kills a kitten. Please stop killing kittens.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:27 PM   #2474
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 18,197
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Meanwhile, Donny gets our hopes up:

Trump just threatened to have Republican voters stay home in 2022 and 2024 unless the party is able to "solve" (by which he seems to mean overturn) the result of the last presidential election, which he lost.
I wonder if it would be possible for a group like the Lincoln project to spin this into a campaign ad...

"See republicans? Trump wants you to sit out the election"
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:37 PM   #2475
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 43,795
The election is like the Kobayashi Maru test: the only way to win is to not play!
__________________
Every time you feed a troll, God kills a kitten. Please stop killing kittens.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:38 PM   #2476
kevbo
Thinker
 
kevbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rogue Valley, Oregon
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I wonder if it would be possible for a group like the Lincoln project to spin this into a campaign ad...

"See republicans? Trump wants you to sit out the election"
One can always hope. Trump is such a maroon, no common sense whatsoever.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:40 PM   #2477
kevbo
Thinker
 
kevbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rogue Valley, Oregon
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The election is like the Kobayashi Maru test: the only way to win is to not play!
Unless you cheat. Maybe Trump thinks he is Captain Kirk, "I changed the conditions of the test. "

Last edited by kevbo; 13th October 2021 at 04:44 PM.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:47 PM   #2478
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,027
The biggest development of the past week is Trump is now openly embracing the jan. 6th insurrectioinists. He sore or was doing it with a wind and a nod but now he is not even hiding it.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:49 PM   #2479
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 4,190
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
Unless you cheat. Maybe Trump thinks he is Captain Kirk, "I changed the conditions of the test. "
In his mind, Trump is Captain Kirk, Jesus, and the Emperor of the Universe.

Also all he knows is how to cheat.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:51 PM   #2480
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 18,197
Grifters gonna grift...

From: NBC News
The State Department inspector general is investigating whether Trump administration officials helped themselves to expensive Trump-branded gifts meant for foreign dignitaries....the missing items as gift bags meant for foreign leaders at a Group of Seven summit that was supposed to be held at Camp David in 2020 but was canceled...gift bags included leather portfolios, pewter trays and marble boxes with the presidential seal...The inspector general's broad look at missing gifts during the Trump administration also includes a whiskey bottle worth $5,800 that was given to then-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo by the Japanese but then disappeared.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.