IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Gladys Berejiklian , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 30th July 2021, 08:29 PM   #161
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Do you not have water cannons over there?

I'd use flamethrowers myself, but water would be a fair second. I see no reason to treat that filth with anything but the strongest response.
Well horses don’t work….

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 08:40 PM   #162
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I take no pleasure in this prediction, but NSW will exceed 400 within a week.
I'm just taking this opportunity to give you credit for your much earlier prediction that Sydney would be seeing a hundred cases per day.

If I recall correctly, you copped some undeserved flack for that.

The radio news this morning, reported that NSW had 212 new cases in the 24 hours up to 8pm on Friday.
Old 30th July 2021, 08:43 PM   #163
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Note, I don't know if this is true or not, but there was a lot of incredulity expressed here in South Australia, in response to news, that NSW was counting hair-dressers and fashion shops as "essential services" that had to remain open during their "lock down".

Can anyone from NSW confirm if that was the case, or was it just a media beat-up?
Old 30th July 2021, 08:53 PM   #164
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Note, I don't know if this is true or not, but there was a lot of incredulity expressed here in South Australia, in response to news, that NSW was counting hair-dressers and fashion shops as "essential services" that had to remain open during their "lock down".

Can anyone from NSW confirm if that was the case, or was it just a media beat-up?
Yes it was the case. There were videos of Bunnings and even Gucci outlets open.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 08:56 PM   #165
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I'm just taking this opportunity to give you credit for your much earlier prediction that Sydney would be seeing a hundred cases per day.

If I recall correctly, you copped some undeserved flack for that.

The radio news this morning, reported that NSW had 212 new cases in the 24 hours up to 8pm on Friday.
It’s not the raw numbers, it’s the non-isolated infected moving through the community.

In Melbourne “exercise” did not mean a casual stroll in Bondi or Manly. We know the drill, Sydney doesn’t.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 30th July 2021, 08:58 PM   #166
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Do you not have water cannons over there?

I'd use flamethrowers myself, but water would be a fair second. I see no reason to treat that filth with anything but the strongest response.
The thin blue line seems to have been enough.

Nobody turned up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...test/100339936
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2021, 11:34 PM   #167
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Who was Australia’s best prime minister? Experts rank the winners and dunces

tl;dr it was John Curtin.
Old 1st August 2021, 11:41 PM   #168
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Interesting list.

I would have rated Keating higher at number 3 (how that plodder Menzies was ranked higher than Keating is a joke). Whitlam had the panache and presence, but Keating did the heavy lifting with economic reform and superannuation.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:18 AM   #169
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

John Howard should have ranked higher for gun reform. Pity he saw how popular Pauline Hanson's One Nation was and perfected their policies. The classic example is the "children overboard." I think Trump could have learned a lot from what he did. In the end, he lost his popularity so badly that he is the only Australian PM to lose their seat, while PM.
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:30 AM   #170
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I would have rated Keating higher at number 3
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:35 AM   #171
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
In the end, he lost his popularity so badly that he is the only Australian PM to lose their seat, while PM.
That was by design. He was determined that Peter Costello would never be PM and since he was due to step down anyway, he brought in the unpopular "Work Choices" legislation which Costello was in favour of.

The thing is that even Tony Abbott saw that this was a loser so you can be sure that Howard knew this too.

Last edited by psionl0; 2nd August 2021 at 12:36 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:47 AM   #172
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Speaking of whom, did you notice who was a strong contender for knocking Billy McMahon off the title for worst PM?
Old 2nd August 2021, 05:25 AM   #173
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

...how that plodder Menzies was ranked higher than Keating is a joke...
Reds under the bed! Communists everywhere! I did but see her walking by! Etc., etc., etc. The man was a master of beat-up politics and coasting on other peoples' successes. And he had one Golden Rule for his cabinet and team as PM: You don't **** up...full stop.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2021, 06:05 AM   #174
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Yeah, an utterly surprising response..

I just saw Rudd on Four Corners and think even now he would beat Morrison in the next election, but Albo won’t.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd August 2021, 06:23 AM   #175
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Keating took away all the checks and balances from the banks. The aftermath of that "reform" was exploding house prices resulting in interest rates at loan shark levels and a nationwide recession.

You would have to be insane to think that any of that was good.
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:58 AM   #176
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

I'm guessing that 'Sovereign Citizens' were behind this plot...

Quote:
Counter-terrorism officers have thwarted a bizarre plot to overthrow the Morrison government, install a new federal police force and arrest senior MPs and bureaucrats.

Police involved in raids across three states on Saturday sought to downplay the alleged coup plot, saying there's nothing to suggest those behind it had the ability to execute it.

But AFP Acting Assistant Commissioner Andrew Donoghoe said the group's intentions were made clear in a fake video that's been circulating online, purporting to feature AFP Commissioner Reece Kershaw.

https://au.yahoo.com/news/man-busted...045427577.html

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:58 PM   #177
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It wasn't "a bizarre plot to overthrow the Morrison government", it was a not-very-elaborate troll.
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:20 AM   #178
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I just saw Rudd on Four Corners and think even now he would beat Morrison in the next election, but Albo won’t.
I could beat Morrison at the next election. You could too. A brown dog could as well.

Sorry, Albo. I like you as a person and you are an able operator. But PM material you are not. You make John Howard look like a sparkling personality.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 12:08 AM   #179
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This may be worth posting in another thread, but...

Hillsong leader Brian Houston charged over the concealment of alleged child sex offences

Quote:
Hillsong founder Brian Houston has been charged with allegedly concealing information about child sexual abuse following a two-year investigation.

Sources close to the investigation have revealed Mr Houston, 67, is accused of failing to report the historic alleged abuse of a young male by his late father — Frank Houston.

"Police will allege in court the man knew information relating to the sexual abuse of a young male in the 1970s and failed to bring that information to the attention of police," a NSW Police spokesperson said.

Detectives served his lawyer with a court attendance notice, which requires the pastor to appear before a Sydney magistrate at the Downing Centre on October 5.

Brian Houston has been charged with concealing a serious indictable offence.
Isn't Houston one of Scotty's mates?
Old 5th August 2021, 12:58 AM   #180
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Was there a mandatory reporting requirement in the 1970s?

Isn't Houston one of Scotty's mates?
Ex mate if Scumo knows anything about politics. In any case, maybe Scumo knew about the allegations and could be charged with the same offense?
Old 5th August 2021, 01:11 AM   #181
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Was there a mandatory reporting requirement in the 1970s?
My admittedly brief search suggests that the first mandatory reporting laws came into force in SA in 1969 so I'm going to say it's entirely possible.
Old 5th August 2021, 01:53 AM   #182
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

My admittedly brief search suggests that the first mandatory reporting laws came into force in SA in 1969 so I'm going to say it's entirely possible.
It would be interesting to know more about this. Does the mandatory reporting requirement apply to all members of the public or just certain groups of people such as teachers or health care professionals? You you have to alert the police even if all you have heard is Mrs Kravitz repeating gossip that she heard from a friend telling another friend?
Old 5th August 2021, 08:23 PM   #183
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

NSW has nearly 300 new cases today. It would not surprise that Eid seeded this surge. 50 people in that figure were in the community for the whole time.

Bunnings still open.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 5th August 2021, 08:39 PM   #184
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It would be interesting to know more about this. Does the mandatory reporting requirement apply to all members of the public or just certain groups of people such as teachers or health care professionals? You you have to alert the police even if all you have heard is Mrs Kravitz repeating gossip that she heard from a friend telling another friend?
The details vary state by state so you'd need to look it up for your own location, but my understanding is that here in the ACT, if I come across credible evidence that child abuse is occurring, yes, I have a duty to report that. No, this doesn't mean I have to report Mrs Kravitz' gossip. But if I happen to be using Mrs Kravitz' computer to quickly check my emails during a party and I accidentally discover child exploitation material, I am required to report it.

Honestly, if that happened I'd probably report it even if it wasn't mandatory. I think any decent person would.
Old 6th August 2021, 01:05 AM   #185
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The details vary state by state so you'd need to look it up for your own location, but my understanding is that here in the ACT, if I come across credible evidence that child abuse is occurring, yes, I have a duty to report that. No, this doesn't mean I have to report Mrs Kravitz' gossip. But if I happen to be using Mrs Kravitz' computer to quickly check my emails during a party and I accidentally discover child exploitation material, I am required to report it.

Honestly, if that happened I'd probably report it even if it wasn't mandatory. I think any decent person would.
The AIFS web site (https://aifs.gov.au/cfca/publication...se-and-neglect) gives more details.

Mandatory reporting does not apply to ALL adults (except in the NT) but in most states, ministers of religion are included.
Old 6th August 2021, 03:12 AM   #186
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

NSW has nearly 300 new cases today. It would not surprise that Eid seeded this surge. 50 people in that figure were in the community for the whole time.

Bunnings still open.
I see Victoria started another shutdown today. I remain unconvinced the Indian variant can be shut down without a Wuhan-style total ban on movement.

The costs must be starting to get a little out of control over there.
Old 6th August 2021, 03:21 AM   #187
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I see Victoria started another shutdown today. I remain unconvinced the Indian variant can be shut down without a Wuhan-style total ban on movement.

The costs must be starting to get a little out of control over there.
The costs are bearable. We will bounce back well enough.

Sadly one or my daughters will have to cancel her wedding for a second time. She’s unconsolable, but another daughter has come to the fore. She has found a date in September which works.

Sorry about the derail.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 6th August 2021, 07:35 PM   #188
Wildy
Adelaidean

Bunnings still open.
It seems the "gold standard" continues to be a roaring success for Covid.
Old 6th August 2021, 07:49 PM   #189
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
It seems the "gold standard" continues to be a roaring success for Covid.
"Gold standard" has, of course, been replaced by "toughest lockdown in Australia" which is utter ********. Even my grandchildren know better than to tell big lies, but the NSW "government" seems to believe that the more often you repeat a lie, the more likely people are to believe it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 6th August 2021, 11:19 PM   #190
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

"Gold standard" has, of course, been replaced by "toughest lockdown in Australia" which is utter ********. Even my grandchildren know better than to tell big lies, but the NSW "government" seems to believe that the more often you repeat a lie, the more likely people are to believe it.
Looking at the figures for NSW I keep. I can find no evidence that the lockdown will reduce the numbers. These have been going up by about 44% per week since mid-July and no sign they are going down. Suggest the only way for this outbreak to be bought under control would be for Daniel Andrews, or maybe his clone, to take over the Government.
Old 6th August 2021, 11:45 PM   #191
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Looking at the figures for NSW I keep. I can find no evidence that the lockdown will reduce the numbers. These have been going up by about 44% per week since mid-July and no sign they are going down. Suggest the only way for this outbreak to be bought under control would be for Daniel Andrews, or maybe his clone, to take over the Government.
I think Dan will win the next Victorian election easily and then contest the Federal election as Labor leader.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th August 2021, 06:51 PM   #192
Orphia Nay
Tagger

It's the Clayton's lockdown. The lockdown you have when you're not having a lockdown.

It may be the toughest for Gladys because she's made it so complicated by shutting down individual local government areas. So many rules and exemptions for people to get confused about and want to say "**** it".

Gladys always says, "Can I just say" or "let me say this". She's so timid.

I think Dan will win the next Victorian election easily and then contest the Federal election as Labor leader.
I hope so.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 09:24 PM   #193
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Victorians know how to lock down. The New South Welsh clearly do not.

Also, is it just me or is this... a weird thing to say?

Originally Posted by Scotty from Marketing
Australians have the grit, the determination and the character to prevail. There may not be gold medals as I wrote recently, Mr Speaker, for being a single parent, for running a small business, for doing the night shift at an emergency department or aged care facility, to be out there at the vaccination hubs, for volunteering for your local surf lifesaving club or your bushfire brigade, Mr Speaker, but if there were, Australia would be at the top of the gold medal tally I’m quite certain.

And this is why I’m so confident Australia will pull through this current challenge of the covid-19 pandemic. We won’t let it beat us, we won’t let our frustration get the better of us, we won’t let negativity overwhelm our optimism. We will urge each other on, we will just put our head down and keep pressing on and we will succeed, that is the Australian way.
source
Old 8th August 2021, 09:30 PM   #194
Orphia Nay
Tagger

It took them a year or more but they're finally using Dan's saying "you need to lock down hard and fast"... this time two months too late.

source
It's certainly jingoistic. Straight out of the fifties, I think.
Old 9th August 2021, 04:57 AM   #195
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Bunnings still open.
So there are lots of Muslims in the Hunter Valley? Mid-west NSW? Armidale and New England?

These scattered outbreaks came about two weeks after those stupid anti-vaxx, anti-mask rallies. All sorts of people from many different places turning up, no masks, all crowded and shouting, and a few of them infected who conveniently didn't know or didn't tell. So it just might be predictable they take it with them back to wherever the hell they all came from...the Hunter Valley. Mid-west NSW. Armidale and New England. And more. And we could then expect "untraceable" outbreaks there too, beginning after the usual COVID incubation period of about two weeks from infection.

What are the chances...?

Don't attribute to malice what can more easily be attributed to pig-headed stupidity.
Old 9th August 2021, 05:26 AM   #196
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
So there are lots of Muslims in the Hunter Valley? Mid-west NSW? Armidale and New England?

These scattered outbreaks came about two weeks after those stupid anti-vaxx, anti-mask rallies. All sorts of people from many different places turning up, no masks, all crowded and shouting, and a few of them infected who conveniently didn't know or didn't tell. So it just might be predictable they take it with them back to wherever the hell they all came from...the Hunter Valley. Mid-west NSW. Armidale and New England. And more. And we could then expect "untraceable" outbreaks there too, beginning after the usual COVID incubation period of about two weeks from infection.

What are the chances...?

Don't attribute to malice what can more easily be attributed to pig-headed stupidity.
Who knows, but the parts of Melbourne and Sydney where the outbreaks took hold and accelerated have have large Islamic populations. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 9th August 2021, 07:06 AM   #197
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Who knows, but the parts of Melbourne and Sydney where the outbreaks took hold and accelerated have have large Islamic populations. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.
They also have large Hindu populations, and many Asian populations, and Pacific Island populations. Let's generalise.
Old 9th August 2021, 04:50 PM   #198
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
<snip>

It's certainly jingoistic. Straight out of the fifties, I think.

The Fifties (or an idealized recollection of the era, at least) are very popular among certain political circles.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 05:27 PM   #199
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

source
It is a very Scott Morrison thing to say. He still seems to be convinced that being PM is a marketing role and that he is marketing to not very bright children.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 01:31 AM   #200
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Brad (Health) Hazzard said in the press conference today “you can’t legislate ignorance, arrogance and entitlement”. Look in the mirror dickhead.

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics